[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Billy Donovan - Out as Thunder Head Coach  (Read 18777 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Billy Donovan - Out as Thunder Head Coach
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2020, 11:41:06 AM »
Source?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/04/03/buzz-williams-reportedly-leaving-virginia-tech-texas-am/%3foutputType=amp

Then your analogy doesn't work, because Marquette does have a wife and kids (Wojo, assistant coaches, players, recruits) back home. And they won't be thrilled to learn that their spouse is out at parties trying to hook up with other coaches while they're back taking care of business home.

Maybe I'm just frustrated that it seems like it's viewed as ok for the wife (wojo) to court other suitors, the kids (players, assistants) to court other suitors, but if dad (MU) does it then we have to be terrified about the optics.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2020, 11:46:31 AM »
So it's cool if he sniffs around other openings but we can't? He can either be an adult walk into the AD's office and say "I'll step up my game and not take calls from VATech" or be a whinny child about it because he wants to be able to have all the cards and treated like royalty without having earned it.

There's a difference between taking a call and making a call.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2020, 11:47:39 AM »
I'm thinking MU should take this approach.

Billy Donovan hired for the head coaching position that isn't open.  Brad Stevens comes on as his associate head coach.  Chris Beard and Tony Bennett assistant coaches.  Kelvin Sampson DOBO.

Sound good?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2020, 11:48:07 AM »
Maybe I'm just frustrated that it seems like it's viewed as ok for the wife (wojo) to court other suitors, the kids (players, assistants) to court other suitors, but if dad (MU) does it then we have to be terrified about the optics.

People are acting like Wojo and the AD are are setting up conference calls to offer a job or ask for a job.  There are ways to do this on both sides, including using third parties, to find out more facts and the desires of potential candidates that won't result in the 'trust breaking', 'recruiting destroying' hyperbole being thrown about.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2020, 11:51:35 AM »
People are acting like Wojo and the AD are are setting up conference calls to offer a job or ask for a job.  There are ways to do this on both sides, including using third parties, to find out more facts and the desires of potential candidates that won't result in the 'trust breaking', 'recruiting destroying' hyperbole being thrown about.

Thank you.

Billy Donovan hired for the head coaching position that isn't open.  Brad Stevens comes on as his associate head coach.  Chris Beard and Tony Bennett assistant coaches.  Kelvin Sampson DOBO.

Sound good?

This is more idiotic than anything I've said on this thread. I'm getting crucified for suggesting literally a feeler call To a recently fired coach that went to a school not so different than MU is worth the 5 minutes and you equate that to we can hire currently employed coaches, who've won a ton at their current jobs, one who's still coaching this year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2020, 11:54:40 AM »
Here’s your feeler, MU admin. Billy Donovan wouldn’t even be interested in your filled head coach position if you offered him $10M/year. And you can’t offer him that. So thanks for the call. I’ll go spit my cup of coffee out now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2020, 11:56:59 AM »
How would your wife and kids back at home feel when they learn that you're out at parties trying to pick up other women?

So it’s OK that 40% of the kids disown you, change their names and get a new “Dad”. And it’s OK for the wife to be on the lookout for a “better” husband. But the Dad/husband is  bad guy if his eyes wander when a gorgeous woman becomes available?

One way street?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:59:10 AM by Lennys Tap »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »
Thank you.

This is more idiotic than anything I've said on this thread. I'm getting crucified for suggesting literally a feeler call To a recently fired coach that went to a school not so different than MU is worth the 5 minutes and you equate that to we can hire currently employed coaches, who've won a ton at their current jobs, one who's still coaching this year.

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess he was being sarcastic.

If Billy Donovan’s agent reaches out to someone connected at MU, maybe you think about it. Most of this happens through third parties anyways, so it’s not like Scholl is calling up Donovan. However, I think you’d need more than passing interest for MU to even start reaching out.

I’m sure if Donovan wanted to come to MU, he’d know who to get in touch with. Probably a quick call to Doc.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2020, 12:03:40 PM »

Yeah, these things always take place behind the scenes and never leak out.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2020, 12:03:58 PM »
I don't have a wife or kids at home. And I was referring to college days, an era I thought that analogy would've been relevant to everyone.

So it's cool if he sniffs around other openings but we can't? He can either be an adult walk into the AD's office and say "I'll step up my game and not take calls from VATech" or be a whinny child about it because he wants to be able to have all the cards and treated like royalty without having earned it.

That's life.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2020, 12:05:38 PM »
Yeah, these things always take place behind the scenes and never leak out.

I would bet that more often than not, the leaks are done on purpose.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2020, 12:08:22 PM »
So it’s OK that 40% of the kids disown you, change their names and get a new “Dad”. And it’s OK for the wife to be on the lookout for a “better” husband. But the Dad/husband is  bad guy if his eyes wander when a gorgeous woman becomes available?

One way street?

Oh, please Lenny. Maybe you just want to be argumentative, but this doesn't come close to what I've written here.
I haven't said anyone is the "bad guy." I've said the downsides of chasing after a coach who you probably can't afford and almost certainly would have no interest in your program makes it neither a smart or worthwhile move.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 12:16:47 PM by Pakuni »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2020, 12:09:03 PM »
I would bet that more often than not, the leaks are done on purpose.

Ya think?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 12:25:33 PM »
At the risk of worsening how lost we're all getting in the metaphor - if you're Marquette, Billy Donovan is on your free pass list, aina? But you only get forgiven by the missus if you actually had a real chance.  Otherwise you're just a simp and your wife is embarrased to be with you becuase you look pathetic, not becuase you cheated with a supermodel.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2020, 12:27:03 PM »
Ya think?

Which is why the hyperbole being thrown about makes no sense.  Saying a back channel call ruins MU recruiting or discredits Wojo is as silly as thinking that Billy returns the overture.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
Which is why the hyperbole being thrown about makes no sense.  Saying a back channel call ruins MU recruiting or discredits Wojo is as silly as thinking that Billy returns the overture.

Billy has an agent. The job of Billy's agent is to help him land a new job that pays him the most he can possibly earn. Making Billy appear to be a hot commodity helps make that happen. Thus, it is in the agent's interest to leak information about any and all overtures he receives.
Nobody said anything about a backchannel call "ruining" MU recruiting, by the way.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 12:46:20 PM by Pakuni »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2020, 12:47:08 PM »
Oh, please Lenny. Maybe you just want to be argumentative, but this doesn't come close to what I've written here.
I haven't said anyone is the "bad guy." I've said the downsides of chasing after a coach who you probably can't afford and almost certainly would have no interest in your program makes it neither a smart or worthwhile move.

With all due respect, you made the analogy of institution as Dad, coach as wife and players as kids. I just pointed out how dysfunctional your “family” is regardless of how Dad behaves.

Perhaps it wasn’t a very good analogy.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2020, 12:51:57 PM »
Billy has an agent. The job of Billy's agent is to help him land a new job that pays him the most he can possibly earn. Making Billy appear to be a hot commodity helps make that happen. Thus, it is in the agent's interest to leak information about any and all overtures he receives.
Nobody said anything about a backchannel call "ruining" MU recruiting, by the way.

If the agent is leaking 'Marquette called' to try to get Billy a better job, he or she should be fired.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2020, 01:03:55 PM »
With all due respect, you made the analogy of institution as Dad, coach as wife and players as kids. I just pointed out how dysfunctional your “family” is regardless of how Dad behaves.

Perhaps it wasn’t a very good analogy.

Meh ... maybe it wasn't.
But you still misrepresented what I write because you wanted to be argumentative.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2020, 03:43:10 PM »

Sound good?

Never settle
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2020, 04:02:05 PM »
Exactly.  If you had a coach opening, OF COURSE you would reach out to him.  But you don't.

But it's totally cool and ethical for coaches under contract to be talking to other schools behind the scenes?

Got it.  Once again you, Pakuni, BLM/Wades illustrate how much you struggle with real world reality.

This is the Big Leagues/business.  Wojo is paid millions, we invest millions.  ROI hasn't been there after 6 years.

Any A.D., at a school spending Top 10 in College Hoop Budget (who's coach hasn't won an NCAA tournament game after 6 years on the job) should make the call and inquire.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »
Meh ... maybe it wasn't.
But you still misrepresented what I write because you wanted to be argumentative.

I would disagree but I don’t want to be perceived as disagreeable - or argumentative, for that matter.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2020, 05:04:45 PM »
But it's totally cool and ethical for coaches under contract to be talking to other schools behind the scenes?

Got it.  Once again you, Pakuni, BLM/Wades illustrate how much you struggle with real world reality.

This is the Big Leagues/business.  Wojo is paid millions, we invest millions.  ROI hasn't been there after 6 years.

Any A.D., at a school spending Top 10 in College Hoop Budget (who's coach hasn't won an NCAA tournament game after 6 years on the job) should make the call and inquire.

Shhhh, these 3-5 experts know everything.   Just ask them, they'll tell you.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2020, 05:33:13 PM »

Yeah you’re pretty much the last guy here I’m taking business advice from.

But anyway, if Wojo is so bad, they should have fired him. If not, then you stuck with him until you do.

Inquiring if Billy Donovan is interested in Marquette is a dumb idea mostly because the chances are infinitely small that he would have even a passing interest.

Do you really think a bunch of schools in Marquette’s situation are reaching out to him today? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2020, 05:40:52 PM »
Yeah you’re pretty much the last guy here I’m taking business advice from.

But anyway, if Wojo is so bad, they should have fired him. If not, then you stuck with him until you do.

Inquiring if Billy Donovan is interested in Marquette is a dumb idea mostly because the chances are infinitely small that he would have even a passing interest.

Do you really think a bunch of schools in Marquette’s situation are reaching out to him today?

Bill Scholl should have a list of coaches he’d reach out to should the need arise.  To inquire on someone like Billy Donovan would mean he’d have to have the knowledge that Marquette would have the financial means to meet his contract demands.  Let’s go low and say $4 million per year along with perks and a substantial pool of money for assistants.  If they can afford to pay a fired Wojo and meet the demands Billy Donovan would have, sure, make the call.  It’s not my money.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.