collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Will you still go to a movie theatre after COVID?  (Read 4860 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Will you still go to a movie theatre after COVID?
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2020, 03:11:41 PM »
When my wife and I saw 'Knives Out' in a theater last year, we stopped and pondered how long it had been since we had seen a movie in a theater that wasn't part of a franchise.    Quite a while.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2020, 04:16:22 PM »
I believe Chevy appeared in only 3-4 episodes of the second season before bolting ... kind of like a college athlete leaving in the middle of his or her sophomore season.

He was replaced by Bill Murray, who was a genius in his own way. The two did not like each other for quite some time IIRC.

Oh, and yes, I absolutely would go to the movies again if it became safe to do so.

You recall correctly. It was apparently a combination of Chase's quick rise to fame and arrogant attitude, rampant drug use on the SNL set, and other factors. They buried the hatchet long enough to co-star in Caddyshack.

https://www.biography.com/news/chevy-chase-bill-murray-feud

Even though Chase was clearly the first star of SNL and had lots of big late 70s and early 80s hits, IMO Murray eventually surpassed him in sometime in the late 80s or early 90s with hits like Ghostbusters, Scrooged, What About Bob? and Groundhog Day.

And Stripes remains the best movies ever for one liners, some of which are still in use today.

*"Lighten up, Francis."
*"No we're not homosexual, but we're willing to learn."
*"It's like going into Wisconsin!" "Well I got the sh!t kicked out of me in Wisconsin once."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 05:59:55 PM »
When my wife and I saw 'Knives Out' in a theater last year, we stopped and pondered how long it had been since we had seen a movie in a theater that wasn't part of a franchise.    Quite a while.

That's the main reason I quit going to theaters. I had no interest in franchises or superheroes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2020, 06:19:27 PM »

Knives Out was a lot of fun. Loved Daniel Craig and Ana de Armas.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2020, 06:36:38 PM »

They buried the hatchet long enough to co-star in Caddyshack.

Although in the original script, they had no scenes together.  Later, they filmed the the scene where Chevy hits a ball into Bills "apartment", and is offered some weed, "a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia". 

Most of the dialogue was improvised.
Have some patience, FFS.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2020, 06:42:49 PM »
I need to watch Caddyshack and Groundhog Day again - haven't seen those in awhile.

I hardly ever went to the theater pre-Covid so I won't be rushing to one any time soon.  I saw Frozen 2 twice in the theaters in 2019 and the Illumination version of the Grinch the year before with free tickets from work and I think that's about it in the last 5 years or so.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2020, 07:53:24 PM »
We rented one for tonight to watch Christmas Vacation (it's my wife's birthday or I'd NEVER do this on game night) and it was only $100. AMC is offering some new releases for $200. Shockingly cheap IMO - I don't think I'd feel comfortable with the 20 person max but the four naginiF's and another family for sure.

Assuming their hygiene procedures are as advertised I can easily see going a few times over winter break. If it doesn't seem up to our cleanliness standards (and we're on the paranoid side) we'll leave pre show and watch the movie at home tonight.
100% worth it and we'll be doing this again. Granted, it was a Tuesday night so there would be less traffic than a weekend, but there were very few guests outside the theaters, all common areas were well cordoned off, all interactions were contactless (pre ordered popcorn), ample amounts of wipes for the seats.

It was a great change of pace during lockdown - highly recommend.

Also recommend Logan Lucky. Daniel Craig plays a southerner and is equally fantastic as is Adam Driver

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2020, 09:50:00 PM »
Also recommend Logan Lucky. Daniel Craig plays a southerner and is equally fantastic as is Adam Driver

Thanks, I'll check it out.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2020, 05:24:54 AM »

I recommend both movies too.  Steven Soderburgh, director of the Ocean's 11 movies came out of retirement to direct.  And it's setup for a sequel.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2020, 11:07:04 AM »
I need to watch Caddyshack and Groundhog Day again - haven't seen those in awhile.

I hardly ever went to the theater pre-Covid so I won't be rushing to one any time soon.  I saw Frozen 2 twice in the theaters in 2019 and the Illumination version of the Grinch the year before with free tickets from work and I think that's about it in the last 5 years or so.

Even with free tickets you spent too much to see the Illumination Grinch
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2020, 06:07:40 PM »

Definitely one of the more fun movies I'd seen in a long time!
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”