Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

What will Markus achieve in the NBA?

He'll never see a minute of PT
21 (7.6%)
He'll get a cup of coffee, see some junk minutes this year, and move on
110 (40%)
He'll be on a roster most years, but stuck on the end of the bench.
85 (30.9%)
He'll become a solid role player with an extended career
56 (20.4%)
Dwyane who? Markus is the GOAT.
3 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 275

Author Topic: Markus' NBA success  (Read 56683 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Markus' NBA success
« Reply #250 on: June 25, 2021, 03:47:20 PM »
This is an excellent end of season review from Markus by his ultimate boss. Looks like he will be on the team for multiple years .

It really helps  MU on the recruiting front to have another guy in the Association .

Agreed it will help recruiting. Goes to show that if you stick with Wojo for 4 years you'll likely end up in with All-Conference honors and in the NBA.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #251 on: July 30, 2021, 05:49:51 AM »
Another nice write-up of what Markus has been up to over the summer.

https://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/howard-ready-year2-20210728
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #252 on: July 30, 2021, 09:53:50 AM »
Another nice write-up of what Markus has been up to over the summer.

https://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/howard-ready-year2-20210728

Thanks, for this.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

1SE

• All American
« Reply #253 on: November 25, 2021, 04:02:12 AM »
Markus seeing a bit of action in the past few days and is finally on the scoreboard for the season. That said, numbers are rough: 2-11 on threes, 3-17 overall shooting. It's a limited sample but tough to get more minutes based on that performance.

I wonder if Markus' time with the Nuggets (and the league) is coming to an end?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #254 on: November 25, 2021, 06:52:12 AM »
Markus seeing a bit of action in the past few days and is finally on the scoreboard for the season. That said, numbers are rough: 2-11 on threes, 3-17 overall shooting. It's a limited sample but tough to get more minutes based on that performance.

PJ Dozier just tore his ACL, so probably not.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #255 on: November 25, 2021, 08:18:22 AM »

Mike Malone likes him and knows what he can do.  He’s exploded for points numerous times last year and did so again in the preseason.  Coming in cold for small minutes and being out of rhythm/not scoring as a result isn’t the best indicator and is an anamoly

MU82

• All American
« Reply #256 on: November 25, 2021, 08:29:08 AM »
Mike Malone likes him and knows what he can do.  He’s exploded for points numerous times last year and did so again in the preseason.  Coming in cold for small minutes and being out of rhythm/not scoring as a result isn’t the best indicator and is an anamoly

This.

It's not that Markus is playing only sporadic minutes because of his stats. It's that his stats are suffering because he's playing only sporadic minutes.

Dozier just got hurt. Markus probably will play a little more. If he hits a couple 3s, he'll play more.

He's a little guy who can make his mark by hitting 3s, by hustling, by drawing charges, etc. And Malone likes his character and intelligence. Pretty sure he's always gonna be an end-of-bench type guy in the NBA, but that's OK. There are worse ways to make a living!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #257 on: November 25, 2021, 08:33:30 AM »
Teams aren’t giving up on players due to a cold streak over a few games.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #258 on: November 25, 2021, 10:47:29 AM »
This.

It's not that Markus is playing only sporadic minutes because of his stats. It's that his stats are suffering because he's playing only sporadic minutes.

Dozier just got hurt. Markus probably will play a little more. If he hits a couple 3s, he'll play more.

He's a little guy who can make his mark by hitting 3s, by hustling, by drawing charges, etc. And Malone likes his character and intelligence. Pretty sure he's always gonna be an end-of-bench type guy in the NBA, but that's OK. There are worse ways to make a living!

I agree, and have long held that it's REALLY hard to assess a TALENTED player's value if they only get 2-4 minute stints of action, in which if they don't produce/have a turnover, it's bench city.   8-)

Markus's challenge in the NBA will be if he can hold his own on D and not get abused on that end.  Markus can score effectively at the NBA level if he can play 30 minutes a night.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #259 on: November 25, 2021, 11:30:46 AM »
I agree, and have long held that it's REALLY hard to assess a TALENTED player's value if they only get 2-4 minute stints of action, in which if they don't produce/have a turnover, it's bench city.   8-)

Markus's challenge in the NBA will be if he can hold his own on D and not get abused on that end.  Markus can score effectively at the NBA level if he can play 30 minutes a night.
I have a very hard time imagining that MH will ever play 30 minutes a night.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #260 on: November 25, 2021, 12:24:34 PM »
I have a very hard time imagining that MH will ever play 30 minutes a night.

I agree.  Was saying that his offensive game could support 30 minutes per night, but that he'd get abused on the other end of the court to where it won't happen (30 minute per night player)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #261 on: November 25, 2021, 01:19:37 PM »

Malone uses Howard just about right.

I can't imagine many if any coaches in the NBA giving Markus more of a run.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2021, 10:38:53 PM »
8pts, in 5 mins tonight, 3-3.  if you prorate that to 48 mins he gets like 72?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #263 on: November 27, 2021, 07:54:26 AM »
8pts, in 5 mins tonight, 3-3.  if you prorate that to 48 mins he gets like 72?

That performance is why the worries about him getting dropped cause of a cold stretch are silly.  Again, he’s shown many times that he can score effectively in bunches, including in the playoffs.  When he’s getting limited run, it can be deceiving.  But if he goes 1/4, 1/5, 0/2, and 3/3 in couple minutes over 4 games.  It looks like 3 bad games and a great one.  But in reality it’s just the natural streakiness of a scoring guard stretched out

MU82

• All American
« Reply #264 on: November 27, 2021, 09:19:45 AM »
Very happy for Markus, as I am of all of our former Marquette guys who are now in the NBA, Europe and other pro leagues.

Markus worked extraordinarily hard for our alma mater's basketball team, led us to 3 NCAAT appearances in 4 years, and was (and continues to be) a great representative of our university. I hope he sticks around the NBA for many years, and I believe that singular much-in-demand skill he possesses will let him make money playing basketball for a long time.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #265 on: November 27, 2021, 09:27:54 AM »
Very happy for Markus, as I am of all of our former Marquette guys who are now in the NBA, Europe and other pro leagues.

Markus worked extraordinarily hard for our alma mater's basketball team, led us to 3 NCAAT appearances in 4 years, and was (and continues to be) a great representative of our university. I hope he sticks around the NBA for many years, and I believe that singular much-in-demand skill he possesses will let him make money playing basketball for a long time.

Seconded !
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

feedback