Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue Jay SOTG  (Read 9908 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Blue Jay SOTG
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2020, 05:34:48 AM »
DJ all the way

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2020, 06:11:26 AM »
D.J. Carton.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2020, 08:27:43 AM »
Another vote for DJ.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Boards

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2020, 08:39:50 AM »
smoke em if ya got em.

DJ

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2020, 09:19:53 AM »
DJ=SOTG.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2020, 09:22:53 AM »
1. Greg Elliott
1a. DJ Carton
Honorable Mention
Justin Lewis

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2020, 09:57:00 AM »
I know some o here don’t like it,but I love the moxie Kobe shows to opposing players. He stared downMahobey several times at the line tonight, and delivered.

“You won’t make either of these”
                    —Mahoney
“I’ll make this one too”
                    —Kobe (after hitting the first, and preceding tomske the second one.)

I didn't hear that. Did you have that audio or did you read their lips? I'd love to hear/see that!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2020, 10:22:07 AM »
I didn't hear that. Did you have that audio or did you read their lips? I'd love to hear/see that!
Both. I just realized I spelled Koby wrong.....twice. Wow.
Jamal and Koby were going back and forth with Mahoney all night.
Mahoney made a FT and stared at Koby for a few seconds as well. Love the intensity.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2020, 10:44:52 AM »

I can't make out exactly what's being said but it's at about the 1:28:30 mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6caKqEz3mQ

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2020, 11:06:05 AM »
I can't make out exactly what's being said but it's at about the 1:28:30 mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6caKqEz3mQ

Thanks. Couldn't quite make it all out, but I like that he showed confidence.

On another note ...

Creighton twice fouled MU players who were maneuvering for an inbound pass before the ball was thrown in-bounds. They were playing with fire. It would have been easy for a ref to interpret either, especially the second one, as intentional and give MU 2 shots and the ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2020, 12:35:05 PM »
Not forgetting anything. Who was perfect for us?

As wonderful as Greg was, he certainly wasn't mistake-free. Neither was anybody else.

DJ was good all game long, hit a huge shot at the end, made lots of big plays during the run where we took the lead for good. Had 20 pts, 5 asst, 5 reb, 2 stls. 5-7 from 3. But yes, he did miss the front end of a 1-and-1, and we all wish he hadn't.
I think Lewis likes Carton missing key free throws. Game winning tip in against UW and he also rebounded Carton's miss last night.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »
Thanks. Couldn't quite make it all out, but I like that he showed confidence.

On another note ...

Creighton twice fouled MU players who were maneuvering for an inbound pass before the ball was thrown in-bounds. They were playing with fire. It would have been easy for a ref to interpret either, especially the second one, as intentional and give MU 2 shots and the ball.

Too busy looking for Greg flops to call those.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2020, 12:47:24 PM »
Too busy looking for Greg flops to call those.

I don't know if they were intentional, but they sure looked "flopish" to me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2020, 01:14:16 PM »

The first for sure was floppish. I think he got tapped on the arm on the second and wanted to sell it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2020, 01:16:38 PM »

This is an example where defunding the officiating is needed. The NCAA makes this a point of emphasis, mostly for the kicking out ploy, and they call these two inconsequential flops of concern but fall for the Creighton one at the end of the game. Greg's first was a non-contact flop and he was hit on the arm on the second. My point: Over-legislated.

Also, I would grade the officiating a D (with UCLA an F). Not so much for the refs but for the Omaha timekeeper. The clock mysteriously malfunctioned in the middle of MU's 2nd half run and again at the end when Creighton was out of time outs. This is a (little) known Creighton ploy, btw.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2020, 01:20:45 PM »
Not so much for the refs but for the Omaha timekeeper. The clock mysteriously malfunctioned in the middle of MU's 2nd half run and again at the end when Creighton was out of time outs. This is a (little) known Creighton ploy, btw.

Do you actually have documentation on this happening a lot? Because that seems like the type of thing the Big East would've warned Creighton for
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2020, 01:25:09 PM »
Do you actually have documentation on this happening a lot? Because that seems like the type of thing the Big East would've warned Creighton for

Just by observation and word of mouth (half joking among CU alums) but look for it. That one at the end was egregious.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2020, 01:27:18 PM »
This is an example where defunding the officiating is needed. The NCAA makes this a point of emphasis, mostly for the kicking out ploy, and they call these two inconsequential flops of concern but fall for the Creighton one at the end of the game. Greg's first was a non-contact flop and he was hit on the arm on the second. My point: Over-legislated.

Also, I would grade the officiating a D (with UCLA an F). Not so much for the refs but for the Omaha timekeeper. The clock mysteriously malfunctioned in the middle of MU's 2nd half run and again at the end when Creighton was out of time outs. This is a (little) known Creighton ploy, btw.

My standards for college basketball referees are so low at this point, that when they give a semi-decent effort (like last night), I am pleasantly surprised.

The reason the NCAA has over-legislated is because their refs are the idiots who keep falling for it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2020, 01:37:00 PM »
I would like to say Greg but DJ did hit that big 3 at the end (partially offset by missed FTs) so reluctantly DJ (since Greg's opportunities are more limited). That said, going to go vote now.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2020, 01:57:29 PM »
This morning the WBBM-FM sports up (105.9)

“Marquette opened its Big East season last night by defeating number #9 Creighton 89 to 84. DJ Carlson led the Golden Eagles with 25 and 5.”
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2020, 02:07:12 PM »

“Marquette opened its Big East season last night by defeating number #9 Creighton 89 to 84. DJ Carlson led the Golden Eagles with 25 and 5.”

Well, they got the teams and score right.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2020, 02:23:23 PM »
As much as I loved Greg's performance tonight, the overall stud was Carton. Koby and Dawson "Double Double" Garcia with the honorable mentions.

This captures my feelings.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2020, 10:37:05 PM »

At least they didn’t call him Justin Fields.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2020, 10:49:29 PM »
Had to go with Carton.  Purely stats wise, could have gone with any of Carton, Elliott, McEwen, Garcia, or Lewis.  I consulted kenpom for his handy "MVP" calculation and it said...Ballock?  WTF.  Anyhow, Elliott probably gets the surprise performance of the game, but Carton for overall game.

I do think Koby deserved more votes, more minutes and same amount of turnovers as D.J.  A couple less points and rebounds, one less assist and steal, but solid game by him overall.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2020, 10:54:35 PM »
Had to go with Carton.  Purely stats wise, could have gone with any of Carton, Elliott, McEwen, Garcia, or Lewis.  I consulted kenpom for his handy "MVP" calculation and it said...Ballock?  WTF.  Anyhow, Elliott probably gets the surprise performance of the game, but Carton for overall game.

I do think Koby deserved more votes, more minutes and same amount of turnovers as D.J.  A couple less points and rebounds, one less assist and steal, but solid game by him overall.

Carton got 2nd half run started and his corner 3 with two minutes was a dagger

feedback