[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Poll: What are your plans for Thanksgiving during COVID?

My family is staying home.  We will not see anyone outside our home.
We have reduced our gathering size, but will physically meet others outside our usual circle.
We'll hold Thanksgiving like we did in 2019, with most attending

Author Topic: Thanksgiving 2020  (Read 9867 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Thanksgiving 2020
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2020, 06:45:37 PM »
From McClatchey News ...

Canada’s Thanksgiving experience could be a lesson for Americans about the dangers of small, household gatherings.

Cases surged in the two weeks that followed Canada’s Thanksgiving on Oct. 12, and experts say the trend has continued and is likely to affect Christmas celebrations next month.

In the United States, Dr. James Phillips, chief of disaster medicine at George Washington University Hospital, told CNN that he is “terrified” about the upcoming holiday season.

“We’re going to see an unprecedented surge of cases following Thanksgiving this year, and if people don’t learn from Thanksgiving, we’re going to see it after Christmas as well,” Phillips said.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2020, 06:58:53 AM »
An East Coast grocery chain has apologized after running a Thanksgiving advertisement encouraging hosts to “plan a super spread.”

The ad for Giant Food was printed in the December issue of Savory, the chain’s magazine, “Today” reported.

It read, “Hosting? Plan a super spread” in large letters followed by “it’s easy with our entertaining offerings."

Cases are surging as the holidays approach, and experts are encouraging people to keep gatherings small and safe.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2020, 08:21:22 AM »
We just decided to have thanksgiving in our respective households (the local crew).  We will connect with everyone over video. It’s one dinner, one year. 

We also decided to do a quarantine in advance of Christmas and spend some meaningful time together as a broader family. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2020, 09:21:51 AM »
We just decided to have thanksgiving in our respective households (the local crew).  We will connect with everyone over video. It’s one dinner, one year. 

We also decided to do a quarantine in advance of Christmas and spend some meaningful time together as a broader family. 

We are doing the same for Christmas.  Everyone must commit to a two week quarantine prior and to not show up if they are feeling bad.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2020, 10:11:17 AM »

We are doing the same for Christmas.  Everyone must commit to a two week quarantine prior and to not show up if they are feeling bad.

Really wish my family could do this. Unfortunately, multiple members work in healthcare. Thanksgiving and Christmas are gonna be quiet this year.

But at least we're receiving increased compensation from the hazard pay...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »
Doing all the cooking.   Wife is still in quarantine.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2020, 10:43:01 AM »

Curious: how is your family definining "quarantine"?  We have been discussing similar, but some family with kids can't truly isolate unless they pull kids from school and don't let them leave the house (neighborhood kids who don't respect boundaries).  Does your quarantine include stocking up on groceries, etc. for two weeks?  When me sister tested positive, she was instructed to isolate herself (meaning lock herself in a room away from family) and quarantine her family - which whomever she was talking with defined as not going to work or school but that it was OK to still leave home for food or other errands so long as masked.  I was surprised she wasn't given a firmer message that no one should leave home unless there is a really really strong need.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »
Curious: how is your family definining "quarantine"?  We have been discussing similar, but some family with kids can't truly isolate unless they pull kids from school and don't let them leave the house (neighborhood kids who don't respect boundaries).  Does your quarantine include stocking up on groceries, etc. for two weeks?  When me sister tested positive, she was instructed to isolate herself (meaning lock herself in a room away from family) and quarantine her family - which whomever she was talking with defined as not going to work or school but that it was OK to still leave home for food or other errands so long as masked.  I was surprised she wasn't given a firmer message that no one should leave home unless there is a really really strong need.

People can go shopping, get take out, etc.  But everyone is working from home and I have no grandkids to worry about.  Even people who are travelling from a fair distance are driving and not flying this year.  (And can do this without spending the night somewhere.)

People who are asymptomatic and quarantining due to a close contact can still go food shopping, get prescriptions, etc.  If you have symptoms, or test positive, you must isolate which means doing none of the above.  So I think that's the advice your sister is following right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2020, 10:53:28 AM »
I don’t know, I’m not an expert,  that doesn’t sound like quarantining to me, especially the shopping part, as you don’t say how often you go. . That is pretty much my everyday life lol.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »
Well those are the ground rules we all agreed to.

From what I understand, if you are in official quarantine you may shop for essentials like food and medication.  So yeah I mixed up a couple of concepts there so I apologize.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2020, 12:21:03 PM »

So I think that's the advice your sister is following right?

Roughly, yes.  While I don't take any umbrage with flexibilities for essentials, I was surprised there wasn't a stronger message.  She described the advise from the health department* as "no school, no work, no parties, but otherwise those you live with can carry on as normal unless they start to feel sick".

*not sure exactly who called her with these guidelines but that's the word she used

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2020, 01:17:24 PM »
*not sure exactly who called her with these guidelines but that's the word she used

I think that's the problem with a leadership vacuum in our country. There is a lot of conflicting advice right now. I think it's hard for a lot of people to determine what a trustworthy source is, because it's so much easier to hear what you hope to hear.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2020, 01:21:18 PM »

Well those are the ground rules we all agreed to.

From what I understand, if you are in official quarantine you may shop for essentials like food and medication.  So yeah I mixed up a couple of concepts there so I apologize.

Yep. The CDC only says you need to avoid all errands if you are symptomatic. Otherwise, they advise to limit essential errands as much as possible, use touchless or curbside delivery if you can, and otherwise use good precautions like masking up, maintaining proper social distance, disinfecting the cart, etc.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/essential-goods-services.html

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2020, 03:40:49 PM »
Can cross 'do all the cooking and cleanup for multiple meals on Thanksgiving' off my bucket list.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:11:43 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2020, 04:54:03 PM »
Can cross 'do all the cooking and cleanup for multiple meals on Thanksgiving' off my bucket list.

We need to talk about your bucket list.  ;D

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2020, 05:16:50 PM »
Second load in the dishwasher.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2020, 06:01:57 PM »

Have you tried watching paint dry, yet?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2020, 07:58:10 PM »

We are seriously grateful today for having a working dishwasher :).  Our old one broke at the beginning of October and we had a nightmare experience with getting the delivery setup correctly, having the new one break after it was run once and waiting another month to get a replacement installed.  But we got the replacement installed last Friday - yeah for that :).

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2020, 08:02:42 PM »
Did a load last night, two today.  Dishwasher is half full now.  We will be ordering out tomorrow.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2020, 08:02:53 PM »

Ours gave up the ghost yesterday of all days.

It's interesting that .. there are popular dishwasher models .. out of stock until January+.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »

It's interesting that .. there are popular dishwasher models .. out of stock until January+.

This industry is hand to mouth in the supply chain.  Sales dictated by production at this point. 

Interestingly my wash motor broke about two months ago.  Took me one month to get a new motor.  All the extra use had caused this part to fail on so many machines that the motors were a bottleneck. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »

Yeah we couldn't get our first choice for a dishwasher as it was out of stock for awhile and then ran into issues waiting for our replacement to get back in stock after our first one broke right after we got it installed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »
I did a lot of research when we bought our dishwasher in 2011. Consumer Reports, Best Buy reviews, Amazon reviews, etc. What I found was that most people did not really like their dishwashers.

I ended up buying a Bosch because we liked the one we had in an apartment we had rented a few years earlier. It has ended up being a very good choice.

It's roomy, its layout makes sense, and the dishes come out clean every time. We usually use either Finish or Cascade packets, and they have similar results.

Nearly 10 years old now, and still going strong. Otherwise, we bought Samsung appliances -- fridge, electric stove, microwave. Each developed problems within 5-6 years, and each has been replaced with an LG appliance.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2020, 11:04:54 AM »
A few years ago, we had a 2 week old refrigerator that died during our Thanksgiving meal. No where to put any leftovers except in coolers outside. GE couldn't send a repairman for a week so they re-imbursed us for the small fridge we bought to carry us over.