[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NBCSN  (Read 9789 times)

asdfasdf

• Starter
NBCSN
« on: January 22, 2021, 09:39:56 PM »
Looks like NBC sports network is shutting down at the end of 2021, with programming moving to the Peacock app and USA network. That doesn't directly impact Marquette, but I wonder if this is a canary in the coal mine with regards to sports networks.

For those in the know, does this tell us anything about the health of Fox Sports 1&2, and  Big East TV rights moving forward?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: NBCSN
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 10:29:42 PM »
Looks like NBC sports network is shutting down at the end of 2021, with programming moving to the Peacock app and USA network. That doesn't directly impact Marquette, but I wonder if this is a canary in the coal mine with regards to sports networks.

For those in the know, does this tell us anything about the health of Fox Sports 1&2, and  Big East TV rights moving forward?

We already know that ESPN is hemorrhaging subscribers and laying off staff regularly.

https://www.primetimer.com/barnhart/mnf

But like so many other things happening in “these unprecedented times” (another nonsense phrase), COVID is merely accelerating a trend that was underway before the pandemic. Namely, the death of cable, or at least the death of ESPN as a premium cable brand.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 10:34:43 PM »
We already know that ESPN is hemorrhaging subscribers and laying off staff regularly.

https://www.primetimer.com/barnhart/mnf

But like so many other things happening in “these unprecedented times” (another nonsense phrase), COVID is merely accelerating a trend that was underway before the pandemic. Namely, the death of cable, or at least the death of ESPN as a premium cable brand.

Yes WW.  In light of your expertise solving complex issues, will we be alright with FS1? 

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 10:39:54 PM »
Yes WW.  In light of your expertise solving complex issues, will we be alright with FS1?

Since you asked ...

The sports bubble is imploding.  Eventually, we will be streaming on MU.TV as part of the Big East.tv

Everyone will be the same.  For instance, the Packers will stream on packers.tv as part of nfl.com

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 10:48:44 PM »
Since you asked ...

The sports bubble is imploding.  Eventually, we will be streaming on MU.TV as part of the Big East.tv

Everyone will be the same.  For instance, the Packers will stream on packers.tv as part of nfl.com

Fair enough.  But can you not orchestrate a BB jail scene, which was taken from the Corleone baptism scene, that could consolidate our power, and  simultaneously weaken ESPN and their ignominious existence?   Perhaps you can use your wide range of skills??  Just sayin.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 06:54:45 AM »
This should be nothing to worry about with FOX Sports. FOX Sports is looking to grow as they look to bid on the NHL rights.

NBC Sports is turning USA Network into TBS/TNT.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 07:01:01 AM »
Since you asked ...

I don't know what you mean by "eventually."  Eventually the sun will grow to be a red giant whisking away earth's atmosphere in the process.  So yes at that point sports will no longer air over broadcast TV.

Meanwhile...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2020/11/11/expect-tv-rights-fees-for-sports-to-soar/?sh=50f1490b48c2
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 07:03:43 AM »
This should be nothing to worry about with FOX Sports. FOX Sports is looking to grow as they look to bid on the NHL rights.

NBC Sports is turning USA Network into TBS/TNT.

Right.  So my hope is that not everything moves to streaming.

I think the danger for the BE is that Fox will sell off more games, push them to regional networks...or online.  Remember that a lot of the old BE games were shown on ESPN3.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 07:15:43 AM »
My question, is technical skills.  How would MU TV and Packer TV staff a crew of film and production pros to stream/televise it at anywhere the level of quality we are accustomed to?  I guess it would go to the level of Midnight madness when they would stream the inter-squad scrimmage.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 07:25:32 AM »
My question, is technical skills.  How would MU TV and Packer TV staff a crew of film and production pros to stream/televise it at anywhere the level of quality we are accustomed to?  I guess it would go to the level of Midnight madness when they would stream the inter-squad scrimmage.

They would still use professional production crews and announcers.  It would just be delivered to your home differently.

That being said, this isn't happening anytime soon.  Streaming may be short term profitable for properties like soccer, where the broadcast fees are fairly low, but the audience is younger and passionate about the sport. 

But there is no way the NFL, or other major sports properties, are going to forego the massive rights fees to sell a streaming service.  They will quickly find that people have better things to do.  Maybe at sometime in the future, but that is still decades away when the technology becomes easier to deal with.

Now you could see Sunday Ticket moved to Amazon Prime Video or something like that.  But most people are going to stick with whatever games they can get when they turn on their television.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 07:56:47 AM »
Sucks for Stamford, CT who lured NBC Sports to Connecticut earlier this century and helped pay to major renovate a building for them.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 09:03:27 AM »
For some reason, the Peacock app still won't show up on my TV. Been trying to download it ever since they announced it, but not available yet that I can see.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 09:03:46 AM »
I have been hearing predictions that something or other would be the death knell for TV sports almost as long as I have been hearing predictions that free agency would be the death knell for sports in general.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 09:20:22 AM »
I have been hearing predictions that something or other would be the death knell for TV sports almost as long as I have been hearing predictions that free agency would be the death knell for sports in general.

Cable and broadcast TV is losing audience.  Sports TV ratings are losing audience.  NBCSN is closing.  ESPN is laying off employees. 

Define death knell?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 09:22:56 AM »

Cable and broadcast TV is losing audience.  Sports TV ratings are losing audience.  NBCSN is closing.  ESPN is laying off employees. 

Define death knell?

When they stop shelling out $$$ for sporting events that they broadcast on their networks.  That doesn't look like its going to happen anytime soon.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 09:22:57 AM »

Define death knell?

Ringing of bells to announce an actual death. For TV college sports, that would mean you simply couldn't find any games on TV anymore.

'Losing audience' is a bad sign, but the sports channels are still around and broadcasting.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 09:34:14 AM »
We will see what happens in the next round of television deals that will be coming due in the next few years.  There could be even greater stratification in the P5 conferences with the SEC and Big 10 making significantly more than the ACC, Big 12 and Pac 12.

Does this possibility mean another round of realignment?  Does Texas make a jump to the Big Ten prior to its contract expiring in 2023?

And what does this mean for the BE when its deal is done in 2025?  I am thinking you are going to see a relative decrease. 

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2021, 09:35:16 AM »
Available content has grown exponentially over the last pick any time frame why would you be shocked that demand for sports is impacted? Time and technology change every marketplace and capitalistic Darwinism is a constant, companies either adapt and survive or fall off.

You can't argue that the entertainment options available today provide a far better user experience than 5 - 10 years ago and as long as there is CBB/MUBB you'll be able to watch it in your house......unless you just don't want to change with the market/technology.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2021, 09:43:31 AM »

Define death knell?

MU enrollment misses, staff laid off, no in-person sports revenue. The end of higher education is imminent.

Or C19 has caused a market correction that was over-inflated.  The market is seeking equilibrium, a concept you well know.

Lastly, sports teams are relearning how in-person fan experience drives equity to their media audiences. No different than when major sports have gone on strike: It will take two years+ for the brand to rebound.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2021, 10:04:48 AM »
MU enrollment misses, staff laid off, no in-person sports revenue. The end of higher education is imminent.

Or C19 has caused a market correction that was over-inflated.  The market is seeking equilibrium, a concept you well know.

Lastly, sports teams are relearning how in-person fan experience drives equity to their media audiences. No different than when major sports have gone on strike: It will take two years+ for the brand to rebound.

To be clear, I never said sports were going away.  I said they were going to shift to online/streaming, and they would eventually lose their bundle with a network and each would stream separately, either at the team level or the conference/league level.  The economics are going that way.

We will always have sports as a form of entertainment available in a video form to watch. If anything we will get more and more of it.  The choices will be endless.

In the meantime, the decline in cable and broadcast TV is terminal.  It is never reversing.  We are moving away from that delivery system to online.  And with it, the economics are shifting. Remember the original post was about what does NBCSN closing mean.  It means overpaying for sports broadcast right is a bad business strategy that does not work, and is not a sign of "health" for the cable/broadcast business.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 10:15:43 AM »
To be clear, I never said sports were going away.  I said they were going to shift to online/streaming, and they would eventually lose their bundle with a network and each would stream separately, either at the team level or the conference/league level.  The economics are going that way.

We will always have sports as a form of entertainment available in a video form to watch. If anything we will get more and more of it.  The choices will be endless.

In the meantime, the decline in cable and broadcast TV is terminal.  It is never reversing.  We are moving away from that delivery system to online.  And with it, the economics are shifting. Remember the original post was about what does NBCSN closing mean.  It means overpaying for sports broadcast right is a bad business strategy that does not work, and is not a sign of "health" for the cable/broadcast business.
I think closing NBC Sports Network was nothing more than NBC consolidating certain elements of their sports product into one platform. I think from inception NBC Sports Network never had many premier sports properties thus their economic viability as an independent entity was always in question . This is action is a non event and bears no correlation to the value of sports media properties.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 10:21:38 AM »
I think closing NBC Sports Network was nothing more than NBC consolidating certain elements of their sports product into one platform. I think from inception NBC Sports Network never had many premier sports properties thus their economic viability as an independent entity was always in question . This is action is a non event and bears no correlation to the value of sports media properties.

Yeah that is a good synopsis.  NBC hasn't shelled out big $$ for programming that can fill every evening.  They also haven't gone into the "take industry" that dominates the ESPN and FS1 daytimes, which is smart because I doubt there is much room for that.  Putting their sports properties on USA or something similar makes sense.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2021, 10:28:49 AM »

They would still use professional production crews and announcers.  It would just be delivered to your home differently.

That being said, this isn't happening anytime soon.  Streaming may be short term profitable for properties like soccer, where the broadcast fees are fairly low, but the audience is younger and passionate about the sport. 

But there is no way the NFL, or other major sports properties, are going to forego the massive rights fees to sell a streaming service.  They will quickly find that people have better things to do.  Maybe at sometime in the future, but that is still decades away when the technology becomes easier to deal with.

Now you could see Sunday Ticket moved to Amazon Prime Video or something like that.  But most people are going to stick with whatever games they can get when they turn on their television.

Correct about professional crews.  They are becoming so cheap to produce that you will soon have the same quality at the high school level, if not already. This cost is no longer an issue.

Professional announcers?  There is an argument that they are going away.  Technology will allow anyone to synch up and announce a sporting event.  They will advertise it on social media and you will watch/listen to their description of the event.  In the future, we could have hundreds of such announcers for an event (a large one like the Superbowl) and you pick the one you like.  Think of this as a version of news broadcasts.  The options are seemingly endless and people gravitate to what they like.  Gone are the three networks nightly news (yes it still exists but it has lost its audience and relevance long ago). Same here.

Yes, as the cable/broadcasters continue to die, they will see their salvation in over-paying for sports properties.  Using the news argument again, 10 to 15 years ago the three networks were paying huge salaries to anchors and that was a signal of "health" for network news.  It was always going to be the most important form of news dissemination.  Instead, we now know it was the act of a desperate industry trying to stay relevant.  Same for cable/broadcast with sports.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2021, 10:34:26 AM »
I think from inception NBC Sports Network never had many premier sports properties thus their economic viability as an independent entity was always in question .

This is certainly true. I'm a big IndyCar guy, and NBCSN going away is probably worse news for that series than any other entity (just signed a new NBC deal, aging fan demographic that won't migrate well to online delivery, etc).  So from that perspective I'm bummed.  But NBCSN programming always felt like a shotgun blast.  NHL games outside the sunday afternoon game, the golf that was left over after premier tournaments were picked over and that wasn't otherwise aired on the Golf Channel, olympic sports, some miscellaneous autosports and mecum stuff. You can't really cobble together justification for a whole channel on that.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »

Yeah that is a good synopsis.  NBC hasn't shelled out big $$ for programming that can fill every evening.  They also haven't gone into the "take industry" that dominates the ESPN and FS1 daytimes, which is smart because I doubt there is much room for that.  Putting their sports properties on the USA or something similar makes sense.

It makes sense because the economics of the USA Network and the rest are dying and they are desperate to keep it afloat while they figure out what to do next.

If you are not a subscriber to ESPN+ ... that will be the future of sports.  A cheap online aggregator that provides everything on every platform at once.  The days of searching for a sporting event between TBS, TNT, USA etc is the last breathes of a dying cable/broadcast business.

feedback