collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID and Mental Health  (Read 4661 times)

forgetful

• All American
COVID and Mental Health
« on: February 06, 2021, 12:18:52 PM »
I read this quote from Giannis in regards to the All-star game and it struck a few notes that I think are not getting proper press.

"Like, I can't worry about the All-Star Game. I want to see my family. I want to go see my little brother in Spain, I want my brother to come see me," he added. "So I'm the same way. I've got zero energy, zero excitement. At the end of the day, if they tell us we're gonna show up, we've got to do our job. I'm always gonna do my job. I'm always showing up, showing the right example. But at the end of the day inside, deep down, I don't want to do it. I want to get some break."

Talking with a lot of students, and colleagues, the sentiment from Giannis isn't confined to the NBA and professional athletes, but everyone. Most people I talk to have zero energy, zero excitement, zero motivation, because of fatigue from the constant stress of COVID. Spring/Fall breaks cancelled so students/faculty/families do not get any time simply for mental health breaks. Increased workloads often coupled to cuts in pay, with no ability to take a vacation as a mental health break.

Kids having to stay at home due to the need to make schools remote-learning. And not being able to rely on extended family for child care, since it may put them at risk.

Every aspect of our lives have become more stressful, and normal opportunities to get a mental health break have been revoked due to an enhanced risk of spread.

All of that has been coupled to a realization on the fragility of our society, our health, and our lives. Where it all could be taken away from you in a heartbeat. I know for many students, particularly pre-meds who historically sacrifice part of "living" for a long-term perceived gain, have reconsidered what is important, adding another source of demotivation.

Some vent all this in the form of fighting against vigilance, closures, and masks. That makes things worse. What we need to do is have more widespread acknowledgment on the fact that:

1. This is hard for everyone.

2. You are not alone in struggling, everyone is struggling, everyone is demotivated and stressed and if you need help...speak up.

The problem isn't the rules to protect spread and save lives. The problem is that we have crafted a society that prioritizes profit, and working people to the bone, instead of prioritizing societal health and stability, and we have crafted a society that denies the reality of mental health issues.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 12:21:07 PM by forgetful »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: COVID and Mental Health
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 02:43:23 PM »
This is why we have to work so hard to get as many vaccinated as we can as soon as possible. When May rolls around, people are going to be done regardless of the precautions.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 02:48:24 PM »
No sympathy for #23 or #34. Shut the fook up and dribble, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 03:13:40 PM »

Very cool.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 03:35:26 PM »

Shut the fook up and drill, hey?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 03:41:19 PM »
I was going to say shut up and let your hygienist do most of the work.    Potato, potahto.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 03:54:41 PM »
Pushing back agains the ASG due to exhaustion, unnecessary in a shortened/challenging season, etc... I totally get and think it’s a valid complaint. And honestly I support it.

Trying to hide behind “player safety” as a complaint, when players have been traveling and testing constantly anyways is silly to me.  Seems disingenuous and co-opting a popular complaint in cover for something.  Not like they are breaking a bubble for something new and reckless.

As for overall mental health, it’s a constant challenge.  When I was in an apartment for 3+ months in NYC to begin the pandemic, it was as challenging and mentally toxic as anything I’ve ever experienced.  And everyone has their own perception on what is “right” or “responsible” regarding the pandemic, and it can be exhausting. 

Don’t be afraid to speak up, to reach out, to do what you need to do to keep a healthy mental state and get past this however you can.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 05:21:17 PM »

Stupidity reigns.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 05:57:54 PM »
Stupidity reigns.

why is this "stupidity" ?  is that an opinion?  sure isn't fact unless you can support it

as for the main topic forget brought up, this has been an issue many of us have been trying to tell highlight for some time.  schools NEED to get back live.  suicide rates way up,  drug overdoses, neglected healthcare issues...

when i saw that madison area schools were closing virtual learning early due to the weather Thursday is emblematic of this-no it wasn't from the onion

all due respect to giannis , but only seems to get the light of day shone on it when someone "important" brings it up.  not referencing #fruitoftheloom above
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 10:54:10 PM »
as for the main topic forget brought up, this has been an issue many of us have been trying to tell highlight for some time ..  suicide rates way up,  drug overdoses, neglected healthcare issues...
I don't think many (any?) deny the mental health aspects.  In fact, that's exactly what this thread is about.  EVERY single person in the US (and really, the world) has been affected by this.  All in different ways, and is hasn't made life less stressful.  We need to recognize that, and help each other get through it.

schools NEED to get back live. 

That's not exactly the answer, and if covid spreads in schools, even more lives are lost.  Plus, getting kids back to schools wouldn't affect that many adults with mental health issues due to covid. 

I also know there are "new" guidelines saying it should be safe to get back to class (I haven't read them), but there are also complications along the way:
https://www.sfgate.com/education/article/A-California-school-district-reopened-in-person-15927588.php

But I don't want to turn this into a school thread.  We really need to eradicate covid to get back to a "normal" mental health state. Even still, after that this country really NEEDS to focus more on mental health, because we've pushed it aside and ignored it for far too long.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 12:03:49 AM »

We really need to eradicate covid to get back to a "normal" mental health state.

Bingo!

Some people are suffering mental health issues because schools and businesses are closed or restricted. Some are suffering because they fear getting infected by Covid, even if they wear a mask. Some are suffering because loved ones have been hospitalized or killed by the virus.

Eradicating the threat is the one common solution that will help to address all of those concerns.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 07:53:03 AM »
as for the main topic forget brought up, this has been an issue many of us have been trying to tell highlight for some time.  schools NEED to get back live.  suicide rates way up,  drug overdoses, neglected healthcare issues...

Actually it doesn't look like suicide rates are way up.  In fact it doesn't look like are up at all.

https://twitter.com/tylerblack32/status/1357765466601775106

Of course suicide is not the only way to measure mental health issues. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 10:33:39 AM »
Bingo!

Some people are suffering mental health issues because schools and businesses are closed or restricted. Some are suffering because they fear getting infected by Covid, even if they wear a mask. Some are suffering because loved ones have been hospitalized or killed by the virus.

Eradicating the threat is the one common solution that will help to address all of those concerns.

Yep, contain and eventually eliminate COVID-19, and you fix the economy, improve mental health, improve overall health, etc.

Despite what the nation’s No. 1 science denier infamously said ... It affects virtually EVERYBODY.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 10:21:43 AM »
The same friends of mine who spend all day on facebook sharing stories about kids mental health are also the same ones who continue to support the WI GOP's crusade against mask mandates.   

I'm lucky, my kids are in school 5 days a week.  I think all kids should be.  But if you're going to advocate for that, please also advocate for 100% mask wearing, shuttering of bars, restrictions on public gatherings, etc.  One of the ways we can make it safe to be in the classroom is to make our community safe in general.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »
The same friends of mine who spend all day on facebook sharing stories about kids mental health are also the same ones who continue to support the WI GOP's crusade against mask mandates.   

I'm lucky, my kids are in school 5 days a week.  I think all kids should be.  But if you're going to advocate for that, please also advocate for 100% mask wearing, shuttering of bars, restrictions on public gatherings, etc.  One of the ways we can make it safe to be in the classroom is to make our community safe in general.

Amen, the lack of nuance in society regarding covid is frustrating as hell.  My kids have been in person 5 days with exception of a two week period in November and its been a blessing.  That said, our family has limited our exposure with the primary goal of keeping our kids in school.  We don't gather indoors with anyone outside our family, we order groceries, wear N95s if we have be in a store, and won't go to a bar or restaurant until everyone is vaccinated.

Is it a risk to have our kids in school?  Yes it absolutely is, but its one that we feel is worthy to take for the overall wellbeing of our children.  And if we have to sacrifice the rest of what was our normal life for the time being to keep our kids in school, then its a no brainer.  While we have certainly had increased levels of stress like everyone, I can't imagine the added mental toll of adding virtual learning to what is already enough stress.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 11:47:39 AM »
I think COVID just continues to reveal weaknesses.     Mental health is just another weakness it has revealed. 
Resilient v non-resilient
Conspiracy theories v science
Inward looking v outward looking
Narcissistic v community oriented
Scammer v helper
Me v we
Complainer v problem solver

Many are struggling.  I don't dispute that and I see it every day.     But many are prone to struggling and if it wasn't COVID, it would have been something else eventually.    The question, as in so many things that COVID has revealed about where we are as a country, as a species, is are we going to learn the lessons being presented, face them, figure out what we can do to address them, or hide our heads in the sand and complain.   

The best case scenario is that we give mental health the respect it deserves and start seriously discussing what we need to do to be mentally and emotionally resilient as well as teaching those skills to the next generation.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 12:20:20 PM »
Amen, the lack of nuance in society regarding covid is frustrating as hell.  My kids have been in person 5 days with exception of a two week period in November and its been a blessing.  That said, our family has limited our exposure with the primary goal of keeping our kids in school.  We don't gather indoors with anyone outside our family, we order groceries, wear N95s if we have be in a store, and won't go to a bar or restaurant until everyone is vaccinated.

Is it a risk to have our kids in school?  Yes it absolutely is, but its one that we feel is worthy to take for the overall wellbeing of our children.  And if we have to sacrifice the rest of what was our normal life for the time being to keep our kids in school, then its a no brainer.  While we have certainly had increased levels of stress like everyone, I can't imagine the added mental toll of adding virtual learning to what is already enough stress.

+1 million

This is exactly our mindset and actions.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 02:27:35 PM »
I think COVID just continues to reveal weaknesses.     Mental health is just another weakness it has revealed. 
Scammer v helper
Me v we

Many are struggling.  I don't dispute that and I see it every day.     But many are prone to struggling and if it wasn't COVID, it would have been something else eventually.    The question, as in so many things that COVID has revealed about where we are as a country, as a species, is are we going to learn the lessons being presented, face them, figure out what we can do to address them, or hide our heads in the sand and complain.   

The best case scenario is that we give mental health the respect it deserves and start seriously discussing what we need to do to be mentally and emotionally resilient as well as teaching those skills to the next generation.

There was an article in the Sunday paper that's it's almost impossible to find a therapist currently because therapists in general are so overbooked due to the stress of COVID.
Tele-health appointments have somewhat helped because they can squeeze in a few more patients and it allows the therapist to see facial expressions that are not possible during in person visits with masks on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2021, 09:45:59 PM »
Not sure which category this belongs in, because it's about both physical and mental health for "long-haulers." Either way, it's very sad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/22/texas-roadhouse-kent-taylor-suicide/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F3112843%2F6058bfaa9d2fda4c88172516%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F43%2F70%2F6058bfaa9d2fda4c88172516

After surviving a bout with covid-19, Texas Roadhouse CEO Kent Taylor’s post-infection symptoms grew increasingly painful. Taylor was beset in particular with a severe case of tinnitus — a loud buzzing or ringing in the ears that can be debilitating.

Last week, amid an escalating fight with the conditions, Taylor, 65, died by suicide, his family said. His body was found on Thursday in a field on property he owned outside Louisville, the Courier-Journal reported.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2021, 10:49:30 PM »
Not sure which category this belongs in, because it's about both physical and mental health for "long-haulers." Either way, it's very sad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/22/texas-roadhouse-kent-taylor-suicide/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F3112843%2F6058bfaa9d2fda4c88172516%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F43%2F70%2F6058bfaa9d2fda4c88172516

After surviving a bout with covid-19, Texas Roadhouse CEO Kent Taylor’s post-infection symptoms grew increasingly painful. Taylor was beset in particular with a severe case of tinnitus — a loud buzzing or ringing in the ears that can be debilitating.

Last week, amid an escalating fight with the conditions, Taylor, 65, died by suicide, his family said. His body was found on Thursday in a field on property he owned outside Louisville, the Courier-Journal reported.

Wow, that is sad. Most people focus just on the deaths directly attributed to the virus, but this illness causes so much more suffering.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2021, 08:56:38 AM »

Wow, that is sad. Most people focus just on the deaths directly attributed to the virus, but this illness causes so much more suffering.

Recently read that those with medical conditions that continued for months after they "survived" COVID-19 numbers well into the hundreds of thousands.

On the good side, I also read that the vaccines are helping some of these long-haulers. Here's hoping that continues.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 09:24:47 AM »

On the good side, I also read that the vaccines are helping some of these long-haulers. Here's hoping that continues.

Yep.

The current data is anecdotal and incomplete, but if this theory proves true, it would be fantastic.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2021, 09:27:30 AM »

Taylor had donated his $1m+ salary and bonus to his restaurant employees last year.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 10:03:20 AM »

The latest The Atlantic has a similar story but specifically on health care workers.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 11:03:19 AM »
Scammer v helper
Me v we

so covid has had little to no affect on mental illness?  it's just being noticed more?  if this is your stance, i couldn't disagree more.  covid has directly created, revealed and exacerbated mental illness issues.  i believe a vast majority of people have a limit to their coping mechanisms.  they can normally navigate between the lines of acceptable behavior within a wide range of detrimental situations.  covid pushed many beyond that limit and our "leaders" or "experts" seemed to ignore/disregard the importance of this in favor of control.   

as you all know, i'm a limited government guy, but i believe with all the money flying out of the coffers, we/government can do better with regards to mental health. 

covid has definitely played a big role in not just revealing underlying, preexisting weaknesses, but pushed people backwards.  there have been many people in the middle of some sort of mental illness treatments that changed drastically as a result of covid restrictions.  there may have been quite possibly some insidious issues that came to light due to covid.  would they have been revealed otherwise?  doesn't matter.  they unfortunately came to fruition in a bad way.  relapse, overdoses, suicides, crime...could some of this been reduced?  social workers, therapists, psychologists need to be valued in proportion to the problems they face

i have said this before covid and more especially during the opiate crisis-we need more mental health care resources.  our government can do better helping the healthcare sector of mental illness.  facilities and personnel are vastly under financed.  it is a tough tough field as the rate of recidivism is not good.  it is a field i myself could not engage in as i personally like to see a better rate of return in what i do.  if we look to set it up a system with tiers of successes and financed as such, we could do better.  at some point however, the reality is that there are some who just cannot function safely in our society.  who is to say where that line is drawn?   
don't...don't don't don't don't

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2021, 11:42:29 AM »
  so covid has had little to no affect on mental illness?  it's just being noticed more?  if this is your stance, i couldn't disagree more.  covid has directly created, revealed and exacerbated mental illness issues.  i believe a vast majority of people have a limit to their coping mechanisms.  they can normally navigate between the lines of acceptable behavior within a wide range of detrimental situations.  covid pushed many beyond that limit and our "leaders" or "experts" seemed to ignore/disregard the importance of this in favor of control.   

as you all know, i'm a limited government guy, but i believe with all the money flying out of the coffers, we/government can do better with regards to mental health. 

covid has definitely played a big role in not just revealing underlying, preexisting weaknesses, but pushed people backwards.  there have been many people in the middle of some sort of mental illness treatments that changed drastically as a result of covid restrictions.  there may have been quite possibly some insidious issues that came to light due to covid.  would they have been revealed otherwise?  doesn't matter.  they unfortunately came to fruition in a bad way.  relapse, overdoses, suicides, crime...could some of this been reduced?  social workers, therapists, psychologists need to be valued in proportion to the problems they face

i have said this before covid and more especially during the opiate crisis-we need more mental health care resources.  our government can do better helping the healthcare sector of mental illness.  facilities and personnel are vastly under financed.  it is a tough tough field as the rate of recidivism is not good.  it is a field i myself could not engage in as i personally like to see a better rate of return in what i do.  if we look to set it up a system with tiers of successes and financed as such, we could do better.  at some point however, the reality is that there are some who just cannot function safely in our society.  who is to say where that line is drawn?   

well said (not sarcasm)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 02:18:56 PM »

Totally agree, rocket!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 03:55:35 PM »
Taylor had donated his $1m+ salary and bonus to his restaurant employees last year.

Wow, that’s amazing.

Makes his ultimate ending even sadder.

feedback