[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA men's basketball tournament to be played entirely in Indiana  (Read 9067 times)

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
Re: NCAA men's basketball tournament to be played entirely in Indiana
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2021, 11:48:05 PM »
Way before my time, but I think the Beatles played at the Mecca once.

Before mine too, but they did, in 1964.  They stayed at the Coach House Motor Inn? Hotel?  Something like that.   We know it better as Mashuda Hall.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 07:46:10 AM »
Despite the fact that my own opinion is that the NCAA is an organization in which the upper echelon spends most of their time with their heads up their asses, I give them credit for trying to come up with a format that will allow themselves, the players, the fans, and the betting public to have a tournament. I hope they are successful.

I mean, we will see.  There is a reason they call it "bubble-like."  It's not a true bubble.  And they have done nothing to alter the timeline between Selection Sunday and the start of the First Four games.

But it does mitigate risk by cutting down on travel and centralizing testing.  Not sure if that's going to be good enough.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 09:56:57 AM »
  And they have done nothing to alter the timeline between Selection Sunday and the start of the First Four games.

The major problem with moving the dates would be CBS/Turner. If you move it one week out, you have the Final Four issues with the Masters.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 10:22:06 AM »
The major problem with moving the dates would be CBS/Turner. If you move it one week out, you have the Final Four issues with the Masters.

Push the Saturday tip times back a bit and there's no conflict. Nantz isn't a great PBP guy for hoops anyway.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:24:05 AM by MUfan12 »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 10:53:08 AM »
Push the Saturday tip times back a bit and there's no conflict. Nantz isn't a great PBP guy for hoops anyway.

Masters goes until 6pm or 6:30pm on Saturday. The networks like pre-game. You will not be doing a 7 & 9:20pm Final Four. Plus, Nantz is that great. Hello friends!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2021, 11:06:38 AM »

I get that.  But if everyone is on-site, they could easily compress the schedule.

March 14:  Selection Sunday

March 16:  Teams arrive

March 23:  First Four (one week after arrival)

March 24-25: First Round

March 26-27: Second Round

March 28-29: Sweet 16

March 31-  April 1:  Elite 8

April 3: Semis

April 5: Finals

Obviously this takes out the first big weekend on television, but sticking to the same schedule when everyone is on-site and teams getting 4-7 days off between games doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »
Way before my time, but I think the Beatles played at the Mecca once.

Sept of 1964.
they spent the night in what is now Mashuda Hall. Rumor was the block of rooms in the back on the 7th floor.
I believe Mashuda was a Coach Light Motor Inn at the time.  Later became a Holiday Inn prior to being purchased by MU.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2021, 11:50:52 AM »
Sept of 1964.
they spent the night in what is now Mashuda Hall. Rumor was the block of rooms in the back on the 7th floor.
I believe Mashuda was a Coach Light Motor Inn at the time.  Later became a Holiday Inn prior to being purchased by MU.
Mashuda was a Howard Johnsons.  West Hall was a Holiday Inn.

romey

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2021, 11:54:51 AM »
And it was the Milwaukee Arena.  ;D

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2021, 12:28:19 PM »

My dad was on a business trip to Milwaukee in the late 1970s and stayed at that Holiday Inn because it was cheap.  When he was staying there, someone was shot and killed in the lobby and the Police woke everyone up to interview them.

The first time my mother heard this story was the day they dropped me off at MU in 1986 when he found out it was a residence hall.  If you know both my mom and my dad, there was a good reason that story was not told earlier.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2021, 11:36:32 AM »
https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1347594672663891968

"On Wednesday the NCAA quietly published its COVID-19 protocols for this year’s NCAAT. One line: "All Tier 1 travel party participants will be required to undergo and document seven consecutive negative COVID-19 tests prior to arrival into Indianapolis."

I'm not sure how you can have conference tournaments with that guideline.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2021, 11:55:21 AM »
https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1347594672663891968

"On Wednesday the NCAA quietly published its COVID-19 protocols for this year’s NCAAT. One line: "All Tier 1 travel party participants will be required to undergo and document seven consecutive negative COVID-19 tests prior to arrival into Indianapolis."

I'm not sure how you can have conference tournaments with that guideline.

Yeah, that's the direction I figured it was going to go.  It would probably be most prudent to just have each league's regular season champ get the auto bid.  Not sure how that will impact Marquette's chances of getting selected.

On a related note, are conference tournaments really necessary?  Don't get me wrong, they're a ton of fun and I'll take as much basketball as I can get that time of year, but outside of a few bid stealers in mid major conferences, they seem to have minimal impact on seeding.  I like the fact that every team has a shot to make the tournament until they lose their very last game of the season, but how often does a crappy P6 team run the table and get a bid?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2021, 12:24:45 PM »
On a related note, are conference tournaments really necessary?  Don't get me wrong, they're a ton of fun and I'll take as much basketball as I can get that time of year, but outside of a few bid stealers in mid major conferences, they seem to have minimal impact on seeding.  I like the fact that every team has a shot to make the tournament until they lose their very last game of the season, but how often does a crappy P6 team run the table and get a bid?

I mean are any games 'necessary'?  I am pretty sure it's all for fun.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2021, 12:40:10 PM »
Yeah, that's the direction I figured it was going to go.  It would probably be most prudent to just have each league's regular season champ get the auto bid.  Not sure how that will impact Marquette's chances of getting selected.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2021, 03:36:00 PM »

My dad was on a business trip to Milwaukee in the late 1970s and stayed at that Holiday Inn because it was cheap.  When he was staying there, someone was shot and killed in the lobby and the Police woke everyone up to interview them.

The first time my mother heard this story was the day they dropped me off at MU in 1986 when he found out it was a residence hall.  If you know both my mom and my dad, there was a good reason that story was not told earlier.

Anyone that went to MU in the 1980s remembers that it was a rough neighborhood, to say it politely.  By the late 1980s, the BOT was considering/talking about the possibility of moving MU (never went further than talk).

Instead of leaving Milwaukee, Father DiUlio decided to double down with its campus circle project and was instrumental in cleaning up the neighborhood.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2021, 11:41:12 PM »

I get that.  But if everyone is on-site, they could easily compress the schedule.

March 14:  Selection Sunday

March 16:  Teams arrive

March 23:  First Four (one week after arrival)

March 24-25: First Round

March 26-27: Second Round

March 28-29: Sweet 16

March 31-  April 1:  Elite 8

April 3: Semis

April 5: Finals

Obviously this takes out the first big weekend on television, but sticking to the same schedule when everyone is on-site and teams getting 4-7 days off between games doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It would make sense to cancel all conference tournaments and have teams isolating on campus before selection Sunday.  They could notify all the teams that they are in in advance for quarantine purposes, just not unveil the bracket until selection Sunday.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2021, 12:12:34 AM »
Anyone that went to MU in the 1980s remembers that it was a rough neighborhood, to say it politely.  By the late 1980s, the BOT was considering/talking about the possibility of moving MU (never went further than talk).

Instead of leaving Milwaukee, Father DiUlio decided to double down with its campus circle project and was instrumental in cleaning up the neighborhood.

Still think it would have been nice to close off Wisconsin.  Route traffic around it. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2021, 01:28:10 PM »
Some changes to traditional NCAA schedule.

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/1351611286124113922?s=20

fjm

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2021, 01:46:32 PM »
First round will be friday-Monday instead of Thursday-Sunday.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2021, 01:47:02 PM »
Some changes to traditional NCAA schedule.

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/1351611286124113922?s=20

Makes a lot of sense to compress the schedule like that once they get the teams in the pseudo-bubble.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2021, 02:24:21 PM »
First Four: Thu 3/18

First Round: Fri 3/19 and Sat 3/20

Second Round: Sun 3/21 and Mon 3/22

Sweet 16: Sat 3/27 and Sun 3/28

Elite 8: Mon 3/29 and Tue 3/30

National Semis: Sat 4/3

National Championship: Mon 4/5
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2021, 02:35:37 PM »
First Four: Thu 3/18

First Round: Fri 3/19 and Sat 3/20

Second Round: Sun 3/21 and Mon 3/22

Sweet 16: Sat 3/27 and Sun 3/28

Elite 8: Mon 3/29 and Tue 3/30

National Semis: Sat 4/3

National Championship: Mon 4/5

So they shortened the Tournament by 2 days.  I wish they would've just cut the field to 64 and left the schedule alone.  Second round games on a Monday sucks, Elite 8 games on Monday and Tuesday sucks.

But, let's just have a Tournament at this point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2021, 02:38:50 PM »
So they shortened the Tournament by 2 days.  I wish they would've just cut the field to 64 and left the schedule alone.  Second round games on a Monday sucks, Elite 8 games on Monday and Tuesday sucks.

But, let's just have a Tournament at this point.

Yeah I am glad to have a tourney at all but these are really pointless changes.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2021, 04:01:57 PM »
Second round games on a Monday sucks, Elite 8 games on Monday and Tuesday sucks.

Eh, For second round you're just trading a Thur of no work to a Mon of no work.  For E8, the 2 games per day can mostly be in the evening anyway, so no real work impact.

Yeah I am glad to have a tourney at all but these are really pointless changes.

But also this.  Though I am appreciative that they're removing overlapping games from the S16.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 04:05:59 PM by rocky_warrior »

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2021, 05:04:37 PM »
Eh, For second round you're just trading a Thur of no work to a Mon of no work.  For E8, the 2 games per day can mostly be in the evening anyway, so no real work impact.

Looking forward to having no work on all of these days.  We'll be bringing home a new baby less than a week before tourney time, so I'll be home on paternity leave and can watch almost every minute!

feedback