[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: In defense of Wojo  (Read 13849 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: In defense of Wojo
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2020, 10:10:46 AM »
Please continue to play dumb. I don’t have anything against yoga or biking. Knock yourself out. What I’m saying is Wojo sure as sh*t ain’t the gym rat his reputation suggests. He’s far from it. He’s basically a candy-as5, who is more comfortable in a country club than a locker room. He can’t relate to these kids in any way, shape or form. And not only can he not relate or connect, it is apparent to me he doesn’t even try.

Yeah I don't think this is the case at all.  You were driving ball well for awhile there, but trying to hit this Par 5 in two was a little too much for you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2020, 10:13:17 AM »
With the talent on the roster, this team should be a top 25 team. Just based on that alone. If properly coached with a good offensive scheme, even better than top 20.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2020, 10:14:07 AM »
With the talent on the roster, this team should be a top 25 team. Just based on that alone. If properly coached with a good offensive scheme, even better than top 20.

+1
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »

Methinks we overrate the talent on this team.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2020, 10:42:10 AM »
Was the “noise” press conference the same one where Wojo talked about people getting out their pitchforks?  I feel like it wasn’t.  Press conferences and interviews are really not his thing.

Also, him saying he was “completely surprised” by the Hausers’ departure was a bold-faced lie.
I think he was expecting the Hausers to stay and Howard to go pro. So he was surprised when Howard pulled his name out of the draft and the Hausers did not give Wojo a chance to talked to them about it.

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2020, 10:42:16 AM »

Yeah I am not sure about that. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2020, 10:48:16 AM »
This is where I disagree. I think we overrate MU's talent level. Tonight you will see the Badgers are better at all five positions. Now, when I think of talent I include the experience factor. Experience matters a lot. If it did not matter, Kentucky and Duke would of won the last 10 national championships.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »
This is where I disagree. I think we overrate MU's talent level. Tonight you will see the Badgers are better at all five positions. Now, when I think of talent I include the experience factor. Experience matters a lot. If it did not matter, Kentucky and Duke would of won the last 10 national championships.

I can see where this can be a thought process. However, either the recruits are being way overrated, or when they get to college they are just too overwhelmed to compete. I think it could be a mix of both, because how else can we explain highly touted recruits looking like deer in the headlights, year after year?

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2020, 11:00:45 AM »
I can see where this can be a thought process. However, either the recruits are being way overrated, or when they get to college they are just too overwhelmed to compete. I think it could be a mix of both, because how else can we explain highly touted recruits looking like deer in the headlights, year after year?

Like who? 

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2020, 11:03:08 AM »
Tonight you will see the Badgers are better at all five positions.
Dawson Garcia is better than anyone the Badgers have and definitely better than Nate Reuvers.  If you put Garcia and Reuvers on the same team with the same coach, Reuvers becomes a 6th man.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2020, 11:09:15 AM »
Dawson Garcia is better than anyone the Badgers have and definitely better than Nate Reuvers.  If you put Garcia and Reuvers on the same team with the same coach, Reuvers becomes a 6th man.
We can talk about this after tonight's game.

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2020, 11:17:44 AM »

Uh.... Reuvers was pre season All Big Ten.  Statements like this make you look like a loon.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2020, 11:17:59 AM »

I think Garcia will ultimately be the better player and have a superior pro career.  Reuvers will have the better game tonight.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2020, 11:43:18 AM »

Uh.... Reuvers was pre season All Big Ten.  Statements like this make you look like a loon.
Let's see how Garcia plays against Reuvers tonight and re-visit.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2020, 11:47:44 AM »

In retrospect, his career at MU peaked on February 25, 2019.  On that day, they were newly ranked #10 in the country, having beat Providence on the road handily.  Two days later, they lost a tough game on the road at Nova.  Hardly an bad loss.  But what followed was just one more win, v. St. John's in the BET, in a season that had so much promise.  In mid April, the Hausers announced they were leaving.

So in 7-8 weeks, he went from #10 in the country to everything crumbling.

Immediately after that game I booked two flights to NYC for the Saturday night of the BET for my then 10 year & I.  It is why I cannot talk / think rationally about the Seton Hall semi's loss.  I was planning on 24 hours in New York including MSG with my son watching MU play for the Big East title.  I can't dream a better dream.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2020, 11:58:44 AM »
Please continue to play dumb. I don’t have anything against yoga or biking. Knock yourself out. What I’m saying is Wojo sure as sh*t ain’t the gym rat his reputation suggests. He’s far from it. He’s basically a candy-as5, who is more comfortable in a country club than a locker room. He can’t relate to these kids in any way, shape or form. And not only can he not relate or connect, it is apparent to me he doesn’t even try.

Yeah, if you actually talk to the players on the roster, you would know that none of this is true.

Look there are plenty of reasons to knock Wojo. You don't need to make $hit up.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2020, 12:08:21 PM »
Yeah, if you actually talk to the players on the roster, you would know that none of this is true.

Look there are plenty of reasons to knock Wojo. You don't need to make $hit up.

What were Harry Froling’s feelings on the subject?  Or the Hausers, hey?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2020, 12:10:43 PM »

That's sort of a gotcha thing. Do we consider buzz good at relating to players? What about all his transfers? Crean's? There's plenty of reasons transfers leave.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2020, 12:33:52 PM »
That's sort of a gotcha thing. Do we consider buzz good at relating to players? What about all his transfers? Crean's? There's plenty of reasons transfers leave.

Jimmy Butler swears by Buzz, I’m sure Steve Taylor feels different.  Ditto for Crean and D-Wade as opposed to Wes Matthews.  Ask a player on any current roster for any team, and you’re not gonna find too many guys who’ll go on the record saying bad things about their coach.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2020, 01:28:30 PM »

It doesn't matter. PRN is claiming he can't relate to players in any way.  I'm not claiming Wojo can relate to every player ever. He does relate very well to most of the players he's recruited
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2020, 02:04:44 PM »
Also, him saying he was “completely surprised” by the Hausers’ departure was a bold-faced lie.

Let's just say he did a horrible job reading the room.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2020, 02:05:56 PM »
Silent Verbal

Well stated posts on the topic. There is nothing quite like the excitement of a big MU game and I have enjoyed it for decades as well. Sadly, while I come from a very large family of MU grads (over 20 grads between my family and my wife's), the program has lost it's luster to almost all of them. Season tickets not renewed, attending less and less games and a general blah attitude towards the program. Five years ago I could have called 10+ family members/friends after a big game and chalk talked the game and I loved it. Today I have one brother in law (a lurker on here) that really cares and probably the only family member that cares at the moment.

MU can do whatever they want and wish them well, but I think they have taken a very loyal fan base for granted for a long time and I hope it does not bite them in the ass. MU has enough problems at the moment and losing the segment of the fan base is not something they can afford to have happen.
It has already bit MU oin the ass, Goose.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2020, 02:06:42 PM »
Let's just say he did a horrible job reading the room., Mom.  FIFY

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2020, 03:42:14 PM »
The parents get a lot of blame but their kids ended up farther away, at different schools and at programs where the team is emphasized far more than the individual.  It wasn't like some power play to get them to Madison or go chuck shots at Iowa State or Nebraska.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2020, 03:47:38 PM »
Let's say we are not "ok with this."

What do you suggest we do?

Fire him and start over. It sucks, I know, but he isn't cutting it now, and won't cut in the near future (5 - 10 years). Marquette Basketball would be obsolete by that point. Even starring down another 4-5 year rebuild, I still believe a new coach is our best path forward.

feedback