Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cliche Nova  (Read 8562 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Cliche Nova
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2021, 09:22:14 AM »
Watt wee kneed iz an insurrection at Zilber, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2021, 09:24:31 AM »
Most discouraging thing to me in last night's loss were how many poor, lazy passes we threw on the perimeter.

It's one thing to commit a turnover while trying to make a perfect pass for a dunk, or trying to drive to the hoop. Those often are forgivable.

But to be 30-35 feet away from the basket and to throw a soft, telegraphed pass that is easily stolen and often converted into an easy hoop ... that sucks. And to do it again and again and again and again -- not just in this game or this season, but for years -- it REALLY sucks, and it speaks very poorly of the coach (and some of the players).

Sometimes it isn't just the passer, either. It is the intended recipient just standing 30 feet away from the hoop with his hand up. He makes himself a poor target, doesn't battle for position, doesn't step to the ball. When I was an assistant HS coach, our head coach was constantly demanding: "Step to the ball!" If you didn't step to the ball for a pass in practice, the entire team had to run. In games, we rarely failed to step to the ball.

So either Wojo is not emphasizing these kinds of basic fundamentals in practice, or his players are incapable of following the most basic of basketball tenets. Frankly, I find the latter hard to believe.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2021, 09:37:29 AM »
Does anyone have the points off of turns stat tonight.  I'm guessing Nova had over 24.

Villanova scored 30 points on Warrior turnovers. As noted before, a good coach teaches first and then coaches. An indication a coach is not teaching is the coach's team have the same shortcoming year to year, team to team - as in, turnovers. Wojo is not teaching.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2021, 09:52:47 AM »
You said three after the Providence game. We had this talk before our last loss where I said "my bad you did say three but it was after the Providence game not before" then I found this quote where is says three.

I also said this:

It wasn't two games ago, it was last game. Or if it was two games ago it was four more regular season losses. That's changed a little with the Nova game because that changes the math required to make the tournament. And there's a difference for me between deciding that I don't think he's the guy and expecting the university to fire him despite the pandemic.

It's always been about whether or not we make the tournament (I have zero expectation that we do). Adding a Q1A game like at Nova changed the math.

Thank you, that’s what I thought as well.  There’s this great book by Charles Jackson called “The Lost Weekend” where the main character describes his alcoholism by saying, “One is too many and a hundred’s not enough.”  I think you could sort of rework that quote to describe how many more losses TAMU needs to see before he wants Wojo fired:  “One isn’t enough and neither is 100.”

Nope, one more will be sufficient...unless we make up the two open games on our schedule.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2021, 09:57:57 AM »
I also said this:

It's always been about whether or not we make the tournament (I have zero expectation that we do). Adding a Q1A game like at Nova changed the math.

Nope, one more will be sufficient...unless we make up the two open games on our schedule.

I'll start reading a little closer next time rather than skimming.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »
Villanova scored 30 points on Warrior turnovers. As noted before, a good coach teaches first and then coaches. An indication a coach is not teaching is the coach's team have the same shortcoming year to year, team to team - as in, turnovers. Wojo is not teaching.

Very reasonable point.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2021, 10:29:41 AM »

Part of this is player development.

Part of this is recruiting.

Part of this is scheme.

All of it falls under the Head Coach's ultimate responsibilities for a program.

feedback