[Today at 09:16:20 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: U-Conn't always get what you want  (Read 17138 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: U-Conn't always get what you want
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2021, 11:16:16 PM »
But do we know that is true? Oh, he’s also alive. Did you watch the press conference? If so, any thoughts on what was presented?

Yeah. My thoughts are two police officers armed with tasers, mace, batons, and guns couldn’t get control of a situation involving one unarmed person. If you’re that incompetent at your job, maybe it’s time to change how the job is done or find people who can perform the job better.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2021, 11:16:56 PM »
But do we know that is true? Oh, he’s also alive. Did you watch the press conference? If so, any thoughts on what was presented?

Was just about to post this correction - I actually did forget that Blake survived until I questioned myself a few minutes ago.

I did not watch any of the press, or read any stories.  Have only seen headlines since the first few weeks of the shooting. 

Who is protesting basic human rights? They are protesting the decision of the Kenosha Attorney General - a politically elected official - about a basic human rights situation. Since the AG made the wrong decision, it is now political.

I'm not sure that the TEAM is making a political statement - that seems like a stretch of your imagination to me. 

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2021, 11:20:57 PM »
I'm not sure that the TEAM is making a political statement - that seems like a stretch of your imagination to me.
Well no disrespect but why would they choose to make this gesture the day the news is released that the officer is not charged if not a form of protest against the decision? I mean they specifically reference Blake in their statements it’s not like they’re just generally protesting police brutality and racial injustice. It seems logical rather than a stretch of the imagination.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2021, 11:22:50 PM »
Another year or two of this, and we'll be in Georgetown territory.  The longer Marquette sticks with Wojo, the harder it will be to bounce back.

Apologies for bringing it back to hoops, though I do appreciate dialogue about Jacob Blake.

The dilemma is that optimists see us in a year or two as Georgetown under John Thompson, in their highlight years. Pessimists see us as G’town under JTIII, never filling potential.

My concern is that I don’t see us trending one way or the other with Wojo, but just stagnating. And I’m getting tired of that. At the same time, I fear starting over with a new coach, and find an odd stability in “being close” and having potential, with a solid program and good recruiting. I’m torn, and want some results.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2021, 11:29:21 PM »
The official written communication by the program said "in support of Jacob Blake".  I get the intent from the players with the purpose behind the messaging; unfortunately, to many, "in support of Jacob Blake" inadvertently says the team, the program and the school also supports an individual that had a warrant for third degree sexual assault against a victim; was armed with a deadly weapon against law enforcement; had broken a restraining order; had gotten into a confrontation with police with the children of the victim inside a nearby car.  To be clear, you can support criminal justice and police reform, the fight against racial and social inequalities and BLM as an entire whole, while not "supporting" or condoning the actions of one Mr. Blake leading up to this terrible incident. 

The problem for Marquette University and the Marquette Basketball program, is that this was not what was communicated; it was written as "in support of Jacob Blake" without any of the background or context.  It was written by emotion, and likely did not have much thought behind what was communicated or how it was said (especially since the announcement was just today).  Judging by the responses on social media (on both Twitter and Instagram), I'd say that the message created much division with many alums and supporters, which is unfortunate. 

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2021, 11:29:59 PM »
Actually, police brutality focused at black people isn't a political thing.  It's wrong.  It's worthy of a discussion not regurgitating talking points of your favorite TV channel.

Blake wasn't a model citizen, given his record he wasn't even a good citizen.  He probably shouldn't have gotten in the middle of a ruckus with the cops given his record.

The cops have a job that requires enforcing the safety of citizens, and were responding to a 911 call, and found a guy with an arrest warrant at the scene.  They should appropriately try to apprehend him, so that the courts can determine his fate.  They shot that man in the back 7 times. 

The team is not "celebrating" Jacob Blake - they're trying to help bring attention to the fact that Jacob Blake did nothing that day to deserve the death penalty,  and we need to fix our policing so that cops aren't the jury and the executioner so damn much.

Oh, and today's game sucked.  So I'm hopeful people can at least try to have some halfway decent conversation about the black uniforms worn to remember Jacob Blake.

As someone who's close to someone who had her daughter kidnapped, for you to call Jacob Blake trying to kidnap a little girl while brandishing a knife and resisting arrest (after having previously raped a girl) a mere "ruckus," is beyond the pale.

I know I'll be banned, but go f*** yourself.  It was disgusting for MU to "honor" Jacob Blake.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2021, 11:30:54 PM »
Apologies for bringing it back to hoops, though I do appreciate dialogue about Jacob Blake.

The dilemma is that optimists see us in a year or two as Georgetown under John Thompson, in their highlight years. Pessimists see us as G’town under JTIII, never filling potential.

My concern is that I don’t see us trending one way or the other with Wojo, but just stagnating. And I’m getting tired of that. At the same time, I fear starting over with a new coach, and find an odd stability in “being close” and having potential, with a solid program and good recruiting. I’m torn, and want some results.

Right... as Jose “showout zay” Perez reminded us today, “grass ain’t always greener”

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2021, 11:33:53 PM »

People talk up Wojo's recruiting, but really, it's pretty much been on par with Crean and Buzz.  No better, no worse.  Right about where it should be for a program like Marquette.  What's been lacking is the results.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2021, 11:35:39 PM »
I know I'll be banned, but go f*** yourself.  It was disgusting for MU to "honor" Jacob Blake.

I don't ban people for disagreeing with me.  You could be less disagreeable though.   And while I understand you have personal feelings on the matter, when the police shot Blake, he was not threatening a child's life, and kidnappings don't get most people shot 7 times in the back when the jury hears the case..

The official written communication by the program said "in support of Jacob Blake".  I get the intent from the players with the purpose behind the messaging; unfortunately, to many, "in support of Jacob Blake" inadvertently says the team, the program and the school also supports an individual...

That's a fair criticism, and Marquette's PR team should be better, but I think too many people take individual sentences and "off the cuff" opinions too literal.  It's easy for me to see they're saying they don't want their black fiends and family shot at even if they end up in the same situation as Blake.  That's why they "support" him.  The officer may not have been charged, and they're disappointed, but it doesn't mean the officers shouldn't have handled the situation better.  That's what the support is for - IMO.

Like I said.  We all need to have this discussion.  Because it IS important.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:40:59 PM by rocky_warrior »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2021, 11:36:03 PM »
The official written communication by the program said "in support of Jacob Blake".  I get the intent from the players with the purpose behind the messaging; unfortunately, to many, "in support of Jacob Blake" inadvertently says the team, the program and the school also supports an individual that had a warrant for third degree sexual assault against a victim; was armed with a deadly weapon against law enforcement; had broken a restraining order; had gotten into a confrontation with police with the children of the victim inside a nearby car.  To be clear, you can support criminal justice and police reform, the fight against racial and social inequalities and BLM as an entire whole, while not "supporting" or condoning the actions of one Mr. Blake leading up to this terrible incident. 

The problem for Marquette University and the Marquette Basketball program, is that this was not what was communicated; it was written as "in support of Jacob Blake" without any of the background or context.  It was written by emotion, and likely did not have much thought behind what was communicated or how it was said (especially since the announcement was just today).  Judging by the responses on social media (on both Twitter and Instagram), I'd say that the message created much division with many alums and supporters, which is unfortunate.

"We are extremely disappointed in the decision involving Jacob's shooting and we will continue to use our platform to advocate and fight for racial justice," the program said in a statement. "This is another reminder that just because racial and social injustice hasn't received as much attention recently, doesn't mean the need to fight against it has gone away."

You cut one half of one sentence of the statement to fit an agenda. There was context.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2021, 11:36:56 PM »

This is a real mic drop.

Rocky take notes.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2021, 11:38:08 PM »
"We are extremely disappointed in the decision involving Jacob's shooting and we will continue to use our platform to advocate and fight for racial justice," the program said in a statement. "This is another reminder that just because racial and social injustice hasn't received as much attention recently, doesn't mean the need to fight against it has gone away."

You cut one half of one sentence of the statement to fit an agenda. There was context.
So there you go. The statement says that they are protesting a decision made by a politically elected official. This is a question of politics after all?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2021, 11:42:08 PM »

Respectfully, could MU have not said this portion without the line that they "Support Jacob Blake".  Wouldn't have that gotten the same intent and message across?  Focus the message on "continuing to use our platform to advocate and fight for racial justice" and that "This is another reminder that just because racial and social injustice hasn't received as much attention recently, doesn't mean the need to fight against it has gone away."

The take away from the entire message from the team was not about racial justice or criminal justice reform; it was about the individual, Jacob Blake.  I would argue that this very important takeaway clouded the very intent and purpose behind what the team was attempting to say (or at least I think they were).  A lot more could have been said with less. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2021, 11:43:08 PM »
So there you go. The statement says that they are protesting a decision made by a politically elected official. This is a question of politics after all?

You do realize you're inserting YOUR words into that statement to come to the conclusion. 

This is a real mic drop.

Rocky take notes.

There's no "mic drops" or "winning' in this conversation.  The CONVERSATION is the important part.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2021, 11:43:16 PM »

They will continue to use their platform to advocate and fight social injustice. No. That is not political. But to the white people who benefit from it, some will try to turn it into politics.

And all this because you wanted to cry about politics being allowed on here. Yet here you are participating. Sad.

NoLongerWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2021, 11:44:44 PM »
Is it offensive to say Marquette Social Justice Warriors? Or is it only offensive when I remove the “Social Justice” part?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2021, 11:50:14 PM »
They will continue to use their platform to advocate and fight social injustice. No. That is not political. But to the white people who benefit from it, some will try to turn it into politics.

And all this because you wanted to cry about politics being allowed on here. Yet here you are participating. Sad.
I’m refraining from arguing about the justness of the decision, the situation that led to the shooting, Blake’s background, any of that. That’s the political part.

My entire argument is that, yes, this issue is inherently a political issue. The justice system is a state-run mostly political machine that acts differently with different political parties in charge. If we think basic human rights would’ve called for the officer to be charged then your answer to that is voting out those responsible for the cogs in the machine that you think failed. That’s how this is politics. The team is protesting the decision. It’s right there in their statement.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2021, 12:12:23 AM »
Back to the game...

- the periods in the first half where MU moved the ball and didn't run WOJO's 20 seconds of dribble hand off offense were actually quite fun to watch
- I sense in Jamal Cain's play a bit of "eff Wojo, I need to show what I can do so I can make some money next year doing this".  Need more of that.  Today he took and missed some tough shots, but he can create his own shot and that's needed right now.
- Need 2-3 more players to take the same approach.  Go out and play basketball

The halftime adjustments by UCONN were 100% predictable.  Trap Carton with the ball up top, trap the post.  Uconn executed it very well.  MU couldn't find the open man.  Wojo never adjusted to the halftime adjustments.  Just kept doing the same thing.  No TO's to change the system a little.  Not a single pass to the high post (which is open space when the ball is double teamed) and no other ideas how to counter the pressure.

MU lost AT HOME, from UP 18.  Inexcusable.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2021, 12:19:41 AM »
Back to the game...

- the periods in the first half where MU moved the ball and didn't run WOJO's 20 seconds of dribble hand off offense were actually quite fun to watch
- I sense in Jamal Cain's play a bit of "eff Wojo, I need to show what I can do so I can make some money next year doing this".  Need more of that.  Today he took and missed some tough shots, but he can create his own shot and that's needed right now.

To the first point, maybe Wojo did say "stop moving the ball and scoring so much!"  but I find that hard to believe.  And even if he did say that - would he really have not said "Nevermind, go back to what you were doing" at some point?

To the second and 3rd, if Cain plays well when he says "eff Wojo", why didn't he do that more in the 2nd half?  If it's really working, I think other players WOULD be in on that action.

Don't get me wrong.  Wojo didn't appear to do much to help the team in the second half, and when they get tentative (as they did) he needs to figure a way to get them out of that. 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2021, 01:00:20 AM »
Back to the game...

The halftime adjustments by UCONN were 100% predictable.  Trap Carton with the ball up top, trap the post.  Uconn executed it very well.  MU couldn't find the open man.  Wojo never adjusted to the halftime adjustments.  Just kept doing the same thing.  No TO's to change the system a little.  Not a single pass to the high post (which is open space when the ball is double teamed) and no other ideas how to counter the pressure.

I was thinking about the Timeouts, too.

I believe that the game ended with MU having two timeouts.

During one of UConn's runs (~3-4min left), I was like "Wojo, call timeout to stop this! What are you saving them for?!?"

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2021, 01:53:04 AM »

I think we can all agree we should not have lost the game, but the emphasis on AT HOME  is puzzling. Is it truly an advantage in the absence of fans? If so, how so?

I’m reminded of the scene from Hoosiers; the hoops are 10’ and FTs are 15’ both in Milwaukee and Storrs.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2021, 05:35:10 AM »
9 turnovers and a 29 pt swing in 15 minutes...achievement unlocked?
Remimiscent of Louisville meltdown under Buzz, except this was on our home floor
And yet the apathetic mediocrity crowd is still operating full tilt.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2021, 05:37:16 AM »
And yet, you were the one who felt the need to beat your chest and start a thread bashing a poster on here after we beat Wisconsin.  I didn't really see the point of that, but I guess people are free to post what they like.
Unless it is posted on Facebook, Twitter etc. Freedom is a concept that does not equate anymore.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2021, 05:42:29 AM »
9 pts in the last 13:55 of play.

No amount of excuses can get around that.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2021, 05:46:27 AM »

You are getting results. Same old same ol from Wojos product. Each year. Bring on the Talking Heads. "Same as it ever was"

feedback