[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Proud of Doc Rivers  (Read 34903 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Proud of Doc Rivers
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2020, 02:39:50 PM »
Most posters don't understand the role Bill Russell played in the development of the NBA.  He had the courage to risk everything to speak out on racial injustice.  You do not forfeit your right to make a political statement if you are an All American or an All Star.  To say "shut up and dribble" is un-American. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/27/bill-russell-nba-boycott/
Which posters have said being an All-Star or All American should forfeit the right to speak out or make a polical statement? Please call them out by name because they are wrong.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2020, 06:02:50 PM »
I'm not sure I've taken social media postings at face value, so I don't disagree.

last night my neighbor was over and we were having some beers. He was raised a moderate Republican (his dad was chief strategist for both Ahold and Pete Wilson and was played by Jeff Goldblum in a movie about running Yeltsin's campaign) but is now solidly Biden. He brought up the 14 year old thing...the first I'd heard of it. So I googled and came across PolitiFact WI which debunked it. The point being that there is so much out there that you don't know what's legit and what isn't, especially when it's so easily dissimated and sounds so plausible that intelligent individuals on any side of the spectrum can be misled.

The most successful field that has result from the Trump error is that of fact checker. I feel bad for Daniel Dale on CNN, it's non-stop!
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2020, 10:48:10 AM »
last night my neighbor was over and we were having some beers. He was raised a moderate Republican (his dad was chief strategist for both Ahold and Pete Wilson and was played by Jeff Goldblum in a movie about running Yeltsin's campaign) but is now solidly Biden. He brought up the 14 year old thing...the first I'd heard of it. So I googled and came across PolitiFact WI which debunked it. The point being that there is so much out there that you don't know what's legit and what isn't, especially when it's so easily dissimated and sounds so plausible that intelligent individuals on any side of the spectrum can be misled.

The most successful field that has result from the Trump error is that of fact checker. I feel bad for Daniel Dale on CNN, it's non-stop!

I won't disagree that anyone can be fooled, of course.  Some folks want to be fooled, and when they're fooled they can't accept it because it messes with their world view and they feel foolish.  The real problem is when folks dig in their heels and can't admit they made mistakes because they know society will tear them apart for it.  So instead they double down and continue to debate or distract.

Step one of fixing our culture is to make it okay to be wrong, and then having society be accepting of that when it is admitted.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2020, 09:32:11 AM »
While I agree this is not the place for this topic, you can do what most do and ignore the posts.

This has been a great site for MU basketball but I would never come here for COVID or political news or insight.

I don't care what athletes have to say about political issues and I don't care what CBS News has to say about sports.

I like Doc and he is entitled to his opinions but it carries as much weight as my next door neighbor (who I also like).
Amen. 

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2020, 06:42:11 AM »
Amen.

While the typical/usual virtue signalers here are proud of Doc, it’s seems like the dominant opinion agrees with you ...

—————

All eyes on Conference Semi-Finals with NBA TV Ratings down by a whopping 27%
https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/basketball/news-all-eyes-on-conference-semi-finals-with-nba-tv-ratings-down-by-a-whopping-27

Many people across the United States of America and the rest of the globe felt that the NBA was too involved in political matters in the country, and less focused on playing basketball.

But this is not the case with other sports.

MLB TV ratings surge, particularly among younger viewers
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2002255

Which Sport is Doing Best on TV Since Return from COVID?
https://newstalk870.am/which-sport-is-doing-best-on-tv-since-return-from-covid/

Analysts say it's perhaps for a variety of reasons, but so far the sport that Americans (and others) appear to be watching is the NHL. Of the major American sports (not including the mess that is NASCAR now), hockey appears to be it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 06:44:23 AM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2020, 06:52:19 AM »
While the typical/usual virtue signalers here are proud of Doc, it’s seems like the dominant opinion agrees with you ...

—————

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/basketball/news-all-eyes-on-conference-semi-finals-with-nba-tv-ratings-down-by-a-whopping-27

Many people across the United States of America and the rest of the globe felt that the NBA was too involved in political matters in the country, and less focused on playing basketball.

Analysts say it's perhaps for a variety of reasons, but so far the sport that Americans (and others) appear to be watching is the NHL. Of the major American sports (not including the mess that is NASCAR now), hockey appears to be it.

Rockets Thunder game 7, largest audience for a first round game on ESPN in 3 years. Largest audience for a cable sports program since the nfl draft.
 https://mobile.twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/status/1301634882922217473

NHL down double digits after post restart highs.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2020/09/stanley-cup-ratings-decline-nbc-post-restart-highs/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2020, 07:20:07 AM »

—————

I'm sorry to hear you are ashamed of our fellow Marquette alum, Glenn Rivers.

I'm still very proud of him. If being proud of a person who tells the truth, who speaks from the heart, who speaks for millions in a class that has been beaten down by systemic racism for hundreds of years, and who has been a wonderful husband, father and role model is "virtue signaling," I guess I plead guilty to being a virtue signaler.

Expressing admiration for racists, as some have done here, I guess that's what? Douchenozzle signaling?

Despite the wish of racists everywhere, the NBA will be fine.

I'm a hockey fan, but it has always been a niche sport in the U.S.

NHL ratings are roughly 1/4 to 1/3 as high as the NBA's.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2020, 07:38:07 AM »
Shocking the NBA ratings would be down. Can’t figure out why. Could it be that they’ve been playing games starting at 11:00 AM ET and continuing them throughout the day during the weekdays while some people need to work or be in classes? Nah. Could it be that their entire Playoffs has gone on in the heart of summer when it’s normally starting in April, and currently getting outside and enjoying nice weather is a pretty big priority given social distancing? Nah. Could it be that TV ratings for pretty much all sports are down? Nah.

It’s that everyone involved is a Marxist Communist. Led by Doc Rivers. Sad!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2020, 07:48:55 AM »
I gotta admit, I'm not watching much NBA outside the Bucks, haven't watched a second of NHL, and only occasionally watching the Brewers.  The NFL starts next week, and I can't think of a Packer season I have anticipated less.

I think there is just too much other stuff going on right now.  Sports just aren't that important right now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2020, 07:55:54 AM »
Still trying to figure out what kind of person - let alone any kind of Marquette alum - WOULDN’T be proud if Rivers, and why.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »
Heisey believes it's far more important for professional sports leagues to coddle snowflakes and chase TV ratings than it is to stand on the right side of history.
He's made this point only a few hundred times over the past five years, and I think we can all move on now. He is who we thought he is.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2020, 08:48:25 AM »
Shocking the NBA ratings would be down. Can’t figure out why. Could it be that they’ve been playing games starting at 11:00 AM ET and continuing them throughout the day during the weekdays while some people need to work or be in classes? Nah. Could it be that their entire Playoffs has gone on in the heart of summer when it’s normally starting in April, and currently getting outside and enjoying nice weather is a pretty big priority given social distancing? Nah. Could it be that TV ratings for pretty much all sports are down? Nah.

It’s that everyone involved is a Marxist Communist. Led by Doc Rivers. Sad!

NBA ratings have been in a downward spiral for years. They’ve just entered a warp speed decline in the bubble.  Ratings for ABC games, where obviously the marquee games are broadcast, are down 45% since 2011-12.  Last seasons Finals series saw a double digit decline.

Not to mention other than hockey, which has never been a serious television viewer competitor for them, they have postseason to themselves among sports.There is no college football, no NFL preseason, there’s been one golf major, etc.  Many activities in the country remain scaled back or just canceled across the country. 

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2020, 11:13:24 AM »
NBA ratings have been in a downward spiral for years. They’ve just entered a warp speed decline in the bubble.  Ratings for ABC games, where obviously the marquee games are broadcast, are down 45% since 2011-12.  Last seasons Finals series saw a double digit decline.

Not to mention other than hockey, which has never been a serious television viewer competitor for them, they have postseason to themselves among sports.There is no college football, no NFL preseason, there’s been one golf major, etc.  Many activities in the country remain scaled back or just canceled across the country. 

Ratings for almost all sporting events are decreasing. This isn’t news.

But anyway, the NBA knows their brand and their audience. They’re fine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2020, 11:22:48 AM »
Heisey believes it's far more important for professional sports leagues to coddle snowflakes and chase TV ratings than it is to stand on the right side of history.
He's made this point only a few hundred times over the past five years, and I think we can all move on now. He is who we thought he is.

Pukuni never misses a chance to signal his moral superiority over those that disagree with him.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2020, 11:28:00 AM »
Ratings for almost all sporting events are decreasing. This isn’t news.

But anyway, the NBA knows their brand and their audience. They’re fine.

Does that brand also include the human rights abuses in their Chinese camps. 

Report: N.B.A.’s Academies in China Abused Athletes
The report said athletes were struck by coaches, housed in crowded conditions and not given schooling as promised.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/sports/basketball/nba-china-abuse.html#:~:text=The%20N.B.A.%20had%20three%20academies,Uighurs%2C%20a%20largely%20Muslim%20minority.

The N.B.A. had three academies in China, including one in the Xinjiang region, in the far northwest of the country, where the government has been accused of perpetrating human rights abuses against the Uighurs, a largely Muslim minority.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2020, 11:40:25 AM »
Doc Rivers continues to be a great representative of Marquette on and off the court. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2020, 11:47:36 AM »

Report: N.B.A.’s Academies in China Abused Athletes
The report said athletes were struck by coaches, housed in crowded conditions and not given schooling as promised.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/sports/basketball/nba-china-abuse.html#:~:text=The%20N.B.A.%20had%20three%20academies,Uighurs%2C%20a%20largely%20Muslim%20minority.

The N.B.A. had three academies in China, including one in the Xinjiang region, in the far northwest of the country, where the government has been accused of perpetrating human rights abuses against the Uighurs, a largely Muslim minority.

Yep they should be more wary of China.

Not sure how that is relevant to your post but Ok.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2020, 12:13:00 PM »
Heisie 2.0 never misses a chance to signal his moral superiority over those that disagree with him.

See how easy this is?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2020, 12:18:12 PM »

Ideally, yes. The NBA should stop doing business with abusive companies and/or countries, or at the very least work to affect serious change.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with Marquette alums, current students, faculty and administration being proud of a wonderful representative of Marquette University like Glenn "Doc" Rivers.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2020, 12:38:30 PM »

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2020, 12:56:02 PM »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2020, 01:34:17 PM »
Nothing wrong with Doc or other athletes choosing to exercise their freedom of speech.

I believe where they lose some of is when they take an extreme viewpoint complaining/likening sport to modern day slavery. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/16/sports/basketball/slavery-anniversary-basketball-owners.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=athletes+who+have+suggested+it+is+a+form+of+slavery&oq=athletes+who+have+suggested+it+is+a+form+of+slavery&aqs=chrome..69i57.27339j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2020, 01:55:55 PM »
Pukuni never misses a chance to signal his moral superiority over those that disagree with him.

In your case, intellectual superiority as well.
I'm also funnier, and probably better looking.
Don't feel too bad. Your copy-and-paste skills put mine to shame.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2020, 11:36:22 AM »
Kentucky Derby Ratings "Brutal".

Perhaps if the horses wouldn't have kneeled...

https://twitter.com/MediumBuying/status/1302749263634534400?s=19

Go Doc. 👍

MU82

• All American
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2020, 02:59:27 PM »
Kentucky Derby Ratings "Brutal".

Perhaps if the horses wouldn't have kneeled...

https://twitter.com/MediumBuying/status/1302749263634534400?s=19

Go Doc. 👍

It's those Marxist ponies from the BHM movement!

feedback