[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 247938 times)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #1025 on: December 21, 2020, 04:22:54 PM »
RIP Kevin Greene. Will never forget the moment captured by NFL Films when he spoke to Clay Matthews right before his forced fumble in the Super Bowl.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1026 on: December 21, 2020, 04:27:07 PM »

I really could understand if he wants to move on.  I am not sure what else he could accomplish at NW.

Yep. And there's no worse than a 40% chance that if the NFL doesn't work out, that job will be there if he wants it back. Most coaches at Northwestern are going to have a rough go, and bringing Fitzgerald back will always be a popular move.  I doubt that leaving for an NFL gig at this point would leave any bad blood, especially if the report is true that nine teams have asked after him over the past five years. He's been the head man since '06 and been on staff there since '01. He won a bunch and got those beautiful new facilities built - he's done plenty to take a shot.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: December 21, 2020, 04:30:43 PM »
Heard from a NU buddy of mine that if the Bears come calling he’s gone.

Would probably explain a bunch of their players declaring for the draft and entering the transfer portal. Not even backups, but starters are transferring out.

Hank announces his retirement, AD is leaving for the ACC, just too much smoke.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 04:36:18 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1028 on: December 21, 2020, 04:34:13 PM »
Sooooo....does Lawrence refuse to go to Jacksonville? I mean, they're an even more dysfunctional franchise than the Jets and probably won't be in Jacksonville within a few years.

Here's one for you 82, keep him in the Carolinas and have him force a trade to the Panthers.

If only.

I wonder how much it would cost the Panthers to move up from #4 or 5, where it looks like they'll be, to #1.

The Panthers need so much that they really can't afford to give up something like three #1s and two #2, or whatever. So it probably won't happen. But damn!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1029 on: December 21, 2020, 05:01:05 PM »
If I understand the NFL tiebreakers correctly, and I'm not sure I do, the Packers game against the Titans does not matter. Win or lose against the Titans, beating the Bears will guarantee the 1 seed and losing to the Bears will guarantee a 2 or 3 seed depending on the results of the Saints and Seahawks games (except for a very convoluted situation where the Packers/Saints/Seahawks go 0-2 and the Bucs/Rams go 1-1, letting the Packers keep the 1 seed at 11-5).

Mostly correct. Unless both Seattle and NO lose Sunday and GB wins. Then the Bears game would be meaningless to GB. I would still expect GB to use their starters (at least for most of the game against Chi) as you don't want a 3 week layoff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: December 21, 2020, 07:03:09 PM »
Brady might only be a “system quarterback,” as his few critics claim, but the coach who devised that system made the playoffs (and usually won big in those playoffs) when he had Brady ... but is oh-fer without Brady.

Meanwhile, Brady’s gonna make the playoffs in a whole nother system with a sad-sack franchise.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: December 21, 2020, 07:34:50 PM »
Brady might only be a “system quarterback,” as his few critics claim, but the coach who devised that system made the playoffs (and usually won big in those playoffs) when he had Brady ... but is oh-fer without Brady.

Meanwhile, Brady’s gonna make the playoffs in a whole nother system with a sad-sack franchise.

I mean, he won 11 games with Matt Cassell and made history in not making the playoffs that year with their record. He also has a good record with Brissett and Jimmy G in their starts. This year he has a QB with a shot shoulder off major surgery and tons of hard miles in addition to the worst team the Pats have had in years outside of the QB position.

Meanwhile Brady has EASILY the best receiving core in the league, a likely Pro Bowler at RB, and an offensive minded HC who has covered up his failing arm and bad decision making. They aren’t riding his exceptional play to victory. Not quite apples to oranges

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1032 on: December 21, 2020, 07:39:14 PM »
I mean, he won 11 games with Matt Cassell and made history in not making the playoffs that year with their record. He also has a good record with Brissett and Jimmy G in their starts. This year he has a QB with a shot shoulder off major surgery and tons of hard miles in addition to the worst team the Pats have had in years outside of the QB position.

Meanwhile Brady has EASILY the best receiving core in the league, a likely Pro Bowler at RB, and an offensive minded HC who has covered up his failing arm and bad decision making. They aren’t riding his exceptional play to victory. Not quite apples to oranges

Also, I think a bunch of Patriot defensive starters opted out this year.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1033 on: December 21, 2020, 08:12:25 PM »

I would suggest that BB the GM has been the biggest problem.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: December 21, 2020, 09:42:11 PM »

I won't dispute any of that.

I was going to say I won't dispute all the facts in my post ... except I will. In looking up Belichick's record just now, I was reminded that he actually did make the playoffs once with a QB not named Brady. The 1994 Browns made the playoffs, and they won their first playoff game, over New England, with Vinny Testaverde at QB. So I sit corrected.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: December 22, 2020, 07:52:42 AM »
How 'bout the Steelers?

That went real bad real fast.

11-0 ... and then 0-3, with each loss worse than the one before.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: December 22, 2020, 08:00:33 AM »

Mostly correct. Unless both Seattle and NO lose Sunday and GB wins. Then the Bears game would be meaningless to GB. I would still expect GB to use their starters (at least for most of the game against Chi) as you don't want a 3 week layoff.

Packers would not need a Saints loss if they win, only Seattle.   Saints already have 4 losses and the Packers won head to head.

If Seattle loses to the Rams, the Packers can clinch the 1 seed Sunday night against the Titans.  And, as was said, the Packers get the 1 seed if they beat the Bears regardless of what else happens.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: December 22, 2020, 08:16:23 AM »
How 'bout the Steelers?

There has to be something wrong with Ben.  He looks shot.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: December 22, 2020, 08:19:02 AM »
How 'bout the Steelers?

If the Cleveland wins this week against the Jets and Pittsburgh loses this week against the Colts - neither of which would be particularly shocking - week 17 in Cleveland will be wild. The Browns and the Steelers will be tied and playing for the division title on the last day of the season. I hope the NFL would flex this game to Sunday night.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1039 on: December 22, 2020, 08:33:29 AM »

He's going to be 39 in 3 months and has been injured almost every year of his career.  It had to catch up with him eventually... just surprised his body has held out this long.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1040 on: December 22, 2020, 10:36:09 AM »

Ethanol and chasin' tail kinda duz dat after a bit, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: December 22, 2020, 10:38:50 AM »
He's going to be 39 in 3 months and has been injured almost every year of his career.  It had to catch up with him eventually... just surprised his body has held out this long.

Sure, but look at his stats early in the year versus the last couple games. It’s not just the defenses they were playing, he can’t throw a long ball and has no accuracy anymore. That wasn’t the case early in the season. It looks like he’s nursing something they haven’t disclosed. His arm is stiff and weak.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: December 22, 2020, 12:10:31 PM »
If the Cleveland wins this week against the Jets and Pittsburgh loses this week against the Colts - neither of which would be particularly shocking - week 17 in Cleveland will be wild. The Browns and the Steelers will be tied and playing for the division title on the last day of the season. I hope the NFL would flex this game to Sunday night.

In the olden days (such as all the way back to last season), this would have been a huge deal. But only the No. 1 seed gets a first-round bye this season, so it doesn't matter as much. Still, for the Browns to win the division after years of futility, for the Steelers to blow it after an 11-0 start, and for the Browns to beat the Steelers to make all that happen, yep, that would be something.

Was thinking the same. But ESPN is reporting that he doesn't want to retire after the season.

Cam Newton says he wants to keep playing, too, and his arm looks even more shot than Ben's.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1043 on: December 22, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »
Sure, but look at his stats early in the year versus the last couple games. It’s not just the defenses they were playing, he can’t throw a long ball and has no accuracy anymore. That wasn’t the case early in the season. It looks like he’s nursing something they haven’t disclosed. His arm is stiff and weak.

Without a running game the LBs are able to drop back making the intermediate passes more difficult.

They will be lucky to win one game in the playoffs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: December 24, 2020, 03:38:22 PM »
Lions requested their Saturday night game be moved to Sunday due to COVID.   Because Detroit, the league said no.   So most of the coaching staff will still be in quarantine and the Lions will be coached by assistants far down the food chain, none of whom having ever called plays in am NFL game.   It should be interesting to see how the line responds to this.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1045 on: December 24, 2020, 03:47:57 PM »
Lions requested their Saturday night game be moved to Sunday due to COVID.   Because Detroit, the league said no.   So most of the coaching staff will still be in quarantine and the Lions will be coached by assistants far down the food chain, none of whom having ever called plays in am NFL game.   It should be interesting to see how the line responds to this.

It certainly can't hurt, can it?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: December 24, 2020, 04:26:44 PM »
Should just let Stafford call his own plays.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1047 on: December 25, 2020, 08:32:24 AM »
They NFL has moved how many games around?   But when all Detroit asked was to play on Sunday so their coaches would be available.   One day.   Back to the regular day.   Detroit.

If Tampa had asked so Brady could be available...

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1048 on: December 25, 2020, 08:47:57 AM »
They NFL has moved how many games around?   But when all Detroit asked was to play on Sunday so their coaches would be available.   One day.   Back to the regular day.   Detroit.

If Tampa had asked so Brady could be available...

It’s because it’s a Saturday game in a dedicated time slot.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: December 25, 2020, 01:04:45 PM »
It’s because it’s a Saturday game in a dedicated time slot.

That, and the outbreak is controlled I assume. Similar to Denver having to use a WR at QB.

feedback