[Today at 10:45:04 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 20-21 Expectations  (Read 6483 times)

tower912

• All American
20-21 Expectations
« on: November 19, 2020, 01:53:30 PM »
PROS:   I think this is going to be an athletic team. 
This is going to be the first time that MU has had nothing but big guards and adequate size at all 5 positions under Wojo.
The talent and depth at guard is truly awesome.   
Could have the first real sleeper breakout since JFB in Akanno.
Long, skilled, versatile forwards.
DJ Carton is the most complete point guard at MU since.... wow...  Travis?  Dominic?   Seriously, a do-everything PG with size who plays both ends.
I never wonder where the scoring is going to come from in Wojo's offense.    I am not worried about replacing the nearly 50 ppg that either graduated or left.    The offense and the points will easily sort itself out.   

CONS:   Losing two weeks of practice is not going to help all of the new pieces figure out how to play defense.   Wojo's defenses have been as consistent as his defenses, and not in a good way.    Hopefully size can offset lack of reps.
No obvious back up 5.
Dexter still hasn't returned from COVID.  Nor should he.   His health is the most important thing.    But, if it wasn't just hype, his absence will be felt. 
So many new players and new roles and so little time to integrate.   Seriously, 50% of the team did not see the floor for MU last year.
I hate having to count on freshman.    But this team can't wait. 

My conclusion:    There is potential for this to be a good team.   But practice delays and absences due to COVID are going to hurt.   I think this is going to be a year of seeing some really good play.     Games where MU looks like a team to be reckoned with for 35 minutes of play.   But with 5 minutes of play with the wrong rotations out there due to injuries, absences, and fouls that is going to wreck the game and cost us from winning more.       

Team Bubble watch, building for the future.    And, due to mitigating circumstances, Wojo retaining his job.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: 20-21 Expectations
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 02:25:28 PM »
Sounds about right.  Cautiously optimistic we make the tournament.

panda

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »
I’m looking for continued improvement throughout the season. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect consistent results from this young of a team missing two weeks of early practice, but it is reasonable to expect consistency, cohesiveness and team/individual growth throughout the season. Something we haven’t necessarily seen the last couple of years.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 02:36:00 PM »
I can make a case for this team to be 2nd in the league or 9th. I've no idea what to expect, and most of the rest of the Big East being in a similar state of flux makes it hard to figure anyone else out too.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 02:39:46 PM »
I'll just be happy if the team plays 20 games.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 03:17:14 PM »
I expect this team to be the inverse of the past two seasons in that we lose some games we shouldn't at the beginning of the season and win some games we shouldn't at the end of the season. Honestly, seeing a team that is playing its best basketball at the end of the season may be more important to my evaluation of Wojo than making the tournament.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 03:30:39 PM »
Since this team doesn't have an adequate coach in any facet of the game, it's going to have to rely on its sheer talent alone.  In other words, it will get blown out at home when it shouldn't and lose a few on the road it should win.  It will be like DePaul last year:  a pain to play at times, but a team that buries itself with mistakes. 

Turnovers, inefficient basketball, lapses on defense, etc with occasional glimpses of high level offensive sequences.   

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 03:52:09 PM »
Young talent is there, how they play together will be the telling sign. I believe Wojo had his best recruiting year, add Akenno and you have a strong group. Let’s see how he coached them up. At least it will fun, good group

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 03:53:07 PM »
I'll just be happy if the team plays 20 games.

Me too. I just want to see how they play. With games being cancelled as we speak who knows how teams will be selected for the tournament.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »
Me too. I just want to see how they play. With games being cancelled as we speak who knows how teams will be selected for the tournament.

What I heard most recently is the minimum will be 13 games for consideration, but the NCAA may grant waivers (no way a 9-3 Duke will be left out) for teams that don't reach the minimum. There will be one additional at-large bid because the Ivy is not sending a representative this year.

It'll be difficult to see how they reconcile teams that played vastly disparate schedules. I don't look forward to making bracket projections this year.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 05:08:04 PM »
What I heard most recently is the minimum will be 13 games for consideration, but the NCAA may grant waivers (no way a 9-3 Duke will be left out) for teams that don't reach the minimum. There will be one additional at-large bid because the Ivy is not sending a representative this year.

It'll be difficult to see how they reconcile teams that played vastly disparate schedules. I don't look forward to making bracket projections this year.
I find it hard to believe that MU will play 13 games this season.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 05:09:07 PM »

I don't. I think the Big East is going to go into a bubble to insure all their teams get enough games to be eligible if there's any doubt.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »

Once the students go home for thanksgiving, they will get in a ton of games just in December while in a semi-bubble.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:39:17 PM by Shooter McGavin »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 07:10:58 PM »
Once the students go home for thanksgiving, they will get in a ton of games just in December while in a sem-bubble.
You are assuming that our team or our opponents team will not be in a 14 day quarantine. I hope the games will be played. I am not optimistic about there being no major bumps in the road.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 07:50:06 PM »
I predict frustration.  ESPN and FOX have upgraded their VPN blocking so watching games is going to be a real challenge.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 08:11:54 PM »
I predict frustration.  ESPN and FOX have upgraded their VPN blocking so watching games is going to be a real challenge.
wats this mean?

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 04:44:12 AM »
wats this mean?
Problem for those of us outside the USofA.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2020, 05:54:02 AM »
Well, if Covid-19 acts like other viruses, expect a surge with colder weather and people congregating indoors in more proximity to each other. There are already multiple instances of young people causing little spikes because of flaunting precautions. As we all know, you can get in trouble having a good time without taking precautions. If enough teams are lucky enough to avoid infections and the attendant shutdowns, we might be able to enjoy a season of sorts. Normality? Not this year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 07:37:59 AM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 07:56:11 AM »
I can make a case for this team to be 2nd in the league or 9th. I've no idea what to expect, and most of the rest of the Big East being in a similar state of flux makes it hard to figure anyone else out too.
I have a similar view point. All going to come down to who does the best job of coaching over the long 20 game conference season.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2020, 07:56:48 AM »

Everyone said that same thing about baseball when it was announced they were going to play.  28 of the 30 teams played all 60 games.

Basketball and Hockey had success with the bubble.

Pro Football has had excellent results and College football has lost many games for sure, but most teams are on track to play their full allotment of games.

I see no reason college basketball doesn't have the same results.  And they will have the advantage of having no kids on campus come Wednesday, thus giving it a mini-bubble.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2020, 08:21:42 AM »
Everyone said that same thing about baseball when it was announced they were going to play.  28 of the 30 teams played all 60 games.

Pro Football has had excellent results and College football has lost many games for sure, but most teams are on track to play their full allotment of games.

I see no reason college basketball doesn't have the same results.  And they will have the advantage of having no kids on campus come Wednesday, thus giving it a mini-bubble.

The issue here is pro vs college. Things in college have been much stricter. If we don't get bubble plans going fast this season is screwed.

Scott Drew tested positive for Baylor. No players have tested postive since with multiple tests. Arizona State still bailed on playing them.

This isn't going to work if a bubble plan doesn't come quickly.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2020, 08:30:36 AM »

Positives:  Students will be off-campus for a bulk of their season.

Negatives:  One positive likely shuts down the whole team.  Football can break down their large teams into groupings that prevents this.  Also the lack of a central governing body that can regulate this stuff is an issue.

Really we don't know until we see what happens.  The NFL had issues but has learned and adjusted.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »
The issue here is pro vs college. Things in college have been much stricter. If we don't get bubble plans going fast this season is screwed.

Scott Drew tested positive for Baylor. No players have tested postive since with multiple tests. Arizona State still bailed on playing them.

This isn't going to work if a bubble plan doesn't come quickly.

And ASU's decision is 100% NOT about concern over health.  It's about concern over an infection that can shut their team down for two weeks.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2020, 09:18:48 AM »
I think we will be fun to watch most games but we obviously will have some growing pains.

I look forward to the season, especially seeing if DJ and Dawson can live up to the hype, seeing what Greg can do if healthy, seeing what Jamal can do if given more consistent PT, seeing if Theo can stay out of foul trouble, and seeing how much we get from Lewis, Oso, Jose and/or Dex.

Also interested to see if Wojo can improve as a coach.

Mostly, here's hoping that all of our players, coaches and support staff stay healthy.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson