[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Season Starts Nov 25  (Read 42819 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Season Starts Nov 25
« on: September 16, 2020, 05:47:31 PM »
Per multiple sources.

What does this mean for Marquette’s schedule? Will it be reduced? Will they still get in 11 non con games? Will the tournament be pushed back a couple weeks? Admittedly have paid basically no attention to Marquette basketball since doomsday, so I apologize if some of this has been covered elsewhere.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Season Starts Nov 25
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 06:28:24 PM »
Per multiple sources.

What does this mean for Marquette’s schedule? Will it be reduced? Will they still get in 11 non con games? Will the tournament be pushed back a couple weeks? Admittedly have paid basically no attention to Marquette basketball since doomsday, so I apologize if some of this has been covered elsewhere.

Must be slightly reduced. Max 27 games for teams. Min of 13. Recommended to have at least 4 non con.

Aka, teams are just gonna be doing whatever works I guess
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »
Wonder if the UW game is going on hiatus for a year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 10:11:24 AM »
Wonder if the UW game is going on hiatus for a year.
I would be surprised if it was not played. Only reason would be, if UW decided not to play a road game. Otherwise MU is probably the closest distance wise for a road game. Besides that UW has to believe they are better than MU this year, so they would want to play the game.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »
This would be the year to punt on playing UW.  As annoying as they are, they will be tough to beat with this year's MU roster.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 11:33:55 AM »
This would be the year to punt on playing UW.  As annoying as they are, they will be tough to beat with this year's MU roster.
Apparently game is on
Goal is National Championship

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 12:17:18 PM »
Bring em on.  ND too. 

ND SUCKS!!!!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 12:24:25 PM »
Apparently game is on

Good.  It's a great rivalry.  And like any good rivalry, sometimes you kick ass, sometimes you get your ass kicked, but most of the time they are really good games.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 01:38:03 PM »
Glad to be wrong about this one. Another note to come out, schedule maximum will be 27 games. If the Big East sticks with its planned 20 game schedule, that will mean (as constructed) Marquette's cap is (I believe) 26 games, depending on how the Mohegan Sun MTE is handled. It's also possible Marquette will end up in a larger MTE because I know Mohegan Sun is one of the locations looking to host more than just the Hall of Fame event they usually have. I think there's a good chance Marquette won't play any actual home games in non-con because it may be easier and safer to just attend one large event, get all 7 non-con games there, and then move on to conference play.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-21-college-basketball-season-to-start-on-nov-25-after-ncaa-vote/
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 01:38:39 PM »
Bring em on.  ND too. 

ND SUCKS!!!!

That series is supposed to restart this year or next?
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 01:40:15 PM »
That series is supposed to restart this year or next?

Next

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 02:56:29 PM »
NCAA selection is going to be a nightmare. If teams can't field players because of COVID I say let the chips fall where they may. There will be a lot of schools crying foul because they weren't invited to the prom especially if a Kansas or Kentucky were picked with a worse won/loss record but the loss was discounted because they had players out due to COVID; and you can bet they would complain as well because they didn't have the best player(s) on the court if they did not qualify.

With so few non-con games I can see where a good mid major or low major team does not make the cut because a Power 6 school played .500 in their league. I could see where 3 or 4 teams could finish at .500 in the Big East; who do you pick?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 02:59:51 PM »

So we would play them at their place again the following year; I doubt they would concede that.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »
NCAA selection is going to be a nightmare. If teams can't field players because of COVID I say let the chips fall where they may. There will be a lot of schools crying foul because they weren't invited to the prom especially if a Kansas or Kentucky were picked with a worse won/loss record but the loss was discounted because they had players out due to COVID; and you can bet they would complain as well because they didn't have the best player(s) on the court if they did not qualify.

With so few non-con games I can see where a good mid major or low major team does not make the cut because a Power 6 school played .500 in their league. I could see where 3 or 4 teams could finish at .500 in the Big East; who do you pick?

If a player is out with COVID the whole team should quarantine, there's no way around it. Those losses should be forefits.

Agreed with the rest of your statement.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 03:41:56 PM »
If a player is out with COVID the whole team should quarantine, there's no way around it. Those losses should be forefits.

I don't think quarantine games should be considered losses or forfeits. If no game is played because of a global pandemic that everyone is learning how to deal with, then it simply isn't recorded in the records. I expect that's why the NCAA made the minimum requirement for games to be considered for the Tournament 13. I mean, if Marquette had a banner season and ended up going perfect in the bubble but having to quarantine for a few weeks from the bubble to the start of non-con (missing 5 games), then had another 2-week quarantine later in the year (missing another 5) would we be happy if their 15-2 record and likely top-3 seed was turned into 15-12 on the bubble because two players popped up with positive tests?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 06:45:41 PM »
I don't think quarantine games should be considered losses or forfeits. If no game is played because of a global pandemic that everyone is learning how to deal with, then it simply isn't recorded in the records. I expect that's why the NCAA made the minimum requirement for games to be considered for the Tournament 13. I mean, if Marquette had a banner season and ended up going perfect in the bubble but having to quarantine for a few weeks from the bubble to the start of non-con (missing 5 games), then had another 2-week quarantine later in the year (missing another 5) would we be happy if their 15-2 record and likely top-3 seed was turned into 15-12 on the bubble because two players popped up with positive tests?

That makes sense. Good points.

Based on the last couple of seasons we really need some positive tests to come in for the last 4 or 5 games of the conference season. Can't lose if you can't play.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 06:55:03 PM »

If that's the way they work it, it might create a perverse incentive for a team with a red-hot start but a string of tough games coming up to send a walk-on to a big party. Crazy? Sure. But in the big-money world of college sports, not out of the question.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2020, 07:00:22 PM »

What if half the team already tested positive should those players not play as they would be immune.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2020, 07:08:38 PM »

If that's the way they work it, it might create a perverse incentive for a team with a red-hot start but a string of tough games coming up to send a walk-on to a big party. Crazy? Sure. But in the big-money world of college sports, not out of the question.

While it makes sense, we rarely see coaches get to the "shut it down" point in college basketball and I can't imagine they would this year. There will already likely be issues of keeping the team in rhythm and what will probably be a sporadic schedule, the last thing you'll want to do is deliberately take your team out of competition for a few weeks when there could already be built in gaps that long or longer.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 09:44:34 PM »
What if half the team already tested positive should those players not play as they would be immune.
I am not sure immunity is a given. There is more than one strain of Covid 19.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 10:03:03 PM »
I am not sure immunity is a given. There is more than one strain of Covid 19.

Immunity is not a given. There are numerous reports from multiple countries of recovered COVID patients contracting the disease again, and generally it looks like COVID antibodies only stay in the body 3-4 months, which is why vaccination might not be the guarantee everyone is hoping for, especially if they need to generate enough doses for everyone to get it 3-4 times per year.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 10:08:08 PM »
Immunity is not a given. There are numerous reports from multiple countries of recovered COVID patients contracting the disease again, and generally it looks like COVID antibodies only stay in the body 3-4 months, which is why vaccination might not be the guarantee everyone is hoping for, especially if they need to generate enough doses for everyone to get it 3-4 times per year.
so this   may last yesrs or

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 10:59:50 PM »
so this   may last yesrs or

It may. Too early to know. This might just be something that is now part of reality, like AIDS or the Internet.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »
It may. Too early to know. This might just be something that is now part of reality, like AIDS or the Internet.

My sense is that we will eventually get better (year-long?) vaccines, so we end up getting both flu and Covid vaccines every year. That may take a while though, so it may be a challenging next few years. Treatments will also continue to improve (like they have for HIV), so the illness will be less debilitating for those who get it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 06:15:25 AM »
Glad to be wrong about this one. Another note to come out, schedule maximum will be 27 games. If the Big East sticks with its planned 20 game schedule, that will mean (as constructed) Marquette's cap is (I believe) 26 games, depending on how the Mohegan Sun MTE is handled. It's also possible Marquette will end up in a larger MTE because I know Mohegan Sun is one of the locations looking to host more than just the Hall of Fame event they usually have. I think there's a good chance Marquette won't play any actual home games in non-con because it may be easier and safer to just attend one large event, get all 7 non-con games there, and then move on to conference play.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-21-college-basketball-season-to-start-on-nov-25-after-ncaa-vote/

Brew, in that scenario would you expect those games to be televised?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback