'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2025 Bracketology by mugrad_89
[Today at 08:35:04 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 10:10:15 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Lennys Tap
[June 20, 2024, 08:26:59 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Warriors4ever
[June 20, 2024, 07:45:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 05:24:06 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[June 20, 2024, 02:56:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Carton, Justin Lewis, Dawson Garcia: How many transfer?  (Read 27692 times)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Re: DJ Carton, Justin Lewis, Dawson Garcia: How many transfer?
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2021, 07:01:18 AM »

Eye could bea NBA bound two. Just gotta grow 8 inches, hey?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #176 on: February 02, 2021, 07:37:58 AM »

At this point I really have no idea who would or could be viable options. I have always been a swing for the fences person, but I do not know what direction MU wants to go moving forward. However, I do strongly believe that Wardle should not even be in a conversation regarding the HC position at MU.
Wish I knew or had an idea what to do in regards of HC at MU. I do think Wojo is back next season and we can do this all over again  next year. Unless he leaves on his own I do not see a coaching change happening.

This is where I am, too, Goose.

We can name a dozen or more names, but who really knows which coaches will be available and will want the job? Wardle ... I won't be violently ill if he gets it (as some Scoopers apparently will be), and I will give him a chance. But I like to think we can do better than Wardle, or Moser for that matter. But history suggests that maybe we can't do much better with our coaching hires.

Like you, I also think Wojo will be back next season no matter what. That's disappointing but it's out of our control, which is why I refuse to let it make me crazy.

Hopeless optimist that I am, I will watch the rest of our games looking for signs that the future will be brighter. I still enjoy watching our guys work hard and occasionally play well.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #177 on: February 02, 2021, 07:48:53 AM »

We can name a dozen or more names, but who really knows which coaches will be available and will want the job? Wardle ... I won't be violently ill if he gets it (as some Scoopers apparently will be), and I will give him a chance. But I like to think we can do better than Wardle, or Moser for that matter. But history suggests that maybe we can't do much better with our coaching hires.

Like you, I also think Wojo will be back next season no matter what. That's disappointing but it's out of our control, which is why I refuse to let it make me crazy.

Hopeless optimist that I am, I will watch the rest of our games looking for signs that the future will be brighter. I still enjoy watching our guys work hard and occasionally play well.

As I have noted before, Wojo is a no go as far as firing. He will be back next year and, like you Brother MU, we can hope for better things next year.

For me, this normally is the time I’m getting amped up about MU basketball. Early February means we should be ranked, our tournament chances are good and we’re just arrogant enough to believe we can kick the crap out of Villanova.

But, alas, this year I’m focused on baseball. My Cardinals suddenly gave me hope for the coming season. I’ll probably go to Jupiter, assuming there are crowds at spring training, watch them a few times and get psyched for the season.

Our Warriors are an afterthought. I’ll watch them long enough to get frustrated but not long enough to damage my new TV set after throwing something at it. They’re just not worth the investment this year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2021, 07:51:29 AM »
Can we just end the Wardle Lovefest now? Is this the bar y'all aspire to reach? Man 'o man what has this dude ever done on a mid-major level to warrant a jump to MU. Nice that he's an alum. Great, many of us are. No wonder mediocre is the new greatness, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #179 on: February 02, 2021, 08:02:56 AM »

At this point I really have no idea who would or could be viable options. I have always been a swing for the fences person, but I do not know what direction MU wants to go moving forward. However, I do strongly believe that Wardle should not even be in a conversation regarding the HC position at MU.
Wish I knew or had an idea what to do in regards of HC at MU. I do think Wojo is back next season and we can do this all over again  next year. Unless he leaves on his own I do not see a coaching change happening.
Finding the correct head coach is not the responsibility of jabronis posting on Scoop. I always find it amusing when someone uses the argument that we can’t replace the coach because some poster on MUScoop can’t name anyone better.  If Wardle had no ties to MU, he wouldn’t even be considered as a qualified candidate. Bringing in the wrong person just because he played for the team is a terrible idea. (See Bart Starr, Forest Gregg)

Viper

• All American
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2021, 08:05:41 AM »
Boston College has money and will have an opening in a few weeks.

I don't think it being Jesuit it is as important as being at a school with a similar environment, standards, and institutional values. I once interviewed an Evangelical Christian coach for a job at a Catholic school and he openly said he wasn't unfamiliar and not sure how he'd sell the Catholic identity of the school.
there are a lot of MU alums in my family. My dad was a MU prof. None were/are Catholic. It wasn’t even a thought one way or the other. Point is, not sure a coach is selling a religious identity or religious culture when recruiting. More so, it’s team culture, coaching style, facilities, conference, TV appearances, campus, academics, et al.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2021, 08:21:54 AM »
The idea that non-Catholics can't understand or sell the mission of a Catholic school is nonsense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2021, 08:25:08 AM »
The idea that non-Catholics can't understand or sell the mission of a Catholic school is nonsense.

The infidels are not worthy
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2021, 09:11:01 AM »
hairy

I have nothing against Wardle, but IMO he is definitely not the answer. I have said for years that if MU wants stability in the program they should cut the budget in half, pay Wardle $600k a year and he will be here for twenty years. Again, that is an option, but one that likely shows the importance of having a nationally recognized program is no longer a priority. MU has tough decisions to make moving forward and not making a move it probably the worst move possible.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2021, 09:39:48 AM »

I have nothing against Wardle, but IMO he is definitely not the answer. I have said for years that if MU wants stability in the program they should cut the budget in half, pay Wardle $600k a year and he will be here for twenty years. Again, that is an option, but one that likely shows the importance of having a nationally recognized program is no longer a priority. MU has tough decisions to make moving forward and not making a move it probably the worst move possible.
I am afraid we are here already. How else can you explain hanging on to a guy with 0 tournament wins in 6.5 years going on 7?  I don’t think running a clean program and winning games are mutually exclusive.

• All American
« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2021, 09:41:48 AM »
I am afraid we are here already. How else can you explain hanging on to a guy with 0 tournament wins in 6.5 years going on 7?  I don’t think running a clean program and winning games are mutually exclusive.

When should they have fired him?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2021, 09:49:35 AM »

They shouldn't have. It's a situation where the sum of the parts are greater than the whole.

Individually:
A20 win season but no post season is decent not great and a bit disappointing.
A tournament appearance is good
An NIT where we just missed the cutoff is decent but disappointing.
A 5 seed is good but given where we were a couple weeks prior it's  disappointing.
A likely tournament appearance is good but we were collapsing again.

None of those are bad to enough to give a fireable moment and yet when you look at the body of work as a whole you can't help but sigh. So this year is the first truly fireable year (likely as Brew stated it is theoretically possible we still limp in)
Maigh Eo for Sam

connie

• All American
« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2021, 09:54:13 AM »

The day after this season ends.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2021, 10:02:02 AM »

A lot of coaches have stretches like that and don't get fired, especially when one of the years they would have made the tournament gets cancelled. McDermott has 0 wins in the last 7 years. Cooley has one win in 10 years. Willard has one win in 10 years. Winning tournament games isn't high on most ADs list when determining who gets fired. They base it on the entire season's performance.

That being said, if we finish this season well outside the tournament, I'd be ready to move on.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2021, 10:03:37 AM »
That being said, if we finish this season well outside the tournament, I'd be ready to move on.

Two games ago you said if we lose the next three just saying might be a seismic shift tonight.
Maigh Eo for Sam

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2021, 10:06:42 AM »

For me, it was after the 18-19 season. He had his “5 years to judge” at that point and all his own recruits. The team lost 6 of the last 7 that year including an embarrassing loss in the tournament. We have discussed the Hauser situation ad nauseum, but the bottom line is he was coach and bears at least some responsibility. It was a bad look and was revealing of his abilities. I get the logic, (don't agree with it) of keeping him for 19-20, but the team lost 5 of the last 6, he should have been gone then, covid or no covid. It is likely they will hold onto him next year also.  He has had his chances, time to move on.

• All American
« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2021, 10:07:34 AM »
For me, it was after the 18-19 season. He had his “5 years to judge” at that point and all his own recruits. The team lost 6 of the last 7 that year including an embarrassing loss in the tournament. We have discussed the Hauser situation ad nauseum, but the bottom line is he was coach and bears at least some responsibility. It was a bad look and was revealing of his abilities. I get the logic, (don't agree with it) of keeping him for 19-20, but the team lost 5 of the last 6, he should have been gone then, covid or no covid. It is likely they will hold onto him next year also.  He has had his chances, time to move on.

You wanted to fire a coach after they got a five seed in the NCAA tournament?

That's insane.  No program is going to do that.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2021, 10:10:59 AM »

You wanted to fire a coach after they got a five seed in the NCAA tournament?

That's insane.  No program is going to do that.
yeah, there is more context to it than just getting a 5 seed. but, thats why I said I could see the logic of keeping him. for 19-20.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2021, 10:16:40 AM »
Two games ago you said if we lose the next three just saying might be a seismic shift tonight.

It wasn't two games ago, it was last game. Or if it was two games ago it was four more regular season losses. That's changed a little with the Nova game because that changes the math required to make the tournament. And there's a difference for me between deciding that I don't think he's the guy and expecting the university to fire him despite the pandemic.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2021, 10:22:39 AM »

That's easy to say now. Looking back and knowing how the next couple of seasons would go, sure, I'd have fired him then, too.

But we are not P6 ADs and/or presidents, and those guys don't have the benefit of hindsight.

As Sultan said and TAMU's research discovered, firing a guy who just earned a 5-seed, who had made the NCAAs in 2 of 3 years, who ran a clean program and who was recruiting well ... it just isn't done.

Curious, hairy: After Hausershima, did you call for him to be fired on Scoop?

Several Scoopers have pointed to that as when he should have been canned, but how many actually said it then -- other than those who never wanted him hired in the first place?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2021, 10:32:04 AM »
It wasn't two games ago, it was last game. Or if it was two games ago it was four more regular season losses. That's changed a little with the Nova game because that changes the math required to make the tournament. And there's a difference for me between deciding that I don't think he's the guy and expecting the university to fire him despite the pandemic.

You're right my bad I saw the quote the night of the Providence game but thought I saw it beforehand didnt realize it was well afterward.

If the season wasn't in such a desperate state,  this one wouldn't have bothered me much.  Since that's not where we are...3 more regular season losses and im ready for Wojo to be gone
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2021, 10:48:39 AM »

In Moser we’re hiring a coach who has been to the Final Four.  To me, that says something. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2021, 10:50:23 AM »
I don’t see Lewis or García transferring unless Wojo is canned. They clearly wanted to play for him and get a lot of run, even more next year

Dex & Oso seem more likely without Stan around. Dex to Loyola would be great for stan

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2021, 10:53:56 AM »
That's easy to say now. Looking back and knowing how the next couple of seasons would go, sure, I'd have fired him then, too.

But we are not P6 ADs and/or presidents, and those guys don't have the benefit of hindsight.

As Sultan said and TAMU's research discovered, firing a guy who just earned a 5-seed, who had made the NCAAs in 2 of 3 years, who ran a clean program and who was recruiting well ... it just isn't done.

Curious, hairy: After Hausershima, did you call for him to be fired on Scoop?

Several Scoopers have pointed to that as when he should have been canned, but how many actually said it then -- other than those who never wanted him hired in the first place?
Honestly, I do not remember what I thought in terms of canning Wojo at that time. (getting old). I was excited about that season because of who they had on the roster and the potential of really doing something positive in the tournament. They were ranked highly most of that season. Then the collapse and the Hauser nonsense, really had me questioning Wojos abilities and inabilities. I probably was on the fire Wojo band wagon at that time. I’m not a fire the coach guy at the drop of a hat, so not sure. I know apathy started creeping in after that point for me.

BTW, the question to me was when should they have fired him? That is a retrospective question. Of course we all have the benefit of hindsight now, but for me looking back at it, after 2018-19 was the correct time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2021, 10:55:29 AM »
In Moser we’re hiring a coach who has been to the Final Four.  To me, that says something.

Sure, I'd pick Moser before I'd pick Wardle.

I have to wrap my head around the fact that Moser did nothing of consequence as a head coach before the FF run. Then again, he has built on Loyola's success since then, and he's been an assistant to some good coaches, including Majerus. I'd certainly be rooting hard for him if he's hired, but that's the way I'm wired. I'm still rooting for Wojo.