[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 245553 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #1000 on: December 20, 2020, 10:16:04 AM »
For the second straight week, Panthers coach publicly calls out Bridgewater for making boneheaded mistakes ...

“That (fumble) was emblematic. You talk about a dramatic shift, had he done that on fourth down, I can live with it, right. But just not on first down, especially when I thought we ran the ball well when we did run it tonight,” Rhule said. “That’s a principle of our team, we don’t reach the ball across the goal line until fourth down.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1001 on: December 20, 2020, 12:15:40 PM »
Unusual bad coaching by LeFluer.

Running at will for a quarter and a half and then he turns into Matt Nagy.

I’ve talked about it here before. LaFleur is one of the worst coaches I’ve seen with a lead (insert joke about being with the Falcons for the SB collapse). He and Rodgers go into cruise control so early, and it comes back to bite them. One thing that sets the Chiefs apart the last few years is the killer instinct to bury teams when they can.  The Packers seem to want to get 2 scores up and then glide.  They are good enough and fortunate enough to escape, but there is little reason they shouldn’t be putting up even more points. They have scored over 40 just 3 times, only once since week 3, but have had over 20 points in the first half in about 5-6 other games.

They are a very good team, LaFleur is a good coach and a good offensive mind, but he’s just inflicted with the gun shy conservatism that 90% of the coaches in the league seem to have the minute the 3rd quarter begins and they are ahead.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1002 on: December 20, 2020, 12:28:24 PM »
I’ve talked about it here before. LaFleur is one of the worst coaches I’ve seen with a lead (insert joke about being with the Falcons for the SB collapse). He and Rodgers go into cruise control so early, and it comes back to bite them. One thing that sets the Chiefs apart the last few years is the killer instinct to bury teams when they can.  The Packers seem to want to get 2 scores up and then glide.  They are good enough and fortunate enough to escape, but there is little reason they shouldn’t be putting up even more points. They have scored over 40 just 3 times, only once since week 3, but have had over 20 points in the first half in about 5-6 other games.

They are a very good team, LaFleur is a good coach and a good offensive mind, but he’s just inflicted with the gun shy conservatism that 90% of the coaches in the league seem to have the minute the 3rd quarter begins and they are ahead.

I don’t know about that at all. If your standard for “taking the foot off the gas” is, “well, they didn’t score 20+ in the second half like they did in the first!” Then yeah I guess. But that seems like a pretty absurd expectation. Scoring 20+ points in a half is not an easy thing to do in the NFL.

In 2 years how many times have the Packers blown a 2 score lead and lost? Colts this year. Otherwise his 6 other losses were either getting dominated from start to finish or tight games the whole way. It really hasn’t been a problem at all.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1003 on: December 20, 2020, 01:32:15 PM »
If you’re fine with “it was close but they still won” then ok. But the Jax and Carolina games had no business being one possession games late with no second half offense to speak of. The Philly game while a bit fluke, was close late cause they coasted. The Packers have been fortunate for the most part and got the job done, but letting mediocre teams hang around is a recipe for disaster in the NFL.  There is a difference between scoring 20 in the second half and scoring 3 or 7/8.

Again, LaFleur is a good coach and is a far cry from pathetic game management like Nagy or Lynn.  But it’s just a curious divergence from an offense that often comes out firing on all cylinders.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1004 on: December 20, 2020, 01:57:21 PM »
The problem was overcoaching. They built the big lead by running the ball early and often.

For some reason, that meant they had to change for the 2nd half.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1005 on: December 20, 2020, 04:28:01 PM »
If the Jets hang on today, I might get asked to play QB for the Pats in Week 17.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1006 on: December 20, 2020, 06:43:30 PM »
Jets can't even lose right!

Who has the tiebreaker between the Jets and Jags?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1007 on: December 20, 2020, 06:55:57 PM »

Jags right now are in the drivers seat.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1008 on: December 20, 2020, 07:48:19 PM »
REALLY excited for the Bears to finish 8-8 and Mitch playing moderately respectable the last few games. Resign Mitch, keep Nagy cause he finished with promise...and we can all ignore the Bears for the next 3 years as they chill in purgatory

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1009 on: December 20, 2020, 08:23:55 PM »
Patricia, the defensive savant, created the worst defense in the league.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1010 on: December 20, 2020, 08:46:27 PM »
REALLY excited for the Bears to finish 8-8 and Mitch playing moderately respectable the last few games. Resign Mitch, keep Nagy cause he finished with promise...and we can all ignore the Bears for the next 3 years as they chill in purgatory

The only saving grace would be if the Packers annihilate the Bears in Week 17.

There’s always been a high degree of meatball attitude in the McCaskey family. If three straight wins over bad/mediocre teams convinces them to bring the whole gang back. What would be hilarious is them franchising Mitch.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1011 on: December 21, 2020, 07:18:44 AM »

Mike McCarthy used to do the same thing.  Drives me absolutely insane. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1012 on: December 21, 2020, 08:47:43 AM »
If you’re fine with “it was close but they still won” then ok. But the Jax and Carolina games had no business being one possession games late with no second half offense to speak of. The Philly game while a bit fluke, was close late cause they coasted. The Packers have been fortunate for the most part and got the job done, but letting mediocre teams hang around is a recipe for disaster in the NFL.  There is a difference between scoring 20 in the second half and scoring 3 or 7/8.

Again, LaFleur is a good coach and is a far cry from pathetic game management like Nagy or Lynn.  But it’s just a curious divergence from an offense that often comes out firing on all cylinders.

I don't know.  I guess I just don't see it as a big deal, or see him "letting his foot off the gas too early" as being a trend.  Sure, they let some bad teams back door cover on them.  Does that concern me?  Not really.  Did you ever feel like the Packers were at a real risk of losing Saturday, or to the Jags, or to Philly?  I didn't.  If your team needs to A) get an onside kick, then score, then get a 2 point conversion, then win in overtime, or B) get a 3 and out and then drive 90 yards with 35 seconds and no timeouts and then get a 2 point conversion and then win in overtime, I'm not really concerned about losing in those situations.

In almost 2 seasons, I think LeFleur has lost a game he had the lead at any point twice (Colts and Bucs this year, and the lead was gone very quickly in the Bucs game).  Maybe one of the blowouts last year they scored first and then the blowout began?  But yeah, I just don't see this as a worrisome trend.  When the Packers have had the lead in the 2nd half of games, they've just about always won the game under LeFleur.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1013 on: December 21, 2020, 08:59:36 AM »
The Packers are first in the league in first half scoring.  They are also first in the league in drop off to second half scoring.  But they only drop down to 11th in second half scoring overall.  I am not sure this is a problem, and I am definitely not sure it is a case of letting off the gas.  I think it is a combination of teams making adjustments to an excellent initial game plan, and the Packers defense setting up so not as to give up big plays.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1014 on: December 21, 2020, 11:04:47 AM »
I was really shocked listening to WSCR this morning. Almost to a man, they are convinced Mitch has turned the corner.

Never once did I hear them mention that it has been against two of the absolute worst defenses in the league. And now they get Jacksonville.

Bears fans need to prepare to have Nagy and Trubisky around for a few more years.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1015 on: December 21, 2020, 11:24:10 AM »
I was really shocked listening to WSCR this morning. Almost to a man, they are convinced Mitch has turned the corner.

Never once did I hear them mention that it has been against two of the absolute worst defenses in the league. And now they get Jacksonville.

Bears fans need to prepare to have Nagy and Trubisky around for a few more years.

Yup

Seeing the offense/mitch succeed against bad defenses is some fool's gold.

However, the Oline and the playcalling does appear to be improved compared to earlier in the season. Injuries forced oline changes. And playcalls appear to favor individual strengths rather than trying to force any one style/scheme

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1016 on: December 21, 2020, 11:24:41 AM »
Well, they probably shouldn't have made a QB change when they were sitting at 3-0.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1017 on: December 21, 2020, 11:29:21 AM »
Well, they probably shouldn't have made a QB change when they were sitting at 3-0.

I truly believe that was more a conflict of style/personality than ability. I'm not convinced Nagy likes mitch or thinks he can be successful (at least within the system Nagy wants to use). If Nagy could get rid of Mitch while keeping his own job, he'd be able to get his preferred QB.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1018 on: December 21, 2020, 11:49:11 AM »

Sooooo....does Lawrence refuse to go to Jacksonville? I mean, they're an even more dysfunctional franchise than the Jets and probably won't be in Jacksonville within a few years.

Here's one for you 82, keep him in the Carolinas and have him force a trade to the Panthers.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1019 on: December 21, 2020, 12:40:40 PM »
Yup

Seeing the offense/mitch succeed against bad defenses is some fool's gold.

However, the Oline and the playcalling does appear to be improved compared to earlier in the season. Injuries forced oline changes. And playcalls appear to favor individual strengths rather than trying to force any one style/scheme

Isn’t the fact that the offensive line has improved an even bigger negative for Nagy? That he waited until the team was 10 games in before he made the personnel changes that led to the improvement? Those guys were there from the beginning of the season and he kept throwing Cowart out there every week?

These are the same guys who were anxious to get the human turnstyle (Jason Spriggs) back from injury so the O-line could improve.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1020 on: December 21, 2020, 02:18:19 PM »

2-0, they won the Falcons game after benching Trubisky.

Against the Lions in Week 1, he was 12-27 for 150 yards and a pick until the 4th quarter when the Lions do what they do and collapsed.  He also took a bad sack and fumbled that almost would have ended it if Leno didn’t fall on it.

In week 2, up 17-0 at halftime against a bad Giants team, Trubisky went 5-10 for 20 yards and 2 picks in the second half and they almost lost the game.

In that Falcons game, he was completely ineffective and threw another bad pick early in the 3rd quarter when they were already down 23-10 to a bad Falcons team before they made the switch and Foles lead the comeback.

The Bears were “undefeated” in spite of Trubisky. He had been mediocre at best before he was benched.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1021 on: December 21, 2020, 03:26:04 PM »
Truly a nightmare scenario for Bears fans.

Running into what may literally be the worst 4 defenses in the league in a row at the end of a disastrous season.

Look good the last month and keep Pace and Nagy. Sign Trubisky to a six year, $100+ million contract.

Too good to be true for us GB fans?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1022 on: December 21, 2020, 03:26:31 PM »
From what I’m hearing/seeing Thinking Pat Fitzgerald to the NFL this offseason may actually be a reality.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1023 on: December 21, 2020, 03:28:59 PM »
If I understand the NFL tiebreakers correctly, and I'm not sure I do, the Packers game against the Titans does not matter. Win or lose against the Titans, beating the Bears will guarantee the 1 seed and losing to the Bears will guarantee a 2 or 3 seed depending on the results of the Saints and Seahawks games (except for a very convoluted situation where the Packers/Saints/Seahawks go 0-2 and the Bucs/Rams go 1-1, letting the Packers keep the 1 seed at 11-5).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1024 on: December 21, 2020, 03:39:22 PM »
From what I’m hearing/seeing Thinking Pat Fitzgerald to the NFL this offseason may actually be a reality.

I really could understand if he wants to move on.  I am not sure what else he could accomplish at NW.

That being said, the history of coaches going from college to the NFL is obviously not very good.  Its even worse for coaches with zero NFL experience.  The only one I can think of, and is going into the WAY back machine, is Don Coryell.  And he succeeded because he was so damn innovative.

feedback