collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf Clubs for teen?  (Read 3621 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Golf Clubs for teen?
« on: December 06, 2020, 10:50:30 AM »
My 14 year old has been golfing .. and growing .. for a few years.  He's interested and tall enough for an adult set of clubs now.   I would imagine he'd use these clubs for 10+ years if not longer.

We've purchased "junior sets" in the past, which have all clubs, putter thru driver.

I haven't bought a set in 25+ years.  Yes, I see you can purchase complete sets .. or just irons, and buy woods separately.   From a quick check, it seems like there aren't many options for sets of irons with woods. 

Am I correct in assuming most purchases are iron sets and a wood set purchase?

Any other club purchase advice from golfers or dads out there?

Note:  He's a lefty, so options, especially used clubs, are far fewer.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Golf Clubs for teen?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 11:10:33 AM »
My 14 year old has been golfing .. and growing .. for a few years.  He's interested and tall enough for an adult set of clubs now.   I would imagine he'd use these clubs for 10+ years if not longer.

We've purchased "junior sets" in the past, which have all clubs, putter thru driver.

I haven't bought a set in 25+ years.  Yes, I see you can purchase complete sets .. or just irons, and buy woods separately.   From a quick check, it seems like there aren't many options for sets of irons with woods. 

Am I correct in assuming most purchases are iron sets and a wood set purchase?

Any other club purchase advice from golfers or dads out there?

Note:  He's a lefty, so options, especially used clubs, are far fewer.

If you think he’s serious and will keep using them, I’d probably look at Callaway or Taylor Made.  They have some affordable “beginner” irons.  Those irons will hold up for a decade plus. 

If you’re uncertain, Wilson makes less expensive beginner sets but despite the reputation, they’ll hold up as well and it won’t ding the pocketbook as much should he give up the game.

For woods, I’d look for used since the technology changes all the time and players are always “upgrading”.  Even being lefty, my hunch is there will be more available than you’d think.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 11:44:54 AM »
Power bilt, wilson, tour edge have cheap sets.   I am lucky to have Maple Hill, a really great family owned pro shop, 20 minutes from my house.  In September, I found my 13 year old a used set of lefty irons.   As a matter of fact, they had two more sets of used lefty irons when I was in there last week.

My son is now 5'5 and is still comfy with his youth driver, fairway wood, hybrid.   A year from now, he and I will probably get him a clearance, two generation old driver from Maple Hill.

https://maplehillgolf.com/left-handed-golf-clubs/

https://maplehillgolf.com/mens-golf-club-sets/?_bc_fsnf=1&Dexterity=Left-Handed

I think  you have mentioned before that your son has an aptitude for the game and has competed in junior tournaments.    If this is the case, you are probably going to want to spend the $$$$$$$$ to actually get him fitted.   
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 12:05:48 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 12:20:21 PM »
I think  you have mentioned before that your son has an aptitude for the game and has competed in junior tournaments.    If this is the case, you are probably going to want to spend the $$$$$$$$ to actually get him fitted.   

He did a couple years of Jr PGA and a few events this year where he typically came in near the bottom of the pack.  He's past "beginner" clubs.

I think the price range is in the $600 range .. although he's likely 2-3 inches from his max height, and I doubt there'll be 'upgrading' until he's in his 30s.   

If he showed some real passion and true talent, I'd pop for expensive clubs.  He'd prefer to be awesome without practice, and I'm raising a quitter like his old man, so I doubt the pro tour is in his future.  #Arbys

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 12:37:03 PM »
Are you looking new or used? You can save some dough through 2nd Swing or other used sites, especially if he's not a diehard.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 02:24:43 PM »
If some stores are still allowing it, go have him hit a bunch of clubs and and see what he likes. There's a handful of discount golf sites that might have better deals than the stores, see if that set is available.

I've had some luck with ebay for woods and wedges as well.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 02:29:52 PM »
Ooh .. https://www.2ndswing.com/ is pretty solid, thanks for the tip.

As for letting him swing some demos .. he's a kid.  He's going to swing the most expensive ones and go, oh yeah dad, that's the one I want. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 02:42:31 PM »
Ooh .. https://www.2ndswing.com/ is pretty solid, thanks for the tip.

As for letting him swing some demos .. he's a kid.  He's going to swing the most expensive ones and go, oh yeah dad, that's the one I want. 

Get him a gift card and make everything above that his responsibility.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 03:28:22 PM »
Second swing is really good, if you want to go brand new though the hot launch line from tour edge is really good.

Actually pretty customizable but very reasonably priced iron sets.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 04:52:30 PM »
What’s his handicap?

I’d look for some solid older lefty blades. It’s Year of the Blade, learning on blades will make him a better player.

For $600 get a solid set of irons and let him fill in the woods when he can.

🏀

• All American

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 08:59:02 PM »
What’s his handicap?

I’d look for some solid older lefty blades. It’s Year of the Blade, learning on blades will make him a better player.

You get this from the Refuge?
But I like to throw handfuls...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 09:25:09 PM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
What’s his handicap?

Never calc'd a handicap for him.  I'd estimate he'd shoot 110 for 18.   His jump from age 13 to 14 was a lot, though, so I'd suspect with real clubs and another year, he'll jump again next year.

My first set were the blades I stole from my dad, built circa 1975.    I bought center weighted clubs in the 90s and .. they were/are far superior.   

I could buy myself new clubs but why bother.  I can ruin a nice walk with my 25 year old clubs just as well as something new and fancy.

.. Same thing happened with skis.  I had these 30 year old stick skis, I'd get jeered in the lift line for being on antiques.  So I dropped good coin on the last skis I'll ever own and .. I notice zero difference.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 12:20:27 AM »

I agree with this. I learned in the 90s on old Titelist blades. I remember switching to solid cavity irons in my teens and going to a lesson and the pro asked why I kept lining my irons up on the hosel. It undoubtedly has made me a better iron player to this day.

I could buy myself new clubs but why bother.  I can ruin a nice walk with my 25 year old clubs just as well as something new and fancy.

.. Same thing happened with skis.  I had these 30 year old stick skis, I'd get jeered in the lift line for being on antiques.  So I dropped good coin on the last skis I'll ever own and .. I notice zero difference.

However I disagree with this. If you’re a high handicap, 100+ a round player, then sure. Who cares. But if you’re at all decent, golf technology is incredible. I just got a new driver. Replacing a 15 year old one. The tee box was never my strong suit so I made due. I leveled up with a new big basher and it was night and day. Clubs are increasingly forgiving and game improving. I can’t wait to get new irons. My soon to be BIL is a pro. I played a round with him, alternating my irons and his. Even with the differences in length and shaft for our respective play, the way I hit, he predicted I’d probably shave 3-4 strokes easy, if not more. And a normal round for me is low 80s

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 07:27:28 AM »
I agree with this.    a 100 shooter getting fit is going to knock 5 strokes off his game just from having the right equipment.   And a sliver of confidence that he has the right equipment.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 10:30:13 AM »
Look on Facebook marketplace. Just got a new seven off there and noticed there's a surprising amount of good sets being sold in good condition.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MARQTTE

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 10:46:56 AM »
I am in nearly the exact same boat as you are.  My son is 14 as well.  Has probably about the same handicap as your son.  My son is righty though so it make it a lot easier.  We are planning on getting him some new clubs for spring for the golf team.  My initial thought on budget is around $500-600 for everything but that might not be enough.  I haven't looked at local places yet for used clubs.  My wife and I bought some used sets 20 years ago at a place on bluemound rd. in brookfield but I don't know if places like that still exist. 

Keep us updated as I'm interested on what you decide.

BTW, we used to be in the same clan on CoC!!  That was a long time ago.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:50:15 AM by MARQTTE »
1993 MU Engineering Grad

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 02:39:26 PM »
From a tip above .. I'm going to buy from https://www.2ndswing.com .. seems like you can get more bang for your buck going used, and they seem to vet the clubs pretty well.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 02:44:44 PM »
From a tip above .. I'm going to buy from https://www.2ndswing.com .. seems like you can get more bang for your buck going used, and they seem to vet the clubs pretty well.
Another website is Callaway preowned. They have all brands. I bought a set a few years ago and they were supposed to be used but showed up brand new. Also great prices.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 04:45:59 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2020, 03:40:28 PM »
We have an older set of Ben Hogans free to a good home

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2020, 04:54:07 PM »
Another website is Callaway preowned. They have all brands. I bought a set a few years ago and they were supposed to be used but showed up brand new. Also great prices.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

I just looked at that site .. They may be really high quality, but their cheapest iron set is $500, and most are higher than $600. 

2nd Swing .. iron sets that are 8/10 rating used .. tons in the $200-350 range.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 06:59:05 PM »
C'mon man, its Xmas. Part wit a few sheckcles for da kid, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 09:39:13 PM »
That reminds me of when I was picking a college.  MU was $10k a year, and Washington University was $17k.  WashU was my #1 pick.

My dad said, "Son, I love you.  But not that much."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2020, 06:00:57 PM »
I agree with this. I learned in the 90s on old Titelist blades. I remember switching to solid cavity irons in my teens and going to a lesson and the pro asked why I kept lining my irons up on the hosel. It undoubtedly has made me a better iron player to this day.

However I disagree with this. If you’re a high handicap, 100+ a round player, then sure. Who cares. But if you’re at all decent, golf technology is incredible. I just got a new driver. Replacing a 15 year old one. The tee box was never my strong suit so I made due. I leveled up with a new big basher and it was night and day. Clubs are increasingly forgiving and game improving. I can’t wait to get new irons. My soon to be BIL is a pro. I played a round with him, alternating my irons and his. Even with the differences in length and shaft for our respective play, the way I hit, he predicted I’d probably shave 3-4 strokes easy, if not more. And a normal round for me is low 80s

correct me if i'm off here wags, but my understanding is that the pros use real blades(less concavity) as they allow them to have their way with the ball.  so, i am not doubting you about hitting his irons decent, but my thoughts would be that anyone less than scratch(pardon me if you are are scratch wags) that one would struggle with a pro's irons and why us mere mortals go for the cobras etc
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback