[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We're not a top 150 team  (Read 5767 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
We're not a top 150 team
« on: February 14, 2021, 04:02:30 PM »
This performance just reaffirmed that fact.  The Hall probably played their worst game all season.  Again, another game right there for the taking and we laid an Ostrich egg.  F performance, no credit for the score being competitive.  Will we beat Butler?  DePaul?  Both?  Neither?

RIP Marquette Gyros

• Walk-On
Re: We're not a top 150 team
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 04:05:56 PM »
We need a rebuild now. Wojos gotta go

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 04:25:47 PM »
I understand the frustration, believe me I do.  But to totally discredit the positives on the defensive end is disingenuous.

Seton Hall came in as the 17th best offense according to KenPom and we held them to 37% and 27% from 3 and forced 15 TO's.

If there was any kind of scoring, they win the game, but lets not at least acknowledge improvement when we see it.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 04:29:32 PM »
I understand the frustration, believe me I do.  But to totally discredit the positives on the defensive end is disingenuous.

Seton Hall came in as the 17th best offense according to KenPom and we held them to 37% and 27% from 3 and forced 15 TO's.

If there was any kind of scoring, they win the game, but lets not at least acknowledge improvement when we see it.
Unfortunately the game was so ugly it is hard to take anything positive away from it. But good on you for doing so.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 04:30:29 PM »

when you lose almost every game why the hell does it matter if they did ok in one aspect. great defesnse and were a cellar dweller big east team with crap fundamentals and coaching. yippe ky ehhh

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 04:30:45 PM »
This performance just reaffirmed that fact.  The Hall probably played their worst game all season.  Again, another game right there for the taking and we laid an Ostrich egg.  F performance, no credit for the score being competitive.  Will we beat Butler?  DePaul?  Both?  Neither?

This isn't a reasonable take. You can't give Seton Hall zero credit for making our offense look bad and us zero credit for making their offense look bad.

Honestly, we outplayed Seton Hall. Beat em on the boards, beat em on turnovers, beat em on fouls. We clanked open look after open look. They clanked plenty of point blankers but overall our defense was challenging them more than they were challenging us.

Doesn't matter though. At large berth is now officially impossible (it already wasn't happening). Coaches that go this far backwards don't get it done. Wojo's got to go.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 04:33:13 PM »
the craptiest of two crapty teams today...

O basketball IQ - do they lead the NCAA in shot clock violations?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 04:40:16 PM »
This isn't a reasonable take. You can't give Seton Hall zero credit for making our offense look bad and us zero credit for making their offense look bad.

Honestly, we outplayed Seton Hall. Beat em on the boards, beat em on turnovers, beat em on fouls. We clanked open look after open look. They clanked plenty of point blankers but overall our defense was challenging them more than they were challenging us.

Doesn't matter though. At large berth is now officially impossible (it already wasn't happening). Coaches that go this far backwards don't get it done. Wojo's got to go.

I wanted him to succeed and was one of the last on the sinking ship screaming for patience but can’t bury my head in the sand any longer.  If there is not a change this spring, next season attendance and fan behavior at games will get embarrassing.

Get ready for another 2-3 years before we can begin to expect to be competitive, what a mess

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 04:42:56 PM »
if we knew 10 years ago there wouldnt be a single tourney win in the next ten plus years.. just sucks. ur right gonna be at least 2 years before they are maybe somewhat good

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 04:43:04 PM »

I'm not sure how much either defense had to do with the ugly offense.  Both teams got shots and missed. SH happened to suck a little less. The bottom line is Marquette lost.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 04:45:11 PM »
Let me ask our great fans a question:

Was there a single second in your mind when this game was 2-4 pts that you thought we would pull this out?  This team has absolutely no clue how to execute down the stretch or play winning basketball.  They are so poorly coached that at times I think I'm watching 6th grade basketball. 

In the last 7 mins of the game The Hall was in the penalty.  At this time in the contest we were about as successful scoring with the 3-Ball as a nun at a convent.  So what do we proceed to do?  Launch triple, after triple, after triple, after triple, etc., etc, etc.  Terrible execution and poise, atrocious coaching.  Period.  We constantly beat ourselves and right now are at rock bottom.  It was a crappy performance as was Wednesday night.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 04:47:06 PM by MuggsyB »

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 04:47:01 PM »

I watched lots of Mike Deane basketball where MU held a team to poor shooting, but MU couldn’t do anything offensively.

Mike Deane was fired.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 04:49:23 PM »

Is improving on one end and regressing on the other really something to be celebrated?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »
if we knew 10 years ago there wouldnt be a single tourney win in the next ten plus years.. just sucks. ur right gonna be at least 2 years before they are maybe somewhat good

Actually in the last 10 years we’ve won 7 NCAA tournament games - S16 in 2011, S16 in 2012, E8 in 2013. But it seems like longer.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 04:58:24 PM »
Actually in the last 10 years we’ve won 7 NCAA tournament games - S16 in 2011, S16 in 2012, E8 in 2013. But it seems like longer.
yep. guess i ment more like 7 years ago

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 04:58:49 PM »
This - at no time in the game they were a threat to win the game.  Except at maybe 0-0...

Let me ask our great fans a question:

Was there a single second in your mind when this game was 2-4 pts that you thought we would pull this out?  This team has absolutely no clue how to execute down the stretch or play winning basketball.  They are so poorly coached that at times I think I'm watching 6th grade basketball. 

In the last 7 mins of the game The Hall was in the penalty.  At this time in the contest we were about as successful scoring with the 3-Ball as a nun at a convent.  So what do we proceed to do?  Launch triple, after triple, after triple, after triple, etc., etc, etc.  Terrible execution and poise, atrocious coaching.  Period.  We constantly beat ourselves and right now are at rock bottom.  It was a crappy performance as was Wednesday night.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 05:04:14 PM »

STeam shot  30% from the field and 12% from the three. We will beat nobody ( which we are well on our way to doing) shooting that poorly.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 05:10:02 PM »
Kevin Willard said in the post game that Marquette has been playing really well.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 05:13:17 PM »
Kevin Willard said in the post game that Marquette has been playing really well.
lol so patronizing

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 05:15:25 PM »

I just spit-up my coffee.  Lol.

panda

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 05:15:41 PM »
I’d love Wojo if I were a BE coach too.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 05:17:21 PM »

For the first time in a long time I wasn’t pissed. We played D, we moved on offense, drove and dished, we got a TON of open shots. Yeah, a lot of the same old crap, too, but I thought besides shooting it wasn’t a bad effort.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 05:30:51 PM »
I’d love Wojo if I were a BE coach too.

Epic.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 05:55:44 PM »
Was there a single second in your mind when this game was 2-4 pts that you thought we would pull this out?

I thought we might, because the season doesn't really matter anymore. It would be like hitting a buzzer beating three when you're down by 7, which I feel is right in our wheelhouse.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2021, 06:01:25 PM »
yep. guess i ment more like 7 years ago
I thought you meant that 7 years ago when we hired Wojo it meant 10 years w/o an NCAA win (it is starting to look like that now, especially if we keep him one more year) we would have been unhappy, and that made sense to me.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

feedback