Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cliche Nova  (Read 8559 times)

Silent Verbal

• All American
Re: Cliche Nova
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2021, 11:53:38 PM »
Jay Wright thinks Marquette is well coached...

https://twitter.com/vucoachjwright/status/1359728169209757696?s=21

This is something Wojo's supporters would've pointed out in earnest in previous seasons.  Wright would love for Wojo to stick around.  It's one less program for him to have to worry about competing against.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2021, 12:03:43 AM »
lol what  a Patronizing tweet
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:05:49 AM by Johnny B »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2021, 12:05:16 AM »
We remain projected to lose out (maybe favored to beat DePaul).  Team continues to play and perform like a JV team with three seniors in John, Cain and Elliott, and underclassmen that are completely and totally overmatched (Torrence, Akanno, Perez).

KenPom projects us to go 2-3 the rest of the way. 1-4 if you go by individual games but that's not how projections work.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2021, 12:16:00 AM »
KenPom projects us to go 2-3 the rest of the way. 1-4 if you go by individual games but that's not how projections work.

So, a while back you said if we lost three more games, you’d be on the “fire Wojo” train.  Well, we’ve lost three games since then.  Do you think he needs to go.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2021, 12:22:12 AM »
Honestly, what I saw was us playing them close to even for 28ish minutes. The difference in the game at that point was a stupid technical on Koby and a bad flagrant on Theo. Then JRE caught fire, pushed the lead from 9 to 16 in 90 seconds, and the team just broke mentally while Nova's confidence swelled.

Dawson was amazing tonight. Loved that he shook off the early stuff and kept attacking all night. We got to see aggressive DJ for most of the game but he unfortunately coupled that with lazy pass DJ.

Elliott can't physically cut it anymore. He couldn't stay in front of Cole Swider and he's about the slowest guy in the Big East. If he can't hit the corner three, he doesn't bring any value. I would give all of his minutes to Dexter/Jose. They are the future, Elliott is not.

Tonight sucked. First time I felt like the team actually gave up (despite that claim being made here repeatedly in the past). Only way to salvage this season is to either win out the regular season or win the BET. I have less than zero faith that will happen.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2021, 12:24:37 AM »
So, a while back you said if we lost three more games, you’d be on the “fire Wojo” train.  Well, we’ve lost three games since then.  Do you think he needs to go.

I believe you are off by a game. I think it was four more games and we have lost three. It's all about earning an at large to the tournament. It can still happen if we win out. As I mention above, I don't see that happening.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2021, 12:25:29 AM »
These guys are checked out.

I have seen no signs of this at all. When we cut it to 9 with 11 minutes to go, the guys were still vocal, still had bounce, were still encouraging each other.

Our guys then played like crap while Nova showed how much better they are, and the rout was on, but that's not the same as "checking out."

As I've said in the past, I don't think college basketball players deserve extra gold stars for not checking out. I'd be disappointed if they did check out. But I wish folks would stop saying stuff like this when, by every appearance, the exact opposite is true.

We have been blown out twice all season, both by Nova. Every other game has been close. No gold stars for that, either, but over and over and over again, we haven't "checked out."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2021, 12:35:57 AM »
I believe you are off by a game. I think it was four more games and we have lost three.

In the words of Ignatius J. Reilly, “Oh, my God.”

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2021, 12:36:09 AM »
We have been blown out twice all season, both by Nova. Every other game has been close. No gold stars for that, either, but over and over and over again, we haven't "checked out."

Nor has Wojo "lost the team".  More accurately Wojo's current team has lost more games that we think they should have. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2021, 12:51:15 AM »
I would give all of his minutes to Dexter/Jose. They are the future

Do you really believe this is true?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2021, 01:10:39 AM »
I was curious about what changed when Nova went on their run to turn this into a laugher. A theme continued from this season with unguarded threes. In the first 28.75 minutes, we only gave up 3 unguarded threes (not bad against a team like Nova) which Nova went 2/3 on (one of which was on an offensive rebound that went straight to Gillespie who kicked to an open Daniels). In the following 8 minutes, we gave up double that amount and Nova went 5/6. I don't know if it's fatigue, change in strategy, or after the first couple the team just buckled. Either way, both going 6/13 on guarded threes and 7/9 on unguarded threes is absurd, especially when 5 of those 7 are from a 27% 3P shooter. Nova is ridiculous.

Prior to 2H 11:11 mark:

Samuels: 1/1 (G) 0/1 (U)
Gillespie: 1/2 (G)
Daniels: 0/1 (G) 1/1 (U)
JRE: 1/1 (U)
Moore: 2/4 (G)
Totals: 4/8 (G) 2/3 (U)

2H 11:11 to 2:51 mark:
JRE: 4/4 (U)
Gillespie:  0/1 (G) 1/1 (U)
Daniels: 1/1 (G) 0/1 (U)
Slater: 1/1 (G)
Swider: 0/1 (G)
Moore: 0/1 (G)
Totals: 2/5 (G) 5/6 (U)

Game Totals: 6/13 (G) 7/9 (U)
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2021, 01:12:27 AM »
Do you really believe this is true?

Over Elliott? Yes.
TAMU

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2021, 01:41:19 AM »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2021, 02:20:18 AM »
Worst defensive performance of KenPom era for MU. Wild.

Wojo says 75% of practice time has been spent on defense.
And the defense is worst in the BEAST.
The more a bad coach focuses on something, the worse the team gets.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2021, 05:21:18 AM »
Over Elliott? Yes.

There’s probably a better chance of Elliott being on the team next year than either Akanno or Perez.  Perez is gonna get Buzz cut, hey?

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2021, 05:36:23 AM »
Nova needs to pay Marquette. We didn’t play any better than any potential buy game.
This was exactly what I was thinking.  We were the Nova buy game opponent.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2021, 06:33:24 AM »
Yoder coached forever and lost without consequence.  Steve = Steve.
once Pat Richter took over as AD at UW, an all-hands-on-deck effort was made to elevate the sports program (basketball and football). Salary. Facilities. Recruiting budgets. Barry ‘crook’ Alvarez has been effective as AD and results speak for themselves.  Wojo is probably making close to $1M more than Greg Gard and compare results. btw, Soderberg might be available...although an asst at UVA might be preferable to MU HC. 😀

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2021, 07:17:26 AM »
I was curious about what changed when Nova went on their run to turn this into a laugher. A theme continued from this season with unguarded threes. In the first 28.75 minutes, we only gave up 3 unguarded threes (not bad against a team like Nova) which Nova went 2/3 on (one of which was on an offensive rebound that went straight to Gillespie who kicked to an open Daniels). In the following 8 minutes, we gave up double that amount and Nova went 5/6. I don't know if it's fatigue, change in strategy, or after the first couple the team just buckled. Either way, both going 6/13 on guarded threes and 7/9 on unguarded threes is absurd, especially when 5 of those 7 are from a 27% 3P shooter. Nova is ridiculous.

Prior to 2H 11:11 mark:

Samuels: 1/1 (G) 0/1 (U)
Gillespie: 1/2 (G)
Daniels: 0/1 (G) 1/1 (U)
JRE: 1/1 (U)
Moore: 2/4 (G)
Totals: 4/8 (G) 2/3 (U)

2H 11:11 to 2:51 mark:
JRE: 4/4 (U)
Gillespie:  0/1 (G) 1/1 (U)
Daniels: 1/1 (G) 0/1 (U)
Slater: 1/1 (G)
Swider: 0/1 (G)
Moore: 0/1 (G)
Totals: 2/5 (G) 5/6 (U)

Game Totals: 6/13 (G) 7/9 (U)
You over analyze things. That's how basketball is, teams go on runs. The only stat you need to look at is the final score.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2021, 07:43:46 AM »

I dunno how closely you're following the Bucks this season, but this is the same complaint people have about the Bucks' defense.  Bud's gameplan is to pack the paint and give up lots of threes (but no twos).  Some days it works.  Some days it does not.  The problem for the Bucks is that the NBA is getting much better at the 3-ball, so the strategy does not work as well as it once did.  The same is probably true for Marquette in general, but giving up threes to prevent twos is NEVER going to work against Nova.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2021, 07:53:56 AM »
I went to bed at halftime.  Looks like that was a good decision.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2021, 08:18:31 AM »
I believe you are off by a game. I think it was four more games and we have lost three. It's all about earning an at large to the tournament. It can still happen if we win out. As I mention above, I don't see that happening.

You said three after the Providence game. We had this talk before our last loss where I said "my bad you did say three but it was after the Providence game not before" then I found this quote where is says three.

If the season wasn't in such a desperate state,  this one wouldn't have bothered me much.  Since that's not where we are...3 more regular season losses and im ready for Wojo to be gone
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2021, 08:23:31 AM »
You said three after the Providence game. We had this talk before our last loss where I said "my bad you did say three but it was after the Providence game not before" then I found this quote where is says three.

Thank you, that’s what I thought as well.  There’s this great book by Charles Jackson called “The Lost Weekend” where the main character describes his alcoholism by saying, “One is too many and a hundred’s not enough.”  I think you could sort of rework that quote to describe how many more losses TAMU needs to see before he wants Wojo fired:  “One isn’t enough and neither is 100.”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2021, 08:37:44 AM »
Jay Wright thinks Marquette is well coached...

https://twitter.com/vucoachjwright/status/1359728169209757696?s=21

Jay Wright says something positive about every coach and team they play, after every game, win or lose.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2021, 08:41:22 AM »
Jay Wright says something positive about every coach and team they play, after every game, win or lose.

He’s been the one constant since the new Big East formed and has pretty much single-handedly kept the conference afloat this year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2021, 09:14:16 AM »
Perez is gonna get Buzz cut, hey?

You "cut" a player when you need his scholarship. Are you foreseeing a bunch of recruits suddenly storming our gates, so many that we need to cut those who have been promised scholarships?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback