* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 10/15/20 by TedBaxter
[Today at 05:15:14 PM]

CBS Sports Big East Predictions by bilsu
[Today at 04:33:50 PM]

NCAA investigations cont. by Hards_Alumni
[Today at 02:03:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: A long offseason

Marquette
Marquette

Madness

Date/Time: Oct 16, 2020?
TV: NA
Schedule for 2019-20
18-12

Author Topic: Is a tectonic change coming to college sports?  (Read 14220 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • They want to take out the cows!
Re: Is a tectonic change coming to college sports?
« Reply #325 on: September 16, 2020, 04:55:09 PM »
Well, I also cited soccer, college football and NFL training camps, not just baseball. And NFL players are being tested daily and here we are, six days after the season opener and about 72 hours after most teams played, and there have been no reports of related infections. (This, of course, could change).

LSU had an outbreak of 30 or more football players getting the virus last June after many of the players visited the Tigerland bars near campus.

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/lsu/2020/09/16/lsu-football-covid-spike-happened-socially-coach-orgeron-honest-to-a-fault/5816165002/

As for right or wrong, I guess that depends on how one wants to judge. I think we both can agree that infections are possible, if not likely. But I wouldn't say playing was the wrong decision if infections occur. You may disagree.

I agree that soccer and college and pro football are better comparators. However, as you indicated, it is still early so the verdict is still out on whether they are a success or failure.

As for whether they could keep playing if infections occur, I think it depends on the speed and accuracy of the testing. If they truly have a highly sensitive test and can show that nobody else was exposed, it would seem reasonable to play. If they don’t, I think continuing would be a mistake.

And we have seen plenty of companies roll out tests that seem promising, but ultimately prove to be less reliable than advertised....

Fluffy Blue Monster

• All American
  • Send it in...medium-sized fella!!
« Reply #326 on: September 16, 2020, 07:44:27 PM »
To be perfectly honest, I feel way more comfortable with sports moving forward now than I did six weeks ago.  You don't need a bubble to make it work.  You need to take precautions, test, quarantine and isolate.  But you can move forward.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.”  -Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #328 on: September 17, 2020, 11:01:41 AM »
To be perfectly honest, I feel way more comfortable with sports moving forward now than I did six weeks ago.  You don't need a bubble to make it work.  You need to take precautions, test, quarantine and isolate.  But you can move forward.

College Football might be easier than NFL or even the MLB. 

You can cohort a non bubble college team and insist they don't socialize.  NFL players with have kids, especially school aged kids have the potential for much for interaction.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car    ---- Dr. Blackheart

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • They want to take out the cows!
« Reply #329 on: September 17, 2020, 01:53:16 PM »
I think it's cool that rapid testing seems to be evolving to the point that it might be possible to safely play team sports...but I also wonder why it isn't more widely available for the rest of us.

Seems like the first places rapid tests should go would be hospitals and other first responders, nursing facilities, schools...with any leftover capacity to entertainers.

But I gue$$ money talk$....