[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 246690 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #425 on: October 26, 2020, 10:32:07 AM »
I heard a great comp on the radio today for Kyler Murray.

Allen Iverson. Like Iverson, Murray has burst and speed that is apart from anyone else including Watson and Jackson.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #426 on: October 26, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »
Mertz is going to have a 3 year battle with caronavirus?  And then get drafted by an NFL team?

;D

Actually, though, it will be 2years if he develops into the QB they think he will be.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #427 on: October 26, 2020, 12:18:46 PM »
Mertz is going to have a 3 year battle with caronavirus?  And then get drafted by an NFL team?

Covid long-hauler. Then he's gonna resort to bleach and UV light injections and be miraculously cured.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #428 on: October 26, 2020, 01:21:54 PM »
I heard a great comp on the radio today for Kyler Murray.

Allen Iverson. Like Iverson, Murray has burst and speed that is apart from anyone else including Watson and Jackson.

Agreed, whoever came up with the comp is spot on. I have no idea how Murray does it, there's no way he's 5'10''. His rushing though is fantastic, and maybe it is because he's so short, but the angles he takes and the way he moves is like no other rusher (I'm not even talking just rushing QB's). He generally avoids hits, throws a pretty good deep ball. Just really fun to watch.

I'm glad Burrow and Hebert both look like superstars. I love watching NFL football, no matter who's playing, and games are so much more fun when more teams have star QB's. For a position that is the hardest in sports, and for certain teams (Bears, cough cough) that have a hard time finding true star QB's, the more star QB's there are, the better for football. That game last night was so much fun. That throw Wilson made to Lockett on 4th and goal in the 4th quarter, across the field to the back of the end zone...that throw and catch were perfect.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 02:01:49 PM by DegenerateDish »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #429 on: October 26, 2020, 01:27:07 PM »

Being a skill player in that offense sets you back about that long

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #430 on: October 26, 2020, 02:35:19 PM »
Agreed, whoever came up with the comp is spot on. I have no idea how Murray does it, there's no way he's 5'10''. His rushing though is fantastic, and maybe it is because he's so short, but the angles he takes and the way he moves is like no other rusher (I'm not even talking just rushing QB's). He generally avoids hits, throws a pretty good deep ball. Just really fun to watch.

I'm glad Burrow and Hebert both look like superstars. I love watching NFL football, no matter who's playing, and games are so much more fun when more teams have star QB's. For a position that is the hardest in sports, and for certain teams (Bears, cough cough) that have a hard time finding true star QB's, the more star QB's there are, the better for football. That game last night was so much fun. That throw Wilson made to Lockett on 4th and goal in the 4th quarter, across the field to the back of the end zone...that throw and catch were perfect.

IMO, not as good as his earlier deep pass to Lockett for the TD over the outstretched arms of Peterson. That throw was ridiculous.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #431 on: October 26, 2020, 02:55:25 PM »
IMO, not as good as his earlier deep pass to Lockett for the TD over the outstretched arms of Peterson. That throw was ridiculous.

Both were crazy great throws. I thought the one I picked was better (splitting hairs here) simply because of how Wilson had only 15 yards to drop a perfect dime in to Lockett, and it was across the field. The amount of room for error on these throws is next to nothing.

Not neglecting the receivers either here. Some of these catches where guys drag their tip toes, hold on to the ball while being blanket covered, next to the sidelines, it's ridiculous.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #432 on: October 26, 2020, 09:09:33 PM »
Bears are still frauds.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #433 on: October 26, 2020, 09:56:26 PM »
Both were crazy great throws. I thought the one I picked was better (splitting hairs here) simply because of how Wilson had only 15 yards to drop a perfect dime in to Lockett, and it was across the field. The amount of room for error on these throws is next to nothing.

Not neglecting the receivers either here. Some of these catches where guys drag their tip toes, hold on to the ball while being blanket covered, next to the sidelines, it's ridiculous.

It’s amazing how Lockett has went from a burner deep threat to a legit discussion as a top 10 WR. He’s just remarkable with his footwork.

As for the Bears, Trestman was a joke but I’ve not hated a coach like I hate Nagy. His arrogance and baffling game mismanagement is just something else.  Just went turnover on downs from 1st and goal from inside the 5 and never once looked to Robinson. Just a joke

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #434 on: October 27, 2020, 07:36:04 AM »
Hot take...right now the Cowboys are the worst team in the NFL.
You haven't seen the Jets yet, have you?  They did lose by single digits Sunday (18-10) for the first time this season, so I suppose that is something to build on.  Their point differential is 50 points worse than the next worse team.  Cowboys are dreadful, though.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #435 on: October 27, 2020, 07:45:07 AM »
What is bad about the Cowboys IMO is that the strength of that team just a couple of years ago, the offensive line, has gotten old and hurt quickly, and the replacements aren't there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #436 on: October 27, 2020, 08:45:14 AM »
You haven't seen the Jets yet, have you?  They did lose by single digits Sunday (18-10) for the first time this season, so I suppose that is something to build on.  Their point differential is 50 points worse than the next worse team.  Cowboys are dreadful, though.

Last 20 games record:

Jets 7-13
Cowboys 7-13

One of the Jets 7 wins...versus Dallas.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #437 on: October 27, 2020, 09:28:08 AM »

Ahem, as one of the few Jets fans here, I cannot let this stand.  They also lost by 9 to Denver.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #438 on: October 27, 2020, 10:39:32 AM »
Ahem, as one of the few Jets fans here, I cannot let this stand.  They also lost by 9 to Denver.

Do you get to play the Bears this year?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #439 on: October 27, 2020, 10:56:45 AM »
Wow, a fellow sufferer.  I stand corrected.  I guess this past Sunday was merely the first time they finished a game within a single score of their opponent.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #440 on: October 27, 2020, 01:31:19 PM »
You think Nagy is innovative?

I was wrong. You are right.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #441 on: October 27, 2020, 02:21:02 PM »
I was wrong. You are right.

I’m not here to defend Nagy, but he doesn’t have much to work with.  Kmet looks like a dude and ARob can play but the rest of the skill players aren’t very good, especially the QB
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #442 on: October 27, 2020, 02:38:54 PM »
Wow, a fellow sufferer.  I stand corrected.  I guess this past Sunday was merely the first time they finished a game within a single score of their opponent.

Accurate.  And yes, the stat I had heard was the first single-possession game result.  Sadly.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #443 on: October 27, 2020, 03:16:50 PM »
In Nagy's 40 games as head coach, the Bears have scored above 21 points a total of 16 times. If you take away defensive scores, and go just with the offense, that number goes down to 12 times in 40 games that the offense has scored above 21 points.

I may have been the Neil Armstrong/Rosa Parks of the "Nagy is a fraud" club. Some of you old timers on this board will recall me calling him a fraud during his first season (when he won NFL Head Coach of the Year). There were things I just saw with my eye test that led me to believe he is a poor play caller and designer of offensive schemes. Nagy is like a bad blackjack player. He'll split 10's against a dealer holding 6 one hand, and the next four hands, he'll hit on 16 against a 4.

I haven't forgotten about his boss, Ryan Pace either. I'll give Pace some credit, he's done a good/decent job on the defensive side of the ball. More hits than misses there. But the below is really, really bad.

Since Pace took over in 2015, his offensive draft picks for the first three rounds:
2015 - Kevin White, 7th overall, next WR taken Devante Parker (White is out of football)
2015 - Hroniss Grasu, next C taken Shaq Mason

2016 - Cody Whitehair - No issue, he's been solid

2017 - Trubisky - Traded up one spot and also sent 2017 3rd, 4th, 2018 3rd (!!!)
2017 - Adam Shaheen (45th overall), next TE taken Jonnu Smith
The #67 pick, that the Bears traded to SF (then got traded to NO) was Alvin Kamara

2018 - James Daniels #39 overall - he's ok, but Courtland Sutton was the next pick, which leads to...
2018 - Anthony Miller #51 overall - Pace trades a 2018 4th rounder and 2019 2nd rounder here. Between the Bears pick at 39 and 51, wideouts taken are Sutton, Christian Kirk, Dante Pettis. The 2nd round pick the Bears give up ends up being Mecole Hardman. Awful, awful, awful.

2019 - David Montgomery #73 overall - Pace trades up, also picks up a 6th rounder, but swaps the third round with NE, and sends a 5th rounder and 2020 4th rounder

Over his tenure, Pace's has traded up three times. Discounting the same round swaps, he's surrendered the following: 2nd round pick, two 3rd round picks, two 4th round picks, and a 5th round pick for Trubisky (DNP last night, 5th year option not picked up), Miller (averaging 3 receptions and 29 yards a game...a guy who's teammates voted him "Most Likely to Show Up Late For Practice"), and Montgomery (Bears currently dead last in the NFL in rushing yards).

In his six seasons, Pace never uses a pick in the first three rounds on an offensive tackle. Instead he's paying Bobbie Massie top ten tackle money and Charles Leno Jr top half of the league tackle money.

The McCaskey's won't do it, because they are by no means progressive, but everyone should go. To say the Bears are frauds this year is complimenting fraudlent people everywhere.

Burn it to the ground already, enough is enough from both Nagy and Pace.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #444 on: October 27, 2020, 03:41:07 PM »
In Nagy's 40 games as head coach, the Bears have scored above 21 points a total of 16 times. If you take away defensive scores, and go just with the offense, that number goes down to 12 times in 40 games that the offense has scored above 21 points.

I may have been the Neil Armstrong/Rosa Parks of the "Nagy is a fraud" club. Some of you old timers on this board will recall me calling him a fraud during his first season (when he won NFL Head Coach of the Year). There were things I just saw with my eye test that led me to believe he is a poor play caller and designer of offensive schemes. Nagy is like a bad blackjack player. He'll split 10's against a dealer holding 6 one hand, and the next four hands, he'll hit on 16 against a 4.

I haven't forgotten about his boss, Ryan Pace either. I'll give Pace some credit, he's done a good/decent job on the defensive side of the ball. More hits than misses there. But the below is really, really bad.

Since Pace took over in 2015, his offensive draft picks for the first three rounds:
2015 - Kevin White, 7th overall, next WR taken Devante Parker (White is out of football)
2015 - Hroniss Grasu, next C taken Shaq Mason

2016 - Cody Whitehair - No issue, he's been solid

2017 - Trubisky - Traded up one spot and also sent 2017 3rd, 4th, 2018 3rd (!!!)
2017 - Adam Shaheen (45th overall), next TE taken Jonnu Smith
The #67 pick, that the Bears traded to SF (then got traded to NO) was Alvin Kamara

2018 - James Daniels #39 overall - he's ok, but Courtland Sutton was the next pick, which leads to...
2018 - Anthony Miller #51 overall - Pace trades a 2018 4th rounder and 2019 2nd rounder here. Between the Bears pick at 39 and 51, wideouts taken are Sutton, Christian Kirk, Dante Pettis. The 2nd round pick the Bears give up ends up being Mecole Hardman. Awful, awful, awful.

2019 - David Montgomery #73 overall - Pace trades up, also picks up a 6th rounder, but swaps the third round with NE, and sends a 5th rounder and 2020 4th rounder

Over his tenure, Pace's has traded up three times. Discounting the same round swaps, he's surrendered the following: 2nd round pick, two 3rd round picks, two 4th round picks, and a 5th round pick for Trubisky (DNP last night, 5th year option not picked up), Miller (averaging 3 receptions and 29 yards a game...a guy who's teammates voted him "Most Likely to Show Up Late For Practice"), and Montgomery (Bears currently dead last in the NFL in rushing yards).

In his six seasons, Pace never uses a pick in the first three rounds on an offensive tackle. Instead he's paying Bobbie Massie top ten tackle money and Charles Leno Jr top half of the league tackle money.

The McCaskey's won't do it, because they are by no means progressive, but everyone should go. To say the Bears are frauds this year is complimenting fraudlent people everywhere.

Burn it to the ground already, enough is enough from both Nagy and Pace.

Appreciate the info, Dish.

Do you still have any contacts in chicago? What's the talk inside Halas Hall?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #445 on: October 27, 2020, 03:46:41 PM »
Great post, Dish.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #446 on: October 27, 2020, 03:47:54 PM »
Appreciate the info, Dish.

Do you still have any contacts in chicago? What's the talk inside Halas Hall?

No, my time there was 20 years ago now, and the guys/gals I worked with are now either gone or retired. I'd imagine inside Halas Hall the kook aid is being drunk on their 5-2 record, but anyone with a set of eyes knows this is not a 5-2 team. The next two weeks should be rough, Sean Payton hasn't lost to the Bears since 2008, and I'd imagine Derrick Henry will run circles through the Bears in two weeks.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #447 on: October 27, 2020, 03:49:59 PM »
If D'Andre Swift holds on to that pass on the goal line, the narrative of two teams changes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #448 on: October 27, 2020, 04:42:33 PM »
No, my time there was 20 years ago now, and the guys/gals I worked with are now either gone or retired. I'd imagine inside Halas Hall the kook aid is being drunk on their 5-2 record, but anyone with a set of eyes knows this is not a 5-2 team. The next two weeks should be rough, Sean Payton hasn't lost to the Bears since 2008, and I'd imagine Derrick Henry will run circles through the Bears in two weeks.

Typo? Or Freudian slip?

Ya. Bears defense appears to be built around stopping the pass/rushing the QB. Not well-positioned for a team whose offense can't put up tons of points.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #449 on: October 27, 2020, 06:27:44 PM »
DEAD ON, NAILED IT POST

You established a beachhead on Nagy early and never waivered, kudos. I fought you on it cause I was refreshed to see some “modern” wrinkles in the offense and in general some promising signs after the moribund end of the Lovie tenure and dumpster fire which was John Fox.  But Nagy has taken this team to a place where my desire to watch them is more in line with a 2-3 win mess of a team, not a team that’s finishing with 8-9 wins.

Nagy’s arrogance and stubbornness is what grinds on me. See what McVay and the Rams do with Robert Woods running the ball? It’s usually well timed and schemed (fumble for TD not withstanding) and it’s pretty effective. Contrast that with Nagy running Patterson. Starting him in a single back position, running him between the F-ing tackles, or slow sideways stretch runs, just terrible. Hell, the 4th down run that got completely and utterly stuffed yesterday? He already tried that same play with Patterson early in the season with the same damn result. Couple that with terrible game management like coaching scared and not calling a TO in the first half and you get a joke of a HC.

Also, there is no way it was a “miscommunication” between Griese and Foles when Foles told him he knew certain play calls wouldn’t work before they were ran cause of timing. That was CYA by Foles for saying too much. More classic Nagy “smartest guy in the room who is actually not that smart” nonsense

Ya. Bears defense appears to be built around stopping the pass/rushing the QB. Not well-positioned for a team whose offense can't put up tons of points.

It’s also why you see a great defense start to fold in certain games. They run out of gas/generally get demotivated when the offense isn’t helping drive their pass rush.  It’s beyond frustrating to watch.

feedback