[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Expanding randomized testing & contact tracing  (Read 2509 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Expanding randomized testing & contact tracing
« on: October 23, 2020, 10:15:54 AM »
As we know, the countries that have successfully contained Coronavirus have invested extensively in testing and contact tracing. Hopefully, the US follows suit in the coming months and starts taking this pandemic seriously.

I just got accepted into a study called the SCAN trial by Northwestern University here in Chicago, studying how many people have developed antibodies to the COVID-19 virus. It's not much, but it's something.

https://scan.northwestern.edu/

Have you heard of anything like this in your neck of the woods? Or statewide efforts to pin any of this information down?

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Expanding randomized testing & contact tracing
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 10:23:46 AM »
As we know, the countries that have successfully contained Coronavirus have invested extensively in testing and contact tracing. Hopefully, the US follows suit in the coming months and starts taking this pandemic seriously.

I just got accepted into a study called the SCAN trial by Northwestern University here in Chicago, studying how many people have developed antibodies to the COVID-19 virus. It's not much, but it's something.

https://scan.northwestern.edu/

Have you heard of anything like this in your neck of the woods? Or statewide efforts to pin any of this information down?

Interesting, just signed up. Hope I get selected
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 10:24:39 AM »
Here in MN, our Department of Health did randomized testing throughout the state from September 15-30. It was voluntary, but only for those households /neighborhoods that had been randomly selected.

https://kstp.com/coronavirus/mdh-officials-begin-statewide-covid-19-survey-of-minnesota-households-september-15-2020/5863294/

I haven't yet heard the results of the survey, although there was an indecent where the testers were going door to door when they were confronted by armed residents and forced to leave the property.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/09/18/armed-residents-confront-covid19-testing-team-in-minnesota

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 01:15:07 PM »
From today's WSJ:

With a second wave of coronavirus infections sweeping through Europe, one of the continent’s smallest countries is attempting a big response: Slovakia will try to test every adult over the next two weeks.
The government on Friday began its mass testing campaign in the north of the country, which has been hit hard by the new coronavirus. Thousands of people began lining up at schools, town halls and indoor swimming pools that have been converted into testing centers by the military.
The government has banned residents in the north from leaving their homes for almost any reason—unless they are on their way to get tested or can present a negative result.
Ludum habemus.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 01:37:44 PM »
From today's WSJ:

With a second wave of coronavirus infections sweeping through Europe, one of the continent’s smallest countries is attempting a big response: Slovakia will try to test every adult over the next two weeks.
The government on Friday began its mass testing campaign in the north of the country, which has been hit hard by the new coronavirus. Thousands of people began lining up at schools, town halls and indoor swimming pools that have been converted into testing centers by the military.
The government has banned residents in the north from leaving their homes for almost any reason—unless they are on their way to get tested or can present a negative result.

Impossible for that to happen in America. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 01:52:48 PM »
Interesting, just signed up. Hope I get selected
Me too.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 02:07:36 PM »

yup
Ludum habemus.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 02:50:31 PM »
I signed up a  couple weeks ago but I figure my odds of being accepted are pretty low.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 03:15:20 PM »

It's absolutely possible to TRY

USPS could even drop off tests to every American.  But that won't happen.  And if it did, many would call it fake anyway.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 05:10:58 PM »
It's absolutely possible to TRY

USPS could even drop off tests to every American.  But that won't happen.  And if it did, many would call it fake anyway.

Fake, and also the government is trying to chip us all to track us. Getting all that valuable information about whether I'm on my couch or in my chair.

Trying would be great, it would be a wonderful use of resources. It could be a great dry-run for an inevitable vaccine rollout, and a nice way to tap into our Armed Forces resources. The Army kills it at those types of problems (pun intended).

Edit - Here's the kit that Northwestern sends, along with a how-to video. Seems simple enough. https://vimeo.com/424164318
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 05:14:08 PM by Skatastrophy »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 05:38:30 PM »
Fake, and also the government is trying to chip us all to track us. Getting all that valuable information about whether I'm on my couch or in my chair.

Trying would be great, it would be a wonderful use of resources. It could be a great dry-run for an inevitable vaccine rollout, and a nice way to tap into our Armed Forces resources. The Army kills it at those types of problems (pun intended).

Edit - Here's the kit that Northwestern sends, along with a how-to video. Seems simple enough. https://vimeo.com/424164318

I think it would be great for our government to give it a shot, and agree the video looks pretty doable for most people. Still, I think the compliance/participation rate would go WAY up if we used a saliva-based PCR test instead of a blood-based test for antibodies. Because, you know, blood, needles and such....

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 06:48:28 PM »

It is a vast Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids