collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What things will be better?  (Read 3308 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
What things will be better?
« on: January 31, 2021, 08:20:33 PM »
I was wondering about what things will be better post-COVID.

Example .. my kids' parent-teacher conferences were done via Zoom.  WAY better.   Parents don't need to leave work nor home, teachers can do it from home.  Sure, if little Steve is flunking classes an in-person conference might be better, but they should absolutely continue the practice.

Another .. I've had two deaths in the extended family and both had limited funeral services, no wake, and a small on-line funeral mass. 

For every 1 person who really wants to go to Great Uncle Jerry's wake and funeral, there are 5 who are really relieved they can watch the service from the comfort of their home couch. -- Not to mention the reduction in wake/funeral/luncheon expense.     Maybe that's the new normal?

Working from home is another obvious one.

Telemedicine is getting a big boost.

Others?

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: What things will be better?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 08:28:54 PM »
Grocery delivery/pickup.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 08:34:50 PM »
Cocktails with friends in public parks

Mail in voting

Discovering a local farm will bring acorn fed pork to my doorstep

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 09:05:43 PM »
Nobody looks at me weird when I want to walk 18 holes.   
Hiking in county parks. 
Masks.   I'm ugly.
Fewer in person meetings.    Turn off the camera, play on your phone. 
My wife shops less frivolously.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 09:16:49 PM »
The explosion of Only Fans dot com

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 09:35:32 PM »
Grocery delivery/pickup.

It’s very interesting to see it expedite something that’s been happening in cities for years into smaller urban areas and suburbs. The Sendiks by my parent’s place in Mequon is teeming with HS students who serve as shoppers filling orders.  Pretty solid part time job and something I bet will continue with some frequency post-pandemic

Cocktails with friends in public parks

Part of me says they will crack back down on it in normal times, other parts say that it’s so common in Europe and elsewhere, why not here

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 11:09:36 PM »
I've loved being able to order online from the breweries around town.

I know everyone says the office is dead after this, but I'll be grateful to go in on a regular basis, with some WFH. I miss the in-person interactions.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 07:31:16 AM »
I think with the historically low flu season this year we have learned what measures to take to save tens of thousands of lives every year.

Hopefully masks, WFH, restrictions on large gatherings, etc find their way into the new normal from October thru March to save hundreds of thousands of lives ever decade.  Cant imagine we’re ok with just accepting those preventable deaths moving forward.  With the loss of so many this year the silver lining could be the lives saved moving forward.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 07:39:11 AM »

I know everyone says the office is dead after this, but I'll be grateful to go in on a regular basis, with some WFH. I miss the in-person interactions.

Agreed. I thought Third Space did a great job early with their curbside pickup.

I too will be excited to get back in the office. I miss interacting with coworkers.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 07:45:13 AM »
Maybe it's just me but I disagree about funerals. But our funerals our designed to celebrate someone's life so the family can have pride in their lost loved one.

I hope alcohol delivery from restaurants continues. I haven't partaken personally because stupid mark ups but I like the option for fancier places that can recommend a bottle that'll pair with the meal.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 09:16:01 AM »
Maybe it's just me but I disagree about funerals. But our funerals our designed to celebrate someone's life so the family can have pride in their lost loved one.

No doubt about that.  But still.  There are plenty of people who attend funerals "because they have to."  No one *wants* to go to a funeral, and it's a cliché to say "let's meet up in better times."

Which is what will likely happen -- For each of the deaths in my family, there's a pledge to have a memorial post-COVID, a reunion of sorts.   Clearly a happier event, (and far cheaper.)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 10:57:29 AM »
Everything will be better when COVID-19 is eliminated.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BigWilly77

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 11:11:23 AM »
Nm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 12:50:57 PM by BigWilly77 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 11:14:53 AM »
You bring up a good point but I sense a little sarcasm here.

Care to elaborate? What about business impact?

He's purposely being obtuse
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 11:58:47 AM »
You bring up a good point but I sense a little sarcasm here.

Care to elaborate? What about business impact?

He's being intentionally disingenuous

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 12:39:13 PM »
I was wondering about what things will be better post-COVID.

Another .. I've had two deaths in the extended family and both had limited funeral services, no wake, and a small on-line funeral mass. 

For every 1 person who really wants to go to Great Uncle Jerry's wake and funeral, there are 5 who are really relieved they can watch the service from the comfort of their home couch. -- Not to mention the reduction in wake/funeral/luncheon expense.     Maybe that's the new normal?

Isn't the real purpose of attending a funeral to give support to the loved ones who remain?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 12:53:28 PM »
Isn't the real purpose of attending a funeral to give support to the loved ones who remain?

I think that's the intent, but sometimes the loved ones themselves would rather just do without it.

A couple years ago when my dad died, my brother and I were the closest family members remaining. I can't speak for my brother, but after hearing so many people say "I'm sorry for your loss," I just wanted to get the hell out of there and be left alone.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 01:48:43 PM »

I think that's the intent, but sometimes the loved ones themselves would rather just do without it.

A couple years ago when my dad died, my brother and I were the closest family members remaining. I can't speak for my brother, but after hearing so many people say "I'm sorry for your loss," I just wanted to get the hell out of there and be left alone.

My grandfather passed away at 90 a few years ago. He was incredible accomplished in what he did business wise and was also an outsized figure in Sheboygan for 50+ years and knew EVERYONE.  Plus he had 7 kids, and scores of grandkids and great grandkids.

Given he and my grandma had transitioned to Florida full time about 2 years prior to that, we had a “small” funeral for immediate family down there in March when he passed. Then had a memorial service in Sheboygan in the summer. It was WAY better. The hundreds of people that wanted to pay their respects could without overwhelming the immediate and present grief.

He was also cremated which I’m sure contributed, as seeing the body means something for many people, but it definitely changed my perspective on things. It wasn’t my spouse or parent or sibling, but I can say that I really appreciated those who came to the memorial more than I would have at the immediate funeral

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 04:44:49 PM »

My grandfather passed away at 90 a few years ago. He was incredible accomplished in what he did business wise and was also an outsized figure in Sheboygan for 50+ years and knew EVERYONE.  Plus he had 7 kids, and scores of grandkids and great grandkids.

Given he and my grandma had transitioned to Florida full time about 2 years prior to that, we had a “small” funeral for immediate family down there in March when he passed. Then had a memorial service in Sheboygan in the summer. It was WAY better. The hundreds of people that wanted to pay their respects could without overwhelming the immediate and present grief.

He was also cremated which I’m sure contributed, as seeing the body means something for many people, but it definitely changed my perspective on things. It wasn’t my spouse or parent or sibling, but I can say that I really appreciated those who came to the memorial more than I would have at the immediate funeral

Yeah - I think the underlined is key. Given that funerals are within a couple days of the death, loved ones are typically still early in the grieving/adjusting process. Some people might want lots of others around for this, but my experience was the opposite - I would have been happier to be alone with my brother and maybe a couple of other people.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 07:17:19 PM »

Maybe .. Depends on the aggrieved.   Both my parents died six months apart.   Frankly, the wakes and funerals were very stressful ordeals, exacerbated by attendees.

I can't say that the presence of other people was helpful in the least, actually exactly the opposite.  Talking to hundreds of people -- and really, no one knows what to say.  95% are the standard "sorry for your loss, your (x) was a good person."   

Maybe that helps some people, it sure didn't help me .. it was a long, uncomfortable parade to be endured.  I think my siblings would say the same.  You still do it, because that's the norm.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 08:36:05 PM »

That's what it was for me when my son passed away at 12 days old in 2009.  I appreciated the friends and co-workers who came to the Wake and Funeral.  There is one guy I've worked with for about 15 years now and it's about the only time I've seen him serious - I'm sure he and a number of other co-workers didn't want to come as Wakes/Funerals aren't the greatest but I appreciated it as I said. And I still remember my one workaholic friend who came to the Funeral during the day - for her to leave work to come was a big deal. The worst part to me was after the Funeral - most people kind of disappear but that's a whole different topic..

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 11:21:12 AM »

Definitely takeaway from breweries. I can a crowler for as little as $5 or buy a nice variety of cans from various breweries (I'll go out riding and bring a backpack to stop at breweries) then drink at home or at a public space. I enjoy that.

I've been regularly coming into my office since October. I enjoy it a lot. I have an isolated space (my cave) and not many people come in. It feels more normal, plus there's the in-person interaction as you mentioned (albeit more limited).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 08:36:24 PM »
I had a friend/ coworker who told me after his brother died that he really appreciated people who came to the wake, he remembered who they were. Ever since then, I have made an effort to go.
I do think live-streaming funeral services will continue; I sent the info on one this week to a mutual friend, and she wrote back saying how much she appreciated it, and how she hoped it continued because it gave people from out of town the chance to take part.

My own church is reaching thousands with its livestream Mass -I think that will continue in some form.