Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is a tectonic change coming to college sports?  (Read 48473 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Is a tectonic change coming to college sports?
« Reply #250 on: August 24, 2020, 08:42:23 AM »
Your first paragraph tries to claim people rising up is always proof that people have been mistreated but it doesn't really prove anything. All it takes is for easily influenced people to start a movement and see where it goes.

Also the argument for a top 100 football recruit losing out of money because they're stuck in college isn't great either. It assumes a new crop of 100 recruits get signed into the NFL every year. It also assumes that at 18 they're able to compete with grown men who do this professionally. I agree is BS that people get upset when stars skip meaningless bowl games but your kid ranked 99 isn't losing out on pro money by going to college for a year.

I agree with your first paragraph. I wasn't trying to use it as "proof," just as a sign that the athletes themselves are starting to rise up against being indentured servants.

Disagree with much of your second paragraph. I said nothing in my earlier comment about 18-year-olds. Who I specifically mentioned was Trevor Lawrence, who turns 21 in 2 months. He would have been the No. 1 draft pick had he been allowed to go pro after last season.

Thanks for the conversation.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #251 on: August 24, 2020, 09:13:13 AM »
I agree with your first paragraph. I wasn't trying to use it as "proof," just as a sign that the athletes themselves are starting to rise up against being indentured servants.

Disagree with much of your second paragraph. I said nothing in my earlier comment about 18-year-olds. Who I specifically mentioned was Trevor Lawrence, who turns 21 in 2 months. He would have been the No. 1 draft pick had he been allowed to go pro after last season.

Thanks for the conversation.

When I read your "top 100 football athlete" I took that as top 100 recruiting rankings hence the 18yr olds. Mea culpa

You are welcome for the conversation, let's do it again some time.   :)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #252 on: August 25, 2020, 06:58:35 AM »
Governor Is ‘Major Roadblock’ To Big Ten Playing Football
https://thespun.com/big-ten/michigan-wolverines/report-1-governor-is-major-roadblock-to-big-ten-playing-football
Before fans of Big Ten football prematurely celebrate, we have to inform you that a brief season might not happen this fall. In fact, there is one governor reportedly standing in the way of all the others.

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer is being referred to as a “roadblock” for Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn State. They need more teams to join them for a 10-game format, but that could be an issue.

“I also was also told that one roadblock to the new plan is the fact that Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has been vehemently opposed to football being played – at the high school and college level – in the state this fall,” Snook said. “Ohio Governor Mike DeWine gave his blessing to all sports being played this fall on Tuesday.”

If Gov. Whitmer doesn’t want football played in the state of Michigan this fall, we can cross the Wolverines off the list for the six-team, 10-game format.

At this point, Ohio State will have to ask other schools to support its proposal for a 2020 season.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #253 on: August 25, 2020, 07:37:02 AM »
With this turn, I'll say IBTL now.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #254 on: August 25, 2020, 10:07:36 AM »
Governor Is ‘Major Roadblock’ To Big Ten Playing Football
https://thespun.com/big-ten/michigan-wolverines/report-1-governor-is-major-roadblock-to-big-ten-playing-football
Before fans of Big Ten football prematurely celebrate, we have to inform you that a brief season might not happen this fall. In fact, there is one governor reportedly standing in the way of all the others.

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer is being referred to as a “roadblock” for Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn State. They need more teams to join them for a 10-game format, but that could be an issue.

“I also was also told that one roadblock to the new plan is the fact that Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has been vehemently opposed to football being played – at the high school and college level – in the state this fall,” Snook said. “Ohio Governor Mike DeWine gave his blessing to all sports being played this fall on Tuesday.”

If Gov. Whitmer doesn’t want football played in the state of Michigan this fall, we can cross the Wolverines off the list for the six-team, 10-game format.

At this point, Ohio State will have to ask other schools to support its proposal for a 2020 season.

A civil servant taking the care and concern of the entire population into account rather then cravenly caving to a small minority must confuse your neurological capacity.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #255 on: August 25, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
NC State pauses football, athletics due to coronavirus cluster within the program

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article245213960.html

N.C. State announced Monday that all athletic-related activities are suspended due to a coronavirus cluster within its sports programs.

In a statement on its website, N.C. State reported 27 cases within its athletic department, and of those, not all are athletes.

--------------

In the end, this won't be decided by commissioners, college presidents or governors. It will be decided by the virus.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #256 on: August 25, 2020, 01:56:27 PM »
A civil servant taking the care and concern of the entire population into account rather then cravenly caving to a small minority must confuse your neurological capacity.

Despite what some would have you believe here, the University of Michigan and Michigan State University are run by independently elected boards of regents, not the governor. While she may be able to exert some bully pulpit-style influence, she cannot be a "roadblock" to the universities playing football, short of a public health order (which she has not issued).

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #257 on: August 25, 2020, 02:00:40 PM »
And I think we would be hearing about this from multiple sources if she indeed was actually a roadblock.

There really isn't much evidence, based on lack of chatter from actual football writers, that this is anywhere near happening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #258 on: August 25, 2020, 03:14:58 PM »
I did a couple of Google searches, and can't find the answer to this (seemingly simple) question: Are the Big Ten football teams even still practicing?

I would assume not given the formal cancellation of the fall season, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. And assuming they aren't, the gap in practices alone makes it increasingly less likely the teams could 'catch up' in terms of readiness with the Big 12, ACC and SEC schools.

Anyone know for sure?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #259 on: August 25, 2020, 03:42:07 PM »
I did a couple of Google searches, and can't find the answer to this (seemingly simple) question: Are the Big Ten football teams even still practicing?

I would assume not given the formal cancellation of the fall season, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. And assuming they aren't, the gap in practices alone makes it increasingly less likely the teams could 'catch up' in terms of readiness with the Big 12, ACC and SEC schools.

Anyone know for sure?

Yes, practice remains mandatory.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2020, 11:06:48 PM »
Day by Day, College Football Sees More Signs of a Season in Jeopardy

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/sports/ncaafootball/coronavirus-college-football.html?referringSource=articleShare

Soon after the All-America list was released, Texas Tech announced that it had 21 active coronavirus cases in its football program, and Oklahoma Coach Lincoln Riley told reporters that an entire position group — save one player — had to stop practicing because of positive tests. And the preseason list came out one day after North Carolina State, which has moved classes online, said it would pause all sports activities after three clusters of cases broke out on campus, including one in athletics.

A telling moment about the reckoning that college football is facing came Monday in Tuscaloosa, Ala., where University of Alabama officials reported that they had recorded more than 500 cases since Aug. 19.

————————-

I suspect the only tectonic change we will see for a while is the absence of college football this fall…

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2020, 10:34:21 PM »
The SEC may be trying to have a season, but it will be without LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase, who will skip the season to focus on the NFL draft because of Covid.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29773535/source-lsu-receiver-jamarr-chase-enter-nfl-draft

MU82

• All American
« Reply #262 on: August 30, 2020, 10:36:57 PM »
The SEC may be trying to have a season, but it will be without LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase, who will skip the season to focus on the NFL draft because of Covid.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29773535/source-lsu-receiver-jamarr-chase-enter-nfl-draft

Sounds pretty smart.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2020, 10:51:34 AM »
Could it be back on for this fall?

https://twitter.com/@realDonaldTrump

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Had a very productive conversation with Kevin Warren, Commissioner of the Big Ten Conference, about immediately starting up Big Ten football. Would be good (great!) for everyone - Players, Fans, Country. On the one yard line!

Today at 10:18

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2020, 11:02:53 AM »
I am glad that this is what the President of the United States is concerned with.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #265 on: September 01, 2020, 11:13:00 AM »

Had a very productive conversation with Kevin Warren, Commissioner of the Big Ten Conference, about immediately starting up Big Ten football. Would be good (great!) for everyone - Players, Fans, Country. On the one yard line! But if the players engage in peaceful protest by respectfully taking a knee during the national anthem, I will send out 17-year-olds with assault rifles to make them stop.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #266 on: September 01, 2020, 11:34:06 AM »

Had a very productive conversation with Kevin Warren, Commissioner of the Big Ten Conference, about immediately starting up Big Ten football. Would be good (great!) for everyone - Players, Fans, Country. On the one yard line!

Where is his concern over the PAC-12?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2020, 01:07:12 PM »

The Big Ten is disputing, in so many words, that it is "on the one yard line."

Unless he means on their own one yard line. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2020, 01:09:12 PM »
Where is his concern over the PAC-12?

They BLUE their chance.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2020, 01:26:13 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2020, 02:50:12 PM »

https://sports.yahoo.com/trumps-big-ten-tweets-fit-agenda-not-reality-191816394.html

"To say multiple sources denied the notion of the Big Ten playing immediately would not be strong enough. The sources heartily laughed at it. The notion of playing around Thanksgiving is in embryonic discussion, and there’s a desire among coaches to start as early as possible. But “immediately” is in another universe, especially with multiple Big Ten teams not even having players on campus right now."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2020, 03:07:11 PM »
But SirYacht said the Big 10 season starts Oct. 10...

Parker Gabriel @HuskerExtraPG
Reached via text this afternoon, #Huskers AD Bill Moos said of the Oct. 10 Big Ten start date rumor: "There's nothing to that."
Moos is part of a subcommittee that is looking into potential scheduling models as part of the league's return to competition group.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2020, 07:48:13 PM »
I am glad that this is what the President of the United States is concerned with.

More BS from Trump.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2020, 07:59:30 PM »
But SirYacht said the Big 10 season starts Oct. 10...

Parker Gabriel @HuskerExtraPG
Reached via text this afternoon, #Huskers AD Bill Moos said of the Oct. 10 Big Ten start date rumor: "There's nothing to that."
Moos is part of a subcommittee that is looking into potential scheduling models as part of the league's return to competition group.

@dpshow
“From source: If conference can pass updated safety measures and procedures, Big Ten targeting Oct. 10 to start football season.” - Dan Patrick

——

I can imagine the thrill MU82 is having over Trump facilitating this!!!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2020, 08:05:20 PM »
@dpshow
“From source: If conference can pass updated safety measures and procedures, Big Ten targeting Oct. 10 to start football season.” - Dan Patrick

——

I can imagine the thrill MU82 is having over Trump facilitating this!!!

After the Dan Patrick show aired:

1. https://twitter.com/huskerextrapg/status/1300882816121671681?s=21 (scroll down to link to article)

2. https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1300930151023169536?s=21
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:12:06 PM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.