[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: post office  (Read 1528 times)

MU82

• All American
post office
« on: August 18, 2020, 01:35:39 PM »
Great news! Pressure that everyday Americans put on the powers-that-be has resulted in the postmaster general saying he no longer will attempt to gut the U.S. Postal Service in the months leading to a national election during a global pandemic.

https://www.axios.com/postmaster-general-suspending-changes-63e1a3ad-e562-4d13-8109-678635b7ea52.html

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy said in a statement on Tuesday that he would halt operational changes and cost-cutting to the U.S. Postal Service until after the 2020 election to "avoid even the appearance of any impact on election mail."

Why it matters: Widespread delays and backlogs had prompted allegations from Democratic lawmakers that DeJoy and President Trump were attempting to undermine the Postal Service ahead of an election that will see a record number of mail-in ballots.

The House was poised to return to session on Saturday to pass USPS-related legislation, and DeJoy had been called to testify before both the House and Senate.

President Trump has suggested that the USPS won't be able to handle "universal" mail-in ballots, which he has baselessly claimed will lead to a "rigged" election, without extra funding.

Between the lines: The USPS alerted 46 states and Washington, D.C. at the end of July that it cannot ensure ballots sent by mail in the general election will arrive in time to be counted. Dejoy's statement does not address what changes the service has made since the letters were sent.

What he's saying: "I came to the Postal Service to make changes to secure the success of this organization and its long-term sustainability. I believe significant reforms are essential to that objective, and work toward those reforms will commence after the election."

"In the meantime, there are some longstanding operational initiatives — efforts that predate my arrival at the Postal Service — that have been raised as areas of concern as the nation prepares to hold an election in the midst of a devastating pandemic. "

"To avoid even the appearance of any impact on election mail, I am suspending these initiatives until after the election is concluded."

DeJoy added: "I want to assure all Americans of the following:

Retail hours at Post Offices will not change.

Mail processing equipment and blue collection boxes will remain where they are.

No mail processing facilities will be closed.

And we reassert that overtime has, and will continue to be, approved as needed."

The bottom line: "The Postal Service is ready today to handle whatever volume of election mail it receives this fall," DeJoy wrote.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: post office
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 01:41:42 PM »

The bottom line: "The Postal Service is ready today to handle whatever volume of election mail it receives this fall," DeJoy wrote.

Somebody is gonna be might angry about this....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 02:01:35 PM »
Somebody is gonna be might angry about this....

Well, we will see if DeJoy actually follows through on what he has promised.

It was the only response that made sense. Even if one acknowledges that the USPS needs major fixes, doing so in the months leading up to an election in which millions of Americans have to vote by mail due to a global pandemic was nothing short of stupid (and/or corrupt).

So all Americans should be glad that DeJoy seemingly has caved under the pressure and is willing to actually make things better, not worse.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »
Well, we will see if DeJoy actually follows through on what he has promised.

It was the only response that made sense. Even if one acknowledges that the USPS needs major fixes, doing so in the months leading up to an election in which millions of Americans have to vote by mail due to a global pandemic was nothing short of stupid (and/or corrupt).

So all Americans should be glad that DeJoy seemingly has caved under the pressure and is willing to actually make things better, not worse.

Agreed. He had to say it, but he may still get major pushback.

I still plan to complete and send my mail-in ballot as soon as I receive it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 03:38:06 PM »
I am going to hand deliver my ballot and my wife's ballot to the city clerk office in person sometime in late October.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »
Great news! Pressure that everyday Americans put on the powers-that-be has resulted in the postmaster general saying he no longer will attempt to gut the U.S. Postal Service in the months leading to a national election during a global pandemic.

https://www.axios.com/postmaster-general-suspending-changes-63e1a3ad-e562-4d13-8109-678635b7ea52.html
Not exactly. He's said he won't gut the post office more than he already has until after the election. He's already managed to do massive damage--I mean, removing sorting machines to degrade the ability to process mail? C'mon.

Further, I believe his promises just as much as I believe Bill Barr's pledge of impartial justice.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 05:21:48 PM »
Not exactly. He's said he won't gut the post office more than he already has until after the election. He's already managed to do massive damage--I mean, removing sorting machines to degrade the ability to process mail? C'mon.

Further, I believe his promises just as much as I believe Bill Barr's pledge of impartial justice.

Yep, we'll see.

I am planning to go to early voting in person. I also am going to work at a polling station.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 05:28:15 PM »
Mitch McConnell has been blocking $25 billion in USPS funding for 95 days. He has been blocking legislation to restore the Voting Rights Act for 256 days.

Not everyone is interested in a safe, fair voting process during a Pandemic, or timely mail for veterans' prescriptions or small businesses.

Check your voting process/options for your state. It varies widely, and, the same options are not available for each state.

The USPS needs to reverse recent actions, not just suspend them. There is a difference.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 05:33:16 PM by shoothoops »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 05:46:54 PM »
Yep, we'll see.

I am planning to go to early voting in person. I also am going to work at a polling station.
John Cleese summarized DeJoy's defense as. "To avoid even any appearance of criminality, I shall stop committing any more crimes while people are watching me closely".

https://twitter.com/JohnCleese/status/1295812996535468032
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 08:30:33 PM »
I am going to hand deliver my ballot and my wife's ballot to the city clerk office in person sometime in late October.

Good idea. Just looked up the appropriate place here, and will hand deliver mine as well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 09:13:01 PM »
John Cleese summarized DeJoy's defense as. "To avoid even any appearance of criminality, I shall stop committing any more crimes while people are watching me closely".

https://twitter.com/JohnCleese/status/1295812996535468032

I appreciate the skepticism. I’m a skeptic myself. But I still choose to look at this as good news.

I also look at the GOP-led Senate Intelligence Committee’s revelations about Russian interference in our elections as good news. Not that there was and still is interference but that there is official acknowledgment of this issue, and it’s not partisan.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 10:11:27 AM »
Mitch McConnell has been blocking $25 billion in USPS funding for 95 days. He has been blocking legislation to restore the Voting Rights Act for 256 days.

Not everyone is interested in a safe, fair voting process during a Pandemic, or timely mail for veterans' prescriptions or small businesses.

Check your voting process/options for your state. It varies widely, and, the same options are not available for each state.

The USPS needs to reverse recent actions, not just suspend them. There is a difference.

Pandemic news: Mitch McConnell now says he won't pass a Post Office only bill, and, he sees this as opportunity to get something in return. The President of the United States has voted by mail for the November election. But on the same day as that was shown he said if people can protest in person they can vote in person.

https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/3392267001?__twitter_impression=true

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 11:54:02 AM »

More political bullish!t that has absolutely zip, zero, nada to do with COVID 19.

feedback