Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue Jay Way  (Read 21837 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: Blue Jay Way
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2021, 06:26:24 PM »
Wish DJ had come here out of high school. Be a really solid second guard next to Markus for a year and get a bit of his always attack mentality.
agree. Gotta keep attacking. No hesitation.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2021, 06:27:30 PM »
Would have had one had Wojo not pissed one away seconds before the media timeout.
Wojo-Dukiet has been passing away a lot since he got here.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

OffTheGlass

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2021, 06:34:30 PM »
Late game situational basketball continues to escape the staff and team. Once again, on final possession, team has no idea what to do or how to execute.

Generally, I agree but Cain had two wide open 3’s. We did force some things as you allude to, but Cain usually will hit that corner 3. Creighton is just a better more mature team.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2021, 06:35:59 PM »
Executing what you have practiced works better.
Lol ok, Tower. Keep blaming the players.

What does Wojo have on you? He’s a Dookie. We owe him nothing. We’ve actually given him more than he’s ever deserved - 7 years of high major NCAAB head coach salary.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2021, 06:49:51 PM »
Rebounding was a big problem. Many times, they got the Oreb after a 3, because it was a long rebound, but there were quite a few times I saw nice boxouts by their offensive guys - shouldn't happen.

Good attempted comeback by our guys, they didn't quit. Maybe the two most frustrating plays were the last one of the first half and the last one of the game.

Do we ever:

- see a nice pass for a layup?
 - get our big posted up against a guard?
 - get our guards on the outside guarded by a big who can't stay with them?
 - use the back door?

Well, maybe in practice, I guess.

Looking back (and forward, given the schedule), it seems essentially like a lost year.
It's kind of aggravating that there is this virus going around, because Wojo is going to get a pass on the dismal display of mediocrity that was MU basketball this year. Without Covid, I really don't think he would have done any better, but we would have been closer to making a change.

Courage, mates.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2021, 06:54:09 PM »
John with a modest and polite 2 boards in 27 minutes...would hate to see his numbers if he didn’t “eat weights”  ::)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2021, 06:57:41 PM »
feels like they played really bad but lost by 3. idk weird feeling from this one. nit bound

not only would we need to be over .500 to make the NIT, there's not likely going to be an NIT.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2021, 06:57:51 PM »
Can anyone recall a Senior for MU or anyone else looking as frightened as Jamal Cain did those last few minutes?

Even the announcer commented on the way he "crocodile armed" or "TRex armed" that last corner 3 pt attempt.

This is someone that's supposed to show leadership and I've coached 5th grade girls that had more composure than he did on that final play.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2021, 07:03:40 PM »
I'm shocked we managed to stay in that. We were bad, but this just reinforced that you can't really trust anyone in this league outside of 'Nova.

Also, while it's a formality, this pretty much puts the dagger in our at-large hopes. Next 5 are on the road. Hard to see a winning record for this year's team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2021, 07:07:02 PM »
On the bright side, this makes our win @Creighton look better as far as NET is concerned. Creighton was plummeting down the rankings.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2021, 07:09:20 PM »
We will likely be underdogs in the final six games (might be favored at DePaul).  Million dollar question for Marquette Athletics in six weeks: can MU afford to keep Wojo if the team finishes 9-16 or 10-15?  There’s zero way they can give him his annual extension, so recruiting is already negatively impacted regardless.  It is very likely there will be at least one transfer (it is common occurrence nowadays regardless). 

I might be in the minority here, but I just cannot see it (Wojo returning).  Next year’s team doesn’t have any impact blue chip recruits coming.  Even with Carton, Garcia and Lewis, there isn’t much else to show that it is a proven top-half BE next year and beyond.  If Wojo and Co. do return, it will be UGLY next year - and THAT could set the program back another 3-4 years.

Will be fascinating to watch in coming weeks.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2021, 07:13:04 PM »
On the bright side, this makes our win @Creighton look better as far as NET is concerned. Creighton was plummeting down the rankings.

Given that we were expected to lose, it probably doesn’t do that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2021, 07:17:43 PM »

Actually, because we covered, they'll likely still drop in the NET.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2021, 07:19:28 PM »
We will likely be underdogs in the final six games (might be favored at DePaul).  Million dollar question for Marquette Athletics in six weeks: can MU afford to keep Wojo if the team finishes 9-16 or 10-15?  There’s zero way they can give him his annual extension, so recruiting is already negatively impacted regardless.  It is very likely there will be at least one transfer (it is common occurrence nowadays regardless). 

I might be in the minority here, but I just cannot see it (Wojo returning).  Next year’s team doesn’t have any impact blue chip recruits coming.  Even with Carton, Garcia and Lewis, there isn’t much else to show that it is a proven top-half BE next year and beyond.  If Wojo and Co. do return, it will be UGLY next year - and THAT could set the program back another 3-4 years.

Will be fascinating to watch in coming weeks.

Insert comment regarding universities financial struggles.

But seriously - I think the university strongly encourages him to interview elsewhere. Penn State, BC, Fordham etc. That will be best for both parties moving forward.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2021, 07:25:56 PM »
Wojo will get an extension and will be the coach next year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2021, 07:27:45 PM »
Wojo will get an extension and will be the coach next year.
Yes. He is certainly deserving.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2021, 07:28:12 PM »

I think the university strongly encourages him to interview elsewhere. Penn State, BC, Fordham etc.

Can they make him do it? Oh, please.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2021, 07:29:16 PM »
John with a modest and polite 2 boards in 27 minutes...would hate to see his numbers if he didn’t “eat weights”  ::)

Creighton had 11 offensive rebounds because Theo only got one on Creighton misses.

panda

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2021, 07:33:31 PM »
Every know it all on the board repeats the tired extension talk, but I don’t think the administration is ignorant to the temperature of the fan base or the on court results.

I wouldn’t be shocked if his name is floated around the carousel after the season.

mumi27

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2021, 07:34:03 PM »

But seriously - I think the university strongly encourages him to interview elsewhere. Penn State, BC, Fordham etc. That will be best for both parties moving forward.

Wojo could go coach another Jesuit eagle mascot team so it's basically the same thing, right? Let's convince him to do it

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2021, 07:34:57 PM »
- The TO right before the media TO could have cost the game
- There were about 10 possessions where MU moved the ball (it's called passing) for at least part of the possession.  First time this has happened at all in several games.  Nice to see.
- On the aforementioned possessions, when the ball ends up with McEwen or Theo it just stops and the remainder of the possession is wasted
- 12 possessions ruined by turnovers
- Creighton's ball movement (passing) is pretty to watch.  I wonder if Wojo realizes that the reason teams get open shots and layups is because of this?  I wonder if he has noticed that it's better than dribbling the ball at the top (or Theo standing in the post, waiting for the double team, thinking about what to do).
- Some timely good play kept MU in the game but it was never enough
- Nice to see Perez get some run.  I think Greg/Dex/Perez/Sy are all interchangeable.  Guys who can get some minutes but have severe limitations.  Sy is the only one who can dribble, but needs to be given a 3 dribble limit on any posession in the half court.  Greg just cannot play D.  Dex travels every time he touches the ball.  Even in the summer pick-up games, his first step is a travel.  It's been called a couple times in games already.  How Wojo and the staff cannot have corrected that by now is egregious.  Perez - jury is still out.  Wouldn't mind seeing him get more minutes.  Sy - stopgap PG only.
- Theo is getting worse.  He's in the way on offense and always out of position on D. 4 years of college ball and still no feel for the game, no vision, no sense of the double team and now little guys are boxing him out and out rebounding him.  Again, this is on Wojo.  Creighton is a team with only one guy with size and he plays spot minutes.  Go Small!  Run! Attack!  Move!... but he just doesn't see it.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2021, 07:36:33 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVnilj3xm5Y

The ever popular press conference.   

With the explanation of Perez's playing time.   
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 07:40:02 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2021, 07:36:35 PM »
Every know it all on the board repeats the tired extension talk, but I don’t think the administration is ignorant to the temperature of the fan base or the on court results.

I wouldn’t be shocked if his name is floated around the carousel after the season.

Calling others “know it alls” and posting this is quite ironic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2021, 07:39:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVnilj3xm5Y

The ever popular press conference.

His comments and reaction to Jose were interesting. Wojo said he was simply out of shape as the reason he hasn’t been playing.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2021, 07:41:39 PM »
- Theo is getting worse.  He's in the way on offense and always out of position on D. 4 years of college ball and still no feel for the game, no vision, no sense of the double team and now little guys are boxing him out and out rebounding him.  Again, this is on Wojo.  Creighton is a team with only one guy with size and he plays spot minutes.  Go Small!  Run! Attack!  Move!... but he just doesn't see it.
Not sure this is the game to say Theo is getting worse. Yes, only 2 rebounds and 3 TOs, but also 5-5 from the field with 3 assists (which, by the way, tied for team high), 2 steals, and 3 blocks. Theo is what Theo is, but he certainly has improved this year over the past.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.