Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo postgame presser after Nova  (Read 6208 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: Wojo postgame presser after Nova
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2020, 10:28:13 AM »
Read the book.
It is eye opening.  Nook $13.99 plus tax, you will never be the same.  Why We Sleep......
I don't get a kickback, ha.
No but merry christmas!

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2020, 10:31:46 AM »
I hate the tired excuse as well but all it takes a tweaked knee or ankle on a few guys that would normally be recovered in the usual time between games. Add the constant travel, it's tough to keep at it, I certainly don't/didn't want to compete when I get off the plane.

As an old former Wisconsin resident, 5 1/2 years at Marquette, I was no scholar, I often quote Vince.
"Fatigue makes cowards of us ALL".  It definitely takes away the edge.  It takes away the feel.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2020, 10:33:31 AM »
Ok mr pick a fight obstinate guy. Not sure what you cant understand about my statement. I never said I didnt get tired. Young bodies recover quickly especially athletes. If you were ever young you should know that.

I think you have no clue about what it is physically like to be a high level athlete.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
No but merry christmas!
The best to you and yours, time for me to drive Mrs. Clause around town and give out her baked goods.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2020, 10:34:34 AM »
10 games in 28 days.   7 against high majors.   4 time zones.    I think Lewis in particular has hit his first freshman wall.    Garcia is pushing up against it.   

"Our players aren't robots."     

Agreed. Two heartbreakers where we rallied to tie late, including tying the game onna four pointer and then only losing with two starters fouled out and a nearly perfectly defended three point heave.

Mentally might have been better to just get run off the court rather than a third straight mental hit like that.

The disruption in a lot of practices due to covid obviously made the team unprepared for pressure - but just clean up turnovers and a 16-10 would out us in good shape with the two top ten wins.

Not saying that's easy, but if we did that I'd be happy and we'd be in the tournament.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2020, 10:35:45 AM »
I think you have no clue about what it is physically like to be a high level athlete.
You would be wrong,  but merry Christmas

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2020, 10:37:17 AM »
The best to you and yours, time for me to drive Mrs. Clause around town and give out her baked goods.
Awesome. dont eat the goods before their destination.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2020, 10:39:15 AM »
Agreed. Two heartbreakers where we rallied to tie late, including tying the game onna four pointer and then only losing with two starters fouled out and a nearly perfectly defended three point heave.

Mentally might have been better to just get run off the court rather than a third straight mental hit like that.

The disruption in a lot of practices due to covid obviously made the team unprepared for pressure - but just clean up turnovers and a 16-10 would out us in good shape with the two top ten wins.

Not saying that's easy, but if we did that I'd be happy and we'd be in the tournament.

Auburn, nice to see you checked in.
Merry Christmas.
Thank God we are not in Bergamo.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2020, 11:03:06 AM »
Mentally tired, that I can see. They're not allowed to be college kids and blow of steam like they normally would. I think a lot of us are in that boat.

That said, these guys wear monitors to make sure they don't get to this point of physical fatigue. So either they're not using that technology the right way or Wojo is talking out of his ass.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 11:07:28 AM by MUfan12 »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2020, 11:16:18 AM »
Usually the tired excuse comes out when the team stops listening to Wojo at the end of the year.  I hope that’s not what’s happening here. 

If Wojo wants to protect the players he should have put last night on his shoulders, IMO.  It’s not hard to just say that this is the best team we have faced, we tried some different looks and lineups but ultimately they had our number. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2020, 11:19:08 AM »
Im consistently amazed how seriously some take press conferences
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2020, 11:54:58 AM »
I know it was a butt kicking loss, but I would like to see him a little more animated at his press conferences. Or at least give a little more thorough answers. I rarely listen anymore.He should recognize that this is supposed to be entertaining.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2020, 11:59:57 AM »

Or Cuddles...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2020, 12:21:58 PM »
I think some folks are tired of watching Wojo led teams. Must be something in the air in 2020.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2020, 12:50:26 PM »
Once again, it bears to keep in mind. One's own reality does not mean it is someone else's reality. Too few people understand this.

"Oh well it didnt happen to me so it must not be real"

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2020, 01:25:10 PM »
I think some folks are tired of watching Wojo led teams. Must be something in the air in 2020.

I think we need to let the season play out. December we did face some very good competition. Nova is a legit title contender. Let's see if Wojo can get it together.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2020, 01:25:34 PM »
Once again, it bears to keep in mind. One's own reality does not mean it is someone else's reality. Too few people understand this.

"Oh well it didnt happen to me so it must not be real"

No kidding.

And playing pickup basketball is definitely comparable to being a Big East basketball player who has had 4 games in 9 days.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2020, 03:43:27 PM »
They are not just 18-22 year olds ..  They lift weights regularly, with strength coaches and nutritionists paying close attention to their daily lives. 

They have hours of formal practices and more hours of informal gym time with very few days off -- and they've been doing all of that for years with little down-time ever.  They are finely tuned athletes. 

Tired because of a some top-talent competition over a few weeks?  Uh huh.
However, our young players are playing against teams that often have older, stronger and more experienced players.

panda

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2020, 05:53:00 PM »
However, our young players are playing against teams that often have older, stronger and more experienced players.

I think one of the many issues is that we’ve been the younger team for seven years.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2020, 07:02:05 PM »
Does Marquette have a sleeping issue no one is aware of?
Only when trying to guard 40%+ shooters beyond the arc
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2020, 07:06:58 PM »

This.

If a coach thinks his guys need a kick in the backside maybe he takes away their MU gear and makes them practice in T-shirts. If he thinks they need encouragement he shows them he has their backs.

Wojo’s trying to stay positive for the young guys. In the whole scheme of things probably means very little.

feedback