[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 254001 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #1675 on: January 20, 2021, 08:00:42 PM »
Packers apparently signing Tramon Williams.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #1676 on: January 20, 2021, 08:17:17 PM »
Why did Czar Nicolas keep Rasputin around? Who knows?

Happy wife, happy life.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1677 on: January 20, 2021, 08:30:55 PM »
Packers apparently signing Tramon Williams.
Hmmm, what's Charles Woodson doing?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1678 on: January 20, 2021, 11:03:15 PM »
How do you get that job exactly? Get paid a small fortune, to not think, but just blurt out the most absurd thoughts.

I'm pretty sure I'm qualified for that, where can I sign up?

Apply to Scoop as they have moderator spots open.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1679 on: January 21, 2021, 12:07:07 AM »
Apply to Scoop as they have moderator spots open.

Dare to dream....

• All American
« Reply #1680 on: January 21, 2021, 07:19:09 AM »
Hmmm, what's Charles Woodson doing?

I will forever have a soft spot for Tramon.  My one and only unrealistic called shot was his INT return against the Falcons in the playoffs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1681 on: January 21, 2021, 07:46:36 AM »
No wonder Brees couldn't throw deep.   Played all year with a torn rotator cuff.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1682 on: January 21, 2021, 08:01:11 AM »
No wonder Brees couldn't throw deep.   Played all year with a torn rotator cuff.

The man had a pretty good year for playing with a torn rotator cuff, torn fascia in his foot, and then suffering 11 fractured ribs and a collapsed lung.

The guy is a legend. This is impressive.

Also, this is partially why Brady left NE, and went to TB. His only chance to have success is to be on a team that can keep him upright. NE's line wasn't going to cut it, TB had one of the best O-lines in the league. At their ages, they aren't mobile enough to avoid being hit, and can't take the hits.

• All American
« Reply #1683 on: January 21, 2021, 08:44:24 AM »
Did Brees really give them the best chance to win with a torn rotator cuff?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1684 on: January 21, 2021, 08:45:14 AM »
Fluffy beat me to it.      The question is whether or not a younger, more mobile quarterback with normal arm strength would have served that team better.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1685 on: January 21, 2021, 08:53:15 AM »

The honest answer is no
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1686 on: January 21, 2021, 09:07:52 AM »
Fluffy beat me to it.      The question is whether or not a younger, more mobile quarterback with normal arm strength would have served that team better.

That quarterback couldn't beat out a TE for starter QB minutes when Brees was out.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1687 on: January 21, 2021, 09:08:03 AM »

Nope that would be Jameis.  (Taysom fans don't @ me).  But benching Drew Brees for Jameis Winston midseason in a year that ends in anything less than a super bowl win cuts years off a coach's career.

• All American
« Reply #1688 on: January 21, 2021, 09:16:38 AM »
Nope that would be Jameis.  (Taysom fans don't @ me).  But benching Drew Brees for Jameis Winston midseason in a year that ends in anything less than a super bowl win cuts years off a coach's career.

You think the Saints would have fired Sean Payton for that?  Highly doubtful.

My guess is that Payton was going down swinging with his guy no matter what.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1689 on: January 21, 2021, 09:35:36 AM »

You think the Saints would have fired Sean Payton for that?  Highly doubtful.

My guess is that Payton was going down swinging with his guy no matter what.

Certainly not immediately, no.  But then Brees retires, New Orleans flails for a year or two trying to figure out if Jameis the answer or to draft a guy or whatever, and I think in the long run it goes on the pile of things that costs Payton an extra year or two to figure it out.  I'm more just saying that no one is going to really question Payton riding or dying with Brees, and he'd be putting himself out there to bench him for a not particularly popular Jameis Winston.

And in Payton's defense, who knows the vibe of the locker room, etc. There could be a bunch of soft reasons that sticking with a bruised and battered Brees was the right answer.  I don't blame him necessarily, but from a hard football skills standpoint, Jameis absolutely would have raised the offense's ceiling.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1690 on: January 21, 2021, 09:37:22 AM »

They had no chance to win with an injured Brees. People in TB (and I) would say they had no chance to win with Winston, either.

• All American
« Reply #1691 on: January 21, 2021, 09:37:48 AM »
Certainly not immediately, no.  But then Brees retires, New Orleans flails for a year or two trying to figure out if Jameis the answer or to draft a guy or whatever, and I think in the long run it goes on the pile of things that costs Payton an extra year or two to figure it out.  I'm more just saying that no one is going to really question Payton riding or dying with Brees, and he'd be putting himself out there to bench him for a not particularly popular Jameis Winston.

If Jameis doesn't work in the next couple of years, Payton could be out regardless.  I don't think this one decision would have any bearing on that.

And in Payton's defense, who knows the vibe of the locker room, etc. There could be a bunch of soft reasons that sticking with a bruised and battered Brees was the right answer.  I don't blame him necessarily, but from a hard football skills standpoint, Jameis absolutely would have raised the offense's ceiling.

I get that.  And that is why I think he was just sticking with him regardless.

• All American
« Reply #1692 on: January 21, 2021, 09:38:40 AM »
They had no chance to win with an injured Brees. People in TB (and I) would say they had no chance to win with Winston, either.

Eh.  Higher ceiling, lower floor.  If your QB can't throw the ball 20 yards down the field, you aren't going very far.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1693 on: January 21, 2021, 10:21:32 AM »

Eh.  Higher ceiling, lower floor.  If your QB can't throw the ball 20 yards down the field, you aren't going very far.

Brees still had a RTG of 106.4. No one on the NO roster can put up that type of efficiency with the lineup they put on the field this year. Thomas injured all year, and would have been on IR if it wasn't Brees last year.

They didn't have an O-line that could provide enough time for people to get open down field, and didn't have the receivers to do it either. Despite that, Brees put up the 6th best RTG amongst QBs. Better than Brady (102.2), and his TD long of the year (52 yards) also exceeded that of Brady (50 yards).

Brady couldn't through a TD longer than 50 yards with arguably the best receiver lineup in the league and one designed for a deep ball, all while behind one of the best offensive lines in the league.

This criticism of Brees and glorification of Brady isn't supported by data. Brees and Brady are both well past their prime, their long TDs of the year are amongst the worst in the league. But, their efficiency still makes them far far better options than their replacements.

Swap teams and give Brees the TB O-line and receiving corps, and give Brady the Saints. And Brees wins. That doesn't mean Brees is better than Brady or vice versa. It just means your actual team and the entirety of the situation matters a heck of a lot more than people think.

The idea that the Saints were better with Winston is nonsense. It would be equally nonsense to say they would be better without Thomas, who was also playing way below ability due to injuries.

• All American
« Reply #1694 on: January 21, 2021, 10:35:09 AM »
Brees still had a RTG of 106.4. No one on the NO roster can put up that type of efficiency with the lineup they put on the field this year. Thomas injured all year, and would have been on IR if it wasn't Brees last year.

They didn't have an O-line that could provide enough time for people to get open down field, and didn't have the receivers to do it either. Despite that, Brees put up the 6th best RTG amongst QBs. Better than Brady (102.2), and his TD long of the year (52 yards) also exceeded that of Brady (50 yards).

Brady couldn't through a TD longer than 50 yards with arguably the best receiver lineup in the league and one designed for a deep ball, all while behind one of the best offensive lines in the league.

This criticism of Brees and glorification of Brady isn't supported by data. Brees and Brady are both well past their prime, their long TDs of the year are amongst the worst in the league. But, their efficiency still makes them far far better options than their replacements.

Swap teams and give Brees the TB O-line and receiving corps, and give Brady the Saints. And Brees wins. That doesn't mean Brees is better than Brady or vice versa. It just means your actual team and the entirety of the situation matters a heck of a lot more than people think.

The idea that the Saints were better with Winston is nonsense. It would be equally nonsense to say they would be better without Thomas, who was also playing way below ability due to injuries.

I didn't compare to Brady.  I also didn't say they were better.  I said they they had a higher ceiling and lower floor with Winston, which is undoubtedly true. If a QB can't throw the ball 20 yards downfield, they can't manage the game when they fall behind.  Which is exactly what happened.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1695 on: January 21, 2021, 10:53:26 AM »

You’re point is correct. The problem is that when Jamie’s threw it more than 20 yards, it was often to the wrong team. That’s why Hill started when Brees was hurt.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1696 on: January 21, 2021, 11:09:00 AM »
RIP Ted Thompson. Passed away last night per Silverstein. Lots of frustration with his team building but he did draft Rodgers and got GB a super bowl.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1697 on: January 21, 2021, 11:13:42 AM »
You’re point is correct. The problem is that when Jamie’s threw it more than 20 yards, it was often to the wrong team. That’s why Hill started when Brees was hurt.

There was a very small chance they were coming back against TB if Jameis is inserted into the game. I doubt he would have been the difference. But everyone could see there was zero chance they were coming back with Brees.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1698 on: January 21, 2021, 11:18:12 AM »
RIP Ted Thompson. Passed away last night per Silverstein. Lots of frustration with his team building but he did draft Rodgers and got GB a super bowl.

Yup. He definitely had his process and it lead to the Packers being very good for a long time.

Very sad.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1699 on: January 21, 2021, 11:40:30 AM »
Yup. He definitely had his process and it lead to the Packers being very good for a long time.

Very sad.

I think history will look back at Ted Thompson quite fondly. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback