[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will you get the Covid vaccine when it's available to you?

Yes
57 (75%)
Undecided
5 (6.6%)
No - I won't get one unless my job or the government requires it
14 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: Will you get the Covid Vaccine?  (Read 23936 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Will you get the Covid Vaccine?
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2021, 01:01:00 PM »
so, if a proposal in Oregon to prioritize "BIPOC" individuals goes through, my 100% healthy, FT WFH, and younger than me wife will get the vaccine significantly sooner than I will. Teachers have moved to the front of the line (totally cool with that) but prioritizing "BIPOC" (I'm not sure which definition they'll use, she could be shut out too) because of "historical inequity," even over the elderly, seems pretty BS to me.

I thought the stats have shown that BIPOCs have been disproportionately impacted by Covid. If so, I could see that by reducing the spread there, it may have the greatest impact compared to the elderly.

No matter what group is prioritized, there will be anecdotal examples of people who are lower risk and can wait.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2021, 01:35:23 PM »
I thought the stats have shown that BIPOCs have been disproportionately impacted by Covid. If so, I could see that by reducing the spread there, it may have the greatest impact compared to the elderly.

No matter what group is prioritized, there will be anecdotal examples of people who are lower risk and can wait.

underlying conditions are not taken into account with giving them priority, just ethnicity. It will leapfrog them above those with underlying conditions.

For now, the Vaccine Advisory Committee is recommending that BIPOC communities, numbering about 806,000, and people with underlying chronic conditions, numbering about 1.8 million Oregonians, get vaccinated next. They would follow health care workers, senior care residents and staff, inmates, teachers and some senior citizens who are or will soon be eligible.

When those members objected, Kelly Gonzales all but accused them of being complicit in trying to maintain white hegemony.

“We’re also dealing with our own conditioning of white supremacy as it is showing up in our decision making,” said Gonzales, a member who represents Native Americans living in cities.

Black, indigenous and other people of color were ultimately included in the list, above those with underlying conditions. It’s unclear if the committee will ultimately recommend that BIPOC communities get vaccinated ahead of people with underlying conditions.

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2021, 01:53:42 PM »
underlying conditions are not taken into account with giving them priority, just ethnicity. It will leapfrog them above those with underlying conditions.

Well, strictly from a management/tracking perspective this makes sense.  It's been easy to target healthcare workers first, and elderly second (poroof of age is easy).  BIPOC is also easier to identify.  Underlying conditions?  How do you handle that?  HIPAA makes requiring proof difficult.  Everyone could get a note from their doctor, but that's also a burden on the person and health care system.

Honestly, as a white dude with asthma, I don't find any reason to find this terribly objectionable.  Stats do show this group has been disproportionally affected by Covid, and why not give it a shot.  We all have to get vaccinated sometime, and it might make priority lists easier to verify.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2021, 02:09:03 PM »
Sounds like it's time for me to really play up that 1.5% west African dna that came back in my 23nMe
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2021, 02:20:06 PM »
Sounds like it's time for me to really play up that 1.5% west African dna that came back in my 23nMe

And I'm sure that'll happen, just like people will play up "underlying conditions". 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2021, 02:21:36 PM »
And I'm sure that'll happen, just like people will play up "underlying conditions".

I was really considering going on a carb only diet to get obese quick.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2021, 02:25:48 PM »
If the pizza, beer, and dorm food didn't get you, I do t know what will.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2021, 02:34:41 PM »

Weed is legal and I have a lot more disposable income now. Type 2, here I come!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2021, 02:39:56 PM »

If you take the boxing I was doing out of the equation then it might've gotten me. Maybe time to return to sodexo's kitchens.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2021, 03:43:37 PM »

I wonder if having a great-great-grandmother who is 100% Mohican (not the last of them, however) would move me forward?

Honestly, as a white dude with asthma, I don't find any reason to find this terribly objectionable.  Stats do show this group has been disproportionally affected by Covid, and why not give it a shot.  We all have to get vaccinated sometime, and it might make priority lists easier to verify.

the question is whether it's purely ethnicity or due to societal conditions.

Raghib Ali, one of the government’s new expert advisers on covid and ethnicity, said there was “good evidence” that most excess risk among ethnic minorities was explained by risk factors other than ethnicity.

He told a Science Media Centre briefing on 21 October, “It’s not that [ethnic minority people] won’t be at increased risk—we will still have those risk factors, but we have to address the risk factors rather than just saying it’s ethnicity.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4099 (I checked to see if this was an incredibly biased source. It is not. One of the most highly respected and rated as "very high pro-science." One never knows these days).

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2021, 04:01:51 PM »
Well, strictly from a management/tracking perspective this makes sense.  It's been easy to target healthcare workers first, and elderly second (poroof of age is easy).  BIPOC is also easier to identify.  Underlying conditions?  How do you handle that?  HIPAA makes requiring proof difficult.  Everyone could get a note from their doctor, but that's also a burden on the person and health care system.

Agreed. It's good to prioritize the highest risk patients (like most states have with healthcare workers, the elderly, etc), but it also makes sense to prioritize those with the highest level of spread because it will ultimately help us all.

Less spread -> fewer variants -> less chance for escape mutations -> better vaccine effectiveness.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2021, 04:46:55 PM »
Just take up smoking the morning of your vaccination.  Boom, you have a risk underlying condition.

This also goes for "past smokers" .. which is impossible to disprove.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2021, 04:52:46 PM »
Just take up smoking the morning of your vaccination.  Boom, you have a risk underlying condition.

I smoked for three months I'm in 😎
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2021, 11:38:59 AM »
so, if a proposal in Oregon to prioritize "BIPOC" individuals goes through, my 100% healthy, FT WFH, and younger than me wife will get the vaccine significantly sooner than I will. Teachers have moved to the front of the line (totally cool with that) but prioritizing "BIPOC" (I'm not sure which definition they'll use, she could be shut out too) because of "historical inequity," even over the elderly, seems pretty BS to me.

Well, it turns out such a plan is illegal so it won't be happening. It didn't stop some dude (leader of an advocacy group) writing an editorial in the Oregonian claiming teachers are telling him they cannot stop crying and unable to sleep knowing they are getting the vaccine before a "BIPOC." SMH.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2021, 01:17:57 PM »

I used to be a pretty heavy second-hand smoker because I was alive on planet earth in the 70s. If the form doesn't distinguish between 'primary' and second-hand' smokers, I should be good to go.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2021, 04:59:28 PM »
Ascension in Racine sent out a notice to sign up for the vaccine.

Of course, when you tried to do it, you were informed that no vaccine is available.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2021, 02:30:48 PM »
Just made my vaccine appointment for March. Have to work a second job to get it but no complaints here
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2021, 03:14:11 PM »
Just made my vaccine appointment for March. Have to work a second job to get it but no complaints here

Right now the earliest I can get it is June. Maybe I should do what this c--- did and declare myself a "teacher" (I have to go on than she does) to move up the list:

https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/article/SoulCycle-teacher-COVID-vaccine-Stacey-Griffith-15914627.php

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2021, 03:16:46 PM »
Right now the earliest I can get it is June. Maybe I should do what this c--- did and declare myself a "teacher" (I have to go on than she does) to move up the list:

https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/article/SoulCycle-teacher-COVID-vaccine-Stacey-Griffith-15914627.php

You could also just get a part time grocery store gig for a month or do a small consulting role for a essential company like I am.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2021, 03:19:10 PM »

The state let her get one.  If the state let me get one tomorrow, I would.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2021, 03:46:10 PM »
You could also just get a part time grocery store gig for a month or do a small consulting role for a essential company like I am.
Or just claim you are a doctor, worked for Dr. Demon Sperm.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2021, 04:21:35 PM »

Did you really just call a woman a c---?  The fuq?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2021, 06:49:21 PM »
Did you really just call a woman a c---?  The fuq?

yes, after my wife (also a fitness instructor but who would never think of doing this) did. If the word fits....  Plus, I love me some Jim Jefferies.

Sorry if calling out someone who scammed her way to getting a vaccine offends you.

because she lied in declaring herself a "teacher."

The state let her get one.  If the state let me get one tomorrow, I would.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:53:59 PM by Billy Hoyle »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2021, 06:55:52 PM »
yes, after my wife (also a fitness instructor but who would never think of doing this) did. If the word fits....  Plus, I love me some Jim Jefferies.

Sorry if calling out someone who scammed her way to getting a vaccine offends you.

Actually, you just seem really angry that you don't qualify for a vaccine.  Between the BIPOC posts and this, you're trending.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2021, 07:00:29 PM »
Guessin' ya gotta crash an airplane inta a buildin' ta get wona dem, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"