'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 12:19:59 PM]

MU Gear by Hards Alumni
[Today at 12:18:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 11:59:39 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 11:55:22 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 10:36:41 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Proud of Doc Rivers  (Read 34856 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Proud of Doc Rivers
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2020, 01:22:58 PM »
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/1490455749336/la-clippers-coach-doc-rivers-pictured-out-with-stunning-new-girlfriend-as-he-secretly-divorces-wife-of-34-years

Hey?

I guess this means you'll be fully supporting him for president in 2024. Especially if he also boasts about grabbing women by the private parts just because he is famous.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
Anyone care to check the NFL ratings for Week 1? Seems we have enough data at this point to demonstrate a trend between social justice warrioring and viewership ratings, and it absolutely is having an effect on NBA ratings. It seems at least 80% of the visitors to this board can’t slurp BLM propaganda fast enough, but I have no interest in watching athletes spread lies about what is truly impacting the progress of the black community. My emotional connection to the NBA (Bucks) and the NFL (Packers) is gone, and it’s not coming back, and there are a lot of people like me. “Good riddance,” “We don’t need you,” “The sport is better off without you,” “you were never a real fan” etc, but it all just supports the fact that athletes have turned sports into a polarizing product, whether you slurpers feel it is warranted or not. I look forward to the advent of the MSNBA and the CNNFL. Maybe Fox will develop its own FOXFL.

Troll alert!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2020, 03:01:32 PM »
not a troll. guy has a diffferent view. oh well. my entire moms side is the same way. Massive packer fans their whole lives. screaming at the tv every sunday. Now they dare even speak the name packers to each other.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 03:05:24 PM by Johnny B »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2020, 04:03:40 PM »
Anyone care to check the NFL ratings for Week 1? Seems we have enough data at this point to demonstrate a trend between social justice warrioring and viewership ratings, and it absolutely is having an effect on NBA ratings. It seems at least 80% of the visitors to this board can’t slurp BLM propaganda fast enough, but I have no interest in watching athletes spread lies about what is truly impacting the progress of the black community. My emotional connection to the NBA (Bucks) and the NFL (Packers) is gone, and it’s not coming back, and there are a lot of people like me. “Good riddance,” “We don’t need you,” “The sport is better off without you,” “you were never a real fan” etc, but it all just supports the fact that athletes have turned sports into a polarizing product, whether you slurpers feel it is warranted or not. I look forward to the advent of the MSNBA and the CNNFL. Maybe Fox will develop its own FOXFL.

1.26 million more people watched Doc and the Clippers lose (ESPN) then the President’s town hall (ABC). Apparently everyone is sick of politics???

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2020, 05:35:29 PM »
As the story goes, Doc quietly divorced (which is his business), and is with a much younger woman (again, his biz). 

That must have cost him a bundle.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2020, 07:33:05 PM »

The NFL ratings were fine all things considered.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2020, 07:34:18 PM »
not a troll. guy has a diffferent view. oh well. my entire moms side is the same way. Massive packer fans their whole lives. screaming at the tv every sunday. Now they dare even speak the name packers to each other.

I'm sure the Packers will miss them, but will enjoy having them back eventually.  (Even if they claim to still be ignoring them.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2020, 07:35:44 PM »
I will say this, I think Doc is a pretty good coach when it comes to the locker room and overall player management.

I don't think he's a great tactical coach.  In fact, I don't think he is very good at all in that department.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2020, 07:46:05 PM »
I'm sure the Packers will miss them, but will enjoy having them back eventually.  (Even if they claim to still be ignoring them.)

The Venn diagram of people who swore off the NFL forever in 2016 and people who are swearing off the NFL forever today is pretty much a circle.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2020, 09:14:52 PM »
Another moron comparing the social and cultural challenges of certain communities to the horrors of legalized slavery. Keep slurping fool. Enjoy watching the Bucks. Oh wait.

Thank you for your opinion. Yours is as worthless as mine.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2020, 08:25:51 AM »
The Venn diagram of people who swore off the NFL forever in 2016 and people who are swearing off the NFL forever today is pretty much a circle.

So true, they might not be as enthusiastic but no way they didn't get excited watching the packers get to the NFC finals last year just because some guys stood up for a cause.
Maigh Eo for Sam

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2020, 09:08:32 AM »
Are the people boycotting the NFL still boycotting Nike, Keurig, whatever that razor company was, every company that posts a rainbow during pride month, etc etc? It's hard to keep track. And they complain that the "snowflakes" are "offended by everything"  :o

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2020, 09:26:56 AM »
Are the people boycotting the NFL still boycotting Nike, Keurig, whatever that razor company was, every company that posts a rainbow during pride month, etc etc? It's hard to keep track. And they complain that the "snowflakes" are "offended by everything"  :o

Considering that most of these folks have the attention spans of gnats, and similar brain functionality...

They'll be back.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2020, 09:34:31 AM »

Same people who rail against "cancel culture."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2020, 09:44:39 AM »
For everyone who wants to obsess about ratings YoY, context needs to be considered.  Check out this look at TV consumption in Q1 2020 vs Q1 2019.

http://twitter.com/4AsResearch/status/1306603294727565312

Huge drops within the 18-34 (15% down) and 35-49 (8% down).  People are simply watching less TV.  But when they do watch TV, sports including the NBA and the NFL lead the way.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2020, 01:45:02 PM »

I've been boycotting the NFL since they reinstated Michael Vick, though at this point it's more that I just don't watch the sport, and couldn't even if I had a renewed desire to.

I was eating dinner the other night and some NFL game was on in the background and honestly, I don't get how people watch it. The pace of the game is just so molasses slow. In 30 minutes of the game being on, I didn't see any actual game action. I wasn't paying close attention, but every time I glanced at the screen, it was a shot of the sidelines, or a coach talking into a clipboard, or chains moving, or a huddle, or commercials. There's so little actual gameplay in the game. At one point I thought I looked up and saw live action but quickly realized it was a highlight from another game. It baffles me how anyone can sit still for 3 hours interested in a game with 11 minutes of actual game action. I think the NFL speaks to America thoroughly because it so completely embodies our sedentary lifestyles. Virtually no action in a 3 hour period and we call that exciting. How it competes with basketball, hockey, or soccer where there are more often than not things going on when you look at the screen baffles me.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2020, 01:57:39 PM »
I've been boycotting the NFL since they reinstated Michael Vick, though at this point it's more that I just don't watch the sport, and couldn't even if I had a renewed desire to.

I was eating dinner the other night and some NFL game was on in the background and honestly, I don't get how people watch it. The pace of the game is just so molasses slow. In 30 minutes of the game being on, I didn't see any actual game action. I wasn't paying close attention, but every time I glanced at the screen, it was a shot of the sidelines, or a coach talking into a clipboard, or chains moving, or a huddle, or commercials. There's so little actual gameplay in the game. At one point I thought I looked up and saw live action but quickly realized it was a highlight from another game. It baffles me how anyone can sit still for 3 hours interested in a game with 11 minutes of actual game action. I think the NFL speaks to America thoroughly because it so completely embodies our sedentary lifestyles. Virtually no action in a 3 hour period and we call that exciting. How it competes with basketball, hockey, or soccer where there are more often than not things going on when you look at the screen baffles me.

Football is all about building anticipation, following by short intense action, then reviewing that action...back to anticipation, etc.

I don't find it that much different than soccer because while the play is ongoing, I certainly wouldn't call it continuous "game action." 

But if you don't like it, you don't like it.  No biggie.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »

Football is all about building anticipation, following by short intense action, then reviewing that action...back to anticipation, etc.

I don't find it that much different than soccer because while the play is ongoing, I certainly wouldn't call it continuous "game action." 

But if you don't like it, you don't like it.  No biggie.

Yeah, I enjoy and watch a lot of soccer, but I wouldn't call the action scintillating compared to that of a football game.

The worst thing about soccer, IMO, is the lack of any real competition in the domestic leagues. The PL may be the most competitive, and even then only a few teams have a chance to finish at the top in any given year. What's the point if you're the fan of a mid-table club like Everton, Southampton, etc.? You're never good enough to compete for something important. The most excitement you get is maybe a bad year when you get to fend off relegation. Hurray?
And things are much worse in the other major leagues.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2020, 02:57:06 PM »
Yeah, I enjoy and watch a lot of soccer, but I wouldn't call the action scintillating compared to that of a football game.

The worst thing about soccer, IMO, is the lack of any real competition in the domestic leagues. The PL may be the most competitive, and even then only a few teams have a chance to finish at the top in any given year. What's the point if you're the fan of a mid-table club like Everton, Southampton, etc.? You're never good enough to compete for something important. The most excitement you get is maybe a bad year when you get to fend off relegation. Hurray?

So you're saying the best players are spread out among the biggest leagues in the world... effectively diluting talent?

;)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2020, 02:59:27 PM »

While the best moments won't match the PL, the Championship is a far more entertaining week-to-week league because the competition level is far more equal. You legitimately won't know who will win week to week. Of course, the games are a lot harder to get and if you're tuning in for the star power, it simply isn't there, but the competition is. I think it's even worse in leagues like Italy and Spain (as you allude to) where the number of teams truly at the top is small and the gap between them and the next tier is pretty large.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2020, 03:13:06 PM »
Without fantasy football, it would be interesting to see what ratings would be. I’m sure many people are on their phones/computers watching other games during the dead time. I know I am.

Gambling as well seems to me tailored to football. Most games on the same day of the week. Can make some bets and see the results. Versus NBA or MLB with multiple games during the week making it tougher to follow.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2020, 03:27:17 PM »
So you're saying the best players are spread out among the biggest leagues in the world... effectively diluting talent?

;)

No, I'm saying the best players are concentrated on only about 8-10 percent of the major domestic league rosters, making the annual competition a mostly futile gesture for a large majority of clubs. For those clubs, it's not about building a team good enough to win it all, it's about building one that isn't so bad that they're relegated.

• All American
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2020, 03:33:56 PM »
I think the biggest comp to top soccer leagues is college football.  By and large the top programs will always be the top programs, with some moving up and some moving down over the course of years.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2020, 03:36:45 PM »
No, I'm saying the best players are concentrated on only about 8-10 percent of the major domestic league rosters, making the annual competition a mostly futile gesture for a large majority of clubs. For those clubs, it's not about building a team good enough to win it all, it's about building one that isn't so bad that they're relegated.

Fair assessment, however, what American Football gains in a larger percentage of teams that have realistic chances of winning a title, they more than lose because of the teams that are intentionally tanking, IMO.  In a lot of cases relegation fights can be more interesting and fun to watch than title challenges, as was the case last year in the Premier League. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2020, 03:52:27 PM »

I think there's still viable avenues for smaller teams to compete for Europe, even if not the Champions' League. Wolves, Burnley, Everton, Southampton, and West Ham have all had European campaigns in recent years. As a Reading FC fan, it was a blast when they made a push for Europe in their first ever EPL season back in 2007.

But I do relate to the overall futility for those clubs. If you aren't City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, or Arsenal, the odds of seeing your team holding the title at the end of the season is incredibly remote. Better odds of winning a FA or EFL Cup. It's tough when you're a fan of a team like Stoke City, who spent 10 years in the PL and never finished higher than 9th. It's tougher when you're a fan of a team that looks at that Stoke run and daydreams about that level of success.

Of course...Stoke is now in the Championship, so...

feedback