collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Poll: What are your plans for Thanksgiving during COVID?

My family is staying home.  We will not see anyone outside our home.
We have reduced our gathering size, but will physically meet others outside our usual circle.
We'll hold Thanksgiving like we did in 2019, with most attending

Author Topic: Thanksgiving 2020  (Read 9871 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Thanksgiving 2020
« on: November 13, 2020, 09:05:34 AM »
I was going to add "I have no family and will be eating at Arby's like usual" but thought it would dilute the results.

I ask this question because I'm wondering where COVID will go after Thanksgiving.   I imagine higher, but wonder if it will be just higher, or apocalyptically higher.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Thanksgiving 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 09:16:50 AM »
Staying home - no outside contact.

As to your more general question, I suspect it's gonna get apocalyptically higher. I base that simply on the curve today, which is already heading in the apocalyptic direction. To bend the curve, we don't need Thanksgiving to be just like today or tomorrow; we would need it to be even more isolated than our current lives.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 09:20:18 AM »
We've agonized a bit over this. Extended family gathering is out of the question. We are going to have my parents and brother over. My mom is already at our house a couple days per week to watch our kid, and my brother just recovered from COVID, so I don't necessarily see it as adding much to our risk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 09:24:18 AM »
We had already decided to make it only the 3 of us prior to my positive test.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 09:27:13 AM »
We (my wife and I) have pretty tight circles, but they are not all in the same house.  My parents are in our circle.  We will be having them over to the house for Thanksgiving, but not my brothers or sister and their families.  The other thing we did is add an Ionizer to our HVAC system.  Supposed to take out 99% of the virus/bacteria in the air in 30 mins.  I know it is not a perfect answer, but that is about as safe as we can make it. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 09:30:27 AM »
Flying to Arizona with my GF. It'll be my parents, my sister, brother in law and nephew. They have access to rapid tests so we're getting tested before leaving and then when we get there.

it's outdoor season for me down there while everyone else will be freezing and indoors so finding patio seating at places shouldn't be an issue.
--------

For the record I was all for giving up Thanksgiving this year. It was not my choice to travel.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 10:22:20 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 09:34:08 AM »
It's a single traditional meal.  If people aren't willing to give up something so simple, then we are truly doomed.

Why is this a hard decision for anyone?

Country filled with spoiled brats.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 09:39:26 AM »
We (my wife The other thing we did is add an Ionizer to our HVAC system.  Supposed to take out 99% of the virus/bacteria in the air in 30 mins. 

Tell me more about the ionizer.  I had a UVC light but added a more powerful set to our HVAC.  For $120, it was a no-brainer.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 09:59:52 AM »
My wife and I are having our son over.  Yeah he doesn't live with us, but he lives alone.  He's the only person from outside our household who we will be socializing with.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 10:06:10 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 10:01:50 AM »
Going to my parents if they have the all clear and it’ll be us three. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 10:08:30 AM »
Tell me more about the ionizer.  I had a UVC light but added a more powerful set to our HVAC.  For $120, it was a no-brainer.

Here is the website.  Our HVAC guy said he likes this better than UVC as there is no maintenance or requirements to change out the bulb every year or two years or whatever it is.  More expensive on the front end than $120, we paid $700 fully installed.  He has been putting a lot of these units in schools etc.....

https://www.iwaveair.com/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 10:37:57 AM »
Does White Castle still sell the fried turkey puck sammich?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 10:47:06 AM »
I was going to add "I have no family and will be eating at Arby's like usual" but thought it would dilute the results.

I ask this question because I'm wondering where COVID will go after Thanksgiving.   I imagine higher, but wonder if it will be just higher, or apocalyptically higher.

Not everyone has family. I know many who don't.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 11:54:37 AM »
Not everyone has family. I know many who don't.

Me, too. And we have had them as guests in the past. And we are having a neighbor (who is a widow) over this year, as well, just will practice social distancing.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 06:24:48 PM »
No traveling to hang with Family.  We've got another couple/friends that are very careful and we've dubbed our "isolation buddies".  They'll be over instead.  The 4 of us did that on Halloween too.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »
It will be just the 4 of us at home.  My daughters are upset but we can't see my parents for a couple reasons - for one they're in Ohio and I think Ohio still wants people from Wisconsin to quarantine upon arrival.  But my Dad has some health issues too so my parents think it's too much of a risk to be around us now.  And it doesn't make sense to travel to see extended family either with the current Covid situation. I haven't seen my parents since last Christmas and am so dreading the holidays without them but it's what we have to do.

I am so fearful of huge spreads after Thanksgiving and Christmas especially in my girls' schools.  The District is bound and determined to stay open for in person learning no matter what.  And there are so many families in the District who think Covid is no big deal and are going to do their normal holiday gatherings.  The numbers on the District dashboard are already not so great and are only going to get worse.  They saw a spike after Halloween and I think it's going to be much worse after Thanksgiving and Christmas.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 10:02:30 PM »
It will be just the 4 of us at home.  My daughters are upset but we can't see my parents for a couple reasons - for one they're in Ohio and I think Ohio still wants people from Wisconsin to quarantine upon arrival.  But my Dad has some health issues too so my parents think it's too much of a risk to be around us now.  And it doesn't make sense to travel to see extended family either with the current Covid situation. I haven't seen my parents since last Christmas and am so dreading the holidays without them but it's what we have to do.

I am so fearful of huge spreads after Thanksgiving and Christmas especially in my girls' schools.  The District is bound and determined to stay open for in person learning no matter what.  And there are so many families in the District who think Covid is no big deal and are going to do their normal holiday gatherings.  The numbers on the District dashboard are already not so great and are only going to get worse.  They saw a spike after Halloween and I think it's going to be much worse after Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Thanks for sharing this.

Unfortunately I think you have very good reason to be concerned.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 11:36:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing this.

Unfortunately I think you have very good reason to be concerned.

Oh yeah and both of my girls' schools are virtual now through 11/30 due to so many Covid cases for students and staff.  I wish they'd just switch to all Virtual through mid-January but I doubt that will happen.  At least my 8th grader returns to a true hybrid schedule the week of 11/30 - a little bit of social distancing can happen with that schedule.

But so many people will travel at Thanksgiving and continue their large gatherings and then turn around and spread Covid.  In the meantime, I wonder if I'll ever get to see my parents again :( - fear it might end up being too late in the end.

I'm so scared - I've already lost one child and am scared sh*tless to lose another.  11/21 marks 11 years since my son passed away at 12 days old in my arms.  I don't care how many people talk up survival rates and say kids aren't impacted, I'm pretty frickin worried...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 06:44:58 AM »
Was planning to leave this AM for a week with the in laws in NY.  Car was packed, we self quarantined for 10 days prior, got negative COVID results, alarm went off at 5am to hit the road early, woke up and it didn’t feel right and cancelled. 

Lots of tears from Mrs. Reinko, the kiddo and the grandparents...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 07:01:19 AM »
Oh yeah and both of my girls' schools are virtual now through 11/30 due to so many Covid cases for students and staff.  I wish they'd just switch to all Virtual through mid-January but I doubt that will happen.  At least my 8th grader returns to a true hybrid schedule the week of 11/30 - a little bit of social distancing can happen with that schedule.

But so many people will travel at Thanksgiving and continue their large gatherings and then turn around and spread Covid.  In the meantime, I wonder if I'll ever get to see my parents again :( - fear it might end up being too late in the end.

I'm so scared - I've already lost one child and am scared sh*tless to lose another.  11/21 marks 11 years since my son passed away at 12 days old in my arms.  I don't care how many people talk up survival rates and say kids aren't impacted, I'm pretty frickin worried...

My younger daughter's school was already full remote the week after Thanksgiving.  She just got word last night that they will now be full remote the next week and half before Thanksgiving too.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2020, 11:13:16 AM »
I just ordered a pick-up thanksgiving dinner with all the fixin's from Publican Quality Meats here in Chicago. With so few people at dinner (just me, my brother, and the wives) we might as well get fancy. Also avoiding packed grocery stores, and supporting local restaurants.

My parents are a little sad because it's always been my grandmother, or my brother and I, making holiday meals. For the time being, they are planning on fixing themselves grilled cheese sandwiches... and they are really excited about it lol

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2020, 11:32:30 AM »
I just ordered a pick-up thanksgiving dinner with all the fixin's from Publican Quality Meats here in Chicago. With so few people at dinner (just me, my brother, and the wives) we might as well get fancy. Also avoiding packed grocery stores, and supporting local restaurants.

My parents are a little sad because it's always been my grandmother, or my brother and I, making holiday meals. For the time being, they are planning on fixing themselves grilled cheese sandwiches... and they are really excited about it lol

Please report back on how that ends up tasting! Was thinking of getting that before plans changed.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »
Please report back on how that ends up tasting! Was thinking of getting that before plans changed.

We ordered the Black Aztec heritage bird. I'm pretty excited!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2020, 01:26:05 PM »
My younger daughter's school was already full remote the week after Thanksgiving.  She just got word last night that they will now be full remote the next week and half before Thanksgiving too.

I think being remote after Thanksgiving makes a lot of sense - think there's going to be a lot of spread at that time unfortunately.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
We ordered the Black Aztec heritage bird. I'm pretty excited!

Thanks for this tip. Just ordered my bird and a few quarts of stock.
But I like to throw handfuls...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2020, 07:28:42 PM »
We've always been travelling .. never cooked a turkey before.

Question:  Should we "order" a turkey?  I realize it's COVID time, so the situation is different, but is there decent availability of birds 1-3 days before?   // Especially to get a small turkey.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2020, 07:31:26 PM »
I read that small turkeys will be in greater demand this year. You may want to order it.
My sister-in-law is picking hers up this week.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »
We've always been travelling .. never cooked a turkey before.

Question:  Should we "order" a turkey?  I realize it's COVID time, so the situation is different, but is there decent availability of birds 1-3 days before?   // Especially to get a small turkey.

We usually swing by the grocery store the weekend before. The closer you get to turkey day, the higher % chance you're only going to find frozen birds that are the wrong size. I typically aim for about 1lb per person... but that'll be hard this year with so few people.

1. It takes days to thaw a frozen bird. 24 hours for each 5lbs. If you're not going to buy a bird this week and prep for thawing in your fridge for days, buy an unfrozen bird

2. Cooking a turkey takes 20 minutes per lb, as a guideline (longer if you stuff it). That being said: Do not cook meat based on time, you cook meat based on temperature. Get a thermapen instant read thermometer if you dont' already have one. Here's a quick vid on checking the bird's temp

3. When in doubt, consult Serious Eats.  https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/buying-prepping-cooking-carving-thanksgiving-turkey-complete-guide-food-lab.html

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2020, 08:06:27 PM »
Some people just do a turkey breast, as another idea.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2020, 08:10:38 PM »
Turkey breast in a crockpot.    The simplest way to go.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Chili

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2020, 10:18:58 PM »
We usually swing by the grocery store the weekend before. The closer you get to turkey day, the higher % chance you're only going to find frozen birds that are the wrong size. I typically aim for about 1lb per person... but that'll be hard this year with so few people.

1. It takes days to thaw a frozen bird. 24 hours for each 5lbs. If you're not going to buy a bird this week and prep for thawing in your fridge for days, buy an unfrozen bird

2. Cooking a turkey takes 20 minutes per lb, as a guideline (longer if you stuff it). That being said: Do not cook meat based on time, you cook meat based on temperature. Get a thermapen instant read thermometer if you dont' already have one. Here's a quick vid on checking the bird's temp

3. When in doubt, consult Serious Eats.  https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/buying-prepping-cooking-carving-thanksgiving-turkey-complete-guide-food-lab.html

Praise be to Kenji!

The Food Lab Cookbook is my true bible.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 10:21:39 PM »
I think there needs to be a 4th option on this poll of smaller gathering of people inside your bubble. Wife, myself and our 5mo have been very particular about who we see. We will be having 2 immunocompromised friends over for Thanksgiving because they don't see anyone else either.

No family for us this year since they all live out out of state from Chicago.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2020, 11:05:26 PM »
Praise be to Kenji!

The Food Lab Cookbook is my true bible.

Jackpot

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2020, 07:28:58 AM »
Some people just do a turkey breast, as another idea.

That’s what we’ve done the last 2 years.  I miss the big bird but you can do a few more things with Turkey breast recipes
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2020, 07:46:33 AM »
Super safe this year. Just the wife and I for an early dinner, followed by a BLM March, a little Christmas “shopping” and a couple of hours of street dancing to celebrate the election.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2020, 07:50:02 AM »
Super safe this year. Just the wife and I for an early dinner, followed by a BLM March, a little Christmas “shopping” and a couple of hours of street dancing to celebrate the election.

Honestly what is the point of this?  Both you and 4ever have both decided to insert political stupidity where it doesn't belong. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2020, 07:56:45 AM »
Right now, just hoping I haven't infected my family so that the 3 of us CAN celebrate.   But you be you, Lenny.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2020, 08:36:58 AM »
It took a deadly global pandemic to convince numerous major retailers to stay closed for Thanksgiving, reversing a multi-year trend of opening so early for Black Friday that the openings were taking place on T-Day Thursday.

Among those staying closed this year are Walmart (which started the open on T-Day trend), Home Depot and Dick’s Sporting Goods.

On a related note ...

One has to be a special kind of dopey to go to Black Friday sales this year.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2020, 09:03:39 AM »
Something to provide a little perspective as we approach Thanksgiving and Christmas.

https://twitter.com/drninashapiro/status/1327427167588806657

Bottom line: your circle is always bigger than you think it is. The more you can do to limit gatherings, the better chance you give yourself, your loved ones, and the frontline personnel fighting this pandemic. And always wear a mask, and remind those in your circle to wear a mask, when interacting with those outside your immediate circle.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2020, 09:05:27 AM »

Honestly what is the point of this?  Both you and 4ever have both decided to insert political stupidity where it doesn't belong.

Like everything else, humor is a one way street on Scoop. Lighten up, Francis.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »
Like everything else, humor is a one way street on Scoop. Lighten up, Francis.

Jokes have to be funny to be humorous.  Up your game Lenny.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2020, 10:35:54 AM »

I’ll defend you here, Lenny. It was semi-funny.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2020, 11:50:30 AM »

What? You’re skipping the big Trump Won The Election Super-Spreader No-Mask MAGA Bigly Thanksgiving Fun Rally?

The emperor will be disappointed, might even twit that you’re a “TRAYTOR - Sad!”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2020, 11:58:43 AM »

Same guys who wrote a strongly worded letter to the mods complaining about politics, eh?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2020, 01:43:54 PM »
Same guys who wrote a strongly worded letter to the mods complaining about politics, eh?

I wrote a letter to the Mods?

Fake news - maybe you have me confused with Sam Hauser.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2020, 01:48:45 PM »
What? You’re skipping the big Trump Won The Election Super-Spreader No-Mask MAGA Bigly Thanksgiving Fun Rally?

The emperor will be disappointed, might even twit that you’re a “TRAYTOR - Sad!”

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Thanks, Mike!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2020, 01:54:23 PM »
I’ll defend you here, Lenny. It was semi-funny.

We may not always be politically simpatico but when you talk art (music, movies, books, comedy) I listen carefully. Semi compliment very much appreciated!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2020, 10:31:04 PM »
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Thanks, Mike!

You da man, Tony. I hope you have a nice and safe Thanksgiving.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2020, 10:44:42 PM »
You da man, Tony. I hope you have a nice and safe Thanksgiving.

You too, Mike. Best to you and yours.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2020, 03:45:52 PM »
I listened to MN Gov. Walz's Covid briefing today, and one of the guest speakers was an ICU nurse from Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis. Her presentation was emotional and moving, as she talked generally about being a frontline worker during Covid, and specifically about risks this holiday season. Regarding Thanksgiving, she ended with a particularly direct comment:

"Stay home this Thanksgiving so that you don't have to ring in the New Year with me."

If interested, her comments run from about 31:00 to 36:30 in the attached video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-IHPvhF_M

MU82

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2020, 06:45:37 PM »
From McClatchey News ...

Canada’s Thanksgiving experience could be a lesson for Americans about the dangers of small, household gatherings.

Cases surged in the two weeks that followed Canada’s Thanksgiving on Oct. 12, and experts say the trend has continued and is likely to affect Christmas celebrations next month.

In the United States, Dr. James Phillips, chief of disaster medicine at George Washington University Hospital, told CNN that he is “terrified” about the upcoming holiday season.

“We’re going to see an unprecedented surge of cases following Thanksgiving this year, and if people don’t learn from Thanksgiving, we’re going to see it after Christmas as well,” Phillips said.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2020, 06:58:53 AM »
An East Coast grocery chain has apologized after running a Thanksgiving advertisement encouraging hosts to “plan a super spread.”

The ad for Giant Food was printed in the December issue of Savory, the chain’s magazine, “Today” reported.

It read, “Hosting? Plan a super spread” in large letters followed by “it’s easy with our entertaining offerings."

Cases are surging as the holidays approach, and experts are encouraging people to keep gatherings small and safe.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2020, 08:21:22 AM »
We just decided to have thanksgiving in our respective households (the local crew).  We will connect with everyone over video. It’s one dinner, one year. 

We also decided to do a quarantine in advance of Christmas and spend some meaningful time together as a broader family. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2020, 09:21:51 AM »
We just decided to have thanksgiving in our respective households (the local crew).  We will connect with everyone over video. It’s one dinner, one year. 

We also decided to do a quarantine in advance of Christmas and spend some meaningful time together as a broader family. 

We are doing the same for Christmas.  Everyone must commit to a two week quarantine prior and to not show up if they are feeling bad.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2020, 10:11:17 AM »

We are doing the same for Christmas.  Everyone must commit to a two week quarantine prior and to not show up if they are feeling bad.

Really wish my family could do this. Unfortunately, multiple members work in healthcare. Thanksgiving and Christmas are gonna be quiet this year.

But at least we're receiving increased compensation from the hazard pay...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »
Doing all the cooking.   Wife is still in quarantine.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2020, 10:43:01 AM »

Curious: how is your family definining "quarantine"?  We have been discussing similar, but some family with kids can't truly isolate unless they pull kids from school and don't let them leave the house (neighborhood kids who don't respect boundaries).  Does your quarantine include stocking up on groceries, etc. for two weeks?  When me sister tested positive, she was instructed to isolate herself (meaning lock herself in a room away from family) and quarantine her family - which whomever she was talking with defined as not going to work or school but that it was OK to still leave home for food or other errands so long as masked.  I was surprised she wasn't given a firmer message that no one should leave home unless there is a really really strong need.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »
Curious: how is your family definining "quarantine"?  We have been discussing similar, but some family with kids can't truly isolate unless they pull kids from school and don't let them leave the house (neighborhood kids who don't respect boundaries).  Does your quarantine include stocking up on groceries, etc. for two weeks?  When me sister tested positive, she was instructed to isolate herself (meaning lock herself in a room away from family) and quarantine her family - which whomever she was talking with defined as not going to work or school but that it was OK to still leave home for food or other errands so long as masked.  I was surprised she wasn't given a firmer message that no one should leave home unless there is a really really strong need.

People can go shopping, get take out, etc.  But everyone is working from home and I have no grandkids to worry about.  Even people who are travelling from a fair distance are driving and not flying this year.  (And can do this without spending the night somewhere.)

People who are asymptomatic and quarantining due to a close contact can still go food shopping, get prescriptions, etc.  If you have symptoms, or test positive, you must isolate which means doing none of the above.  So I think that's the advice your sister is following right?

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2020, 10:53:28 AM »
I don’t know, I’m not an expert,  that doesn’t sound like quarantining to me, especially the shopping part, as you don’t say how often you go. . That is pretty much my everyday life lol.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »
Well those are the ground rules we all agreed to.

From what I understand, if you are in official quarantine you may shop for essentials like food and medication.  So yeah I mixed up a couple of concepts there so I apologize.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2020, 12:21:03 PM »

So I think that's the advice your sister is following right?

Roughly, yes.  While I don't take any umbrage with flexibilities for essentials, I was surprised there wasn't a stronger message.  She described the advise from the health department* as "no school, no work, no parties, but otherwise those you live with can carry on as normal unless they start to feel sick".

*not sure exactly who called her with these guidelines but that's the word she used

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2020, 01:17:24 PM »
*not sure exactly who called her with these guidelines but that's the word she used

I think that's the problem with a leadership vacuum in our country. There is a lot of conflicting advice right now. I think it's hard for a lot of people to determine what a trustworthy source is, because it's so much easier to hear what you hope to hear.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2020, 01:21:18 PM »

Well those are the ground rules we all agreed to.

From what I understand, if you are in official quarantine you may shop for essentials like food and medication.  So yeah I mixed up a couple of concepts there so I apologize.

Yep. The CDC only says you need to avoid all errands if you are symptomatic. Otherwise, they advise to limit essential errands as much as possible, use touchless or curbside delivery if you can, and otherwise use good precautions like masking up, maintaining proper social distance, disinfecting the cart, etc.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/essential-goods-services.html

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2020, 03:40:49 PM »
Can cross 'do all the cooking and cleanup for multiple meals on Thanksgiving' off my bucket list.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:11:43 PM by tower912 »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2020, 04:54:03 PM »
Can cross 'do all the cooking and cleanup for multiple meals on Thanksgiving' off my bucket list.

We need to talk about your bucket list.  ;D

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2020, 05:16:50 PM »
Second load in the dishwasher.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2020, 06:01:57 PM »

Have you tried watching paint dry, yet?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2020, 07:58:10 PM »

We are seriously grateful today for having a working dishwasher :).  Our old one broke at the beginning of October and we had a nightmare experience with getting the delivery setup correctly, having the new one break after it was run once and waiting another month to get a replacement installed.  But we got the replacement installed last Friday - yeah for that :).

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2020, 08:02:42 PM »
Did a load last night, two today.  Dishwasher is half full now.  We will be ordering out tomorrow.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2020, 08:02:53 PM »

Ours gave up the ghost yesterday of all days.

It's interesting that .. there are popular dishwasher models .. out of stock until January+.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »

It's interesting that .. there are popular dishwasher models .. out of stock until January+.

This industry is hand to mouth in the supply chain.  Sales dictated by production at this point. 

Interestingly my wash motor broke about two months ago.  Took me one month to get a new motor.  All the extra use had caused this part to fail on so many machines that the motors were a bottleneck. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »

Yeah we couldn't get our first choice for a dishwasher as it was out of stock for awhile and then ran into issues waiting for our replacement to get back in stock after our first one broke right after we got it installed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »
I did a lot of research when we bought our dishwasher in 2011. Consumer Reports, Best Buy reviews, Amazon reviews, etc. What I found was that most people did not really like their dishwashers.

I ended up buying a Bosch because we liked the one we had in an apartment we had rented a few years earlier. It has ended up being a very good choice.

It's roomy, its layout makes sense, and the dishes come out clean every time. We usually use either Finish or Cascade packets, and they have similar results.

Nearly 10 years old now, and still going strong. Otherwise, we bought Samsung appliances -- fridge, electric stove, microwave. Each developed problems within 5-6 years, and each has been replaced with an LG appliance.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2020, 11:04:54 AM »
A few years ago, we had a 2 week old refrigerator that died during our Thanksgiving meal. No where to put any leftovers except in coolers outside. GE couldn't send a repairman for a week so they re-imbursed us for the small fridge we bought to carry us over.