[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojologists, mediocrity, and the marginal case  (Read 8680 times)

1SE

• All American
Wojologists, mediocrity, and the marginal case
« on: December 12, 2020, 02:49:14 AM »
In isolation, last night wasn't a terrible loss. We hung with a solid team, had road refs, and some uncharacteristically cold shooting.

In many ways its hard to put this loss on Wojo. And yet, this was a "marginal case" game that is some emblematic of his tenure. Cronin makes some slight D adjustments, shuts DJ down, Wojo has a half-strength counter "play downhill" and when that doesn't work reverts to his 1000 yard stare. As Brew or Rocky put it in another thread- he left a few bullets in the gun.

I'm not saying we *should* have won this game, but we *could* have won this game, and didn't. And that happens 1 or 2 times more.a year under Wojo than the games we *should* have lost, but didn't.

The net result is a marginal game or two, every year, that *could* have been wins with some slightly better coaching/execution. Usually against a similarly situated high major or conference foe. Add 1 or 2 of those wins to the record every year and Wojos tenure looks remarkably different in terms on NCAA appearances and seeds or conference standings.

Add those wins and Wojos overall grade goes from "C+" to "B" (or C to B- or wherever your grade scale starts)

But the point is he hasn't won those games. Even if there are idiosyncratic reasons why he's lost any given game, he systematically is net "-1 or -2" in toss-up games each season. And there is.no evidence that's going to.change.

I know there's nothing that is going to be done about that any time soon but this level.of mediocrity is just so damn frustrating.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Wojologists, mediocrity, and the marginal case
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 06:26:44 AM »
There's nothing here I can disagree with. There's always a couple where we can look back and say "that cost us a couple seed lines" or "that's why we went to the NIT" and all you can do is shrug.

If the shooting doesn't go cold, if Campbell doesn't smother DJ down the stretch, if the refs are a little more generous, lots of what ifs. This feels emblematic of Wojo. Good enough to compete, not good enough to get the job done, not bad enough to fire.

I still don't get why Lewis didn't go back out. I realize the refs were giving him a short leash, but he still had 7 points & 4 boards (3 offensive) in the 12 minutes he did play. If he could play 3-4 possessions, it might've turned the tide.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 07:02:15 AM »
Good recruiter, runs a clean program.
In-game tactitian? Looks like it's just not gonna happen.

Decent guy, good recruiter, avoids controversy in the program.

In-game tactitian? Looks like it's not gonna happen.
We're like Stealer's Wheel - stuck in the middle.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 10:12:07 AM »
How many years in a row can turnovers be such an issue, you would think the staff would start with making ball security a main bullet point!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 10:29:11 AM »
I wish Wojo would ask DJ to stop dribbling the ball off of his own feet. Maybe we should practice dribbling along with free throws.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 11:26:37 AM »
Agree, we are the bucks of the 2000's fighting for that 8 seed, knowing there's no chance at greatness, if not one thing it's another. The optimist in me sees some potential for this year still, the super optimist sees that there's no one on the roster who's in Givony's top 100 NBA prospects and sees next year as a top 20 team with the underclassman back. The pessimist just sees average guard play and young talented bigs, but still young. Next year you lose 3 starters and need to find high level production from the 2 wing spots, so another long road.

I like a more defensive identity that have this year, but you shouldn't be in year 7 as a coach without an identity.

It's okay though. I understand why they haven't done anything with Wojo and probably won't again this year. It sucks a bit, but they beat Wisconsin.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 11:50:54 AM »
In-game tactitian? Looks like it's just not gonna happen.

Yup and many on this board are very comfortable with complacent mediocrity
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 11:58:13 AM »
How many years in a row can turnovers be such an issue, you would think the staff would start with making ball security a main bullet point!

Like popping balloons in practice every time there is a turnover.  He claims to address/focus on it and yet it has plagued his squads most years of his tenure.  I’m not a Woj fan but I’ve resigned myself to the fact he ain’t going anywhere anytime soon.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 12:01:55 PM »
Like popping balloons in practice every time there is a turnover. 

Did Dominic James get hired as an assistant, hey?

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 12:37:40 PM »
We beat Wisconsin, a game we "could have" won and did.
I was expecting a loss against UCLA. No harm done in my book. 18 TOs will not give many chances for a W.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 12:42:16 PM »
So what do you "expect" Monday?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 12:42:51 PM »
A beat down.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 12:48:35 PM »
Wins against SHU and either X (or whoever the replacement game is) or Nova. Close loss in one of those three games.

Non-competitive loss vs. Creighton. I think we could compete if we slowed it down significantly. I don't think we will do that.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 12:54:18 PM »

This is so tired. We all want to win.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 01:33:52 PM »
Like popping balloons in practice every time there is a turnover.  He claims to address/focus on it and yet it has plagued his squads most years of his tenure.  I’m not a Woj fan but I’ve resigned myself to the fact he ain’t going anywhere anytime soon.

This is interesting. I am not a high level basketball coach. How does Wojo focus on it or address it? I think this might be the key to getting over the proverbial hump.

In soccer we focus on possession and not losing it (like a b-ball turnover). We focus on the basics (tens of thousands of touches, specific touches, specific moves, specific challenges, with purpose), then implement them in training, then in games, then in off time. We give them tools, put them in difficult positions, allow them to make mistakes, and learn several quick solutions for any given challenge. We promote risk taking, we applaud it even if there is a loss of possession, we correct it, we hold them accountable. This has proven to build confidence which leads to better possession.

I know basketball is different, but I wonder if our guys are playing scared or tentative because of Wojo’s “style” whatever that may be. All our players are very good basketball players, some are even excellent. All very good basketball players, all are very good dribblers and passers. So, is it that they are in challenging positions and haven’t been given the three options to quickly consider to get out? Is it because they fear making a mistake? Is it that there is no accountability? Is it so much of a me me me game now that players really don’t know how to play as a team?

I get it, these are high level athletes and we pay our coach a lot of money. They should all just be better. But, that doesn’t mean they still shouldn’t continue to work on the basics, game challenges and solutions, and development. They are not at their peak talent at 18. I’m sure they do, but I see so many times where a challenge is presented and the solution isn’t a good one.

I’ll just hop off the soap box and go back to youth sports now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2020, 01:43:02 PM »
I am not comfortable with what you claim is mediocrity. However, I do realize that in a normal year it is very difficult to win the first true road game. I also realize that every team that misses all of it three point shots in the second half is going to lose to a good team.

I like that Wojo has shifted his emphasis to defense. Defense has been the downfall of Wojo's past teams and he seems to realize this needs to change. Turnovers are frustrating and it is hard to say whether shutting down for two weeks have had some effect on this. I would say the shorten non-conference season has. Normally, we would of played another 4 or more bunny games to get the team ready for the Big East. Of course this applies to all teams, but it effects each team differently. We have only two returning starters, so it is a bigger problem for us than it is for UCLA that has five returning starters.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2020, 02:00:45 PM »
I love the recruiting and the way he runs the program with integrity and has a team that represents the school well. He clearly needs an assistant to help with the in game adjustments necessary to win close games. I think many big time coaches (ie Lou Carnesecca and probably Al McGuire) had help from their assistants with the intricacies of the game

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2020, 02:32:06 PM »

What does this even mean?  Please tell us the correct level of outrage because it’s hard to have to keep guessing.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2020, 03:23:20 PM »

What does this even mean?  Please tell us the correct level of outrage because it’s hard to have to keep guessing.
7 years of mediocrity should be enough to stir your outrage. If not then you are in the complacency club.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2020, 03:37:00 PM »
7 years of mediocrity should be enough to stir your outrage. If not then you are in the complacency club.

I wrote a letter
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2020, 03:41:08 PM »

And what have you done willie?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2020, 04:16:56 PM »
Why are we talking about DePaul?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2020, 04:30:20 PM »
In-game tactitian? Looks like it's just not gonna happen. Spot on

Viper

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2020, 04:32:24 PM »
We beat Wisconsin, a game we "could have" won and did.
I was expecting a loss against UCLA. No harm done in my book. 18 TOs will not give many chances for a W.
...but 18 turnovers is bogus! Rinse, repeat

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2020, 06:04:47 PM »
And what have you done willie?
Easy answer: Watched 7 years of Wojo mediocrity. How about you, Fluffy Blue Monstrosity?