collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Insurrectiongate 2021  (Read 15045 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Insurrectiongate 2021
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2021, 07:08:09 PM »
Love this.  "Our country is more important than the politics of the moment"*.  I am praying our leaders (elected officials and otherwise) on both sides act as such.

* https://twitter.com/TheBushCenter/status/1346963094409539591

Yep. The more prominent Republicans who speak out loudly and clearly against this, the better. Regardless of what one thinks of GWB's policies, he is a decent human being and loyal American.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Well...
« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2021, 07:18:56 PM »
To my point above about Republicans clearly and strongly denouncing what happened today…part of a statement from Ben Sasse:

“Today, the United States Capitol — the world’s greatest symbol of self-government — was ransacked while the leader of the free world cowered behind his keyboard — tweeting against his vice president for fulfilling the duties of his oath to the Constitution,” he said in a statement.

“Lies have consequences,” he continued. “This violence was the inevitable and ugly outcome of the president’s addiction to constantly stoking division.”

Good for Sasse. I hope many Republicans follow suit.
I’m gonna have to disagree with you here. If this was inevitable, shouldn’t he have done something prior to now to prevent it? 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2021, 07:20:38 PM »
I’m gonna have to disagree with you here. If this was inevitable, shouldn’t he have done something prior to now to prevent it?

Such as? He's part of a very small minority of congress willing to break from Trump but he's still a small minority.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2021, 07:31:53 PM »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2021, 07:35:44 PM »

My dad called me today and went “Olympus has Fallen really isn’t that far fetched.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2021, 07:38:35 PM »
Sure, but how? The two mechanisms are the 25th Amendment or Impeachment and ratification.

The 25th requires a majority of the members of his Cabinet to go along. Can you tell me which of his sycophants would vote to remove him via the 25th?

Removal through Impeachment ratification requires 67 Senators to agree. I'd say this is slightly more likely, but will it happen within the next two weeks? Or next 48 hours?

You’re probably right, T. But after today, maybe they would go along with Pence.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2021, 07:40:34 PM »
Apparently, Michigan was a dry run in more ways than one.   Storming the capitol.  And there is now reporting there were plans to kidnap legislators and hold trials, just like that group was arrested for during the autumn here in Michigan.   Woo-hoo.  Michigan ahead of the curve!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:06 PM »
Such as? He's part of a very small minority of congress willing to break from Trump but he's still a small minority.
He occasionally disagrees with Trump, and sometimes he’ll say so via social media. How courageous! 

He’s a smart dude (I have said this before but I grew up in the same town and he was a grade behind me in school) but he is nothing but a coward when it comes to Trump.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2021, 07:50:21 PM »

What on earth could he possibly have done? He does not have authority over the Capitol Police, the DC metro police department or the National Guard. He does not even have the ability to force a vote on a Senate resolution. Any specific ideas, or just general criticism?

I am not trying to paint Sasse as some sort of hero, but at least he has been trying to say the right things.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2021, 07:53:39 PM »
The romanticizing and intellectualizing of "revolutionary" violence has got to stop on all sides. On one side we have wanton destruction of property and businesses, on the other storming the Capitol building while acting out a moronic con man's fantasies?  If you support one you cannot support the other (and vice versa) without being a flaming hypocrite and providing the opposite side justification for what they're doing.

I've seen a lot of people on the far right claiming "antifa" was infiltrating today's festivities and were the real culprits (it's already been condemned and debunked by one of the biggest antifa scaremongers around, BTW), just as people on the far left claim "white supremacists" are actually responsible for violence and destruction for which far left groups proudly take credit (some less than 5 minutes from my home and in two instances, my wife's offices). Doing that just emboldens the other side and is to blame for what happened today. You're not revolutionaries or freedom fighters, on par with the troops in WW2 or the American Revolutionaries, you're idiots, terrorists, seditionists, and criminals.

As the great troubadour Dave Hause (my last pre-COVID concert) wrote and sang: "Let's be saboteurs. Take 'em down from the inside."
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2021, 08:01:51 PM »
The romanticizing and intellectualizing of "revolutionary" violence has got to stop on all sides. On one side we have wanton destruction of property and businesses, on the other storming the Capitol building while acting out a moronic con man's fantasies?  If you support one you cannot support the other (and vice versa) without being a flaming hypocrite and providing the opposite side justification for what they're doing.

I've seen a lot of people on the far right claiming "antifa" was infiltrating today's festivities and were the real culprits (it's already been condemned and debunked by one of the biggest antifa scaremongers around, BTW), just as people on the far left claim "white supremacists" are actually responsible for violence and destruction for which far left groups proudly take credit (some less than 5 minutes from my home and in two instances, my wife's offices). Doing that just emboldens the other side and is to blame for what happened today. You're not revolutionaries or freedom fighters, on par with the troops in WW2 or the American Revolutionaries, you're idiots, terrorists, seditionists, and criminals.

As the great troubadour Dave Hause (my last pre-COVID concert) wrote and sang: "Let's be saboteurs. Take 'em down from the inside."

Sorry, but some of the riots and violence were started by right extremists this summer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/alleged-followers-of-boogaloo-movement-face-charges-linked-to-protests-11592920008
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2021, 08:02:06 PM »

While I'm against both versions of violence, it has to be acknowledged it's a different end goal. One is protests for equality and awareness to perceived injustice where opportune criminals have joined and corrupted. The other amounts to essentially overthrowing democracy.

Still though thanks again for the Dave Haus recommendation last year, a few  songs made it to my top songs of 2020. Though to give a tip, I wouldn't yell that you're against BLM at his shows.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2021, 08:07:01 PM »
https://youtu.be/8e7Sak9xQgg

I don’t condone violence or looting or rioting. But I also don’t face police brutality or systemic racism on a daily basis. People say protest peacefully. Then they get mad when someone kneels during a National Anthem or wears a black uniform or a patch on a uniform. So what’s the answer? Just forget the cause?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2021, 08:08:00 PM »

Both sides. 🙄🙄🙄
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:09:47 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2021, 08:10:29 PM »
Apparently, Michigan was a dry run in more ways than one.   Storming the capitol.  And there is now reporting there were plans to kidnap legislators and hold trials, just like that group was arrested for during the autumn here in Michigan.   Woo-hoo.  Michigan ahead of the curve!

Maybe the Lions are ahead of the curve. Lull everyone asleep for 40 years and then pounce.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2021, 08:12:56 PM »
Both sides. 🙄🙄🙄

You claim there are no bad actors on the far left? 

Bad people on both sides.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2021, 08:13:56 PM »

What on earth could he possibly have done? He does not have authority over the Capitol Police, the DC metro police department or the National Guard. He does not even have the ability to force a vote on a Senate resolution. Any specific ideas, or just general criticism?

I am not trying to paint Sasse as some sort of hero, but at least he has been trying to say the right things.
My criticism wasn’t about today. And I understand what you are saying, but talk is cheap.

This explains my feelings quite well:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/16/sad-case-ben-sasse/

I just listened to him speak on CNN. He’s obviously intelligent, a great speaker and he effectively portrays himself in a very down home small town American kind of way, because that is genuinely what he is. He is appealing, but he’s also disappointing. Does that make sense?

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2021, 08:14:40 PM »
Reports say that Trump and Giuliani continue to call senators asking them to object.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2021, 08:18:08 PM »
I've seen a few retired generals (Honore and others) interviewed in the news tonight, and they are absolutely excoriating the Capitol Police. As one put it, they "allowed protestors to breach the perimeter of a critical American asset." Honore in particular sounded absolutely furious with them.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2021, 08:18:14 PM »

There absolutely are bad actors on the FAR left. But those are condemned by the the other 95% of the left and all of the right, the right has 20% blind cultist conspiracy followers that are actively spurred on by the POSOTUS, Fox media, and high ranking members of the GOP. HUGE difference

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2021, 08:18:33 PM »

False equivalency. Unsurprising.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2021, 08:21:39 PM »
My criticism wasn’t about today. And I understand what you are saying, but talk is cheap.

This explains my feelings quite well:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/16/sad-case-ben-sasse/

I just listened to him speak on CNN. He’s obviously intelligent, a great speaker and he effectively portrays himself in a very down home small town American kind of way, because that is genuinely what he is. He is appealing, but he’s also disappointing. Does that make sense?

I totally get that, and I didn't mean to imply that he is a great Senator. My point was simply to give him credit for his very aggresively worded statement. If all the other Republican lawmakers did the same, it would show a solidarity we desperately need.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2021, 08:22:15 PM »
He occasionally disagrees with Trump, and sometimes he’ll say so via social media. How courageous! 

He’s a smart dude (I have said this before but I grew up in the same town and he was a grade behind me in school) but he is nothing but a coward when it comes to Trump.

Interesting take. My fiancé's family's from Crofton (two towns away) and they hate him for being too left which usually gives someone a thumbs up in my book. I'll read the link you posted about him.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2021, 08:22:21 PM »
I've seen a few retired generals (Honore and others) interviewed in the news tonight, and they are absolutely excoriating the Capitol Police. As one put it, they "allowed protestors to breach the perimeter of a critical American asset." Honore in particular sounded absolutely furious with them.

They opened the gates to let them in. I’ll try to find the video. I think I saw it on DailyKos.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2021, 08:25:28 PM »
Aaaaannnnnddddd...Hawley sticks with his objections to PA.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.