[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Black students reach agreement w/Marquette University  (Read 4577 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Black students reach agreement w/Marquette University
« on: September 03, 2020, 08:13:54 PM »
https://twitter.com/DeviShastri/status/1301670324384210944?s=19

Pretty hard to believe, and sad, that in 2020, it took this much effort from MU Black Students for some of these basic standard things elsewhere. Nonetheless, it was a good day for Black students at Maquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Black students reach agreement w/Marquette University
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 09:02:03 PM »
Awesome to see students standing up and being the author's of their own college experience. Good for them and good for the university.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 12:31:04 AM »
Good for them. Curious what a black cultural student center means? Is this African American? Include Darker Caribbean individuals (Jamaica, Bahamas)? Africa itself? It seems rather broad and I hope they aren't just giving into a Cultural center for a modern expectation of what being black means in America today for many young men and women and instead give a well rounded cultural center where people of all African descended backgrounds can feel welcome.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 12:57:56 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 07:00:03 AM »
Good for them. Curious what a black cultural student center means? Is this African American? Include Darker Caribbean individuals (Jamaica, Bahamas)? Africa itself? It seems rather broad and I hope they aren't just giving into a Cultural center for a modern expectation of what being black means in America today for many young men and women and instead give a well rounded cultural center where people of all African descended backgrounds can feel welcome.

Likely anyone who identifies as Black.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 08:49:23 AM »
Nice
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 08:52:55 AM »
Yes this would be for any Black person of a variety of backgrounds.

As much as MU needs to increase its Black student body population, (having it to from 4% to 10% isn't a big ask) and have it feel more inclusive, Black faculty and staff representation is even worse statistically. This is a priority.

Local minorities are underepresented at MU in a variety of ways. Hopefully eventually over time, an additional step is to also recruit Black and people of color from a wider range of geographies when local representation improves. MU is about 3/4 WIsconsin, Illinois population and I would like to see that drop to 50%, with more wider range geographies represented as well.

But this is a good initial step for MU and the Black population of MU.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 08:53:37 AM »
These are great changes, long overdue but Kudos for the students for fighting for them!

40 full ride scholarships for MPS grads is great. There are some REALLY smart kids in those schools who would excel at MU but it was probably never on the table due to cost.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 09:09:11 AM »
Yes this would be for any Black person of a variety of backgrounds.

As much as MU needs to increase its Black student body population, (having it to from 4% to 10% isn't a big ask) and have it feel more inclusive, Black faculty and staff representation is even worse statistically. This is a priority.

Local minorities are underepresented at MU in a variety of ways. Hopefully eventually over time, an additional step is to also recruit Black and people of color from a wider range of geographies when local representation improves. MU is about 3/4 WIsconsin, Illinois population and I would like to see that drop to 50%, with more wider range geographies represented as well.

But this is a good initial step for MU and the Black population of MU.

Are there that many black Catholics in the US? As a Catholic why would I want to attend Liberty Baptist or SMU, when I could go to Georgetown, Notre Dame or Marquette? Could it be that blacks just don't apply because they are not Catholic?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:10:45 AM by muwarrior69 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 09:19:48 AM »
Are there that many black Catholics in the US? As a Catholic why would I want to attend Liberty Baptist or SMU, when I could go to Georgetown, Notre Dame or Marquette? Could it be that blacks just don't apply because they are not Catholic?

Good question

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_of_Black_Americans#Religious_demographics
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 09:22:33 AM »

I'm sure that's part of it, but cost, image and comfort are likely larger factors.

My anecdotal experience is that those who do the actual churchy things, are seen by many multicultural students as assets more than anything.  I know a number of priests who are as conservative theologically as all get out, but who have fully embraced the Black Lives Matter slogan and who are quite "left" on issues dealing with immigration.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 09:27:14 AM »

Almost half of the incoming MU Class of 2023 is not Catholic (45%) according to MU. I can assure you that half of the student body at MU is not Black.

Diversity, inclusion, and representation is not limited to race.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:43:47 AM by shoothoops »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 09:44:15 AM »

Over 3 million.

https://www.usccb.org/committees/african-american-affairs/demographics

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 09:45:02 AM »
Almost half of the incoming MU Class of 2023 is not Catholic (45%) according to MU. I can assure you that half of the student body at MU is not Black.

This is much higher than it was when I attended 15 years ago. I think we were like 65-35 Catholic.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 09:48:08 AM »

I am not Catholic and it did not stop me from attending MU. In fact, my grandfather was a Disciples of Christ pastor and I grew up in the Presbyterian church. What MU offered as an institution overall went beyond religious identity.

I just had to work harder than others to pull an A in THEO 001
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:50:28 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 09:50:48 AM »
I am not Catholic and it did not stop me from attending MU. In fact, my grandfather was a Disciples of Christ pastor and I grew up in the Presbyterian church. What MU offered as an institution overall went beyond religious identity.

Agree. The Catholic experience is as much or as little as you want to make of it.

Want to attend daily mass and get involved in campus ministry? Opportunities are there.

If not, the only real reminders are the 2 required theology courses and crucifixes on the wall.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 09:53:34 AM »

My three THEO professors at MU were a Lutheran pastor, an Eastern Orthodox monk and a Jesuit.  (Sounds like a bad bar joke.)

And the Jesuit's class was on Islam.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 10:10:36 AM »

My three THEO professors at MU were a Lutheran pastor, an Eastern Orthodox monk and a Jesuit.  (Sounds like a bad bar joke.)

I had a Baptist minister and a former first grade teacher for my two THEO classes. Had several Jesuits for classes in other disciplines.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »
Had a Rabi and retired priest unsure if he was a Jesuit for my two THEO classes.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 10:32:32 AM »
It is funny now that I think of it. I had several Jesuits for history and philosophy. Theology not so much.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2020, 10:40:02 AM »

I had Father Gronski (sp?) for 001. He was awesome and helped me out a lot. I do laugh at the fact my worst THEO grade was Protestant Thought and Practice. Chalk that up to senioritis.

My grandmother was afraid I’d be “converted” going to MU.   ;D ;D
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 11:04:31 AM »
Out of curiosity since anthropologically speaking race is a social construct, I wonder what the criteria is to receive these scholarships? And how do you avoid future lawsuits if you exclude someone in a situation of say "I'm sorry your single African American grandparent doesn't meet the criteria"?

Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 11:09:09 AM »
Out of curiosity since anthropologically speaking race is a social construct, I wonder what the criteria is to receive these scholarships? And how do you avoid future lawsuits if you exclude someone in a situation of say "I'm sorry your single African American grandparent doesn't meet the criteria"?

Most schools aren't accepting race-based scholarships donations but instead are using the phrase "underrepresented" or something similar.  In addition, most scholarship criteria allow for revision in case the criteria become illegal.  Or if the donor is alive, you can simply ask them.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 11:18:12 AM »

One of my very good Marquette's friend's dad was a Lutheran Bishop.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 12:08:35 PM »

I don't think the criteria is race-based. It is for MPS grads: white, black, hispanic, asian, whatever. But the overwhelming majority of MPS kids are non-white.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2020, 08:19:48 AM »
A lot of the posts below just demonstrate how much MU has lost its Catholic identity. All my professors (i.e. 1960s) in theology and philosophy except for two were Jusuits or Franciscan. Looks like the theology department has abandoned Catholic theology for the most part if not all together. I was required to take 6 theology and 4 philosophy courses for graduation.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 08:22:15 AM by muwarrior69 »

feedback