collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: PERMANENTLY CLOSED BARS & RESTAURANTS IN CHICAGO  (Read 5435 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: PERMANENTLY CLOSED BARS & RESTAURANTS IN CHICAGO
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 12:38:11 PM »
Those places would still be open if they would have received financial support when forced to shutdown.

Instead, we gave trillions to wall street.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 12:46:57 PM »
RIP to many of those places, also a lot of actual trash on that list.

California clipper, Southport lanes, crown liquors will likely be the ones I miss the most.

Have bagpiped at Guthrie's for St Patrick's day and always had fun.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 01:28:18 PM »
This story is playing out all across the country and not just Chicago.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 02:35:25 PM »
This story is playing out all across the country and not just Chicago.

Yep.

Those places would still be open if they would have received financial support when forced to shutdown.

Instead, we gave trillions to wall street.

And yep. More failure on the part of national leadership.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 02:46:52 PM »
How many of these bars opened in the last seven years or so? I’ve never even heard of most of them.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 04:12:23 PM »
Yep, it’s everywhere. Here is a list for NYC, which includes some iconic places. The 21 Club opened during prohibition, and quite a few others are at least 15 or 20 years old.....

https://www.theinfatuation.com/new-york/features/nyc-restaurant-closings

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 04:28:15 PM »
While the restaurants may have closed, I doubt that they all permanently closed. Have they pulled out the kitchen equipment, walk-in freezers, tables and chairs yet? That's when I would say they are permanently closed. Until that happens, from my perspective they're just in hibernation.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 04:33:28 PM »
We should try to find out which ones have sold their entire stock of toilet paper. Any places that have done that are surely serious.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 04:37:59 PM »
Maudes is extremely disappointing, just a fantastic spot. Blackbird is also tragic, one of those seminal spots that lead the Chicago’a push into a top tier food city over the last 25 years

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 07:33:45 PM »
Maudes is extremely disappointing, just a fantastic spot. Blackbird is also tragic, one of those seminal spots that lead the Chicago’a push into a top tier food city over the last 25 years

On the flip side of this, Lawry’s too? Doesn’t get more landmark than that.
At least you can still stay at JB’s MagMile Hyatt for $290.

Make no mistake, as MU82 stated, there’s been a huge void or dearth of national leadership. Authoritarian multi-billionaire governors don’t help matters.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 07:46:58 PM »
On the flip side of this, Lawry’s too? Doesn’t get more landmark than that.
At least you can still stay at JB’s MagMile Hyatt for $290.

Make no mistake, as MU82 stated, there’s been a huge void or dearth of national leadership. Authoritarian multi-billionaire governors don’t help matters.

Though, Lawry’s I looked at and wondered if it just hastened the inevitable. I don’t know many sub-40s people in Chicago that had been there, much less regularly. I have only went cause an old advertising boss of mine liked to have lunch there quarterly as a cheeky nod to the past

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 08:00:46 PM »
Though, Lawry’s I looked at and wondered if it just hastened the inevitable. I don’t know many sub-40s people in Chicago that had been there, much less regularly. I have only went cause an old advertising boss of mine liked to have lunch there quarterly as a cheeky nod to the past

You are probably right. Fewer still have been to the Berghoff, and that old gem kept on fighting. What was the name of the old, now defunct Italian place downtown that seemed like a doppelgänger to the also defunct Scornovacco’s in Highwood? I saw Michael Jordan there once. Ok I walked past his private room as he was being served. Google is not helping me remember this name. 😑
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 08:06:53 PM »

Agreed 100%. Had a sales associate friend from another company take me a few years ago to Lawry’s because he was convinced it was a Chicago iconic restaurant (his opinion). Never wanted to or needed to go back.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 08:21:22 PM »
Agreed 100%. Had a sales associate friend from another company take me a few years ago to Lawry’s because he was convinced it was a Chicago iconic restaurant (his opinion). Never wanted to or needed to go back.
You are probably right as well. I just have emotional ties to the place, as I used to stop there to pick up steak sandwiches for my best friend while he was hospitalized at NW Memorial. I meant “landmark” status just for the prime rib 😂.

Eldon

• All American

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2020, 09:19:32 PM »
https://onmilwaukee.com/articles/restaurant-closings-covid19

“Here are a listed of bars that have closed due to COVID”...proceed to list multiple places closed due to fire, seasonality, or moving  :P

The Cheel in Mequon/Thiensville is listed on there, though as mentioned it had nothing to do with COVID. Run by family friends, they were actually doing very well all things considered, had an extensive outdoor expansion last summer that proved quite clutch with the pandemic. Apartment fire in the 2nd floor above the restaurant unfortunately condemned the building. They have opened a taco joint nearby, Daily Taco, that was in the works when the fire happened. Highly recommend if you’re in the area. Great food and better people.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2020, 09:41:53 PM »
You are probably right as well. I just have emotional ties to the place, as I used to stop there to pick up steak sandwiches for my best friend while he was hospitalized at NW Memorial. I meant “landmark” status just for the prime rib 😂.

Nothing wrong with that at all, I totally get it and respect where you’re coming from.

Lawry’s just felt outdated, a relic to power meals, and a menu that was alright, but not a place I’d want to take my wife or friends to for a fun/social/expensive meal.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2020, 11:07:33 PM »
You are probably right. Fewer still have been to the Berghoff, and that old gem kept on fighting. What was the name of the old, now defunct Italian place downtown that seemed like a doppelgänger to the also defunct Scornovacco’s in Highwood? I saw Michael Jordan there once. Ok I walked past his private room as he was being served. Google is not helping me remember this name. 😑

Wait the bergoff went under? That's a shame it was true old world Chicago.

But Lawrie's isn't even a Chicago spot anymore it's a brand. I'm not particularly saddened by its passing, though my fiancé's parents are heartbroken.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2020, 11:56:40 PM »
Shame to see Lawry's on this list.  I definitely enjoyed the Nostalgia and would go there whenever I got a chance.  I must say that in recent years I favor Gibsons.  it's more fun.  Hope they survive.  I wonder if their terrace qualifies as outdoor dining?

In my current home town we have an old style steakhouse two blocks from home.  Before covid we were 2x/week guests (usually for soups and salads... I get about 1 steak per year) and during our lockdown we ordered take away or delivery as much as we could to help keep them going.  They have survived.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 12:24:30 AM »
It waS surprising to see Pippins on the list. I used to drink there while at graduate school at Loyola. Would go there for a drink or two after class in the MBA program. This bar had been around forever and a day.

As the reviewer said, it was a dive bar. Kinda reminded me of the Gym on campus at Marquette.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2020, 01:18:05 AM »
Nothing wrong with that at all, I totally get it and respect where you’re coming from.

Lawry’s just felt outdated, a relic to power meals, and a menu that was alright, but not a place I’d want to take my wife or friends to for a fun/social/expensive meal.

Lawry's seem more suited for downtown Las Vegas then it's Chicago.location.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2020, 09:32:09 PM »

Could it be the Como Inn? The other big food Italian places I remember from my downtown Chicago days are The Italian Village (next door to the Berghoff) and Gene and Georgetti’s.

feedback