collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1108145 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #7950 on: August 17, 2020, 04:23:15 PM »
It is quite believable.   One of the problems is that many choose not to.

Yessir. I long ago stopped saying "Unbelievable!" when it comes to COVID-19. Or, for that matter, when it comes to the national leaders who chose to ignore it for months.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7951 on: August 18, 2020, 08:45:05 PM »
Apparently a general order of symptoms has been Discovered. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2020-08-19/the-order-covid-19-symptoms-present/12571116

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7952 on: August 18, 2020, 09:14:36 PM »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2020-08-19/the-order-covid-19-symptoms-present/12571116

Interesting. The only people I know that have had it started with a headache and sore throat. Fever came later.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7953 on: August 19, 2020, 01:01:02 PM »

I have a friend who works at a residential facility for adults with cognitive disabilities.  They have positive cases in several of their housing units.  The odd thing is that in each unit, everone had the exact same symptoms - in one unit it was only loss of taste and smell, in another it was headache and cough, etc.
Have some patience, FFS.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #7954 on: August 19, 2020, 07:19:46 PM »
Would not complain if Covid kills the Greek system.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/College-Coronavirus-Outbreaks-Linked-to-Greek-Life-15494570.php

(read in reality: oh no! a fall guy that gets clicks! or perhaps: Kids these days!)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7955 on: August 19, 2020, 08:29:26 PM »
Moving this discussion to the main thread...

I can’t speak for Texas, Arizona and NC I suspect your conspiracy theory is also wrong about them but I’m not sure. Again if the same amount of people are getting sick and this is just a case of a halt in testing hospitalizations and deaths will remain constant. If not, they will drop. Stay tuned.

Lenny, I wouldn't be so quick to call this political BS. I've attached screenshots for Florida. Pretty obvious the positive #s peaked around July 18 and declined a bunch since.  However, the death #s have largely remained flat since early August. Seems suspicious to me.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7956 on: August 19, 2020, 08:39:52 PM »
Moving this discussion to the main thread...

Lenny, I wouldn't be so quick to call this political BS. I've attached screenshots for Florida. Pretty obvious the positive #s peaked around July 18 and declined a bunch since.  However, the death #s have largely remained flat since early August. Seems suspicious to me.

Deaths will take longer to lag than that won’t they?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7957 on: August 19, 2020, 08:41:35 PM »
Deaths will take longer to lag than that won’t they?

Yes. Deaths should be peaking around now, give or take a week/10 days in either direction. If they don’t Strastrophy will have a point.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 08:46:03 PM by Lennys Tap »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7958 on: August 19, 2020, 08:45:54 PM »
It used to be 3-weeks but because of better testing I think it is now ~4 in some of the models.  So we should see them come down soon.

I still think the percent positivity staying the same/coming down slightly is a good sign that the interventions are working.  If they were restricting capacity, that should go up as only the sickest get accepted for a test. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7959 on: August 19, 2020, 08:56:22 PM »
Aug 8 would be 3 weeks since the averaged peak. Or are hospitalizations lasting longer these days?  Honest question. I thought 21 days was still the
common average number?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7960 on: August 19, 2020, 08:57:44 PM »
It used to be 3-weeks but because of better testing I think it is now ~4 in some of the models.  So we should see them come down soon.

Still then, average numbers should be dropping rapidly from Aug 15 on. We don't see that yet.

Edit: to be clear in the screenshots, I was trying to highlight the high average of positives/deaths (not 3 or 4 weeks). My point remains the line is pretty flat for the past 3 weeks...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 09:00:43 PM by rocky_warrior »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7961 on: August 19, 2020, 09:01:57 PM »
Still then, average numbers ahold be dropping rapidly from Aug 15 on. We don't see that yet.

I agree.  I’m starting to wade in areas where I have two inches of knowledge in a 12 foot pool, but death is reported way late.  So while it may take 3-weeks in actuality, the report happens far after the death officially.  So it’s not perfect but we certainly should see movement soon.

We should already be seeing this in hospitalizations if it were widely shared....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7962 on: August 19, 2020, 09:12:08 PM »
I agree.  I’m starting to wade in areas where I have two inches of knowledge in a 12 foot pool

Nonsense! We're all internet experts!

Fair points (you and Lenny), but looking at the slopes on the charts, something seems off (hence my agreement with skat).

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7963 on: August 19, 2020, 09:18:49 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/the-trends-are-good-miami-dade-mayor-optimistic-but-says-covid-numbers-need-to-drop-further/2278992/%3famp

This would support the hospitalization side. 

By the way I did hear a state was not reporting their ‘quick’ Abbott tests.  A few others have been missing lab feeds.  So maybe the magnitude of the case declines are misleading.

That is why this is a funny debate.  Yes FL you are way better than a month ago, but you are still in a really bad place.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7964 on: August 20, 2020, 07:50:01 AM »
I agree.  I’m starting to wade in areas where I have two inches of knowledge in a 12 foot pool, but death is reported way late.  So while it may take 3-weeks in actuality, the report happens far after the death officially.  So it’s not perfect but we certainly should see movement soon.

We should already be seeing this in hospitalizations if it were widely shared....
This is correct, average time from hospitalization to reported death is 4 weeks
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7965 on: August 20, 2020, 09:57:47 AM »
Got tested at State Fair on Tuesday after work.  From turning onto the street that took you into where they were doing the testing to driving out of the testing site took about 5 minutes.  They hardly stuck the swab up my nose, I didn't feel much more than a tickle.  Had my results about 30 hours later.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7966 on: August 20, 2020, 11:09:31 AM »
Georgia State University Quarterback diagnosed with heart condition after his experience with COVID-19:

https://twitter.com/mikelecolasurdo/status/1296456027509002240?s=19

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7967 on: August 20, 2020, 11:32:21 AM »
This is correct, average time from hospitalization to reported death is 4 weeks

Aug 15 was 4 weeks from the positive peak.  So is MUScoop declaring it 5 weeks now?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7968 on: August 20, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »
Aug 15 was 4 weeks from the positive peak.  So is MUScoop declaring it 5 weeks now?
I'm just quoting the existing data/science. But I'll happily make up new, totally unsupported facts if it will earn me a free Scoop subscription.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7969 on: August 20, 2020, 01:30:43 PM »
if it will earn me a free Scoop subscription.

We don't just hand those out.  But around black Friday we might run a promotion - check early and often, quality quantities will be limited.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7970 on: August 20, 2020, 01:50:10 PM »
Georgia State University Quarterback diagnosed with heart condition after his experience with COVID-19:

But he didn't die so many people will say it's no big deal....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7971 on: August 20, 2020, 01:58:14 PM »

Not to be the devils advocate, but there are numerous mild heart conditions, including myocarditis, that can flare up with any sort of viral infection, including flu or common cold.  Without reading more into his case, I would imagine it’s what he’s experiencing like Eduardo Rodriguez from the Red Sox. It can be serious and it’s good that it was picked up, but rushing to label it a COVID specific thing is incorrect.  If anything, the supreme caution around COVID is likely the reason it was picked up. Which is good as it actually leans young in terms of distribution of cases and often flies under the radar.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7972 on: August 20, 2020, 02:24:16 PM »
Not to be the devils advocate, but there are numerous mild heart conditions, including myocarditis, that can flare up with any sort of viral infection, including flu or common cold.  Without reading more into his case, I would imagine it’s what he’s experiencing like Eduardo Rodriguez from the Red Sox. It can be serious and it’s good that it was picked up, but rushing to label it a COVID specific thing is incorrect.  If anything, the supreme caution around COVID is likely the reason it was picked up. Which is good as it actually leans young in terms of distribution of cases and often flies under the radar.

If we use your ‘don’t jump to conclusions’ caution, you shouldn’t assume it’s not Covid either. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7973 on: August 20, 2020, 03:05:31 PM »
If we use your ‘don’t jump to conclusions’ caution, you shouldn’t assume it’s not Covid either.

Sorry, I’m not meaning in his case, I’m meaning like people getting myocarditis is something specific to COVID when it’s not uncommon in other viral/bacterial situations. Close to half a million cases of myocarditis/pericarditis in the US annually. That’s all

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7974 on: August 20, 2020, 03:12:04 PM »
Close to half a million cases of myocarditis/pericarditis in the US annually. That’s all

Shut it all down then. 

feedback