[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: An absolute master at doing just enough to keep his job...  (Read 25804 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: An absolute master at doing just enough to keep his job...
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2021, 01:03:26 PM »
The poster of this thread needs to find more meaning in life than depending on 18-20 year olds playing basketball
Yet here you are browsing through and posting on a message board largely to discuss 18-20 year olds playing basketball. Introspection might be needed?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2021, 01:09:15 PM »
There’s actually three options Wades which is what you can’t seem to grasp:
1. MU loses a lot, Wojo fired, rebuild starts (generally happy and hopeful after we get through the mud of several losses)
2. MU wins some, loses several, finishes .500 in conference, first four out or last four in, no tourney run (big time misery, alma mater is now irrelevant nationally, Sisyphus pushing the boulder up the hill)
3. MU wins a lot, wins a conference tourney OR wins NCAAT games OR is consistently finishing in the top 3 OR wins the Big East regular season title outright (big time happiness, content with the program, MU rah rah)

As you can see option 3 is preferable to all (myself included). Option 3 is impossible for Wojo to pull off, as he’s shown. Next best scenario in terms of general sentiment is option 1 with hope for the future. If option 2 equals happiness for you - then our standards for this program do not align which would explain why we are consistently at odds.

Option 1 isn’t an option this year. Sorry.

I don’t know how you can say option 3 is impossible when we are 2 years removed from being right in the thick of a conference title race, which is what you want. But okay. It’s impossible this year, yes. So the only real option for this year seems to be option 2, which you’re obviously miserable with. So maybe take the year off and check back next year. Maybe a mass exodus of players happens and option 1 becomes possible. Then you can have something to look forward to. Rah rah MU let’s finish last!

I’m not sure MU has ever been first four in or last four out. And if they’re .500 in conference this year, they’ll be solidly in.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:22:29 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #202 on: January 03, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »
Go and find me the post where I “denigrated the players for celebrating a win”. I said, in my opinion, Wojo’s response to it should’ve been different to keep a long-term perspective about this season.

Some of you that hate my posts play telephone with the things I say to create an ludicrous strawman that’s not even close to what I said in the first place.

See how that’s different?

+1

That's you saying "+1" to this:

Seeing the team celebrate like this after beating Georgetown is just a sad, sad indictment on where the program is at.

So, yes, you did denigrate the players for celebrating the win.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2021, 01:23:31 PM »
Probably should have a poll:

Would you rather ..

A) Continue onward with this season's trajectory, a .500 season, maybe with the right combination of wins get into the dance (or no post-season.)

B) Lose an unequivocal amount of games that MU makes a change and parts ways with Wojo

Short term vs. long term.
Unfortunately a poll would not allow us to see how individuals voted.  While Wojo has not been stellar, people were also seriously wanting Crean and Buzz gone. So what is to say the next fellow would fair any better especially with the fans.  All it would be is the next coach with fans targeting his removal.  Gets old and certainly detracts from enjoying the season and team.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #204 on: January 03, 2021, 01:25:31 PM »
That's you saying "+1" to this:

So, yes, you did denigrate the players for celebrating the win.
It’s a sad indictment of where the program is at. That’s true. Not denigrating the players denigrating the state of the program.

Also funny that me saying “+1” to a post devolved into what you made it.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2021, 01:36:49 PM »
Option 1 isn’t an option this year. Sorry.

I don’t know how you can say option 3 is impossible when we are 2 years removed from being right in the thick of a conference title race, which is what you want. But okay. It’s impossible this year, yes. So the only real option for this year seems to be option 2, which you’re obviously miserable with. So maybe take the year off and check back next year. Maybe a mass exodus of players happens and option 1 becomes possible. Then you can have something to look forward to. Rah rah MU let’s finish last!

I’m not sure MU has ever been first four in or last four out. And if they’re .500 in conference this year, they’ll be solidly in.
Yes MU rah rah to 6th in conference just ahead of DePaul, Gtown, and St John. If you don’t like that you don’t like MU basketball!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2021, 01:37:59 PM »
How do you really feel? 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #207 on: January 03, 2021, 01:48:44 PM »
Here is an interesting question.
Ray Meyers the former DePaul Coach during and after Al.
Never seemed to be an over achiever.  Also a person who seemed to do enough to be around.
Then one year he gets Mark Aguirre and Terry Cummings and they were in elite status.

Would one want Wojo if this is what he achieves? 
If he had achieved this as quickly as Crean with Wade, would everyone be happy with Wojo?
As I recall, Crean didn't make the NCAA the following two years without Wade and it took the Three Amigos and Novak before he returned to the dance.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #208 on: January 03, 2021, 01:54:38 PM »
Never seemed to be an over achiever.  Also a person who seemed to do enough to be around.
Then one year he gets Mark Aguirre and Terry Cummings and they were in elite status.

If he had achieved this as quickly as Crean with Wade, would everyone be happy with Wojo?
As I recall, Crean didn't make the NCAA the following two years without Wade and it took the Three Amigos and Novak before he returned to the dance.
Wojo had a transcendent college talent for 4 years already. We’re going to put a number in the rafters (rightfully so) without putting any team success in the rafters. Make that make sense.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #209 on: January 03, 2021, 01:55:41 PM »

Ray built up quite an impressive national  resume immediately out of the gate at DePaul. He was hardly just doing enough to keep his job. His first few years at DePaul is considerably better than Wojo.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2021, 02:11:34 PM »
Ray built up quite an impressive national  resume immediately out of the gate at DePaul. He was hardly just doing enough to keep his job. His first few years at DePaul is considerably better than Wojo.

Meyer made the Final Four in 1979 and lost to Larry Bird in the semis. In 1981, he had the number one team in the country and lost to St Joseph’s in the second round of the tourney.

If Wojo accomplished either of these things, I would be fine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2021, 02:12:53 PM »
How long will you people let this guy play you?

Amazing!!

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2021, 02:37:40 PM »
Great.

So now we have fans who are openly rooting for the team to lose because they think it’s in the beat long term interests of the program.

What a bunch of buffoons.

This may get me tossed into Dr. Pepper fanville jail but after all these years I have found it doesn't really matter to the final outcome if someone roots for or against MU to win...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2021, 02:53:18 PM »
This may get me tossed into Dr. Pepper fanville jail but after all these years I have found it doesn't really matter to the final outcome if someone roots for or against MU to win...

Ten Marquette game days without Dr. Pepper.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2021, 04:14:42 PM »
Don’t worry 5DollarPitcher, Wojo will continue to coach like a chump, this team will go nowhere, and you will be vindicated against these bandwagon slurpers.

Vindication for hoping Marquette loses? No.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #215 on: January 03, 2021, 04:37:50 PM »
Probably should have a poll:

Would you rather ..

A) Continue onward with this season's trajectory, a .500 season, maybe with the right combination of wins get into the dance (or no post-season.)

B) Lose an unequivocal amount of games that MU makes a change and parts ways with Wojo

Short term vs. long term.

I'm gonna add a little nuance to this ...

If we have one game to go and a win might or might not push us to the right side of the bubble, and somebody is convinced Wojo isn't the right coach for our program and that a loss would result in him being fired, I could maybe -- maybe -- see a fan "rooting" for a loss.

To me, that's similar to hoping your NFL team loses its last game so it can secure the No. 1 overall draft pick.

But on Jan. 2 -- with a 5-5 record, two top-10 wins already on the resume and most of the season still ahead of us -- hoping for a loss to Georgetown and then a whole bunch of future losses so that maybe, just maybe, Wojo will get fired (and he might not be)?

To me, that's similar to wanting a 3-3 NFL team to go 0-10 to improve its draft position.

That makes no sense, and IMHO it's not something a real fan does.

BTW, in the first scenario I describe, knowing myself, I doubt I'd root for Marquette to lose ... but I'd have had no problem rooting for the Panthers to lose their final game or two if doing so would have gotten them Trevor Lawrence.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2021, 05:17:33 PM »
Yet here you are browsing through and posting on a message board largely to discuss 18-20 year olds playing basketball. Introspection might be needed?

Its merely a casual purpose for me. To have such purposeful negativity takes a new level of obsession. Talk about projection...

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2021, 05:33:30 PM »
Its merely a casual purpose for me. To have such purposeful negativity takes a new level of obsession. Talk about projection...
If you think my 600 or so posts on here over 4 years constitute an obsession that takes over my whole life, you’re delusional. I come here to bitch about our terrible coach and vent after crapty games. Deal with it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2021, 05:46:45 PM »
If you think my 600 or so posts on here over 4 years constitute an obsession that takes over my whole life, you’re delusional. I come here to bitch about our terrible coach and vent after crapty games. Deal with it.

Very cool.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2021, 06:23:03 PM »

You'd hate to use a fan site to express joy when things are going well. Because then you might actually be confused with being a Marquette fan.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2021, 06:35:16 PM »
You'd hate to use a fan site to express joy when things are going well. Because then you might actually be confused with being a Marquette fan.
What?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2021, 06:35:45 PM »
Very cool.
Not even remotely a brag. Nice 13,000 posts tho.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2021, 06:49:07 PM »
Just when you thought we had reached a tipping point loss, Wojo gets bailed out by a Lewis takeover and embarrassing incompetence from Georgetown.

I’ve never seen a coach so apt at doing the bare minimum to keep his job. Bravo Steve, bravo.

You sound like negative nanny.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2021, 06:55:15 PM »
You sound like negative nanny.
0% chance he isn't a Karen in real life

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2021, 07:22:49 PM »
Not even remotely a brag. Nice 13,000 posts tho.

Thank you! I don’t come onto an internet message board only when the team I claim to be a fan of loses or plays poorly. But hey, to each their own I guess.

feedback