[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182875 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #2175 on: October 12, 2021, 10:06:55 PM »
Only about 3000 more days on Yelich's contract!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2176 on: October 12, 2021, 10:16:34 PM »
That's pathetic.  Terrible message to our youth.

No to mention the rest of the league.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2177 on: October 12, 2021, 10:19:10 PM »
I really wanted a White Sox-Brewers World Series, so I am bummed they were both eliminated the same day.
I was at the Sox game today. At times it seemed like the crowd had more energy than the team. I wondered yesterday if having the rainout after their win Sunday would hurt their momentum.
Pitchers kept getting two strikes and then serving the ball up, it seemed.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2178 on: October 12, 2021, 10:22:21 PM »
Only about 3000 more days on Yelich's contract!

I kept trying to come up with a Brewers/Sox trade that involved Eloy/Peralta/Yelich/Keuchel, but forgot how bad that Yelich contract is, and has deferrals through 2042. That Yelich contract is very no bueno.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2179 on: October 12, 2021, 11:45:26 PM »
I kept trying to come up with a Brewers/Sox trade that involved Eloy/Peralta/Yelich/Keuchel, but forgot how bad that Yelich contract is, and has deferrals through 2042. That Yelich contract is very no bueno.

Hah, as a Cubs fan, makes the Heyward contract seem reasonable.  There are very few cases where contracts longer than 4 years make any sense for a baseball team. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2180 on: October 13, 2021, 01:02:11 AM »
He's totally lost. Pedal his heine, hey?

He’s untrade-able. Enjoy that contract for the next 7 years.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2181 on: October 13, 2021, 06:31:58 AM »

Well it's not the ncaa. They aren't going to give a team the death penalty. Because that would be stupid for the league, stupid for baseball, and stupid for the Astros.

"The sanctions against the Astros were the most severe that MLB has ever issued against a member club,[3] and are among the most severe sanctions for in-game misconduct in baseball history"

They fined the maximum allowable, suspended 2 Astros and 1 red sox coach. Couldn't touch the players. What else should they do?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2182 on: October 13, 2021, 06:55:15 AM »
There was no other way to settle this series than a game 5

The two clear best teams should be playing 7. But game 5 will be great.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2183 on: October 13, 2021, 07:42:17 AM »

Good thing our youth don't watch baseball.

Well it's not the ncaa. They aren't going to give a team the death penalty. Because that would be stupid for the league, stupid for baseball, and stupid for the Astros.

"The sanctions against the Astros were the most severe that MLB has ever issued against a member club,[3] and are among the most severe sanctions for in-game misconduct in baseball history"

They fined the maximum allowable, suspended 2 Astros and 1 red sox coach. Couldn't touch the players. What else should they do?

Yep.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2184 on: October 13, 2021, 08:17:36 AM »

Couldn't they be given a much harsher penalty?  LIke postseason bans or two year suspensions for players?  I dunno.  Seems ridiculous you can get away with  with blatant cheating. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2185 on: October 13, 2021, 08:20:10 AM »
No professional league bans teams from postseason play.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #2186 on: October 13, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »
No professional league bans teams from postseason play.

And you can't punish players outside the rules agreed upon in the CBA.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2187 on: October 13, 2021, 08:31:40 AM »
I really wanted a White Sox-Brewers World Series, so I am bummed they were both eliminated the same day.

Likewise. Nobody left to root for.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2188 on: October 13, 2021, 08:44:01 AM »
No different than most years.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2189 on: October 13, 2021, 08:45:52 AM »

Likewise. Nobody left to root for.

Yeah, it’s going to be a gross final 4.  I could probably root for SF but won’t like it
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2190 on: October 13, 2021, 08:46:20 AM »
I lost respect for Altuve.  He was one of my favorite players. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2191 on: October 13, 2021, 08:51:46 AM »
If you say so? But his ERA, WHIP, and K/bb were all better the 2nd half of this year than they were last year.  He threw more innings in the 2nd half this year 74.2 compared to 72.1(just noting to show the statistical comparison is pretty fair), and had fewer walks, (19 this year, 28 last year).  You could make the argument he was basically the same, I don't see how he was worse in any way. 

The pitching in the playoffs was terrible.  They all crapped down their legs.

Buck

You’re right, I should have said last full year (2019). Even with that said, I was amazed that his 2021 WAR was as good (4.3) as it was. Down from 5.8 in 2019 but still solid. He just didn’t seem that good to my (bad, I guess) “eye test”. I thought he was on the verge of stardom after 2019. This year felt like a step back.

• All American
« Reply #2192 on: October 13, 2021, 08:52:09 AM »
I can probably count the number of games I will even partially watch from here on out on one hand.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2193 on: October 13, 2021, 08:54:09 AM »
Because of your height sensitivity, Muggsy?   Or because of him having the throwing yips last year?   

Stealing signs have been part of baseball forever.   Same thing in football, which is why you have three guys signaling in plays.   And radio receivers.   Remember the Patriots getting fined a few years ago?

Houston went high tech.  Eventually, they got busted.   They were punished within the  established rules.  And they were held in contempt by players and fans alike.   There isn't a crap-ton else that can be done.

And honestly, the best story line remaining is Houston coming back from their collective sins.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2194 on: October 13, 2021, 09:09:09 AM »
Can't remember ...

Was there this much angst about Yelich's contract when he signed it?

Yes, it could end up being a Mauer-ish type situation, which hurts teams in markets like Minneapolis and Milwaukee. But those teams really have little choice. They almost have to pay big bucks to the home-grown superstar or it sends a really bad message.

Or they could go the Rays' way: Let guys leave when they become great and have such an incredible farm system that it doesn't matter.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2195 on: October 13, 2021, 09:15:56 AM »

And you can't punish players outside the rules agreed upon in the CBA.

It was less about the CBA than it was Manfred giving the players immunity. The MLBPA specifically denied that they stood in the way of player discipline.

• All American
« Reply #2196 on: October 13, 2021, 09:20:40 AM »
Can't remember ...

Was there this much angst about Yelich's contract when he signed it?

No it was pretty much universally praised, but it was announced in March 2020 just as everything was shutting down.

It's still way too early to call it a bad contract.

• All American
« Reply #2197 on: October 13, 2021, 09:21:05 AM »
It was less about the CBA than it was Manfred giving the players immunity. The MLBPA specifically denied that they stood in the way of player discipline.

That's right.  Thank you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2198 on: October 13, 2021, 09:22:31 AM »

No it was pretty much universally praised, but it was announced in March 2020 just as everything was shutting down.

Exactly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2199 on: October 13, 2021, 09:30:29 AM »

I’m really hoping that back injury really limited him this year. He did look like he was just guessing up there. Maybe he needs the off-season to rehab.

I wonder if he wasn’t able to get around as quick as usual and was just in protect the plate mode. Anecdotally, it looked like he had a ton of check swings when I watched. He started to hit better towards the end, just no power.