Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Will Wojo get fired at the end this season?

Yes
54 (22%)
No
192 (78%)

Total Members Voted: 246

Author Topic: Does Wojo get canned?  (Read 19620 times)

dad's couch

• Starter
Re: Does Wojo get canned?
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2021, 09:52:51 AM »
Guys. Wojo is coming back. The layoffs coupled with the loss ticket revenue (in the millions) makes it impossible to buyout the head coach and also the assistant coaches. Not a lot of money but significant is  that BE shares its NCAA Tournament credits. They're for six years. No credits from last year and the shares from 6 years ago ended. That's about a third reduction.

As for "Hausergate." The only people that have a problem are a few people here. No teammates followed them out the door. The Admin. didn't make any changes to the program. Didn't prevent Stan from getting a HC job. We're still drawing top recruits from some of the best programs in the country (and these AAU guys know everyone and everything). Maybe. Just Maybe the Hausers (or one of them) were the problem and no one inside the program was sad to see them leave.

So you guys can create a new "fire Wojo" thread a day and say the same things over and over. Or you can accept the fact and move on.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2021, 09:56:54 AM »
That’s also assuming everyone stays. Which I would say is a big if in this college basketball landscape.
This goes both ways, every team will have a unique opportunity to lose/add immediately eligible talent, including MU. Who knows how it will play out but will be a very interesting spring/summer...

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2021, 10:15:31 AM »
Not a lot of money but significant is  that BE shares its NCAA Tournament credits. They're for six years. No credits from last year and the shares from 6 years ago ended. That's about a third reduction.

I don't want to dispute the part about the lost amount being significant, but it's only a 1/6 reduction in NCAA credits, not 1/3.  This year the BE teams will all share the credits from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015 but there are no credits from last year.  That's only a one sixth loss.  Then next year, they still share 5/6, with no credits from 2020 (assuming there's a full tourney this year) but credits from 2021, (no 2020), 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016.   It's looking like the 2021 credits are likely to be somewhat smaller due to decreased ticket sales, but the TV money should be there in full.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2021, 10:44:02 AM »
Some of the best "mature" writing I have seen here on the subject.
As I see it , most of the coaches we compete against have much more experience as head coaches.  Although Wojo is a similar age to most of them he did not come up thru the ranks by being a head coach in the minors. 
As mentioned, even St. Al McGuire learned by losing at Belmont Abbey. 
Didn't we have the same problem with Raymonds and Rick Majerus?
Where is our corporate memory?
I'm sure when Wojo watches film he can see where the players failed and how he also is on a learning curve.
At least Wojo can recruit, that's something.
Now to learn how to run the end of game winning moves.
How hard can that be?

I would prefer that he continue on his learning journey somewhere else, while we bring in someone that has completed their journey. I have been patient, but the same issues arise every year so I have significantly less confidence that those will be addressed by him any time soon. 7 years is a long time. I wish him well on his path and thank him for his service. Next.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2021, 10:47:02 AM »
We could very easily be in the top third of the Big East RIGHT NOW with the current roster if we were able to close out games with any regularity. Our current 5-8 record could easily be 8-5 or 9-4 without the late-game failures and droughts.

My point is that next year's roster, without a transfer in, could be worse.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2021, 10:47:32 AM »

My point is that next year's roster, without a transfer in, could be worse.

Agreed.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2021, 10:48:26 AM »
I think the ticket sales may work both ways. Chicken and the egg scenario.
As you say, we can’t fire Wojo based partially on the decreased income from a decrease in STHs.
If the season continues on the same trajectory as we think it will, I am expecting yet another big drop in STHs.
Can MU afford to stay on this path?
I hope MU can be forward thinking on this one, and get out ahead of what’s to come. It’s more likely that they extend Wojo and reduce his buyout.
If they wait another year or two...even more STHs will stay home, the boos will be even louder and recruits may wonder what the hell is happening at MU.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2021, 10:55:50 AM »
"optics"

They just fired 39 people and then announced gifts of $36 million.  Optics aren't the issue.

1. 39 people is just the most recent set of layoffs and represents 1.3% of their work force. It's not a small amount
2. More layoffs are likely coming
3. The gift was for $31 million not 36
4. That gift is very targeted and can only go to specific things, it doesn't help with the majority of the university's revenue loss
5. Even if the gift wasn't targeted and could help with the revenue loss, I think the gift is likely smaller than the budget shortfall from 2020
6. Its unlikely that the majority of the $31 million gets paid out right away. Most gifts of this size pay out over time or possibly even upon the donor's death. I'm not sure of the details here

I think y'all are underestimating how bad things are financially for Marquette right now. I don't know details about Marquette's situation, but I do know them for TAMU and the impact COVID has had is massive. TAMU has the endowment and financial stability to endure this, I'm not certain Marquette does. Plus, TAMU has been a lot more lax with COVID than Marquette has.

It's possible that Marquette decides that it is more financially sound to fire Wojo and hire someone new in an effort to breath new life into the program to keep STHs retained but my guess is that doesn't happen. The most likely outcome is that they Harbaugh Wojo's contract so he either performs at a high level next season or is fired.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2021, 11:01:14 AM »
1. 39 people is just the most recent set of layoffs and represents 1.3% of their work force. It's not a small amount
4. That gift is very targeted and can only go to specific things, it doesn't help with the majority of the university's revenue loss
5. Even if the gift wasn't targeted and could help with the revenue loss, I think the gift is likely smaller than the budget shortfall from 2020
6. Its unlikely that the majority of the $31 million gets paid out right away. Most gifts of this size pay out over time or possibly even upon the donor's death. I'm not sure of the details here

I think y'all are underestimating how bad things are financially for Marquette right now. I don't know details about Marquette's situation, but I do know them for TAMU and the impact COVID has had is massive. TAMU has the endowment and financial stability to endure this, I'm not certain Marquette does. Plus, TAMU has been a lot more lax with COVID than Marquette has.

It's possible that Marquette decides that it is more financially sound to fire Wojo and hire someone new in an effort to breath new life into the program to keep STHs retained but my guess is that doesn't happen. The most likely outcome is that they Harbaugh Wojo's contract so he either performs at a high level next season or is fired.

I said gifts, plural.  They announced two gifts one for 31 and one for 5.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2021, 11:07:07 AM »

Marquette's financial issues are almost entirely due to enrollment, which are not entirely due to Covid.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2021, 11:11:40 AM »
Fun thread.

It will be interesting to see which Scoopers who are "certain" or "almost certain" something will happen will turn out to be right or wrong.

I expect Wojo to still be our coach next season. Saying that, with no real knowledge of the situation, makes me guilty of speculatin', too. I sure hope I'm wrong about it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2021, 11:27:09 AM »

Do people honestly think we will be in the top third of the BE next year?  I am having a hard time believing that.

I think it's a possibility and should be the expectation for Wojo if he is the coach next season.

Assuming everyone comes back (big if but I'm more confident than I was before), we should be an improved team next season. We're losing roughly 40% of our production from this year's team. The average is usually around ~45% so we will have a slightly above average amount of production coming back. Not only that, but I think most would agree that the production leaving (Koby, Theo, Jamal) is more limited in their ability whereas the significant returners (Carton, Dawson, Lewis) appear to have much higher ceilings.

The recruiting class is in the top half of the conference and contains two players (Mitchell and Aidoo) that appear to be ready to play right away.

I'd agree that a transfer is necessary for me to feel good about next season. With insta-transfers being a thing this season, we will have plenty of options to choose from. I'm not worried about any of the big three transferring and I think Jose, Dexter, and Oso are all likely to stay. Greg and Sy are the only two I think may end up being transfers.

It's hard to project what next season will look like due to the extra COVID year, but the general wisdom seems to be that most seniors won't use their COVID years. If that holds true, most teams will be losing significant pieces next season:
Nova: Gillespie and Samuels (possibly JRE and Moore to draft)
Creighton: Ballock, O'Connell, Jefferson,  and Mahoney (possibly Zegarowski to draft)
Seton Hall: Mamu, Cale, Reynolds, and Aiken
UConn: Polley, Whaley, Carlton (possibly Bougknight to draft)
Xavier: Scruggs, Johnson, Griffin, and Carter
St. John's: Should be really good next season
Providence: Watson and Horchler (possibly Duke to draft)
Georgetown: Blair, Pickett, and Bile
Butler: Thompson, Bolden, and Nze
DePaul: Moore

Based on who's coming back and assuming guys like Bougknight and Zegarowski go pro, I'd put Marquette in the top half next season. Add in the recruiting class and a transfer and its not too far to top 4.

This of course assumes that Wojo can actually make the team as good as the sum of its parts which based on the last two seasons, is far from a guarantee. The complaint years 1-5 was that he couldn't make the team more than the sum of its parts. Lately, he hasn't even been able to do that.
TAMU

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2021, 11:27:39 AM »
I don't think it's been decided yet, one way or another.  He could very well determine his destiny in these last 6 games on the schedule.  Go something like 2-4 down the stretch, finish below .500 on the season and 8th-11th in the conference, I think that could be the nail in the coffin.  Go 4-2 and finish at or above .500, maybe 5th-7th in the conference, maybe win a game or two in the conf tourney, and I think it makes it easier to keep him one more year.  Tournament teams the prior 2 seasons, some solid potential guys coming back, finishing strong, weirdness of Covid season, etc. can all be pointed to.

The free transfer rule makes me think it could be the perfect time to pull the plug.  There will already be so much uncertainty & turnover with rosters for all schools, and maybe it even helps speed up a rebuild with potential transfers able to play right away. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2021, 11:28:53 AM »

Marquette's financial issues are almost entirely due to enrollment, which are not entirely due to Covid.

That's part of my point. I know how badly COVID hit TAMU, a university with zero enrollment issues. I can only imagine how much it hurt a university with significant enrollment issues.
TAMU

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2021, 11:37:35 AM »

This. There is absolutely no way Marquette fires Wojo given the financial insecurity that currently exists thanks to covid and enrollment issues.  That's not to say that I don't think he should be on the hot seat, I just don't see it making any fiscal sense for the university to do so unless someone comes along to underwrite the buyout.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2021, 11:47:03 AM »
How worried about MU should we be? I mean it sounds like Wojo stays we lose ticket rev which kills us. If Wojo leaves we pay a massive buyout which kills us. Are we basically going bankrupt either way?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2021, 11:49:22 AM »
How worried about MU should we be? I mean it sounds like Wojo stays we lose ticket rev which kills us. If Wojo leaves we pay a massive buyout which kills us. Are we basically going bankrupt either way?

It's the way of the projo.  If we give up on the coach we have to completely rebuild and start over.  If we fire him now, no one reputable will be our coach.  Who would possibly replace him.

Arby's

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2021, 11:50:22 AM »
Guys. Wojo is coming back. The layoffs coupled with the loss ticket revenue (in the millions) makes it impossible to buyout the head coach and also the assistant coaches. Not a lot of money but significant is  that BE shares its NCAA Tournament credits. They're for six years. No credits from last year and the shares from 6 years ago ended. That's about a third reduction.

As for "Hausergate." The only people that have a problem are a few people here. No teammates followed them out the door. The Admin. didn't make any changes to the program. Didn't prevent Stan from getting a HC job. We're still drawing top recruits from some of the best programs in the country (and these AAU guys know everyone and everything). Maybe. Just Maybe the Hausers (or one of them) were the problem and no one inside the program was sad to see them leave.

So you guys can create a new "fire Wojo" thread a day and say the same things over and over. Or you can accept the fact and move on.
You should post more often.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2021, 11:55:18 AM »
It's the way of the projo.  If we give up on the coach we have to completely rebuild and start over.  If we fire him now, no one reputable will be our coach.  Who would possibly replace him.

Arby's

I'm talking about more than just basketball. Like are our MU degrees going to be worthless pretty soon?
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2021, 12:05:48 PM »
I actually think the financials may make it prudent to get rid of Wojo now if you can make a prolific hire. If you can get someone who will put butts in the seats & win, the donations and revenue may offset the losses they'll face if Wojo stays. I don't think it's a surprise that MU saw donations & applications go up even in non-basketball programs after 2003. The University needs Men's basketball to be relevant, not just for athletics, but for the school as a whole.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2021, 12:19:11 PM »

Marquette isn't going bankrupt.  But it is going to need to string a few good class years together for the sake of financial health.

And I actually think you can find a way to buy out a coach IF you are committed to doing so.  My feeling is they aren't committed to that yet.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2021, 12:20:09 PM »
Alternative question: if COVID didn’t exist, and Marquette’s enrollment wasn’t declining, would Wojo be more likely to be fired after this season?  If money wasn’t a factor, would you feel the school would separate itself from Wojo, due to perceived expectations not being met?  Or, no matter what - even if team loses out - would he be guaranteed to come back?

Perhaps the larger question is whether the school finds the current state of the program acceptable?  And if it does, why not guarantee Wojo come back for a fourth year (extension) but even longer?

Regardless of what happens, I’m fascinated by what will happen with remaining games and the response it will have.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2021, 12:20:16 PM »
Anybody want to put money on the fact everyone comes back?   No chance given wojo's history and now Vid and transfer rules, NO CHANCE.  If seniors leave, and even one of DG, JL or DJ leave we are screwed!  Next years excuse will be we are young, not enough experience etc etc.

MU will take a huge hit next year, I think attendance may be lowest in decades????   The excitement of FF is gone.   I don't care what you sell the fans, they know wojo, nobody is impressed.  This isn't year 3, maybe then you could still fool people, not going into year 8!  MU has NEVER hired a high profile experienced coach, they are not going to start now.  Personally I think someone like Wardle is best we can do.  Would run a clean program, is a better coach, MU presumably his dream job etc.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2021, 12:23:45 PM »
I actually think the financials may make it prudent to get rid of Wojo now if you can make a prolific hire. If you can get someone who will put butts in the seats & win, the donations and revenue may offset the losses they'll face if Wojo stays. I don't think it's a surprise that MU saw donations & applications go up even in non-basketball programs after 2003. The University needs Men's basketball to be relevant, not just for athletics, but for the school as a whole.

YES   Probably the only way to create any excitement or sense of optimism would be a new coach.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2021, 12:26:27 PM »
FWIW, Wake Forest, a private school with a basketball-first athletics program, in the middle of COVID, did fire their head coach last Spring. They have a smaller enrollment than Marquette, and has a larger athletic expense line due to football. His buyout was around $15 million, if I recall.

Somehow they were able to come up with a buyout.  I get not being able to compete with state schools, but this a small Baptist school in NC (with a strong basketball history and tradition). If a school wants to fire a head coach, they will find a way.  I guess the question is whether or not Marquette will want to in a few short weeks.