[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NBCSN  (Read 9785 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: NBCSN
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 10:37:47 AM »
Yes, as the cable/broadcasters continue to die, they will see their salvation in over-paying for sports properties.  Using the news argument again, 10 to 15 years ago the three networks were paying huge salaries to anchors and that was a signal of "health" for network news.  It was always going to be the most important form of news dissemination.  Instead, we now know it was the act of a desperate industry trying to stay relevant.  Same for cable/broadcast with sports.

+1. We shouldn't be looking at the huge money that ESPN and Fox are (still) willing to shell out for broadcast rights and authomatically assume its a good business proposition or reflects the health of the model.  Its just the least bad option they feel they have left to continue in their current form.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2021, 10:39:01 AM »
This is certainly true. I'm a big IndyCar guy, and NBCSN going away is probably worse news for that series than any other entity (just signed a new NBC deal, aging fan demographic that won't migrate well to online delivery, etc).  So from that perspective I'm bummed.  But NBCSN programming always felt like a shotgun blast.  NHL games outside the sunday afternoon game, the golf that was left over after premier tournaments were picked over and that wasn't otherwise aired on the Golf Channel, olympic sports, some miscellaneous autosports and mecum stuff. You can't really cobble together justification for a whole channel on that.

Don't forget the Tour De France during the entire month of July (in non-pandemic years).
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2021, 10:39:57 AM »
It makes sense because the economics of the USA Network and the rest are dying and they are desperate to keep it afloat while they figure out what to do next.

If you are not a subscriber to ESPN+ ... that will be the future of sports.  A cheap online aggregator that provides everything on every platform at once.  The days of searching for a sporting event between TBS, TNT, USA etc is the last breathes of a dying cable/broadcast business.

Yes.  We get it.  You are desperate for people to view you as some type of visionary.

How is Apple stock doing these days?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2021, 10:43:31 AM »
+1. We shouldn't be looking at the huge money that ESPN and Fox are (still) willing to shell out for broadcast rights and authomatically assume its a good business proposition or reflects the health of the model.  Its just the least bad option they feel they have left to continue in their current form.

But Heisey's point is that eventually we will be watching Packer games exclusively online.  I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.  Maybe once the broadcast cable and the internet are even more seemless than they are now, but that is still a ways off.

Sure you will start to see marginal rights deals decrease in value, but you will likely see the big ones actually go up.  Because they are still valuable properties.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2021, 10:45:48 AM »

Yes.  We get it.  You are desperate for people to view you as some type of visionary.

How is Apple stock doing these days?

Why do you turn everything into a personal attack? 

You're the one that wrote

But there is no way the NFL, or other major sports properties, are going to forego the massive rights fees to sell a streaming service.  They will quickly find that people have better things to do.  Maybe at sometime in the future, but that is still decades away when the technology becomes easier to deal with.

Now you could see Sunday Ticket moved to Amazon Prime Video or something like that.  But most people are going to stick with whatever games they can get when they turn on their television.

You're just an angry old man shaking your fist at change.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2021, 10:47:55 AM »

But Heisey's point is that eventually we will be watching Packer games exclusively online.  I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.  Maybe once the broadcast cable and the internet are even more seemless than they are now, but that is still a ways off.

Sure you will start to see marginal rights deals decrease in value, but you will likely see the big ones actually go up.  Because they are still valuable properties.

Are you still on AOL dial-up?.  Online/streaming is more seamless and easier to use than cable TV right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2021, 10:48:45 AM »

Why is asking about apple stock an attack? Did I miss something awhile back?
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2021, 10:51:02 AM »
Are you still on AOL dial-up?.  Online/streaming is more seamless and easier to use than cable TV right now.

It's improving every day but it is hardly "easier to use."

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2021, 10:56:10 AM »

Hardly.  I just look at the landscape and see major broadcast networks looking prepared to write another set of large checks to broadcast sporting events on their networks - not on streaming platforms.  I don't think local audiences will be watching Packer games on those platforms anytime soon, unless that is where the NFL Sunday Ticket goes.

Maybe in the next decade or two. 

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2021, 10:59:15 AM »

Netflix has 200 million subscribers (as they reported last week) which is twice the number of cable subscribers in the United States (and cable growth is negative).  70% of all households in the United States have an Amazon Prime account, more than get digital over the air broadcasts in the United States

Imagine the penetration they will have when they get easy to use!!!

In the end, this statement is more about you (as in your age and resistance to adapt) than a comment on the state of technology.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2021, 11:03:56 AM »

Netflix has 200 million subscribers (as they reported last week) which is twice the number of cable subscribers in the United States (and cable growth is negative).  70% of all households in the United States have an Amazon Prime account, more than get digital over the air broadcasts in the United States

Imagine the penetration they will have when they get easy to use!!!

In the end, this statement is more about you (as in your age and resistance to adapt) than a comment on the state of technology.

No it really isn't.  I have both an Netflix account and Amazon Prime.  I also have cable television.  These aren't either/or choices.  They are simply different ways to consume entertainment.

And I doubt the major live sporting events will migrate in that direction anytime soon.  Marginal ones?  Sure.  Left over games like we saw in the old BE?  Yep.  But regular in-market NFL games and other marquee events?  Not soon.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2021, 11:04:24 AM »

Hardly.  I just look at the landscape and see major broadcast networks looking prepared to write another set of large checks to broadcast sporting events on their networks - not on streaming platforms. I don't think local audiences will be watching Packer games on those platforms anytime soon, unless that is where the NFL Sunday Ticket goes.

Maybe in the next decade or two.

Or, networks are desperate to stay relevant and they think they have one way to do it, over-pay for sports broadcasting rights.

Netflix and Amazon could easily outbid the networks.  Why don't they?  The answer is they don't need to overpay for sports to stay relevant.

It is not a sign of health, and it is not going to take 20 years to change.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2021, 11:13:18 AM »
If you remove sports from ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox, what is their value?  Zero?

What properties or content do they have other than sports that you watch?  Maybe some random show here or there ... which you can get on Hulu anytime you want?

This is why they overpay for sports rights.  And again, how do we know they overpay?  Because if what they paid represented value, Amazon, Google, Facebook, and/or Netflix would outbid them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:16:38 AM by Heisenberg v2.0 »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2021, 11:19:03 AM »
Aren’t the ratings for live sports still much higher than anything else on TV? NFL for sure. I have to assume the NBA is doing better than many TV shows. Now, maybe not high enough to justify the crazy rights deals we saw the last 10-20 years. But until those rating are more in-line with regular shows, I assume things won’t change too much other than dollar amounts.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2021, 12:12:58 PM »

I don't know about the second part. And as the content gets more segmented and subscription fees add up, you may see a push back the other way.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2021, 12:57:46 PM »

Cable and broadcast TV is losing audience.  Sports TV ratings are losing audience.  NBCSN is closing.  ESPN is laying off employees. 

Define death knell?

Something that results in fewer major college and pro sports being available on TV (or some other easily accessible platform) for me to watch.

As I sit here today, on 1/23/21, I am not concerned.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2021, 01:25:40 PM »
We will see what happens in the next round of television deals that will be coming due in the next few years.  There could be even greater stratification in the P5 conferences with the SEC and Big 10 making significantly more than the ACC, Big 12 and Pac 12.

Does this possibility mean another round of realignment?  Does Texas make a jump to the Big Ten prior to its contract expiring in 2023?

And what does this mean for the BE when its deal is done in 2025?  I am thinking you are going to see a relative decrease.

Why do you see a decrease for the Big East? Other than the next Nascar deal, every sports league is getting an increase.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2021, 01:32:09 PM »
Don't forget the Tour De France during the entire month of July (in non-pandemic years).

True, but some other sports-centric network will almost certainly pick up the Tour.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2021, 01:47:07 PM »
Why do you see a decrease for the Big East? Other than the next Nascar deal, every sports league is getting an increase.

Relative decrease...  So a decrease in comparison to what the other leagues get.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2021, 02:15:52 PM »
Relative decrease...  So a decrease in comparison to what the other leagues get.
I get what your saying.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2021, 02:18:15 PM »
NBCSN was at $.42/month/subscriber. That is super low.
Meanwhile USA Network was at $1.61/month in 2019, $1.66 in 2020 and a $1.75 in 2021.
-Bill Walton

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2021, 02:34:32 PM »
NBCSN was at $.42/month/subscriber. That is super low.
Meanwhile USA Network was at $1.61/month in 2019, $1.66 in 2020 and a $1.75 in 2021.
USA can periodically do Monk Marathons. That is worth something.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »

This. I utilize a lot of streaming services but I refuse to watch Marquette games or Packers games on those services. It's far easier and I don't have to deal with the anxiety of a potential bad WiFi connection.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2021, 03:34:45 PM »
This. I utilize a lot of streaming services but I refuse to watch Marquette games or Packers games on those services. It's far easier and I don't have to deal with the anxiety of a potential bad WiFi connection.

I used to have occasional outages or slowdowns when I had traditional cable-based internet, but I switched to fiber optic several months back and haven't had any problems. It's nice not having to worry about high demand by other users in my area.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2021, 04:09:13 PM »
Aren’t the ratings for live sports still much higher than anything else on TV? NFL for sure. I have to assume the NBA is doing better than many TV shows. Now, maybe not high enough to justify the crazy rights deals we saw the last 10-20 years. But until those rating are more in-line with regular shows, I assume things won’t change too much other than dollar amounts.
Top 50 highest rated telecasts of 2020

THE 50 TOP-RATED PRIMETIME TELECASTS OF 2020 (ADULTS 18-49)
RANK   PROGRAM (NETWORK)   RATING (18-49)   DATE AIRED
1.   SUPER BOWL LIV: Chiefs vs. 49ers (Fox)   30.66   2/2/2020
2.   NFC CHAMPIONSHIP: 49ers vs. Packers (Fox)   12.56   1/19/2020
3.   NFL PLAYOFFS: Packers vs. Seahwaks (Fox)   10.80   1/12/2020
4.   THE MASKED SINGER (Post-Super Bowl Season 3 Premiere) (Fox)   9.36   2/2/2020
5.   AFC WILDCARD PLAYOFF: Titans vs. Patriots (CBS)   9.04   1/4/2020
6.   AFC DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF: Titans vs. Ravens (CBS)   8.38   1/11/2020
7.   COLLEGE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP: LSU vs. Clemson (ESPN)   7.81   1/13/2020
8.   NFL THURSDAY SPECIAL: Chiefs vs. Texans (NBC)   6.82   9/10/2020
9.   NFL SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Rams vs. Cowboys (NBC)   6.24   9/13/2020
10.   GRAMMY AWARDS (CBS)   5.66   1/26/2020
11.   THE OSCARS (ABC)   5.49   2/9/2020
12.   NFL SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Chiefs vs. Raiders (NBC)   5.45   11/22/2020
13.   NFL SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Packers vs. Saints (NBC)   5.38   9/27/2020
14.   NFL SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Seahawks vs. Patriots (NBC)   5.31   9/20/2020
15.   NFL SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Saints vs. Buccaneers (NBC)   5.09   11/8/2020
16.   NFL MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Chiefs vs. Ravens (ESPN)   4.97   9/28/2020
17.   NFL SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Eagles vs. Cowboys (NBC)   4.95   11/1/2020
18.   NFL SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Packers vs. Bears (NBC)   4.89   11/29/2020
19.   GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS (NBC)   4.87   1/5/2020
20.   NFL THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Buccaneers vs. Bears (Fox/NFL)   4.77   10/8/2020
21.   NFL SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Patriots vs. Ravens (NBC)   4.52   11/15/2020
22.   NFL SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Eagles vs. 49ers (NBC)   4.55   10/4/2020
23.   NFL THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Cardinals vs. Seahawks (Fox/NFL)   4.52   11/19/2020
24.   NFL SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Buccaneers vs. Raiders (NBC)   4.38   10/25/2020
25.   NFL SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Falcons vs. Eagles (NBC)   4.22   10/11/2020
26.   THE MASKED SINGER, S4 E9 “The Group C Finals” (Fox)   4.17   11/26/2020
27.   NFL MONDAY FOOTBALL SPECIAL: Patriots vs. Chiefs (CBS)   4.10   10/5/2020
28.   NFL THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Packers vs. 49ers (Fox/NFL)   4.01   11/5/2020
29.   NFL MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Rams vs. Buccaneers (ESPN)   3.87   11/23/2020
30.   NFL MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Cardinals vs. Cowboys (ESPN)   3.80   10/19/2020
911: LONE STAR, S1 E1 Pilot (Fox)   3.80   1/19/2020
NFL MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Buccaneers vs. Giants (ESPN)   3.80   11/2/2020
33.   NFL SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: 49ers vs. Rams (NBC)   3.77   10/18/2020
34.   NFL THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Colts vs. Titans (Fox/NFL)   3.66   11/12/2020
35.   ELECTION COVERAGE: SATURDAY (CNN)   3.62   11/7/2020
36.   NFL MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL:  Saints vs. Chargers (ESPN)   3.50   10/12/2020
37.   NFL THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Broncos vs. Jets (Fox/NFL)   3.58   10/29/2020
38.   ELECTION NIGHT COVERAGE 10PM (Fox News)   3.48   11/3/2020
39.   WORLD SERIES GAME 6: Dodgers vs. Rays (Fox)   3.45   10/27/2020
40.   PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE (Fox News)   3.44   9/29/2020
41.   NFL MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Vikings vs. Bears (ESPN)   3.44   11/16/2020
42.   NFL THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Giants vs. Eagles (Fox/NFL)   3.42   10/22/2020
ELECTION NIGHT COVERAGE 9PM (Fox News)   3.42   11/3/2020
44.   NFL MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Rams vs. Bears (ESPN)   3.40   10/26/2020
45.   THE MASKED SINGER, S3 E10 “The Super Nine Masked Singer Special: Groups A, B and C” (Fox)   3.37   4/1/2020
46.   DISNEY FAMILY SING-A-LONG (ABC)   3.35   4/16/2020
47.   NFL DRAFT (ESPN)   3.34   4/16/2020
48.   ELECTION NIGHT COVERAGE, 9 PM (CNN)   3.32   11/3/2020
49.   ELECTION NIGHT COVERAGE, 10 PM (CNN)   3.29   11/3/2020
50.   NBA FINALS, Game 5: Lakers vs. Heat (ABC)   3.28   10/9/2020
SOURCE: NIELSEN, 1/1/20 – 11/29/20. L7 DATA. ALL TELECASTS, BROADCAST AND CABLE (EXCLUDING TELECASTS WITH DURATIONS UNDER 25 MIN, INCLUDING SB AND NFC). BROADCAST PRIME, TELECAST WITH START TIMES WITHIN DAYPART (M-SAT 8P-11P; SUN 6:30P-11P).

feedback