[Today at 05:23:29 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 112790 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2020, 10:39:55 AM »
“Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.”

-Arthur Ashe

I’ve always loved that quote from a truly fine human being. Very appropriate now. Thanks for posting.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2020, 12:18:34 PM »
I’ve always loved that quote from a truly fine human being. Very appropriate now. Thanks for posting.

Yep, it's hard to miss when at The U.S. Open.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2020, 03:00:22 PM »
Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the semifinals of Cincinnati in solidarity with other athletes from across the sports landscape. She is the favorite to win the tournament. Discussions ongoing now that more might join her.

https://twitter.com/naomiosaka/status/1298785716487548928?s=19

Osaka will play her semifinal match tomorrow, Friday.

The WTA and USTA lobbied for her to play, and, she has agreed. The entire tournament was paused a day after Osaka withdrew.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2020, 01:04:26 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2020, 05:18:20 PM »
Absolutely UNREAL match from Djokovic. Clearly under the weather and struggling, up 5-2 returning at deuce, proceeds to lose that game and the next 3 straight, getting broken twice. His last service game he honestly looked like he was going through the motions.  Then he somehow summons up the energy to break Bautista-Agut to get to the tiebreak and then flamethrows him 7-0. He’s absolutely unreal to watch sometimes

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2020, 06:16:14 PM »
A match that easily could have gone either way, Djokovic escapes to the final.....where he can become the first player to win all Masters 1000 events twice with a win in the finals.

Bautista Agut is a tough matchup for Djokovic, very, very consistent, few unforced errors, chases down everything. Long a good consistent top 20 player, he's really stepped up even more the past few years. He is one of the few people to have 3 straight hard court wins over Djokovic, almost four today. Doha and Miami last year and Shanghai a few years ago. It's a grind.

Djokovic is now 22-0 on the year. He's won all of his past ten tiebreakers and 19 of his last 20 breakers. He finds ways to win. Quick turnaround for the final, a bit unusual. His good news is Raonic has never defeated Djokovic all time, 10-0 Nole. But Raonic will be a bit more fresh this time.

A resurgent Azarenka playing well in 2020 against one of the game's best in Osaka in the final. Konta had been playing well as had Mertens. Some serve hiccups for Osaka today but her game is as good as anyone's today. Azarenka really returning serve very well, as an Azarenka of the past.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2020, 08:36:27 AM »
Osaka pulls out of Cincy Final, left hamstring. Azarenka takes Cincy title.(Her 2nd Cincy title, 2013)

Osaka is one of the big U.S. Open favorites, that begins Monday, with a more favorable draw on paper than some of the other favorites.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:38:04 AM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2020, 04:32:41 PM »
https://twitter.com/TennisTV/status/1299813396179750912?s=19

Tight 3 setter and Djokovic finds a way to win again.  Raonic had his chances. A one minute video look above at all 35 Djokovic Masters 1000 wins, becoming the first and only to win each at least twice.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2020, 05:46:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/TennisTV/status/1299813396179750912?s=19

Tight 3 setter and Djokovic finds a way to win again.  Raonic had his chances. A one minute video look above at all 35 Djokovic Masters 1000 wins, becoming the first and only to win each at least twice.

I don’t even know what else you can say about Joker. He looked DOA during that first set. Raonic was playing fantastic, Joker looked exhausted, under the weather, and struggling. Then he got his legs under him in set 2 and just executed a vintage, controlled cruise to victory. Dude is a cyborg

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2020, 08:23:05 AM »
French player Benoit Paire is the first bubble positive COVID-19. He is out of the U.S. Open.

Paire arrived in New York on the very last possible day allowed to compete in Cincinnati event, four days before his first round match. He retired from that match down 6-0,1-0 while appearing visibly ill. He will be replaced in the event.

All tournament badges are imbedded with a locator chip for contact tracing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 12:42:14 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2020, 08:48:39 AM »
For the U S. Open on Monday oepning, Arthur Ashe Stadium will have 8 large LED screens, 4 large Black Lives Matter signage in all four corners. Several New York Tough signage.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2020, 10:09:55 PM »
18 Black and BIPOC artists had their artwork featured in the front rows of the stands at Arthur Ashe Stadium during the U.S. Open. Their artwork is featured in this thread.

https://twitter.com/usopen/status/1300503929294385157?s=19

Also, Naomi Osaka wears a Breonna Taylor Mask to her match tonight.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:29:56 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2020, 11:04:31 PM »
18 Black and BIPOC artists had their artwork featured in the front rows of the stands at Arthur Ashe Stadium during the U.S. Open. Their artwork is featured in this thread.

https://twitter.com/usopen/status/1300503929294385157?s=19

Also, Naomi Osaka wears a Breonna Taylor Mask to her match tonight.

Osaka said she has 7 different masks with 7 different names on them for the tournament. She hopes to make the finals to be able to wear all of them.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2020, 09:03:59 AM »
Day One:

American Women opened 0-8 (yipes) but finished winning 7 straight. Many of the Women were teenagers  The Men went 8-5. Men from California went 5-0.

Zverev over Anderson in 4 sets in highest profile Men's match.

Yastrenska v Sharma and Sevastova v Gauff two of the best/most exciting Women's matches. Brady and Sevastova continue to be two of the best American Women players this year.

There was a Jack Sock sighting with a 5 set thriller win, and Stevie Johnson takes out Isner in 5.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2020, 02:16:19 PM »
Day One:

American Women opened 0-8 (yipes) but finished winning 7 straight. Many of the Women were teenagers  The Men went 8-5. Men from California went 5-0.

Yastrenska v Sharma and Sevastova v Gauff two of the best/most exciting Women's matches. Brady and Sevastova continue to be two of the best American Women players this year.

There was a Jack Sock sighting with a 5 set thriller win, and Stevie Johnson takes out Isner in 5.

Thanks, Mr. Tennis!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2020, 02:24:12 PM »
Day One:

Isner and Sock, another pair of promising Americans who will fail to ascend to the games highest levels.  Isner is 35 so he's on the back end of his career, and Sock is a fantastic doubles player, but he's fallen out of the top 200 for a variety of reasons including health.

Fritz, Opelka, and Steve Johnson seem to be the same issue as Isner.  Monster servers, but don't have the complete game and just need to get broken once and they are toast.  Fritz has the most promise IMO and he's still young.

The US has been great at producing guys in the top 50-200 in the ATP rankings, but light on true contenders for majors.  I REALLY like Tiafoe, but he has a long ways to go in consistency as well.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2020, 03:17:12 PM »
Thanks, Mr. Tennis!

I like and play a variety of sports.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2020, 07:06:39 PM »
Isner and Sock, another pair of promising Americans who will fail to ascend to the games highest levels.  Isner is 35 so he's on the back end of his career, and Sock is a fantastic doubles player, but he's fallen out of the top 200 for a variety of reasons including health.

Fritz, Opelka, and Steve Johnson seem to be the same issue as Isner.  Monster servers, but don't have the complete game and just need to get broken once and they are toast.  Fritz has the most promise IMO and he's still young.

The US has been great at producing guys in the top 50-200 in the ATP rankings, but light on true contenders for majors.  I REALLY like Tiafoe, but he has a long ways to go in consistency as well.

Various things here...

Isner has been ranked in the top 20 in the World, every year for 10 straight years. Not a lot of players can say that. It's a big accomplishment. He has a ceiling based on his service return and a few other things but he doesn't get enough credit for some of his success as a player. He hasn't had elite Slam success and he plays big man tennis which isn't always popular, but he's been solid, even top ten some years. 15 titles. The issue is that he has been the best American player during this time.

Sock has had the most talent, singles talent the past decade but has frequently had fitness issues. Unbelievably talented, work ethic and discipline comes and goes. Can't do that at this level. He's the Male version of Sloane Stephens when it comes to underachieving talent. Sloane likes the lights of the big events, plays better. And she's won a Slam and has won at a much higher level than Sock. She has had a bad couple of seasons for her.

Lots of big guys, Querrey, Opelka, Fritz, the mentioned Isner. The men's tennis height sweet spot is about 6'1, Fed, Sampras, Nadal, others.... There have been guys, Del Potro, Cilic both 6'6 to win majors but to consistently do it at the extreme physical heights are a bit fewer and far between.

Opelka and Fritz are very young and both top 25, and that us different from the 30 ish Querrey or Stevie Johnson (one of the all time best American college players at USC)

Tennis is a global sport. 3 of the 4 majors are not in the U.S. Indian Wells, Miami, Cincinnati are the three big American tour events. There are some others not at the elite field level. Good tennis is played all over the world these days.

The women have it going with 8 top 50 American players, and lots of depth. There have been several Black up and coming players inspired by the Williams sisters. There have been a few Americans with Russian backgrounds. There will always be some that go the college route. The top 10 highest paid female athletes in the world are tennis players. Money is good in Women's tennis compared to other professional Women's sports.

Competition vs other sports in the U.S. for Men is a thing. Isner was a very good basketball player. He chose tennis and it has worked out for him. He's earned $20 million plus playing not including annual endorsements and other money.

There have been some mishaps with path selection for Americans to make it as a pro. Not enough cooperation and too much competition for players USTA system vs Private.

The U.S. needs more Tiafoe players, homeless as a kid, hungry to play. Frances is one of the best U.S. talents right now. Only 22 years old and is close to turning a corner. He needs to better manage the strategic parts of the game and in match adjustments. His talent is there, needs to smooth out a few mechanics on his strokes.

15 of the top 20 Women are from different countries...and that extends even more as you keep going down the rankings list. The Men aren't too dissimilar. But there is no reason the U.S. can't have a handful of both Men and Women winning Grand Slams, top 10.

If healthy, Opelka, Fritz, Tiafoe, best U.S. Men's players right now. Opelka had a recent injury. Sock is dangerous with talent if he can stay away from the hot humid match times.

Brady, Pegula playing the best for the Women. Serena has a decent draw. Stephens, Keys, Anisimova, Kenin, capable. Kenin won the only Slam this year and had a great 2019.

Serena breaks record with 102 all time U.S. Open Singles Wins. Venus breaks record 22 U.S. Open appearances.

16 U.S. Women advance to round two, the most since 1995. 11 U.S. Men advance to round two, the most since 2012.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 10:44:35 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2020, 10:56:36 PM »
I like and play a variety of sports.

Me too ... though I'm gettin' a little too old to play some of 'em.

My parents played tennis well into their 70s, and I hope I do as well.

I seriously was thanking you for your reports. I'm a little less interested this year due to all those not playing (including my fave, Rafa), so I'm not watching it very much. So it's nice to read your stuff. Keep it coming, Mr. Tennis!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2020, 07:03:19 AM »
Me too ... though I'm gettin' a little too old to play some of 'em.

My parents played tennis well into their 70s, and I hope I do as well.

I seriously was thanking you for your reports. I'm a little less interested this year due to all those not playing (including my fave, Rafa), so I'm not watching it very much. So it's nice to read your stuff. Keep it coming, Mr. Tennis!

👍Thanks.

Some may say there is an asterisk (I don't) but you could have an asterisk in many eras for many reasons.

Random example: When the Australian Open was played at the end of the year as opposed ro the beginning, many people skipped it, especially elite American players. Now of course it is a must stop to begin the year for many.

I will check it but roughly speaking the U.S. Open draws contain 90 of the top 100 players in one draw and 80 plus of the top 100 players in the other draw. That's pretty good. And there is some variety with recent champions.

You just have to get more familiarity with some of the newer elite players just as you have in other eras. Many of them are there.

I am someone that can watch with or without fans, doesn't matter. I definitely prefer the usual raucous NYC atmosphere (each location has its own unique atmosphere) as it does not much better than some of the yesteryear Grandstand matches with an Argentine in the mix and the singing vibrating stands for example, or an American making a run. But I like the chess and intricacies of the play, and, for that, they can play in a quiet back alley somewhere, doesn't matter.

Sloane Stephens with perhaps the line of the night when asked about playing without fans, she joked: "I didn't realize how annoying it was to hear my coach after every point." Sloane also sported a "Black Lives Matter Mask"

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:22:31 AM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2020, 07:13:31 AM »
👍Thanks.

Some may say there is an asterisk (I don't) but you could have an asterisk in many eras for many reasons.

Random example: When the Australian Open was played at the end of the year as opposed ro the beginning, many people skipped it, especially elite American players. Now of course it is a must stop to begin the year for many.

I will check it but roughly speaking the U.S. Open draws contain 90 of the top 100 players in one draw and 80 plus of the top 100 players in the other draw. That's pretty good. And there is some variety with recent champions.

You just have to get more familiarity with some of the newer elite players just as you have in other eras. Many of them are there.

I am someone that can watch with or without fans, doesn't matter. I definitely prefer the usual raucous NYC atmosphere (each location has its own unique atmosphere) as it does not much better than some of the yesteryear Grandstand matches with an Argentine in the mix and the singing vibrating stands for example, or an American making a run. But I like the chess and intricacies of the play, and, for that, they can play in a quiet back alley somewhere, doesn't matter.

Fact check: I checked and....for the Men, on the money, 90 out of top 100 are playing.....and I'd say 4 to 6 wouls be potemtial contenders not playing. For the Women 77 of top 100 are playing, and I'd put it at a similar 4 to 6 contenders not playing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2020, 11:25:34 AM »
I’m just a big Rafa fan, so any tournament always loses some interest for me if he’s not playing or gets eliminated.

And now that I know that Sloan supports Marxists, I obviously can’t watch this tournament at all.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »
I’m just a big Rafa fan, so any tournament always loses some interest for me if he’s not playing or gets eliminated.

And now that I know that Sloan supports Marxists, I obviously can’t watch this tournament at all.

Well, Venus Williams wore a Wonder Woman mask last night, so, there"s that too.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2020, 01:17:57 PM »
Any talk during coverage from Flushing Meadows whether the hockey jersey American on the men's side was playing the circle game or flashing white power hand gesture?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »
Any talk during coverage from Flushing Meadows whether the hockey jersey American on the men's side was playing the circle game or flashing white power hand gesture?

It’s being looked into as we speak. JJ Wolf from Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio St. One of the former top Juniors and top college player, won his first round match at age 21 at the U.S. Open this year...

Several photos have emerged some alone, some with friends where he is either playing the Circle Game, or flashing White Power signs. Neither is a good look for him.

I can say a few of the American Men’s players have some outspoken extreme right wing views, including Sandgren, Harrison, even Isner. 

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 03:29:53 PM by shoothoops »

feedback