[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Basketball Program  (Read 31377 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: MU Basketball Program
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2021, 09:29:18 PM »
if were being serious if theo wasnt on our team nobody on here would like him. look at the words used on here to describe the seton hall big man. "punk" "thug". and why exactly. theo has given death stares, stood over people, and thrown elbows etc. now hes getting into twitter crap. whats so great about how he represents the uni? seems like any other guy

This is probably the cold hard truth honestly. At least in basketball. I have zero knowledge of him outside of the sport.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2021, 09:31:58 PM »
Did you ever stop to think that the players and the coaches don’t give a flying unnatural carnal knowledge what you and I and all the other entitled POS fans think?  Probably can’t wrap your head around that can you?

They absolutely care. We are the only reason they have scholarships/jobs. Fans' opinions matter. Theo cared enough to respond to a random tweet with very little traction. Wojo cares enough that comments are now turned off on some of the official mubb channels.

Why do they play in the nicest basketball stadium in America? Why do these guys fly in chartered jets when they travel? Why does Wojo make millions? It's all because fans care enough to spend time and money to watch the team play.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2021, 09:32:01 PM »
"Not quitting" isn't too much to ask nor should it really be commended.  This is competitive sports. I understand the desire to be empathetic towards the players.  It's been a tough year for everyone and I do feel for these guys as well as all the kids now in college.   At the same time we don't praise anyone, including 18-22 year olds, for "not quitting" in whatever job they have or field of study they have chosen.

I think the conversation about not quitting is in response to those who have called out the players for quitting. Basketball players should not be commended for not quitting, of course, but they can and should be defended if they aren’t when someone says they are. We should be empathetic all the time not just during Covid. That doesn’t mean we have to agree, or can’t criticize, or can’t ask questions, but it does me that we have no idea how Theo is feeling or what he is dealing with. Maybe he was rubbed because he is clearly injured/knicked and he went out there and busted his ass for us and our university, for himself, for his team. He is a young man first. A fellow member of the Marquette family. A young man who wants to make a difference. A young man who has worked harder at something than most will ever experience at a high level. He can be challenged for his decisions of trying to block everything, for not looking/passing opposite in the post, for unnecessary fouls. Remember he is a 20 something human being...first.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2021, 09:32:09 PM »
I've got to think Theo will get his hand slapped for that. Why respond to such a vanilla post? I'm actually surprised he hasn't been told to delete the post yet. If that's his reaction internally, that's fine, good even, but you can't share that thought when you're part of the public eye like he is. Being in the spotlight is a double-edged sword. MU's staff needs to remind the players of that.

Plus, what are we supposed to have faith in? This season is lost. No chance at the NCAA's, no chance at a winning conference record, and very likely we finish under. 500 for the year.

The faith is hoping for a run in the bet? I guess? Were 9-12. All good faith is out the window for wojo.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2021, 09:35:39 PM »
Your Mom should make sure she monitors your time on internet and your courageous comments reflects someone who hides behind his keyboard. You are an idiot and likely not an MU grad that suggests courage does not include making statements on and off the courts that Theo has made. Go back to Madison where you belong  where black students are less than 2 % of  students on campus.. including the football team.......

Wooooah, that's not a good look for a Marquette grad.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2021, 09:37:30 PM »
This is an absolute dumpster fire

Agree. Marquette had TOP 10 Attendance in the Nation last 2 Years. Wish we had a Team to match. Frustrating and disappointing. Go Marquette.

panda

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2021, 09:39:57 PM »
Agree. Marquette had TOP 10 Attendance in the Nation last 2 Years. Wish we had a Team to match. Frustrating and disappointing. Go Marquette.

I was speaking more towards Theo and DJ’s mom getting on Twitter fights under the Marquette main account, but this is also accurate.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2021, 09:40:39 PM »
They absolutely care. We are the only reason they have scholarships/jobs. Fans' opinions matter. Theo cared enough to respond to a random tweet with very little traction. Wojo cares enough that comments are now turned off on some of the official mubb channels.

Why do they play in the nicest basketball stadium in America? Why do these guys fly in chartered jets when they travel? Why does Wojo make millions? It's all because fans care enough to spend time and money to watch the team play.
This is rich. I hope this was supposed to be in teal

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2021, 09:40:51 PM »
.. I just reported him on Twitter. 

You're kidding, right?

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2021, 09:41:39 PM »
Your Mom should make sure she monitors your time on internet and your courageous comments reflects someone who hides behind his keyboard. You are an idiot and likely not an MU grad that suggests courage does not include making statements on and off the courts that Theo has made. Go back to Madison where you belong  where black students are less than 2 % of  students on campus.. including the football team.......

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2021, 09:48:41 PM »
This is rich. I hope this was supposed to be in teal

So your take is that fans don't matter to sports teams? And that the economics of high-major basketball don't rely on fans being involved and invested?

Warrior-Eagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2021, 09:56:47 PM »

A curious image of of a young African American from a 1968 graduate of MU regarding defending THEO as an advocate for his team.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2021, 09:58:20 PM »
A curious image of of a young African American from a 1968 graduate of MU regarding defending THEO as an advocate for his team.

Can I have some? It's not legal here yet.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2021, 10:00:35 PM »
[quote author=Silent Verbal link=topic=61447.msg1309457#msg1309457

and were a big time jerk to anyone who dared question his greatness. 

This is wades in literally any thread on scoop.

How are the hats coming along?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2021, 10:00:40 PM »
"Not quitting" isn't too much to ask nor should it really be commended.  This is competitive sports. I understand the desire to be empathetic towards the players.  It's been a tough year for everyone and I do feel for these guys as well as all the kids now in college.   At the same time we don't praise anyone, including 18-22 year olds, for "not quitting" in whatever job they have or field of study they have chosen.

You missed the point and what it was in response to. It was simply that while it's fair to question the talent, performance and coaching of  the team, questioning their heart and effort is baseless. In no way was I saying they should be praised for "not quitting".

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2021, 10:03:58 PM »
The irony of Scoopers calling Wojo and the team thin skinned and then being offended by Theo’s Tweet is rich.

No one is offended by John’s tweet. But it’s a horrible look for the university and program he represents.  Some here are honest enough to admit that.  It leaves  out Wades World of course because you’re never interested in any honest discourse.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2021, 10:09:42 PM »
You missed the point and what it was in response to. It was simply that while it's fair to question the talent, performance and coaching of  the team, questioning their heart and effort is baseless. In no way was I saying they should be praised for "not quitting".

Okay. Fair enough VBMG.  We have an insane amount of work to do moving forward.

connie

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2021, 10:12:25 PM »
So far in response to criticism I see players telling fans that "if they don't like it don't watch" and "STFU," leading me to believe that the level of academics at my beloved MU is now equal to the level of in-game coaching.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2021, 10:15:38 PM »
So far in response to criticism I see players telling fans that "if they don't like it don't watch" and "STFU," leading me to believe that the level of academics at my beloved MU is now equal to the level of in-game coaching.

Whoa....

That was a thunderous retort Connie!

Well played. 

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2021, 10:31:32 PM »
You're kidding, right?

Eh...if you look at all this guys tweets today, I don’t blame him for reporting.  Criticism of hoops is one thing - it changes when the conversation changes to race or saying a kid faked mental health issues.  That crosses the line. 

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2021, 10:38:28 PM »
Okay. Fair enough VBMG.  We have an insane amount of work to do moving forward.

Insane amount of work, indeed Muggsy.

See my most recent post under the Northwestern thread.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2021, 10:44:00 PM »
I like Theo and, to the best of my knowledge, he has represented Marquette well on and off the court. I am on his side.

Having said that, an athlete doesn't win these kinds of social-media fights. I wish Theo hadn't responded.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2021, 11:09:54 PM »
I like Theo and, to the best of my knowledge, he has represented Marquette well on and off the court. I am on his side.

Having said that, an athlete doesn't win these kinds of social-media fights. I wish Theo hadn't responded.

Agreed.  It's also worth noting that fans have not been to Fiserv this season.  My gut feeling is that things would not be pretty in a full house the past few games.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2021, 06:58:06 AM »
The problem with social media here is whoever is running the @MarquetteMBB account. Everyone knows the program is a dumpster fire and yet they continue to tag the players in their posts. The reason Theo & Jen Carton were alerted to the responses was because Marquette's own social media manager tagged those accounts, which meant every response to the original tweet would also tag them unless the user went out of their way to remove those tags. Marquette should be smarter than that as they are opening up their players to abuse which leads to these kinds of interactions that make everyone involved look bad. Shame on Marquette for not being smarter than that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2021, 07:12:03 AM »
The irony of Scoopers calling Wojo and the team thin skinned and then being offended by Theo’s Tweet is rich.
his right to communicate as he did. No one is saying he should be asked to walk. However, he reps MU wearing the uni.

feedback