collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Poll: What are your plans for Thanksgiving during COVID?

My family is staying home.  We will not see anyone outside our home.
We have reduced our gathering size, but will physically meet others outside our usual circle.
We'll hold Thanksgiving like we did in 2019, with most attending

Author Topic: Thanksgiving 2020  (Read 10085 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Thanksgiving 2020
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2020, 07:28:42 PM »
We've always been travelling .. never cooked a turkey before.

Question:  Should we "order" a turkey?  I realize it's COVID time, so the situation is different, but is there decent availability of birds 1-3 days before?   // Especially to get a small turkey.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2020, 07:31:26 PM »
I read that small turkeys will be in greater demand this year. You may want to order it.
My sister-in-law is picking hers up this week.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »
We've always been travelling .. never cooked a turkey before.

Question:  Should we "order" a turkey?  I realize it's COVID time, so the situation is different, but is there decent availability of birds 1-3 days before?   // Especially to get a small turkey.

We usually swing by the grocery store the weekend before. The closer you get to turkey day, the higher % chance you're only going to find frozen birds that are the wrong size. I typically aim for about 1lb per person... but that'll be hard this year with so few people.

1. It takes days to thaw a frozen bird. 24 hours for each 5lbs. If you're not going to buy a bird this week and prep for thawing in your fridge for days, buy an unfrozen bird

2. Cooking a turkey takes 20 minutes per lb, as a guideline (longer if you stuff it). That being said: Do not cook meat based on time, you cook meat based on temperature. Get a thermapen instant read thermometer if you dont' already have one. Here's a quick vid on checking the bird's temp

3. When in doubt, consult Serious Eats.  https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/buying-prepping-cooking-carving-thanksgiving-turkey-complete-guide-food-lab.html

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2020, 08:06:27 PM »
Some people just do a turkey breast, as another idea.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2020, 08:10:38 PM »
Turkey breast in a crockpot.    The simplest way to go.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2020, 10:18:58 PM »
We usually swing by the grocery store the weekend before. The closer you get to turkey day, the higher % chance you're only going to find frozen birds that are the wrong size. I typically aim for about 1lb per person... but that'll be hard this year with so few people.

1. It takes days to thaw a frozen bird. 24 hours for each 5lbs. If you're not going to buy a bird this week and prep for thawing in your fridge for days, buy an unfrozen bird

2. Cooking a turkey takes 20 minutes per lb, as a guideline (longer if you stuff it). That being said: Do not cook meat based on time, you cook meat based on temperature. Get a thermapen instant read thermometer if you dont' already have one. Here's a quick vid on checking the bird's temp

3. When in doubt, consult Serious Eats.  https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/buying-prepping-cooking-carving-thanksgiving-turkey-complete-guide-food-lab.html

Praise be to Kenji!

The Food Lab Cookbook is my true bible.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 10:21:39 PM »
I think there needs to be a 4th option on this poll of smaller gathering of people inside your bubble. Wife, myself and our 5mo have been very particular about who we see. We will be having 2 immunocompromised friends over for Thanksgiving because they don't see anyone else either.

No family for us this year since they all live out out of state from Chicago.

But I like to throw handfuls...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2020, 11:05:26 PM »
Praise be to Kenji!

The Food Lab Cookbook is my true bible.

Jackpot

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2020, 07:28:58 AM »
Some people just do a turkey breast, as another idea.

That’s what we’ve done the last 2 years.  I miss the big bird but you can do a few more things with Turkey breast recipes
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2020, 07:46:33 AM »
Super safe this year. Just the wife and I for an early dinner, followed by a BLM March, a little Christmas “shopping” and a couple of hours of street dancing to celebrate the election.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2020, 07:50:02 AM »
Super safe this year. Just the wife and I for an early dinner, followed by a BLM March, a little Christmas “shopping” and a couple of hours of street dancing to celebrate the election.

Honestly what is the point of this?  Both you and 4ever have both decided to insert political stupidity where it doesn't belong. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2020, 07:56:45 AM »
Right now, just hoping I haven't infected my family so that the 3 of us CAN celebrate.   But you be you, Lenny.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2020, 08:36:58 AM »
It took a deadly global pandemic to convince numerous major retailers to stay closed for Thanksgiving, reversing a multi-year trend of opening so early for Black Friday that the openings were taking place on T-Day Thursday.

Among those staying closed this year are Walmart (which started the open on T-Day trend), Home Depot and Dick’s Sporting Goods.

On a related note ...

One has to be a special kind of dopey to go to Black Friday sales this year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2020, 09:03:39 AM »
Something to provide a little perspective as we approach Thanksgiving and Christmas.

https://twitter.com/drninashapiro/status/1327427167588806657

Bottom line: your circle is always bigger than you think it is. The more you can do to limit gatherings, the better chance you give yourself, your loved ones, and the frontline personnel fighting this pandemic. And always wear a mask, and remind those in your circle to wear a mask, when interacting with those outside your immediate circle.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2020, 09:05:27 AM »

Honestly what is the point of this?  Both you and 4ever have both decided to insert political stupidity where it doesn't belong.

Like everything else, humor is a one way street on Scoop. Lighten up, Francis.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »
Like everything else, humor is a one way street on Scoop. Lighten up, Francis.

Jokes have to be funny to be humorous.  Up your game Lenny.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2020, 10:35:54 AM »

I’ll defend you here, Lenny. It was semi-funny.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2020, 11:50:30 AM »

What? You’re skipping the big Trump Won The Election Super-Spreader No-Mask MAGA Bigly Thanksgiving Fun Rally?

The emperor will be disappointed, might even twit that you’re a “TRAYTOR - Sad!”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2020, 11:58:43 AM »

Same guys who wrote a strongly worded letter to the mods complaining about politics, eh?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2020, 01:43:54 PM »
Same guys who wrote a strongly worded letter to the mods complaining about politics, eh?

I wrote a letter to the Mods?

Fake news - maybe you have me confused with Sam Hauser.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2020, 01:48:45 PM »
What? You’re skipping the big Trump Won The Election Super-Spreader No-Mask MAGA Bigly Thanksgiving Fun Rally?

The emperor will be disappointed, might even twit that you’re a “TRAYTOR - Sad!”

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Thanks, Mike!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2020, 01:54:23 PM »
I’ll defend you here, Lenny. It was semi-funny.

We may not always be politically simpatico but when you talk art (music, movies, books, comedy) I listen carefully. Semi compliment very much appreciated!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2020, 10:31:04 PM »
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Thanks, Mike!

You da man, Tony. I hope you have a nice and safe Thanksgiving.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2020, 10:44:42 PM »
You da man, Tony. I hope you have a nice and safe Thanksgiving.

You too, Mike. Best to you and yours.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2020, 03:45:52 PM »
I listened to MN Gov. Walz's Covid briefing today, and one of the guest speakers was an ICU nurse from Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis. Her presentation was emotional and moving, as she talked generally about being a frontline worker during Covid, and specifically about risks this holiday season. Regarding Thanksgiving, she ended with a particularly direct comment:

"Stay home this Thanksgiving so that you don't have to ring in the New Year with me."

If interested, her comments run from about 31:00 to 36:30 in the attached video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-IHPvhF_M