Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Will Wojo get fired at the end this season?

Yes
54 (22%)
No
192 (78%)

Total Members Voted: 246

Author Topic: Does Wojo get canned?  (Read 19704 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Does Wojo get canned?
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2021, 06:07:16 PM »
You talking about the Joey that shot 35% on 6.7 shots per game in Feb 2019?
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/joey-hauser-1/gamelog/9999/#20190205-20190227-sum:gamelog

Meanwhile "hurt" Markus shot 43% on 18 shots per game in that timeframe.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/markus-howard-1/gamelog/2019#20190205-20190227-sum:gamelog

Shocking that the coach wouldn't have deferred to Joey.  I know!

Wow you're about to receive a strongly worded letter from a Mr J. Hauser
Maigh Eo for Sam

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2021, 06:09:04 PM »
OK.  I'll say it.  Joey was the locker room problem, helped start this downward trend, and it's Wojo's fault for ever bringing him in at all.  Since you allowed us to say what we want :)

If Hausers Stayed, there would have been 3 other players that would have transferred ! ! !

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2021, 06:15:36 PM »
Wow you're about to receive a strongly worded letter from a Mr J. Hauser

I did go back and edit my post, I couldn't remember when Markus was hurt - and my stats were off because of that.  But still, Joey is clearly cancer.  He's singlehandedly killing Izzo's legacy.  Even his own brother didn't want to play with him anymore.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2021, 06:20:58 PM »
I did go back and edit my post, I couldn't remember when Markus was hurt - and my stats were off because of that.  But still, Joey is clearly cancer.  He's singlehandedly killing Izzo's legacy.  Even his own brother didn't want to play with him anymore.

I mean I don't want to speculate on MSU. I definitely think Joey was likely thin skinned and bought too much into his own pre injury hype. That being said he's a talented basketball player and the pair of the did have somewhat of a point about over use of Markus.

Side note, it's hilarious to read how disappointed MSU fans are of joey
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:30:28 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2021, 06:31:54 PM »
Already been thoroughly covered ...

Joey hit the wall. He not only couldn't shoot over the last 2 months as a freshman but he became a turnover machine - 5 against Creighton literally gave away that game, plus 4 each against Nova and SH in close losses. And a total defensive liability.

Sam also struggled. 1-7 vs Creighton, 2-11 vs GT, 5 TO vs SH. In our last 4 losses, including in the BET and NCAAT, he averaged 15.5 shots; it's not like he wasn't getting the ball. (Markus averaged 19.5 shots in the same games.) Many have speculated that he was still hurting some from the previous season's injury, and that's certainly possible.

Sam is a hell of a basketball player. Any Scooper who won't admit that either doesn't understand the game or simply wants to hate just for the sake of it. Our team would have been significantly better last season had he been on it, and he'd have been remembered as one of the best players of the post-Al era. It's a damn shame that it didn't work out, and a lot of that absolutely is on Wojo. Bennett must love having Sam on the team; what a gift.

But Joey ... he has some offensive talent, but he disappeared for 2 months as a freshman and he's not exactly burning it up as a Spartan. I mean, Joey just had a game with zero points, 1 rebound and 5 fouls against the worst team in the Big 14. He has had three games with 12+ points all season. And he's still a statue on defense. If he were putting up these stats for Marquette this season, Wojo would be getting killed for his inability to "develop" Joey. At some point, it's on the player. I don't miss the pouty mutineer at all.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2021, 06:40:12 PM »
As a nojo but also a realist I'm reasonably certain he's back next year because the financial situation doesn't support a buy out and the bad press related to that kind of spend would be viewed by administration as unwarranted.

That situation doesn't make him any better as a basketball coach.  You could give him the Milwaukee Bucks roster as a Big East team and he'd go .500 because he doesn't have an offensive system and the defense is worse.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2021, 06:41:36 PM »
As a nojo but also a realist I'm reasonably certain he's back next year because the financial situation doesn't support a buy out and the bad press related to that kind of spend would be viewed by administration as unwarranted.

That situation doesn't make him any better as a basketball coach.  You could give him the Milwaukee Bucks roster as a Big East team and he'd go .500 because he doesn't have an offensive system and the defense is worse.

Yeah, no doubt.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2021, 06:58:28 PM »
Yeah, you could give Wojo the 1995-96 Bulls and he'd go 4-27, and the only 4 wins would be against middle-school teams.

There has never been, nor will there ever be, a worse coach than Wojo. If he even watches a game on TV, the team he's rooting for automatically loses. He bought his wife a Coach purse, and it fell apart. It's his fault that Coach from Cheers died. And I'm still trying to figure out why he called those KC timeouts right before halftime of the Super Bowl.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2021, 07:14:21 PM »
Change the question to, "Should Wojo ...", not, "Will Wojo ...". Believe the results would be very different. :'(
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2021, 07:24:57 PM »
"optics"

They just fired 39 people and then announced gifts of $36 million.  Optics aren't the issue.

Those are targeted gifts for very specific purposes. Overall general endowment fund raising has been a disaster

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2021, 07:42:43 PM »
Who has a better track record at this point:

Coach A: Seven year record of 124-91, 56-65 (.462) in Big East, two NCAAs, last ranked in 2019-20
Coach B: Four year record of 54-55, 22-41 (.349) in Big East, no NCAAs, never ranked in Top 25

We both expected to be regulars at the top of the league when this started in 2013 along with Villanova, instead they've lapped us and programs like Xavier and Creighton have been better than the former national champs in the room. Kind of depressing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2021, 10:30:11 PM »
Six games left. Big East Tournament (at present) is still on, but wouldn't be surprised if it gets cancelled due to tournament teams needing to quarantine.  Let's play out worst case scenario: MU goes 0-6 to close (which would be an 0-7 ending) and finishes 9-16.

To the firm believers that the money is too much, that next year is guaranteed, that there is no way there is a coaching change: is THAT enough to trigger a firing?

What about a 1-5 close?  What if DePaul wins again?

Questions to ponder in the coming weeks.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2021, 05:23:17 AM »

A good coach has to be a teacher first. As the coach teaches the individuals the coach is also teaching a team. Once the teaching is in place, the coach can begin to coach.

A sign a coach is not a teacher, is if the same problems continue from player to player, team to team, year to year. As an example, Coach Wojo's teams have been consistently turnover prone since day one.

Coach Wojo has not accomplished the basic objective of a coach. That is, to teach. This is why, in seven years, he was never able to turn the proverbial corner.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2021, 07:13:00 AM »
The title of this thread puts me in mind of one of the questions you have to answer when donating blood: Have you, in the last twenty years, been paid, even once,for sex?

They only offer a yes or a no.

I think in both cases the answer is: Sadly, no.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2021, 07:22:18 AM »
You talking about the Joey that shot 35% on 6.7 shots per game in Feb 2019?
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/joey-hauser-1/gamelog/9999/#20190205-20190227-sum:gamelog

Meanwhile "hurt" Markus shot 43% on 18 shots per game in that timeframe.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/markus-howard-1/gamelog/2019#20190205-20190227-sum:gamelog

Shocking that the coach wouldn't have deferred to Joey.  I know!

Edit, I'll eat some crow.  I had to look up when Markus was injured, going from the presumed Feb 20 timeline to the end of the season.:

Markus 35% on 18.3 FGA/game
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/markus-howard-1/gamelog/2019#20190220-20190321-sum:gamelog

Joey 42% on 7.7 FGA/game
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/joey-hauser-1/gamelog/9999/#20190220-20190321-sum:gamelog

Rocky - this is why I appreciate your posts so much! Your open to others opinions and even go a full step further by conducting research and providing insightful content!!!

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2021, 08:46:53 AM »
What if DePaul wins again?

Scoop might break

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2021, 09:45:18 AM »
To the firm believers that the money is too much, that next year is guaranteed, that there is no way there is a coaching change: is THAT enough to trigger a firing?

I don't know. The only way he will be fired is if MU decides it is more financially sound to fire him than Harbaugh him. I don't know if losing out will change the calculus on that decision enough. Personally, I think its more likely that a donor gets pissed off enough to offer to pay the buyout.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2021, 10:06:47 AM »
I don't know. The only way he will be fired is if MU decides it is more financially sound to fire him than Harbaugh him. I don't know if losing out will change the calculus on that decision enough. Personally, I think its more likely that a donor gets pissed off enough to offer to pay the buyout.

One important factor is that Scholl will be 64 this year. MU won't want to repeat the shytshow with Shaka with no AD (or President named). I have no idea as to his retirement plans, just pointing out there may be other factors in play as a new AD, even if it's Broeker or Danielle will want his/her pick in place.

One more year makes more sense in many ways whether we agree or not.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2021, 12:49:26 PM »
Wojo should still take the blame for Hausergate, regardless. Is anyone shocked that Markus, Joey and Sam couldn't play together? Three guys that wanted shots, needed shots. Joey was crowned when admitted early for surgery, whether he was crowned or the crown was self-entitled the soft serve was getting out of the cone.

There's a reason why they didn't take their talents to a school together. Sam and Markus were tight. Joey thought he was a two and NBA guy.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2021, 01:16:29 PM »
There's a reason why they didn't take their talents to a school together. Sam and Markus were tight. Joey thought he was a two and NBA guy.

Do you know this for sure? I mean the bros considered WI as a package after they announced the transfer
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2021, 02:10:13 PM »
Do you know this for sure? I mean the bros considered WI as a package after they announced the transfer

I think that was more Trevor Anderson's dad opening his big stupid mouth and giving Jeff Potrykus bad information, which Potrykus went so far as to tweet, and maybe even report in the MJS if memory serves.  Those two clowns acted like a couple of dumb criminals in a Cohen brothers movie, which made the Hausers' eventual decision pretty funny.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2021, 02:18:10 PM »
Wojo should still take the blame for Hausergate, regardless. Is anyone shocked that Markus, Joey and Sam couldn't play together? Three guys that wanted shots, needed shots. Joey was crowned when admitted early for surgery, whether he was crowned or the crown was self-entitled the soft serve was getting out of the cone.

In retrospect, it would have been better for the program had Joey gone elsewhere. We probably would have finished stronger in 2019, we’d have had Sam last season (and maybe even this year if he opted for a COVID season), and there wouldn’t have been the stain of Hausershima.

Of course, had Joey gone elsewhere, Wojo would have been pilloried for failing to land Sam’s brother. But such criticism goes with being a coach.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2021, 02:57:58 PM »
In retrospect, it would have been better for the program had Joey gone elsewhere.

It made sense at the time, but in hindsight, him coming a semester early was a bad idea. He was injured, not terribly happy, and missed his HS crew. I know the rehab and treatment program was important, but he might have been in a better mental space had he just stayed in Point until that June.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2021, 04:02:13 PM »
One important factor is that Scholl will be 64 this year. MU won't want to repeat the shytshow with Shaka with no AD (or President named). I have no idea as to his retirement plans, just pointing out there may be other factors in play as a new AD, even if it's Broeker or Danielle will want his/her pick in place.

One more year makes more sense in many ways whether we agree or not.

Yep. Given everything going on financially at the University, firing Wojo is not going to happen. The optics of paying a buyout will not fly regardless of how bad the season may end up. The only way a change happens is if Wojo leaves on his own.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2021, 04:11:30 PM »
It made sense at the time, but in hindsight, him coming a semester early was a bad idea. He was injured, not terribly happy, and missed his HS crew. I know the rehab and treatment program was important, but he might have been in a better mental space had he just stayed in Point until that June.

I don't even think it made a lot of sense at the time.  The reasoning for it was he could partake in MU's conditioning program right away and they would help him with his rehab, but I'm sure he could've found (or MU could've helped him find) a first rate physical therapist in the Point area who could help him along until he came to MU in June.

My tinfoil hat conspiracy theory reason for why they convinced him to come early is to burn his redshirt year, so that after Sam graduated he'd have to think pretty damn hard about transferring because he'd lose a season of eligibility if he did so.  From what's come out since Hausergate, we know how close he came to choosing MSU, and it's been said that the only reason he chose Marquette is because Sam convinced him to come here.  Wojo and co. likely knew this, and acted accordingly.

Again, totally just a conspiracy theory of mine, but as Dostoevsky said at the beginning of the Brothers K, "Since it is written, let it stand."