Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo overcomes Duke. And the rest of Providence.  (Read 6751 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Wojo overcomes Duke. And the rest of Providence.
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2021, 09:01:48 AM »
Think a big positive is we won shooting under 30% from 3 while they were 9/19.

When we play them again we have to further focus on pounding the paint vs them and winning the glass again.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2021, 09:01:53 AM »
Strong win.  It feels good to win those tough battles.  Refs missed a big one late in the game off of Theo's block, but it is nice to be on the positive end of a missed call.  Cooley is such a strong ambassador for Providence and the Big East; his involvement in that Milwaukee story is amazing.  If there is a team I would root for to have a deep tournament run on behalf of the conference, it would be Providence because of Cooley. 

As previously mentioned, the next several games are all very winnable.  MU could definitely position itself to be in the top-half if all things fall right.  Need to stay healthy, hungry and strong. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2021, 09:22:39 AM »
And because they draft on potential, it might actually be better for players to go early.  They get the contract, they work with NBA coaches on their game, and if it doesn't pan out you have a head start earning $$$.  But if they don't improve their game much during their college career, the NBA may no longer see potential for growth.

Had Henry stuck around for four years, where would he be now?  Probably along a similar path but three years behind where he is now.  Or perhaps he tops out in college and doesn't get drafted at all.

Not disagreeing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2021, 11:54:45 AM »
NBA drafts on potential rather than actual talent most of the time. That is why there are so many stories like Henry and Wesley.

Exactly.

And yet we have the same routine over and over here.

Scooper 1 says: I sure hope Player X doesn't leave early for the NBA.

Scooper 2 responds: Player X is nowhere near ready for the NBA.

Well, history has shown time and again that readiness for the NBA often does not matter to Player X. It didn't matter to Henry, who was going to get drafted, and it didn't matter to Vander, who was told he almost surely wasn't going to get drafted. This applies to dozens (hundreds probably) of players from just about every P6 school for years and years.

I hope Garcia and DJ don't leave early for 2 reasons: 1, I don't think either will be able to compete at an NBA level for quite some time, if ever; 2, Selfishly, I want to see them play at least one more season at Marquette.

But I wouldn't blame either or both for leaving for the exact reason Sultan mentioned. And if either left, I would root for him to have a great pro career. I want whatever will make them happy (as long as it's legal!).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2021, 12:06:16 PM »
Well, history has shown time and again that readiness for the NBA often does not matter to Player X. It didn't matter to Henry, who was going to get drafted, and it didn't matter to Vander, who was told he almost surely wasn't going to get drafted. This applies to dozens (hundreds probably) of players from just about every P6 school for years and years.

I hope Garcia and DJ don't leave early for 2 reasons: 1, I don't think either will be able to compete at an NBA level for quite some time, if ever; 2, Selfishly, I want to see them play at least one more season at Marquette.

But I wouldn't blame either or both for leaving for the exact reason Sultan mentioned. And if either left, I would root for him to have a great pro career. I want whatever will make them happy (as long as it's legal!).

Dawson and DJ might not be ready, but they might also benefit from full-time development. I feel both have skillsets that give them NBA potential, and if you can get paid, I get going for it as soon as you think there will be a place for you. I don't begrudge them the decision, but I don't expect either would get regular minutes next year if they did go.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback