Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo overcomes Duke. And the rest of Providence.  (Read 6752 times)

RideMyBuycks

• All American
Re: Wojo overcomes Duke. And the rest of Providence.
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 11:07:27 PM »
The stopped the game and reset the clock. Feel free to rewatch it.

I invite you to do the same.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 11:08:00 PM »
Hmm. I'll have to re-watch that, and also review the rule. Thanks for the conversation, guys.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2021, 11:08:23 PM »
NM - Repost
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:12:53 PM by RideMyBuycks »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2021, 11:16:09 PM »
The Vegas line is a lot less meaningful in terms of assumed margin of victory than the 15/16 point lead we had late in the first half . I'm sure that's what mufanatic was referring to.
LOL was just being sarcastic on how people complain when we win but don't cover.
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2021, 11:19:17 PM »
RideMyBuycks is correct. The refs stopped to check if the shot went in before or after the 1 minute mark. It went in before meaning the clock kept running. No time was put back on the clock.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2021, 11:19:45 PM »
If Garcia plays like this the rest of the season, we'll be lucky if he comes back next year.  He was everything we thought he'd be tonight--20 points, 1-3 from 3, 5-5 from the line, and 6 boards.

We crashed the offensive glass when it mattered the most.

Watson is a really good player for Providence.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2021, 11:21:35 PM »
RideMyBuycks is correct. The refs stopped to check if the shot went in before or after the 1 minute mark. It went in before meaning the clock kept running. No time was put back on the clock.

I stand corrected. I thought Bardo said as they replayed it they added the time back.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2021, 11:26:18 PM »
I stand corrected. I thought Bardo said as they replayed it they added the time back.

He did say that. Or he said that it was why the refs were at the monitors and never corrected himself.
TAMU

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2021, 11:26:34 PM »

Yep. That was the correct call.

The second missed goaltend on Theo was terrible. The first one was probably the wrong call, but no worse than the "foul" that was called on the same shot attempt.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:29:54 PM by BM1090 »

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2021, 11:28:50 PM »
If Garcia plays like this the rest of the season, we'll be lucky if he comes back next year.  He was everything we thought he'd be tonight--20 points, 1-3 from 3, 5-5 from the line, and 6 boards.

There is not a single member of this team even remotely ready for NBA basketball, including Dawson.  He has plenty to work on before even thinking about playing at that level.  He will absolutely be back next season.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2021, 11:29:11 PM »

He did, but was incorrect. I only know the rule because we were probably on the other end of it some other time. Cooley asked the bench if it was the correct call and no one seemed to know.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2021, 11:29:51 PM »

Thanks, TAMU. Appreciate that. Nice call, RMB.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2021, 11:32:16 PM »
Speaking of calls, I think the no call when Justin stayed vertical defending I think it was Duke's drive when there was a lot of contact was correct and crucial. If I'm not mistaken, that was the same sequence where Justin got the put back slam in transition to grab momentum back.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2021, 11:35:33 PM »

We'll cross the Garcia/NBA bridge when it matters to do so. I'll take a dozen great games like that from him and worry about whatever later.

When we lived in Chicago, the folks across the street were our best friends. Watson is their nephew. He was real little when we lived there and he came to visit his aunt, but I remember him as a nice kid. He's become a real good player.

There is not a single member of this team even remotely ready for NBA basketball, including Dawson.  He has plenty to work on before even thinking about playing at that level.  He will absolutely be back next season.

You're right about Dawson not being close to ready for the NBA, and the others too. However ...

It doesn't matter if they're ready or not. It matters whether they - and/or the people who talk to them - believe they are ready.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2021, 11:37:56 PM »
He did, but was incorrect. I only know the rule because we were probably on the other end of it some other time. Cooley asked the bench if it was the correct call and no one seemed to know.

Hat tip. Thanks for saving me as I thought I was having a senility moment there. I can now blame Bardo.

Btw, I love those nuanced discussions on rules and calls. I am always interested to understand more.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2021, 12:25:55 AM »
I think the thing that impressed me the most was that while we let a 16 point lead slip all the way down to a 1 point lead, we never gave up the big run. During Providence's comeback that started with around 3:30 left in the first, the Friars never scored more than 6 unanswered points (which happened twice). We didn't counter with a run of our own until the end, but we landed enough hits and stopped them enough times to slow their comeback and keep them from ever
taking the lead. With about 3 minutes left we finally ripped off a 7-0 run over own and that was all she wrote. Took some grit by the players to win this one.
TAMU

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2021, 01:14:17 AM »
I’ll take 8 turnovers from this team in a game any time.

Agree having only 8 Turnovers was huge.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2021, 01:43:24 AM »
Loved the recap title. Witty as ever, Tower. Ingenious too, as it relates to a criticism some have had here of Coach, myself included.  Wojo showed his true colors, I believe. Not a hint of Duke soft, if that’s even a real thing. Whatever it’s called, we don’t have that luxury or margin, ever.

I posted last week how Coach needs to light a fire under some guys, and it appears he did. Guys were doing what they were recruited for: Carton was driving, Dawson was attacking inside and out, Dustin was asserting himself. Coach also seemed more demonstrative on the bench. Less afraid of getting on a young team. I liked McEwen taking it personal and talking right back or glaring at Duke. He backed it up. The push-back mentality has to consistently be there. 
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2021, 02:23:07 AM »
Garcia had a very nice game tonight. I am not concerned about him leaving for the NBA after this season. Imo he has a long ways to go before ready to play at next level. That said, hope he proves me wrong and ends up breaking the bank.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2021, 06:23:37 AM »
1.  Worried about Theo's knee.  Warrior, though.
2.  Somebody needs to take charge on the floor.   Who is the alpha?  Alpha's put the team on their back when the opponent makes a run.
3.  Cain was not good.  Made a couple shots, had a few boards, but on balance, ugh.
4.  Announcers said any team counting on freshmen as much as MU is going to be inconsistent.   Duh. 
5.  Watson made Lewis look like a freshman.  But Lewis didn't quit.  Nice follow dunk.  And he finally made a 3.
6.  Garcia is good and only getting better.  Would love for tonight to be the new normal.   The difference tonight.
7.  I really like how Cooley changes up defense.   And that flex offense is unique in this era of 4 out and dribble drive.
8.   MU got the first one it needed.   Woot.

Very good assessment. We needed this win. Agree that our seniors need to step up, dominate and lead. We cannot have a successful season if there's no alpha with experience.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2021, 06:42:55 AM »
Something about Providence seems to bring the grit out in our team , that is why I like the series so much.

Overall a very solid team effort with all the guys contributing .

Team played hard for the full 40 minutes , that is what it takes to win in the Big East

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2021, 07:00:21 AM »

Bardo also was calling Nate Watson...."Nate Mason" and sometimes just flat out "Mason" last night. Guy lost his mind long ago.

Nate Mason was a PG for the gophers a couple years ago. Not even relevant team or position.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2021, 07:26:51 AM »
Two thoughts.

1. They really played hard.  As opposed to the UConn game, they matched the opponent's effort when it mattered.

2. Every time Cain put the ball on the floor, PC swarmed.  He just isn't great when he does that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 08:08:36 AM »

You're right about Dawson not being close to ready for the NBA, and the others too. However ...

It doesn't matter if they're ready or not. It matters whether they - and/or the people who talk to them - believe they are ready.

NBA drafts on potential rather than actual talent most of the time. That is why there are so many stories like Henry and Wesley.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2021, 08:15:03 AM »
NBA drafts on potential rather than actual talent most of the time. That is why there are so many stories like Henry and Wesley.

And because they draft on potential, it might actually be better for players to go early.  They get the contract, they work with NBA coaches on their game, and if it doesn't pan out you have a head start earning $$$.  But if they don't improve their game much during their college career, the NBA may no longer see potential for growth.

Had Henry stuck around for four years, where would he be now?  Probably along a similar path but three years behind where he is now.  Or perhaps he tops out in college and doesn't get drafted at all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow