[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Billy Donovan - Out as Thunder Head Coach  (Read 18781 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Billy Donovan - Out as Thunder Head Coach
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2020, 05:43:54 PM »
What if Iona hadn't reached out to Pitino? I know he hasn't done anything yet, but do you think a bunch of people were on their board about funds etc? No you reach out to the best available.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2020, 05:47:00 PM »
What if Iona hadn't reached out to Pitino? I know he hasn't done anything yet, but do you think a bunch of people were on their board about funds etc? No you reach out to the best available.

Some might suggest Billy Donovan's current situation is vastly different than that of Rick Pitino.
Oh ... and Iona had a job opening
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:53:56 PM by Pakuni »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2020, 05:51:02 PM »

If Donovan had the baggage Pitino does, then funds aren’t an issue.  They also had the bonus of Cluess “resigning” and Pitino willing to take less.

Listen, make the call.  It’s a ridiculous argument anyway you slice it.  He’s not coming to Marquette when it has been reported he wants to stay in the NBA.  And if he has the desire to comeback to college, why this year with so much uncertainty?  If he comes back to college, he can pick his job. 

It’s bizarre people are arguing about this but it’s a bizarre time.  If people are genuinely going to get upset about Bill Scholl not calling him today, I don’t know what to tell you.

Edit: Also, if they had fired Wojo and hired Pitino, I’d have been all for it.  Same with Billy but the two aren’t comparable
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2020, 06:04:17 PM »
But it's totally cool and ethical for coaches under contract to be talking to other schools behind the scenes?

Got it.  Once again you, Pakuni, BLM/Wades illustrate how much you struggle with real world reality.

This is the Big Leagues/business.  Wojo is paid millions, we invest millions.  ROI hasn't been there after 6 years.

Any A.D., at a school spending Top 10 in College Hoop Budget (who's coach hasn't won an NCAA tournament game after 6 years on the job) should make the call and inquire.

Real world reality?  We're talking about trying to hire a coach who will have no less than 10 NBA franchises at least gaging his interest, to go along with all but maybe 5 college programs that would drop everything for him, and we think the guy would take a call from Marquette University?

And I'm the one struggling with real world reality?

LOL!

Never change Ners.  Well, I mean, change your username when you're permabanned for the 6th time.  But please come back!  I can't get enough of your entertainment.  You're too "real" for me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2020, 07:22:15 PM »
Eye'm gonna put a Post It note on Woj's front door tomorrow dat sum Scoopers are advocatin' four his nappy ass ta get chit kanned, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »
Eye'm gonna put a Post It note on Woj's front door tomorrow dat sum Scoopers are advocatin' four his nappy ass ta get chit kanned, hey?

Well now we found out who the leak is....

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2020, 09:50:27 AM »
Real world reality?  We're talking about trying to hire a coach who will have no less than 10 NBA franchises at least gaging his interest, to go along with all but maybe 5 college programs that would drop everything for him, and we think the guy would take a call from Marquette University?

And I'm the one struggling with real world reality?

LOL!

Never change Ners.  Well, I mean, change your username when you're permabanned for the 6th time.  But please come back!  I can't get enough of your entertainment.  You're too "real" for me.

No wonder you like Wojo so much...you have chicken little expectations of Marquette University.  Why do you think so little of MU/MU Hoops?

Guys like you clearly live in safe spaces due to ego fragility.  Too afraid to lose.  Too afraid to be rejected.  Living life as a wallflower.   

So what if Donovan doesn't take MU's call?  Maybe he doesn't.  Maybe he does.  It's making an f'ing phone call/feeler to try to improve your program "business." 

BTW - I think MU Hoops is a Top 20 program/job.  Let's face it, your wonder boy, Wojo, apparently was waiting for the ideal job to present itself...

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2020, 09:51:36 AM »
Shhhh, these 3-5 experts know everything.   Just ask them, they'll tell you.

True.  We shall stand down.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2020, 09:55:49 AM »
You all realize that MDDG has no belief that Billy Donovan is coming to MU and was just trying to start a projo vs. nojo debate, right?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:16:02 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2020, 11:57:07 AM »
No wonder you like Wojo so much...you have chicken little expectations of Marquette University.  Why do you think so little of MU/MU Hoops?

Guys like you clearly live in safe spaces due to ego fragility.  Too afraid to lose.  Too afraid to be rejected.  Living life as a wallflower.   

So what if Donovan doesn't take MU's call?  Maybe he doesn't.  Maybe he does.  It's making an f'ing phone call/feeler to try to improve your program "business." 

BTW - I think MU Hoops is a Top 20 program/job.  Let's face it, your wonder boy, Wojo, apparently was waiting for the ideal job to present itself...

I live in reality. You don’t.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2020, 05:50:46 AM »
The only phone call from a 414 area code Billy Donovan is answering is from the Bucks.  I'd love to see his laughter if Marquette left him a voicemail (because again, there is a 0.000000% chance he answers a phone call from Marquette University) seeing if he'd have any interest in their basketball coaching position.

But heck.  Let's get on the phone with Brad Stevens while we're at it.  He was a slightly less successful college coach.  Maybe he wants back in.

Nah, why would we want a mid-major guy? 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2020, 09:26:03 AM »
Let's face it, this is a business.  In the business world, I interview 2-3 extremely high level candidates per year - even when I have no job openings - just to be sure that the team I have is the best I can get.  If I find a good one from these interviews, even if I have no openings, I make sure my company hires him or her somewhere.  When I find someone really good, I find a way to get them on my team. 

Sometimes it takes 2-3 years to get them, by the way...

It's all about how you do it.  It's never on premises, it's never discussed.  In most cases, HR doesn't even know (they would leak).

So, should MU interview Donovan?   Heck yes... but on the QT, and none of us nor any of the current staff should ever know.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »
Let's face it, this is a business.  In the business world, I interview 2-3 extremely high level candidates per year - even when I have no job openings - just to be sure that the team I have is the best I can get.  If I find a good one from these interviews, even if I have no openings, I make sure my company hires him or her somewhere.  When I find someone really good, I find a way to get them on my team. 

Sometimes it takes 2-3 years to get them, by the way...

It's all about how you do it.  It's never on premises, it's never discussed.  In most cases, HR doesn't even know (they would leak).

So, should MU interview Donovan?   Heck yes... but on the QT, and none of us nor any of the current staff should ever know.

This is a poor analogy on a number of levels.  There is one head coach.  He wouldn't be joining a "team."  He would be the head coach.

Second, why would he interview for a job that isn't open?  Why would he have any interest in Marquette anyway?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2020, 09:52:56 AM »

This is a poor analogy on a number of levels.  There is one head coach.  He wouldn't be joining a "team."  He would be the head coach.

Second, why would he interview for a job that isn't open?  Why would he have any interest in Marquette anyway?

Dont know if you dont ask.

So many responses in this thread just show how little the scoop intelligentsia actually knows about the real world and how things are done in the business world.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2020, 09:58:49 AM »

So many responses in this thread just show how little the scoop intelligentsia actually knows about the real world and how things are done in the business world.

ZiggysContrarianBoy out in full force again.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2020, 09:59:52 AM »

LOL...sure.

I mean, do you think Scholl reached out to Donovan's people?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2020, 10:03:17 AM »
I live in reality. You don’t.

Doesn't surprise you are an aim low kind of guy Wades/BLM - probably have dealt with consistent rejection in your life.  Why is it you have such a low opinion of the Marquette head coaching job? 

Does the Al McGuire center suck?

Does Fiserv suck?

Does the Big East Conference suck?

Does our budget/spend for Men's basketball suck?

Does our fan support/attendance suck?

Does Milwaukee suck?  (Gainsville Florida is an okay place, due to warmer weather, yet nor sure it's a better city than Milwaukee...or Oklahoma City for that matter.)

Just trying to understand why a passionate MU Hoops fan wouldn't even make a call to a coach of Donovan's caliber? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2020, 10:27:08 AM »

Hope you've made your daily calls to Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and others to see if they'd be interesting in running your company.

Hey, they haven't said "No" yet, have they?

I have so much to learn about how the "real world" and "business" world work.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2020, 10:30:49 AM »
Doesn't surprise you are an aim low kind of guy Wades/BLM - probably have dealt with consistent rejection in your life.  Why is it you have such a low opinion of the Marquette head coaching job? 

Does the Al McGuire center suck?

Does Fiserv suck?

Does the Big East Conference suck?

Does our budget/spend for Men's basketball suck?

Does our fan support/attendance suck?

Does Milwaukee suck?  (Gainsville Florida is an okay place, due to warmer weather, yet nor sure it's a better city than Milwaukee...or Oklahoma City for that matter.)

Just trying to understand why a passionate MU Hoops fan wouldn't even make a call to a coach of Donovan's caliber?

Aren’t you the one who cried on Scoop about having to live in the low life black community where fathers aren’t around, buildings smell like piss and weed, and people shouldn’t be having kids because your business failed?

Maybe you should actually live in reality.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2020, 10:33:22 AM »
The people who believe Billy Donovan would choose Marquette (and MU could afford him) are those who've labeled themselves the Realists of Scoop.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2020, 10:37:12 AM »
It's amazing that this thread got to three pages. It's amazing there is a thread on this at all. 

So let me get this straight: 

Some of you on here think that Billy Donovan, who just finished 3rd in the NBA Coach of the Year voting, and turned down an extension to stay with his current NBA coaching job, did that so he could go back to college and coach at Marquette?  Seriously? You don't think that he did that because there are 3 or 4 NBA openings that are potentially better jobs, and that he'd be the lead candidate for?

Are you the same guys who think that Brad Stevens is going to leave the Boston Celtics and take the Duke job when K retires?  Do you realize that pretty much every NBA job is significantly better than every single college job?  Has any coach EVER purposefully left an NBA job that he was successful at in order to go down a level to coach in college?  I don't mean guys that were fired and had no pro options going to colllege out of neccessity (Pitino, Floyd, Montgomery, etc)

Some of you guys just need to think sometimes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2020, 10:40:57 AM »
I'm going to go on record and say that Billy Donovan will not be the coach of any college program for the 2020-2021 season.

Is anyone really asserting that this will end up being a false statement?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »
Has any coach EVER purposefully left an NBA job that he was successful at in order to go down a level to coach in college? 

That's only because athletic directors don't know how things work in the real world and simply never asked.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2020, 10:46:50 AM »
It's amazing that this thread got to three pages. It's amazing there is a thread on this at all. 

So let me get this straight: 

Some of you on here think that Billy Donovan, who just finished 3rd in the NBA Coach of the Year voting, and turned down an extension to stay with his current NBA coaching job, did that so he could go back to college and coach at Marquette?  Seriously? You don't think that he did that because there are 3 or 4 NBA openings that are potentially better jobs, and that he'd be the lead candidate for?

Are you the same guys who think that Brad Stevens is going to leave the Boston Celtics and take the Duke job when K retires?  Do you realize that pretty much every NBA job is significantly better than every single college job?  Has any coach EVER purposefully left an NBA job that he was successful at in order to go down a level to coach in college?  I don't mean guys that were fired and had no pro options going to colllege out of neccessity (Pitino, Floyd, Montgomery, etc)

Some of you guys just need to think sometimes.

I mean, there is a selection of folks here that believe there is a cabal of child snatchers in Hollywood that drink their blood to gain life preserving powers (I think this is how this goes)... So I guess you could say, yes, there are delusional half wits that inhabit parts of this message board.

Sorry in advance.

feedback