Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: U-Conn't always get what you want  (Read 17164 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: U-Conn't always get what you want
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2021, 10:19:36 PM »
I've long felt more comfortable with a slight halftime deficit than lead because Wojo doesn't seem to coach well with a lead. This was a perfect example. Deer in the headlights, no adjustments.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2021, 10:20:18 PM »
Sure they do.  I still don't see the point.  He's bad, we've heard all the reasons before.  Maybe we should have coaching 101, 102, 103 threads after each game so he can read them and learn how to coach.  That might have a point.

And yet, you were the one who felt the need to beat your chest and start a thread bashing a poster on here after we beat Wisconsin.  I didn't really see the point of that, but I guess people are free to post what they like.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2021, 10:22:10 PM »
I didn't really see the point of that, but I guess people are free to post what they like.

Ah, NOW you get it.  We're all allowed to have opinions. lol.

ryegge

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2021, 10:23:38 PM »
I can’t see a road to the tournament for Marquette. They will be lucky to finish near .500 in the BE.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2021, 10:23:59 PM »
I’m rooting for wojo but if this crop of players doesn’t do something special this season or next it’s time to move on - I think we spend up to two years in Georgetown land as a result

mug644

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2021, 10:24:50 PM »
Two thoughts:

—For all Garcia’s great offensive performance, his defense on Polley...well, it allowed Polley to score as many points in the 2nd half as the MU team did.

—MU had 2 chances when down six, yet open looks for threes by Cain and Mckewn were missed. Then Carton took an unadvisable 3 that missed, and that was it.

It hurts, badly.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2021, 10:25:01 PM »
It looked like we completely lost energy. Haysoos, not GD tired again, I hope,
This team can't put two halves together. What's that a sign of?
Symir got TO'd once, didn't do much, but certainly didn't suck.
Hurley said they had more depth. Bench scoring 34-8.
Double double for Dawson.
I swear to God we are the worst team in America on opponent BOOB plays.
UConn was true to form with 44% Off rebound %.
We are looking at a 2-5 start. We have a severe need to sweep DP, SJU, and BUT, as well as
GT at home, X at home and at least a split with PC. We could perhaps drop one of those and survive.
Bottom line: there are a lot of nice things about our players, our coach,  but we are not a program ready to move up much....and the beat goes on, and the beat goes on.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2021, 10:26:22 PM »
0-3 at Fiserv in conference.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2021, 10:27:20 PM »
We have a week to figure it out.   :o

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2021, 10:29:12 PM »
What do you suppose we do.  Complain on a message board about it?

Yeah, why would anyone ever have an opinion about anything on a internet message board of all places. That would be crazy! Who does that?  ::)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2021, 10:29:48 PM »
I can’t see a road to the tournament for Marquette. They will be lucky to finish near .500 in the BE.
BLM told me last night .500 in conference puts us solidly in the tournament. Do we even think that’s true?

A path to .500 in conference would be sweeping DePaul and St John, winning our remaining game against Gtown, splitting with Providence, and getting 2 wins in any of our remaining games (Nova, Seton Hall, Creighton, Butler, Xavier, UConn).

I’m not sure I understand how or why that path would be considered solidly in the tourney.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2021, 10:31:15 PM »
BLM told me last night .500 in conference puts us solidly in the tournament. Do we even think that’s true?

A path to .500 in conference would be sweeping DePaul and St John, winning our remaining game against Gtown, splitting with Providence, and getting 2 wins in any of our remaining games (Nova, Seton Hall, Creighton, Butler, Xavier, UConn).

I’m not sure I understand how or why that path would be considered solidly in the tourney.

A .500 Big East team with wins over Wisconsin and Creighton?  Yeah.  We're in the Tournament if we go .500 in the Big East.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2021, 10:31:43 PM »
Ah, NOW you get it.  We're all allowed to have opinions. lol.
Not to be a tattle tale but lots of politics coming into the Hangin at the Al board right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2021, 10:32:17 PM »
Not to be a tattle tale but lots of politics coming into the Hangin at the Al board right now.

Not to be a tattle tale, but I'm going to tattle tale on people!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2021, 10:32:47 PM »
Absolutely embarrassing second half, which led to an epic collapse.  34-11 run.  Polley being on fire aside, UConn just hustled and clearly wanted it more.  Their bench, mostly by Polley, outscored our bench 35-8.  We were out-rebounded 42-28.  We had so many shots on offense that did not hit anything.  We, as in previous games, didn't have any answers.  Like in the Georgetown game, we struggled to score.  To me, the most telling play in the entire game was when Cain got the ball popped out of bounds behind him.  No one, at least on TV (and there are no fans) , was yelling that someone was coming behind him to swat at the ball.  Not the players on the court, not the bench, not the coaches.  There, once again, appears to be a disconnect.  And, we once again only have an eight-man rotation; tough to compete in the Big East without a dependable or productive bench (Lewis by himself is not enough). 

It gives me no pleasure to say, as I have long been a supporter and proponent of Wojo, but I am personally at the point where I would be in favor of a coaching change after the season.  The trajectory just isn't there.  MU teams do not develop or get better as individual seasons progress.  Problems do not get fixed and weaknesses do not get corrected.  There is no identity that supports sustainable, winning, tournament-caliber basketball. 

I will continue to watch each and every game, and absolutely continue to support and cheer for the players and staff.  I think the program is just at point where a new (and experienced) voice is needed.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2021, 10:34:07 PM »
what’s really bothering me is that so many analysts talk about wojos mentality when he was a player.  whether or not you want us playing like that we def don’t have the same identity  - we have zero killer instinct under wojo;

I had the exact same response when they went into that riff.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2021, 10:34:13 PM »
A .500 Big East team with wins over Wisconsin and Creighton?  Yeah.  We're in the Tournament if we go .500 in the Big East.
With only 2 quality wins in November? If our 2 additional wins I describe above are Butler and Xavier, then the Wisconsin and Creighton wins are pretty much our only resume fodder. Unless of course you are of the Wojo line of thinking that the Big East is a gauntlet and every win is huge yada yada.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2021, 10:36:40 PM »

I'm not sure about that. Would only be +2 in the win column, and that's assuming we win one at MSG. Depends on what games we actually play. If we're 8-8 and the six additional wins are all against GT, DPU, SJU, & Butler, that's not a NCAA team.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2021, 10:37:44 PM »
So who's getting in?  I mean, you need 68 teams, the Ivy isn't playing.  There is no chance a .500 team with 2 top 10 wins misses the NCAA Tournament.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2021, 10:38:15 PM »
Defensive intensity = 0. 

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2021, 10:38:28 PM »
I'm not sure about that. Would only be +2 in the win column, and that's assuming we win one at MSG. Depends on what games we actually play. If we're 8-8 and the six additional wins are all against GT, DPU, SJU, & Butler, that's not a NCAA team.
Basically exactly what I said.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2021, 10:39:31 PM »
.500 in conference play (and 14-12 overall) is not getting us in; that and two wins in the BET could be enough, but not .500 by itself.  15 wins is the key, which means MU needs to (at least) go 10-6 the rest of the way to accomplish that - and this assuming all the BE games end up getting played (which is still likely, but much more difficult with many programs going on pause).

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2021, 10:40:53 PM »
So who's getting in?  I mean, you need 68 teams, the Ivy isn't playing.  There is no chance a .500 team with 2 top 10 wins misses the NCAA Tournament.
Let’s bracketologize up a 68 team field for BLM because he can’t admit he’s wrong.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2021, 10:41:02 PM »

If that's their entire resume? We won't get in. No chance. Two Q1 wins won't be enough. This league isn't good enough.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2021, 10:42:24 PM »
I've long felt more comfortable with a slight halftime deficit than lead because Wojo doesn't seem to coach well with a lead. This was a perfect example. Deer in the headlights, no adjustments.

WOJO DOESN'T MAKE THE SHOTS!

feedback