[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carton vs. Trice, last possession  (Read 7044 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Carton vs. Trice, last possession
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2020, 05:32:56 PM »
I rewatched the end of the game, a few times.

Not enough urgency from DJ going full court with 5 plus seconds. No pass up court, no sprint.  I don't believe he would have gotten a shot off had he not been fouled. To pull up, set, and get the ball off of his fingertips would have taken too long.

His 2nd foul shot barely hit the front rim.

There was no foul during the 2nd FT. Not close actually.

Glad it all worked out. It easily could have been a different board after the game.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2020, 05:42:39 PM »
I rewatched the end of the game, a few times.

Not enough urgency from DJ going full court with 5 plus seconds. No pass up court, no sprint.  I don't believe he would have gotten a shot off had he not been fouled. To pull up, set, and get the ball off of his fingertips would have taken too long.

There was no foul during the 2nd FT. Not close actually.

Glad it all worked out. It easily could have been a different board after the game.
That block aint called and this board is utter chaos rn

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2020, 06:35:07 PM »
That block aint called and this board is utter chaos rn

Honestly I was very impressed the way they played. I would not have been critical had that turned out differently.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2020, 06:44:22 PM »
yeah but u know how people o here are

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2020, 06:45:53 PM »
Which, as luck would have it, was exactly the sort of bounce Lewis needed to make that tip.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2020, 07:18:19 PM »
Wait.

You've made tons of comments/analysis about the game last night. But you missed the last 5 seconds?

I am a medium...

Just kidding, I was being sarcastic and wanted to watch the replay, hoped someone would post it.

After the dust settled I thought to myself that it seemed like DJ Carton “drew the pk.” Anyone with soccer background will know what I mean, many call it “diving” in the box to draw a penalty.

As many have noted he was extremely nonchalant about it, which I actually see as a positive and not negative attribute in the instance, and I wonder if he thought to himself that he’s going to drive to draw contact and get the call. Probably not, but it’s actually a very heads up albeit brazen move. Trice definitely obliged if he was hoping for contact.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2020, 07:40:31 PM »

Just kidding, I was being sarcastic and wanted to watch the replay, hoped someone would post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJwts2643q0

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2020, 07:57:10 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJwts2643q0

When Trice took that shot, I didn’t think it was going to go in. Good defense, but Trice came up clutch there.

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2020, 09:32:22 PM »
Trice admitted he did not play it well, was trying to turn Carton off his left hand and clearly committing a blocking foul. I thought it wise not to call a timeout and allow Canton to drive though admit it would have been a tough make.

DJ is the best PG Wojo has had. I've expected him to look better in the first 4 games (inconsistent shot, lazy with the ball) but for us to win he needs to play 30+ minutes and have the ball in his hands. Seen nothing from Symir yet to indicate he's more than a 10 minute backup and no reason to ever have the ball in Koby's hands, though his stroke looks better!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2020, 10:07:36 PM »
I do not think coaches should ever call timeout for an end of game play. I think it gives more advantage to defense. Coaches should practice a final play in practice, so the team knows what to do in a situation that is going to occur during the season.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2020, 08:00:59 AM »
Trice admitted he did not play it well, was trying to turn Carton off his left hand and clearly committing a blocking foul. I thought it wise not to call a timeout and allow Canton to drive though admit it would have been a tough make.
+1. However, I have much less angst about Koby this year than last.
It seems Sy is just trying to not make a mistake. He doesn’t seem comfortable out there at all. Agreed, 10 minutes of backup is fine.

DJ is the best PG Wojo has had. I've expected him to look better in the first 4 games (inconsistent shot, lazy with the ball) but for us to win he needs to play 30+ minutes and have the ball in his hands. Seen nothing from Symir yet to indicate he's more than a 10 minute backup and no reason to ever have the ball in Koby's hands, though his stroke looks better!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2020, 08:06:31 AM »

IMHO in CBK there is no real point in calling a timeout in that situation, NBA yes because you get the ball in your court, in CBK you're just helping the opponent setup the D. We have a good PG, I'm sure end of games situations are talked about and practiced. Remember DJ last played / practice (with a team) since January before arriving at MU, I have already noticed a lot of improvement since first game.
Goal is National Championship

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2020, 08:23:40 AM »
I do not think coaches should ever call timeout for an end of game play. I think it gives more advantage to defense. Coaches should practice a final play in practice, so the team knows what to do in a situation that is going to occur during the season.

There are probably times they need to but I generally agree with this.  Get the defense on their heels as quick as possible and attack
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2020, 08:40:10 AM »
IMHO in CBK there is no real point in calling a timeout in that situation, NBA yes because you get the ball in your court, in CBK you're just helping the opponent setup the D. We have a good PG, I'm sure end of games situations are talked about and practiced. Remember DJ last played / practice (with a team) since January before arriving at MU, I have already noticed a lot of improvement since first game.

Agree completely. I feel the offensive timeout in that situation usually gives the defense the advantage.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2020, 09:25:38 AM »

Trice also said he was trying to draw a charge, which is somewhat shocking and an unnecessarily risky play. Oh well, glad it worked out for MU.

Completely agree on not calling a TO on that last play, particularly the way our half court offense has looked, including a shot clock violation on our first possession of the game. Put the D on their heels and go.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2020, 10:37:48 PM »
a shot clock violation on our first possession of the game.

Sources say there might have been a loud F-bomb heard on my block after that.

Musta been my neighbor.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback